Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with BT - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    Haggle with BT - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM

Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-01-2018 at 9:37 AM.
Page 10
    • swanny65
    • By swanny65 10th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    swanny65
    Hi

Just had my BT email advising our package was being increased from 71.98 pcm to 76.98 pcm. I had always been with BT as i needed a good connection and confess I had let this slip, I always move my electricity / gas every 12 months.

I called and said I was considering moving to plusnet and had never had a discount previously from BT.

The adviser was polite and helpful and provided the following:

BB (Fibre UL at 66 - 80 mgbts) + Line rental = 27.99
    TV = 7.50
    BT Sport = 3.50

Total 38.99 (a saving of 37.99 pcm)
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 10,840 Posts
    • 4,639 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Does that include the Sept increase ??
    • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • By JaneDoeJohnDoe 12th Aug 18, 2:15 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    JaneDoeJohnDoe
    Haggled twice
    Girlfriend had not realised her BT contract had expired as was being charged a lot with just 50p knocked off basic price.

Told her to haggle them down. Their "best offer" for Unlimited fibre 1 (50mb), Weekend calls was 31-99. (inc line rental but not line rental saver)

Considering I got that only a couple of weeks ago for 27-49 (& my BT sport with 7 off a month) I told her to further haggle & low & behold after a further "chat" with her "informing" BT of that fact plus including a quote for another supplier the price was dropped to 27-99 a month.
    • diesel dog
    • By diesel dog 13th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    diesel dog
    Has anyone downgraded from superfast 2 to one and been offered a good deal. I've been quoted 39.99 for sf2 and 52.49 to downgrade to good old simple superfast
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 13th Aug 18, 8:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paully28
    [QUOTE=JJ Egan;74639466]
    How much would you say I should be getting my BT package for.
    I have BB fibre unlimited 1
    landline
    Evening & weekend free calls
    Entertainment plus
    BT sport

36- 40
    Originally posted by Paully28
    Thanks for giving me a benchmark. I called BT to see what they could do and I have a new contract with;

BB fibre unlimited 1
    Landline
    Caller display
    Privacy caller display
    Evening & weekend free calls
    Entertainment plus TV
    BT Sport

for 33.69 per month
    • gravers007
    • By gravers007 17th Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gravers007
    Question about haggling - my broadband deal with BT is due to end in a couple of weeks. I am also in the process of moving house in the not to distant future. If i cancel my current BT contract and get a rolling contract for now, could I get a new customer offer with BT once I've moved into my new place?

Or is that wishful thinking?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    • 10,840 Posts
    • 4,639 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Contract is at current abode new abode = new customer .
    • gravers007
    • By gravers007 17th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gravers007
    Contract is at current abode new abode = new customer .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Thanks very much for clarifying!

Just got off the line with BT and the offered me a renewal offer of:
    - BT broadband (Cant remember the name but up to 50mb)
    - same call package (not really needed as we don't even have a house phone)
    - BT sport free

Price offered is 27 a month - however after line rental saver for first 12 months this gives an effective monthly price of 25.93/month.

Forgot my credit card at home so haven't actually processed it - can't really see me getting much more off. Anyone think I can get a better deal with them?
    • andydcag
    • By andydcag 18th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andydcag
    Successful Haggle :-)
    First post on the forum so hello MSE world!

So I was hit with my first 53.99 bill this month for Superfast 1 and evening/weekend call package. Was paying 36.49 previously - just come out of a discounted 12 month contract.
    Rang BT (08007831401) and got through to Joanne in Warrington who could not have been more helpful.
    I basically said that my latest bill was more than I was prepared to pay so I was thinking of leaving. She immediately came back with offer no 1 which was something like 42. I said I'd been looking at less than that. Then she went to 31.99 (plus 4 for the weekend calls).
    I said I'd been shopping around and was looking for something below 30. After a couple more offers heading in the right direction I eventually settled for 27.99 (well 28.49 from Sep) for everything I already have, plus caller ID. 18 month contract which I'm fine with for that money. My speed is around 72MB/s despite them saying that Superfast 1 only averages 52MB/s.

So I'm pretty chuffed, and as a reluctant haggler I think I did pretty well. If I can do it, anyone can! Thanks to all the encouragement on this forum, I took the plunge and ultimately saved 26 a month
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin