Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    • 521Posts
    • 1,896Thanks
    bellevie
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life
    • 23rd Aug 15, 9:38 PM
    Preparing for the biggest move of our life 23rd Aug 15 at 9:38 PM
    I'm a single parent to 1 child.

I work for a public sector charitable organisation, whom are making major changes. There are a few jobs remaining, though we have all been guaranteed the same job & pay if we transfer to the northern office...200 miles away.

So after a few weeks of thinking it over, I am becoming more and more certain its the way to go.

As a single parent, where I am, I will never be able to afford a home of our own. Its quite an important goal to me, it doesn't need to be big, a small 2 bed terrace or flat will suffice. I would just like some security for DD's future, for my old age, and some space within the monthly budget to save for uni costs, or help her with her own deposit so that she isn't struggling into her 30's as I have done.

So, I have decided I will either:
    1) Take the offer and move up early part of 2016, renting initially with a view to having a deposit sorted within 3 years.

2) Get a better paid role in the southern office save some more, find a different job and move in 2 years, perhaps slightly more choice in where I move to? Though DD will be 2 years older so I am conscious that this may impact her more later than me.

Either way, I am moving. Our current life in this lovely, beautiful town is just not financially sustainable.

I'm starting my moving fund at 210.64, no set target yet just as much as I can so that I rely on the relocation package as little as possible.

Here goes........
    Last edited by bellevie; 24-08-2015 at 8:14 PM.
Page 24
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 14th Jul 18, 8:19 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    So I received a pleasant surprise, when after my request for extra hours and 'not right now's it's been suggested I could actually have some for 6-9 months during my managers maternity leave as there's a budget allocated but they've mostly divided up duties with existing managers. I had to put another case forward, well not as detailed as before I gave my interim manager a couple of ideas about what I could do and she will prepare a case. It's still got to be approved so not 100% but an unexpected surprise. My other manager thinks we should have a good idea of the restructure within 3-6 months so at that stage I will have a good idea on whether or not I'm likely to be safe.
    After that bit of news it really hit me, I don't want the other job I had applied for, so I politely retracted my application.
    Car finance ends October 2020
    Debt 1: 556 Debt 2: 800
    Savings 1: 900 Savings 2: 798 Savings 3: 862
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 18th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Hours approved, savings here I come

We also managed to secure a 2 year tenancy renewal, we asked if we could improve the garden, our landlord approved and the rent increases were not too excessive.

I can't remember if I wrote we changed our car a couple of months ago. I've just been through my statement and seen I'm only topping up fuel every other week!! It's also tax free so all in all I've saved 67 per month!!
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 1st Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi Bellevie

Hope you are well. I'm so pleased that you have met someone that you and DD adore. You will have your forever home soon enough. Sorry to hear about your loss though and I hope you are feeling a little better about it.

Your debts have come down way quicker than mine, I need to stop silly spends and get the last lot gone. Catch up more soon.

Take care.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = 15837.59
    DEBT 1 - 41.10 DEBT 2 - 257.41 DEBT 3 - 584.12 DEBT 4 - 700.00
    DEBT 5 - 655.02 DEBT 6 - 669.18 DEBT 7 - 3448.00 DEBT 8 - 2169.12
    DEBT 9 - 2964.25 DEBT 10 - 4349.39
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 1st Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 10,876 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Good news on car and garden!
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5.5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 16%

• bellevie
    • By bellevie 11th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    We had a lovely cheap break to North Devon. Right balance of excitement for DD and a chance for us to recharge. The weather was forcast to be pants, but the sun made its way out. It was cooler than it has been were we lived but somehow we picked up quite a colour, I think it was because it was cooler it was enjoyable. Our home town was 33 most days prior to our holiday, neither of us coped well!!!

Payday soon should be a little better with the extra hours.
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 7th Jan 19, 8:36 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 6,965 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello bellevie,
    I just wanted to pop in and say hello as I've not been on here in a while and wanted to check in. I hope all is going great and that 2019 is kind to you.
    MTx
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 12th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Hi Mt,

Happy new year to you, I hope 2019 brings you all you wish for

Doing OK here, well mixed bag I'll update with a fresh post

Xx
    Last edited by bellevie; 13-01-2019 at 4:42 PM.
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 12th Jan 19, 10:45 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Sooo I'm not quite sure where the time went after summer. We all focused on work & school taking each day as it came and before we knew it christmas arrived.

I was relatively well prepared, had started shopping early. We nearly cancelled trip to DP family as DD came down ill for 2 weeks. She had no signs other than a fever burning burning hot. GP sent her home with the usual viral diagnosis. I was sure it wasn't she had no other symptoms at all, no runny nose, no rash, no blocked ears, no chestiness absolutely zilch. The second week I went back to GP quite irate, she was sent to hospital for a quick blood test. High white blood cells suggested infection, of what we had no idea all other checks revealed zilch. We were given antibiotics and they kicked in pretty quickly, by Christmas eve plans were back on track.

Christmas was lovely, tiring but lovely.

Back to work.... Work had been at the back of my mind for a while. The changes ended up being announced as another restructure - we got the news last week.

Two teams being completely wiped out and in affect restarted but merged into one role. The positions coming back are less than being made redundant so there will be some loses.

I get the idea behind the suggested plans but I had some strong views numbers wise. I think I'm in a good position to know because the two roles they are merging I actually work, as two separate jobs at the same desk for same employer.

I have queried with HR why I can't be assimilated into the role as its exactly what I do now but officially known as 1 role. My managers couldn't answer me, but they too are having to reapply for their jobs.

I had emailed HR asking for the name of someone to speak to directly to pose my question. Before they had responded my director stopped me to ask how I felt. I was honest in my feelings that the idea is good, working the two roles I've always wondered why they couldn't be merged, but they have underestimated the work load. The only solution I see if they want a genuine merger of roles is a review of patch sizes, which would mean extra heads.
    He took my opinion on board and agreed they are likely to be reviewed, he suggested I put the feedback through officially. He went on to to say the role is essentially what I do now so he hopes I do apply because I have the passion they are looking to keep.

I started to calm a little after that. I did feed back formally using statistics to evidence my point, and put proposals forward that we reduce one role and keep same numbers or to offer identical service the numbers we need.

HR then came back to me with a name.... I almost dropped my initial enquiry but I though actually no. I do the jobs that are being merged, I would like to know why I cannot be moved across.

What really confused me, the job description doesn't actually list duties of the role, more characteristics they are looking for, with an outline of two parts of the role that's it.

The pay of the role is a slight increase, others don't feel its enough but as I have been doing it for the same pay as the sole roles to me its a welcome increase.

The process is going to drag out a little I don't expect interviews to be till March. I think I'm going to save as much as I can and apply hoping for the best. If I'm unsuccessful I should have a few months wages behind me and a little redundancy to buy me time to look for a new job. Fingers crossed that won't be the case.

Money wise we should be ready to start looking properly for homes from December onwards - subject to me not using up my savings being out of work!!
    Last edited by bellevie; 13-01-2019 at 4:49 PM.
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 12th Jan 19, 11:17 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    My debt saw a slight increase a few months because I got a new larger wardrobe. I could have taken it from my savings but I'm wary of leaving my bank too low, so I opted for interest free.

Out of my savings this month took 200 out for dds room. I regretted the high-rise bed quite soon after we got it, thank goodness it was second hand & cheap. Dd wasn't as good as I'd have liked with bed covers, I hated climbing it weekly. We picked up a bed in the sale @argos & a desk. Sold her high-rise so made our money back on that what we paid. Her room is a little more grown up, suitable for an almost tween and easy for her to look after.

I get paid again next Friday, il make up that 200 and hopefully some more - I have dogs vaccination & car mot in the next few weeks so fingers tightly crossed.

Dogs insurance has gone up 3, I did get 1 month free last year if I remember rightly so it actually isn't a large increase., but I will see if I can cut that back a bit.

Car insurance I think renews in Feb so I'll take a look at that too.

Savings 2 will slowly drop as its moved over to savings 1, its help to buy moving to Lisa. What I don't want to do is move a lump sum and need it as I can't withdraw from LISA without a penalty unless its to buy our house. When I know work is safe and I've got a little more in savings 3, I'll move it all over.
    Savings 3 is instant access, I'm building that up as accessible savings but I worked out if I save as I plan to should be able to clear my car finance a year early!!!

Debt 1 should be clear by May, debt 2 by October assuming work is OK. I may switch that up actually because most of debt 1 is interest free..... Back to my spreadsheet
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 19th Jan 19, 2:23 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Debt & savings transfered to where they need to be.
    We also booked our summer holiday, another UK break we have 4 months to pay so I made my monthly payment today.

I've had a good clean up downstairs while dp works overtime. I love a nice smelling home.

We plan to go to aldi tonight see if it's a little quieter than day time.

I have enough in savings 2 & 3 now to clear my smaller debts, but I'm very wary of leaving myself with no back up if I have to look for a new job in the next couple of months.

I've been going over my options work wise. If I stay for the near identical job to mine, I'll be around 110 per month better off. If I am made (or opt for) redundancy I will get a nice booster for our house savings, though I might find myself taking a slight pay cut in similar jobs. So assuming I'm able to get a job very quickly should I need to, both of the ways forward should have a positive outcome for our house buying goal.

I still can't quite decide what I'd rather. I'm torn about the new role that I may not find it rewarding and after a while be keen to leave, but I don't want to leave and find myself in another review. I'm trying not to make rash decisions and wait for the full confirmed details which should be confirmed in the next month or so....fingers crossed I pick the right path.
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 20th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Mse head on today.
    I saw a 1.50 cashback bonus offer on quidco & 4% on amazon. I had been holding off replacing my hoover that dp accidentally broke and using an old one that he broke the long arm on..... Dp is very clumsy so with that little insentive I went ahead.
    I also saw 60 cash back offer for car insurance, I went ahead with a quote and it was all in all 105 cheaper... So with cashback 165 saved there.

When cash back comes through that'll go back into savings
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 26th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Mixed bag this week. Busy week at work, all feeling very nervous about what the next few months hold. Tempers are short, it's quite difficult to be around everyone when we all feel so low.

I had some good discussions with senior people, well as high up as I could really I hope I have encouraged positive steps for the future.

One of my colleagues I found out is leaving, she is probably one of the people I relate to most so I will be very sad to see her go.

Yesterday I found out I had won 60 on a penny bingo game!!! I haven't played it for years but spotted a cashback offer before Xmas. I topped up the mandatory 10, played a few games won nothing. Then this week I have been bombarded by email a from the company. So I went on to spend the remainder of my 10.....and won 60!!! I promptly withdrew it.

Today Mr T had his vaccination first thing the wait for the vets was stressful the jab itself over with quickly. 55 later.
    We got home dp wanted to go into the next town to deposit money insisted I come, rushing around after dropping MrT back I walked out, he shut the door to my horror he wasn't holding any keys and I definitely didn't have them. He point blank refused to call a locksmith so spent a good 2 hours trying to get in. It would not happen. Eventually he relented. 50 later we were back into our house.

I postponed MrTs groom as his money paid for the locksmith and bingo winnings when cleared I guess will be Mr Ts haircut.

In and straight out again.... Grrrrr

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 5th Feb 19, 1:56 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bellevie
    Off work today DD isn't feeling well she woke at 2am burning hot, didn't get back to sleep til 4pm

So we are awaiting news on the change at work expected to come through next week.
    Also next week I secured an external interview for a local council. The job is the same that I do now, there is a bit of a paycut.

I made this application when I first found out about the news at work when I was angry, and in recent weeks I've only become more and more frustrated with how things have panned out. Unless there are reasonable changes made I'm struggling to see me staying there even with the payrise.

So I've looked at my sums. I could do this, it would reduce my savings potential but I'm thinking if I'm happier day to day and if it brings me a better home life balance I'm very tempted by the move.

There are 3 people on the interview panel which surprised me a little, its really not a senior role so I'm not sure if it's just their policy or if it is a new role to them. It's making me a little nervous I won't lie :/

Either way staying put or leaving major change is on the cards!!!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 10th Feb 19, 8:04 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 4,111 Thanks
    DD265
    Any news on the work front yet?

It's easy for me as I'm not in your position, but there's no point worrying about whether to take the job before you get offered it.
    Credit Cards 2019 - 300/8000 paid off - 3.75%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - 0/1500 - 0%
    January 2019 NSDs - 18/20
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

2,492Users online

Martin's Twitter