Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• OldDIYer
    OldDIYer Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    airforce wrote: »
    I been offered the following deal £18/mth plus line rental for 24 mth contract BT Infinity 1 unlimited upto 52mb
    Any opinions on this deal?

Several people on here have been offered £14/mth + line rental, 12 mth contract for Infinity 1 Unlimited up to 52Mb.

However, SSE is free + line rental and anytime calls (£21) for even faster broadband, 18 mth contract, plus £136.50 cashback via TopCashBack.

I make that £13.42/mth. If you want caller display it's + £3.50/mth, but that's still less than BT's line rental of £18.99/mth and you're getting anytime calls and faster broadband.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Problem is i want BT Sport do SSE offer it ??
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 May 2016 at 8:16PM
    I've just rung BT as I was due for renewal. £19's a lot for line rental but their all pushing it up.

Anyway, I was shocked to discover Unlimited BT Infinity 2 was/is going up to £32.50 a month. Thats eye-watering. Currently on £24.50.

After some too-ing and fro-ing they offered me £19 line rental with free caller display, £17.50 BT Infinity 2, £5.50 BT TV, Free BT Sport and free HD. I also chose Netflix at £7 and Sky Sports HD at £29 (ouch), but thats still cheaper than getting it from SKY directly. So I renewed, saving £240 over the year, over the full price.

'Now why did I do that?', many will ask. Its because 1 - I like them. 2 - I've never had any problems with them (even when I've had a problem) and 3 - because their services work, superbly. Not to mention the excellent BT Sport offerings.

Why didn't I go rushing and gushing to SSE? Why? Because I wouldn't be seen dead with that outfit. Theres a reason their cheap and thats because their crap. They offer poor services that are plagued by problems and their customer service is even worse. They've been shedding customers by the bucket load in the last 2 years and the ridiculously low prices being quoted on here is their panic response to stop or at least lower churn.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/sse-worst-big-six-energy-6826609#gxRJROrGkcgFb6Mj.97

I don't recommend them.
  • OldDIYer
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Problem is i want BT Sport do SSE offer it ??

No BT Sport offered by SSE, but I worked out that they'd still be cheaper than my BT offer even if I paid the full £21.99/mth (£26.99 HD) to get it on Sky. If you don't have Sky there's no contest. Stick with BT but don't pay more than others are being offered.
  • OldDIYer
    VisionMan wrote: »

Why didn't I go rushing and gushing to SSE? Why? Because I wouldn't be seen dead with that outfit. Theres a reason their cheap and thats because their crap. They offer poor services that are plagued by problems and their customer service is even worse. They've been shedding customers by the bucket load in the last 2 years and the ridiculously low prices being quoted on here is their panic response to stop or at least lower churn.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/sse-worst-big-six-energy-6826609#gxRJROrGkcgFb6Mj.97

I don't recommend them.

The reviews on MSE site don't agree! http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#fibreoptic

Broadband Customer Service:
    Great/OK/Poor %

BT 27/29/44
    SSE 65/13/22
    Sky 37/34/29
    TalkTalk 17/26/57
    Virgin 50/30/21

SSE's Great score is best by far and only Virgin has a lower poor score!
  • JJ_Egan
    edited 23 May 2016 at 12:21PM
    Problem with that is that compared to the numbers in use a poll of 100 or so is useless .

For me personally its also a case of i don't want to go with a reseller .
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    OldDIYer wrote: »
    The reviews on MSE site don't agree! http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#fibreoptic

Broadband Customer Service:
    Great/OK/Poor %

BT 27/29/44
    SSE 65/13/22
    Sky 37/34/29
    TalkTalk 17/26/57
    Virgin 50/30/21

SSE's Great score is best by far and only Virgin has a lower poor score!

I've gone with SSE, but am beginning to have some doubts. About 3 weeks ago I moved my gas / electric to them and they have just messed up my final readings, meaning I've started based on an estimate.

A week ago I signed up for broadband and Quidco hasn't tracked. I tried to put in a claim, but I can't without a contract number, which SSE hasn't supplied yet - so it isn't a promising start!
  • markg73
    markg73 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Just called BT about my line rental and told them that the so called saver option was hardly a saving. I remember 3 years ago paying £129 and now its now £194. The chap was clearly not interested as he said that line rental saver option is non-negotiable. Told me to phone back in November when my broadband was and they could sort something...

Not happy!!

Mark
  • JJ_Egan
    If you are not happy then source an alternative and leave .
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately there are no viable alternative providers to BT when your fibre service is FTTP rather that FTTC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback