Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 83
    • DRY411S
    • By DRY411S 13th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRY411S
    Was paying 96.50 for Sky HD+ & all channels & multiroom. Had separate phone & broadband contract with SSE that was about to rise to 49.99 a month.

Lucky enough to be in a VM cabled area who have a VIP Bundle for 88 over 18 months (phone, broadband, TV inc Sky Sports and Cinema).

Invited Sky to beat the 88, which they have done, including free Sky Q 2TB and Sky mini. I have pay only the 65 installation feed.

End result is 84 per month versus what was about to become 146.49 = almost 750 per year saving, + latest Sky Q for 65.
    • DRY411S
    • By DRY411S 13th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DRY411S
    With NowTv I assume you can't record ?
    Originally posted by jerrysimon
    You cannot, but they have an 'on demand' streaming so you have (typically) 4 weeks to watch some programs that you missed when it was live.
    • comalley2015
    • By comalley2015 14th May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comalley2015
    Offers during cancellation period
    Hi,

I placed my cancellation for Sky TV cancellation around two weeks ago (full HD package). I received a text message, linking to an online chat offer.

I was offered 43 a month for the full HD TV package or 59 per month for 12 months (up to 91 per month after 12 months) for a 2TB Sky Q Box, two free mini boxes and free installation.

Is this is a good deal or should I hold fire? Sky Q contract is 18 months.

Cheers,

C
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th May 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I placed my cancellation for Sky TV cancellation around two weeks ago (full HD package). I received a text message, linking to an online chat offer.

I was offered 43 a month for the full HD TV package or 59 per month for 12 months (up to 91 per month after 12 months) for a 2TB Sky Q Box, two free mini boxes and free installation.

Is this is a good deal or should I hold fire? Sky Q contract is 18 months.
    Originally posted by comalley2015
    I wouldn't touch that Q offer with a barge pole, full price for 6 months??? No thanks.

What's your definition of "the full HD TV package"? Does that include multi-room as well?
    • comalley2015
    • By comalley2015 14th May 18, 3:38 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comalley2015
    Offers during cancellation period
    Sky HD offer is not multiscreen
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Sky HD offer is not multiscreen
    Originally posted by comalley2015
    So, what does it include?
    • peteywoods
    • By peteywoods 22nd May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    peteywoods
    New Sky contract
    Hi, I got a reasonable deal for 12 months which I accepted but then I got an email saying that my minimum contract period was extending to 18 months but that there is a 31-day cooling off period when I can cancel. Should I call Sky's bluff and cancel as I think it will mean that I will end up paying full price for the last 6 months of the contract?
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd May 18, 7:54 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Hi, I got a reasonable deal for 12 months which I accepted but then I got an email saying that my minimum contract period was extending to 18 months but that there is a 31-day cooling off period when I can cancel. Should I call Sky's bluff and cancel as I think it will mean that I will end up paying full price for the last 6 months of the contract?
    Originally posted by peteywoods
    Please be careful. Your 31-day cooling off period is only for the start of your new 18 month contract. So you can cancel your contract during the first 31 days only. It is not for the last 6 months, when you will pay full price.

Have you tried live online chat ?. With luck you will get an Indian. They do some very good deals normally. I have been lucky for several years now. For example, I am on a 50% off deal for Sky TV including sky sports on a rolling contract. So I can cancel my TV deal anytime by giving 31 days notice.

You other option is to cancel you deal anytime as I am sure that Sky will increase their prices in the next 18 months.
    • Uncle_Bob
    • By Uncle_Bob 22nd May 18, 8:02 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Uncle_Bob
    ... Have you tried live online chat ?. With luck you will get an Indian. They do some very good deals normally. ,,,
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    That's interesting. When I used the chat facility the person told me that he couldn't offer any deals but if I 'phoned he was sure somebody would be able to help me. (I haven't called yet). Do you guys generally have more success by 'phone or by chat?

I'll re-post my query that I mis-posted elsewhere:

We have been SKY customers for over 30 years and, to my eternal shame, have never once haggled over price so I'm looking for some tips!

We currently have a SKY HD+ box and pay for the Variety, Movies, and HD packages for a monthly total of 64.50. The box is old and, I think, on its last legs - recordings frequently fail and when they do appear to have taken place playback produces nothing but silence and a blue screen, and it regularly freezes such that we have to unplug it (and wait 10 minutes for it to 'initialise' again).

I'd like to get the SKY Q 2TB box and, having recently bought a new TV, be able to watch some UHD content. Via Live Chat I established that, as a VIP of some status or other (= 30 year mug!), I can get the box without the normal installation fee but would have to pay an additional 12/month for multi-room even though we only ever watch SKY in one room. When I balked at this the Live Chat bod said he couldn't offer any deals but he was sure that if I called there would be deals available.

So, what's the best approach here and what could I expect in terms of fees?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    We have been SKY customers for over 30 years and, to my eternal shame, have never once haggled over price so I'm looking for some tips!
    Originally posted by Uncle_Bob
    Hang your head in shame

They insist on this 12 multiscreen for UHD content charge (main box only mind, not on the mini boxes) and I still don't know if it's for a technical reason or just price gouging (I strongly suspect the latter as even if you take up multiscreen HD is still an extra charge...)).

I would definitely call and give your reason for the call as "retentions".

You're a top tier VIP member which does mean free installation of Q plus a free DVD and even a dedicated phone line for CS. You're probably best to join up to VIP first via the app on Android or iOS https://www.sky.com/newmyskyapp so you can use the reserved phone line.

Be aware that you may need to schedule a cancellation (and at least sound like you mean it) to get a decent deal.

As a starting point new customers can get Entertainment, Cinema, HD, Multiscreen (so UHD) and the 2TB box for just 47 a month with 65 installation. The full monthly price after 18 months is just 55. Given what you're paying there's a lot of wriggle room.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 22-05-2018 at 8:49 AM. Reason: typo
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    All they've seemingly done (unless you have something else in writing) is to extend the deal from 12 months to 18 at the same price. Presuming you're happy with the price you need do nothing. Can you copy and paste what the offer is?
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 22nd May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    shaggy
    Originally posted by Uncle_Bob
    Dear God. Hang your head in shame!

To Sky, you're like a premium VIP member! They love you as customers like you help increase their profits by an even bigger margin!
    Call them up, select the option that says 'if youre thinking of leaving us' ... and see what they can offer. Cancel the contract and wait for a better offer.

I've had my sky switched off for nearly a month now, and dont miss it one bit. Im making an easy 40 a month saving which goes towards the holiday fund!
    • peteywoods
    • By peteywoods 23rd May 18, 9:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    peteywoods
    All they've seemingly done (unless you have something else in writing) is to extend the deal from 12 months to 18 at the same price. Presuming you're happy with the price you need do nothing. Can you copy and paste what the offer is?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    See below, my offer runs for 12 months but I read this as extending my contract period to 18 months!

If you do not currently have a Sky Premium Contract Pack and are adding one to your Option, the minimum term for the Pack is the same as the Sky TV minimum term shown above.

If you have either of the Sky Premium Contract Packs and are adding another;
    a new contract with a new 18 month minimum term applies to your Sky TV services (including your Sky Premium Contract Packs).
    As set out in your existing Sky TV contract, you have a 14 day cooling off period during which you can cancel your order at any time without giving any reason. If you do this your TV services will end but you will need to pay for any services provided up to that point. See your contract for full details.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th May 18, 7:00 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    See below, my offer runs for 12 months but I read this as extending my contract period to 18 months!

If you do not currently have a Sky Premium Contract Pack and are adding one to your Option, the minimum term for the Pack is the same as the Sky TV minimum term shown above.

If you have either of the Sky Premium Contract Packs and are adding another;
    a new contract with a new 18 month minimum term applies to your Sky TV services...
    The "Sky Premium Contract Packs" seem to be the Sports or Cinema options which were (as far as I'm aware) rolling monthly contracts and didn't affect your core TV subscription. Those T&C's are saying that if you don't have either then your contract length stays the same. If however you already have one and are adding the 2nd then you're agreeing to a new 18 month minimum term. How this applies to current discounts I have no clue.

Must admit to have never having heard of that before but it "only" seems to apply if you joined Sky TV before 18 July 2017 (no idea what the date implies) according to the following:

http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/new/

under the heading of:

Sky TV customers adding Sky Sports/Sky Cinema Premium Packs

Sky are full of (sometimes) contradictory T&C's which are possibly just legacy ones that have not been removed. When I added a talk package last year I was getting emails and messages on My Sky telling me I'd signed up to a new 12/18 month contract which were just plain wrong.

You need to talk to them and preferably get it in writing.
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 25th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Was on a 60% Off offer paying 24.60 for Variety and Sports on a 31 day rolling contract.

Gave 31 days notice to cancel via Live Chat (UK based) yesterday morning.

Best they could offer was Entertainment @ 15 and Sports @ 15 per month on an 18 month contract with a 10 admin fee.

Could have been 29 per month (Entertainment @ 11 and Sports @ 17 and Kids 1 per month) BUT ONLY if I took the Kids Pack which I don't want or need again on an 18 month contract with a 10 admin fee.

Needless to say very poor and definitely not good enough so cancelled.

Found another offer online immediately after cancelling at sky.com/mydeal (basically an accounts pending cancellation choose your pack type offer) and not easily found via their website! This was so well hidden in fact that the Indian based Live Chat at first denied it even existed and said it was not shown as being an offer available on my account.

Entertainment @ 13.00 per month (20 less 35% discount on a 12 month contract)
    Sports @ 14.50 per month (28 less 48.21428% discount on a 31 day rolling contract)
    Effectively a net total discount of 41.60714%

Then tried Live Chat again yesterday afternoon (Indian based this time) and managed to negotiate what I consider to be a decent deal given the deals some people have been offered and accepted recently.

Entertainment @ 11.00 per month (20 less 45% discount on a 12 month contract)
    Sports @ 14.50 per month (28 less 48.21428% discount on a 31 day rolling contract)
    Effectively a net discount of 46.60714%

Accepted that and happy with only a 0.90 per month increase for another 12 months with only the loss of the Kids programmes which were never watched anyway.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 25th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    shaggy

Entertainment @ 11.00 per month (20 less 45% discount on a 12 month contract)
    Effectively a net discount of 46.60714%

Accepted that and happy with only a 0.90 per month increase for another 12 months with only the loss of the Kids programmes which were never watched anyway.
    Originally posted by youravinalarrrf
    thats quite possibly one of the better offers in recent months. Not bad at all. Can you take 'entertainment' off and put 'kids' on instead? Might be interested in this deal, but again, im in no hurry to go back to sky. Netflix is keeping us busy as far as TV is concerned.
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 25th May 18, 5:40 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Can you take 'entertainment' off and put 'kids' on instead?
    Originally posted by shaggy
    The Entertainment pack is the basis of all the Sky TV deals and the one pack you must definitely have.

All the other TV packs and HD options including the Kids pack are separately priced and can be added to the Entertainment pack depending on your requirements.
    • danmanchester
    • By danmanchester 26th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    danmanchester
    My last Sky 12 months deal ended at the start of April (35pm for everything, prior to that was on another deal, an MSE 12 months @ 30pm) so I actually cancelled this time as no offers or incentives to stay were forthcoming.
    Then this week received this in the post:

Does anyone think that this is most likely to be the best offer or still hold off for a while yet?

I really only want the Sports in HD so if my maths are correct: Entertainment @ 13pm, HD @ 1pm and Sports @ 14.50pm = 28.50pm
    but this offer ends (for me anyway) on 31 May.

I'm not bothered about boxsets or the movies

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 26th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My last Sky 12 months deal ended at the start of April (35pm for everything, prior to that was on another deal, an MSE 12 months @ 30pm) so I actually cancelled this time as no offers or incentives to stay were forthcoming.
    Then this week received this in the post:

Does anyone think that this is most likely to be the best offer or still hold off for a while yet?

I really only want the Sports in HD so if my maths are correct: Entertainment @ 13pm, HD @ 1pm and Sports @ 14.50pm = 28.50pm
    but this offer ends (for me anyway) on 31 May.

I'm not bothered about boxsets or the movies
    Originally posted by danmanchester
    That's not Sports HD, it's HD for the Entertainment channels only. Don't know how much Sports HD would add but that's a decent deal.
    • danmanchester
    • By danmanchester 26th May 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    danmanchester
    Cheers, I didn't know that they charged Sports HD separately although with Sky nothing surprises me.. so I guess that's going to add 5 or so.. I will call them in the next couple of days and see what they say.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,231Users online

Martin's Twitter