Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 82
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Hi
    As a loyal customer to Sky TV over 10 years we finally took the plunge when Our sky box started playing up to cancel in the hope of getting a better deal. Mainly on the basis that we pay 98 a month!!!!! That's not for all packages and we feel quite frankly taken the 'mickey' out of.
    Anyhow, we called and was on the phone 45 mins and stuck to our guns to cancel due to poor service and the fact we know we're paying over the odds.
    This was 2 weeks ago and still no call back, reduced offer or follow up. Just a couple of 'it's not too late text messages'
    Has anyone else been in this position? Have any tips on achieving a better sky deal? Or do we simply re-sign up as a new customer? Help
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Jayley
    Why should they offer you a retention deal?

Looks like you're trying to beat them at their own game and you'll just end up stuck with nothing
    • Jayley
    • By Jayley 9th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jayley
    Why? Because I'm paying significantly more that other customers who have exactly the same package. In terms of customer value I'm a significant customer, loyal and high spending consumer. Why shouldn't they at least offer me a competitive deal? I'm not playing a game. I've paid a lot of money for nearly 10 years I simply want value for money.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    We left sky nearly 18 months ago & still get the 'please come back' letters.

Personally I'd let the sky subscription lapse & see if you actually miss any channels before seeing about renewing it, even with a reduction in the month fee
    Last edited by gettingtheresometime; 09-04-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 9th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,262 Thanks
    mije1983
    Why shouldn't they at least offer me a competitive deal?
    You answered your own question in the same post....

loyal and high spending consumer.

Why would they want to reduce their income from you, when you have been happily paying so much for the last 10 years?

As I said, in your position you will probably have to be prepared to have the TV switched off before you get a decent deal.

• shaggy
    • By shaggy 10th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    shaggy
    You answered your own question in the same post....

Why would they want to reduce their income from you, when you have been happily paying so much for the last 10 years?

As I said, in your position you will probably have to be prepared to have the TV switched off before you get a decent deal.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    indeed.

plenty of people out there who continue paying full price, or a feeble 'loyalty' discount for many years - sky know who these people are and arent going to offer huge discounts to them knowing full well they'll not leave.

Just let the sub lapse, live without Sky for a few days/weeks, and you'll be surprised at how little you miss it. Mine is about to lapse this week and its no big deal. I dont think I've watched anything on Sky+ for months - most of my viewing tends to be on BBC or netflix.
    • discoinferno_99
    • By discoinferno_99 10th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    discoinferno_99
    Our contract lapsed last year, but I held off doing anything for 6 months as we were potentially moving house. Now that we know we are staying put, it was a case of getting on to reducing the Sky bill. Was previously on a 50% off deal for 12 months, but currently getting stung for 83.50 per month for TV via Sky+

The aim was to upgrade to Sky Q, with 2TB box and an additional mini-box, whilst keeping the full package across entertainment, kids, movies and sport.

Went through regular customer service in Livingstone and managed to get the following for the full 18 months:

Full TV pack, 2TB box, mini box (inc multiroom subscription) for 64 per month + 30 one off fee.

I have also moved over from BT Infinity 2 at the same time and replaced Sky Fibre Max Unlimited on a like for like basis at 30 per month for 18 months, (and no other fees for set-up etc) which saves another 20+ on the BT bill. BT had already told me to take my business elsewhere when I tried to haggle, so I was happy to oblige.

I played the cancellation game last time round, but this time I was happy to go with an offer if it was reasonable enough. I could have potentially saved a little bit more if I had played that game again, but happy enough with this outcome. After reading recent posts in this thread, I wasn't expecting huge savings to be offered at the moment, so my expectations weren't at the 50% discount level anyway.

Looking forward to getting Sky Q in a few weeks!
    • guy.pennington
    • By guy.pennington 10th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    guy.pennington
    Just renewed, having given notice to cancel a couple of days ago.

The offer I have is;

Entertainment: 25 reduced to 15
    HD: 5 reduced to 1
    Sky Sports: 28 reduced to 14.50
    Sky Sports HD: 6 reduced to 2
    Sky Go Extra: 5 reduced to 0 (VIP)
    12 Months Contract.

Total: 69 reduced to 32.50.

Hope this helps with haggling.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 9,116 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    teddysmum

I dont think I've watched anything on Sky+ for months - most of my viewing tends to be on BBC or netflix.
    Originally posted by shaggy

I've also discovered that on BBC iPlayer there are programmes from different regions that would not be on live tv. Currently there is a good series, with twists and turns, called Keeping Faith, from BBC Wales.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    • 9,116 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    teddysmum

The offer I have is;

12 Months Contract.

Originally posted by guy.pennington

Entertainment is only 25 for anyone on a rolling contract. Anyone agreeing to a minimum term pays no more than 20.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 11th Apr 18, 5:42 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    Terry98

The offer I have is;

12 Months Contract.

Originally posted by guy.pennington
    What is the minimum package you can have? I want Sky Sports only so could I just have a contract for 14.50 with a little haggling?
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 11th Apr 18, 8:00 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    What is the minimum package you can have? I want Sky Sports only so could I just have a contract for 14.50 with a little haggling?
    Originally posted by Terry98
    I don't think you will be able to get Sky sports only. You will need one of the TV packs as well. I have got the entertainment pack with sky sports. I am on a 50% off deal for TV and I pay approx 25 per month. I think that this is the cheapest price that you will get for sky sports; although there are some people that have got 75% off deals.
    • blackfritz
    • By blackfritz 12th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackfritz
    Unfortunately that level of discount seems to no longer be available. Best I have seen equates to around 50% but they are a rarity, normally you are lucky to get much more than about 40% off. They are now offering different levels of pricing for the various elements within the packages as opposed to a flat level of discount off the total price. Good luck, I th8nk you will need it!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 20,944 Posts
    • 11,724 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I want Sky Sports only
    Originally posted by Terry98
    None of the premium channels are available standalone.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 13th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    shaggy
    I don't think you will be able to get Sky sports only. You will need one of the TV packs as well. I have got the entertainment pack with sky sports. I am on a 50% off deal for TV and I pay approx 25 per month. I think that this is the cheapest price that you will get for sky sports; although there are some people that have got 75% off deals.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    My 75% is about to finish this week and sky about to switch off too. They arent giving that big discounts any more. You'll be lucky to get 50% now. I hope more and more people cancel and make the subscriber numbers fall so they can entice us back in the future
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 16th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    shaggy
    Switched off saturday. I used the 'left in the last 12 months ' chat link, and got offered

Sports, Entertainment, Kids, all in HD for 31.50 a month for 12 months. Not too bad considering what others have been getting but I'll leave it switched off for now seeing I have Netflix to keep me occupied.

Not that desperate at this moment so might get Disney Life at 4.99 a month, and that will keep the kids happy , much better than what they watch on Sky Cinema anyway.
    • jerrysimon
    • By jerrysimon 27th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    jerrysimon
    I currently have Sky TV including Boxsets, HD and Entertainment also have fibre all for 34/month. I basically cancelled last year and they offered me the deal two weeks later.

Problem with cheap deals, is the next year its a shock 78/month!!

I don't think I will get anywhere near that deal again.

Through haggling I have got it down to 55/month getting BB down to 25/month and TV down to 30/month. I am a VIP member.

I do like Sky service as I dont think my BB has been out once in the last 12 months. Telephone service is also very good when you contact them. They want me to move to their mobile service as well. Currently I use EE.
    Last edited by jerrysimon; 27-04-2018 at 2:48 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I currently have Sky TV including Boxsets, HD and Entertainment also have fibre all for 34/month. I basically cancelled last year and they offered me the deal two weeks later.

Problem with cheap deals, is the next year its a shock 78/month!!

I don't think I will get anywhere near that deal again.

Through haggling I have got it down to 55/month getting BB down to 25/month and TV down to 30/month. I am a VIP member.

I do like Sky service as I dont think my BB has been out once in the last 12 months. Telephone service is also very good when you contact them. They want me to move to their mobile service as well. Currently I use EE.
    Originally posted by jerrysimon
    The lowest I could get them to for UL fiber was 23 and that was only after I'd put in for a switch to NowTV. Happily my 50% off Boxsets is good until May next year because presumably due to the takeover talks they're really mean on offers at the moment.

I do like Sky service as I dont think my BB has been out once in the last 12 months
    I'd expect that from any supplier myself.

Sky use O2 as the carrier so you'd have to check your coverage in your usual haunts first although it's not a bad deal with them if it suits yourself.
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 27th Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    So we now pay 51.50 per month for

Sky Q
    Sky Q multi room
    Entertainment, kids, hdboxsets
    Fibre
    Line rental
    Talk anytime extra
    Self confessed Florida expert with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio

• jerrysimon
    • By jerrysimon 27th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    jerrysimon
    Thanks. They also gave me a free callout last year as my box was faulty and replaced it for a new unit!

I will see if I can get them down a few quid but probably the best I will get.

Not really looked at Sky Q ?

With NowTv I assume you can't record ?

Maybe I could do without boxsets.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thanks. They also gave me a free callout last year as my box was faulty and replaced it for a new unit!

I will see if I can get them down a few quid but probably the best I will get.

Not really looked at Sky Q ?

With NowTv I assume you can't record ?

Maybe I could do without boxsets.
    Originally posted by jerrysimon
    I've been with them for over 10 years now and have never had an issue so I'm not a Sky naysayer by any stretch but they just seem unwilling to bend at the moment.

Sky Q will cost you more without doubt. To get a half decent deal on the TV you'd have to schedule a cancellation and see who blinks first. If you're happy paying 25 for UL fiber then you may as well stick as there's not much better out there right now. I jumped on the NowTV 20 UL fiber offer which finished last week(?)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,820Posts Today

8,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin