Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:54 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:54 PM
    Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:54 PM

Hi all, we have a new Broadband Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
Page 2
    • evenasus
    • By evenasus 17th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 8,999 Posts
    • 21,094 Thanks
    evenasus
    Haggling didn't work.

I tried to haggle with two different people at BT. The first person offered £2 reduction. That wouldn't even have cancelled out their latest increase.
    The second one offered £4.

After arranging and paying the line rental saver upfront with Plusnet, I received a call from BT asking us why we were leaving and then offering us broadband reduced from the £31 a month we were paying, to £6 a month.

It was too late, as I wasn't going to go through the hassle of cancelling Plusnet and claiming the money back.

Ignoring line rental we were paying BT £40.79 a month for broadband and anytime calls to UK landlines.

New deal with Plusnet, ignoring line rental we will be paying £13.99 a month for broadband and anytime calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles.
    The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
    Save for what you want to buy
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    After arranging and paying the line rental saver upfront with Plusnet, I received a call from BT asking us why we were leaving and then offering us broadband reduced from the £31 a month we were paying, to £6 a month.
    Originally posted by evenasus
    I absolutely hate that tactic, we're moving soon and my Sky ADSL is just out of minimum term so I've got to phone them and see what they'll offer for an upgrade to fibre (we're father away from the same exchange). I'm going to tell them that they have just one shot at retaining me as I won't cancel any new supplier (if needed) once I've put it in motion regardless of offer. There's enough for me to do without having to pig about with retention calls.
    • ChiefWhiteHalfoat
    • By ChiefWhiteHalfoat 20th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChiefWhiteHalfoat
    Saved £60 a year with BT
    First post. First time Money Saving...

My BB+TV contract was due to expire next month and was going to shoot up to the non promotional price of £49.99. Was paying 31.99 for BB and 7 for the TV but was looking to cancel all my TV subscription as I barely watch it. Rang up with the intention of leaving if I didn't get a better deal than the upgrade offered to me online of 31.99 with 9.99 upfront.

The first 2 deals offered to me were rubbish so I explained to the advisor that I had already priced up Plusnet at £24.99p/m for the same package and offered an ultimatum that he had to make me a serious offer to stay. I don't always look for the cheapest price: customer service and reputation are important to me. I would never switch to a cheaper provider that I was unfamiliar with. I have been happy with the service I've had with BT for the past year which is worth a lot to me.

He offered me the same BB package I have now for £26.99 with no upfront fee which I happily accepted. Saving £60 over the year and only £9 more expensive than plus net. Very Happy Money Saver this afternoon
    • frankie
    • By frankie 20th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    frankie
    Do BT use Indian script reading support centres?
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 20th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Xenon
    I am with Sky unlimited 17mb broadband ending in March

Been looking to upgrade to fibre unlimited so Sky offered 38mb unlimited 18 months (12 months at £20 then 6 months at £30) - so £420 all in.

I think that is their standard offer to anyone upgrading to fibre - but will phone them and see if i can get better.

Not sure/undecided to stay or go with Plusnet/Vodaphone.
    Last edited by Xenon; 20-02-2018 at 6:13 PM.
    • intalex
    • By intalex 28th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    intalex
    My Sky unlimited 17mb broadband deal (£9.49pm all inc) was due to end in a month and I went on their online chat service at 7am this morning to drop in an "innocent" intention to cancel at the end of the contract and ask if I need to give any notice or simply sign up with another supplier (gently stating Plusnet's £10.24pm deal to the agent) and they'd handle the cancellation and transfer.

They countered with a 12-month renewal for £11pm all inc (instead of £30pm standard price), which I took. Involved a £2.50 one-off fee for the first month, but £11pm thereafter (already reflected under "future bills").
    • editor1
    • By editor1 1st Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    My Sky unlimited 17mb broadband deal (£9.49pm all inc) was due to end in a month and I went on their online chat service at 7am this morning to drop in an "innocent" intention to cancel at the end of the contract and ask if I need to give any notice or simply sign up with another supplier (gently stating Plusnet's £10.24pm deal to the agent) and they'd handle the cancellation and transfer.

They countered with a 12-month renewal for £11pm all inc (instead of £30pm standard price), which I took. Involved a £2.50 one-off fee for the first month, but £11pm thereafter (already reflected under "future bills").
    Originally posted by intalex
    You had a far better deal than myself, basically because the lowest deal for 17Mb BB & Anytime calls in early January was 21.99, which Sky matched. If you add the 8 quid for Anytime calls, you're on 19 quid a month, which is quite good. Will see what Retentions do at Sky once formally notified of April's price increase - my objective, BB and Anytime calls for 20 quid.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 6th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    You had a far better deal than myself, basically because the lowest deal for 17Mb BB & Anytime calls in early January was 21.99, which Sky matched. If you add the 8 quid for Anytime calls, you're on 19 quid a month, which is quite good. Will see what Retentions do at Sky once formally notified of April's price increase - my objective, BB and Anytime calls for 20 quid.
    Originally posted by editor1
    Well, managed to get through to Chat, complained at cost increase, stated could get BB, phone and Anytime chat cheaper with Now TV and was offered £16.99 inclusive - BRILLIANT I thought, only to just find out some savvy users over at HotDealsUK have been able to get Anytime for 2 quid a month, their present deal being £12 pm inclusive.

Happy with what I got and seem really complex to try and push the Anytime deal they were offering, 2 quid a month for 36 months.

My mother most pleased with £16.99.
    • limaunder
    • By limaunder 12th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    limaunder
    I just used your tips at 'Haggle with BT' and got £24/month off my bill. Thank you!!!
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    Arklight
    Got a standard offer of £10 pcm for Sky unlimited fibre up to 38 meg with a 12 month contract, plus whatever Sky will decide my phone line will cost (roughly £20) plus £10 admin fee.

I explained that BT will roughly match this for faster Infinity, with £170 cashback from Thinkbroadband over 18 months but as expected they weren't very interested so I am going to BT.

As Sky are a BT reseller hopefully nothing will go wrong as I will say that Sky's broadband and technical support with a couple of line of line faults have been excellent.
    • Gary1963
    • By Gary1963 13th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Gary1963
    Just renegotiated Virgin 100 for £21.25 per month on new 12 month contract.
    • Moon Keh
    • By Moon Keh 18th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Moon Keh
    That was easy!
    Just called Plusnet after having looked through available offers for my area. I mentioned to their agent that I was thinking of leaving for a cheaper offer, they asked for some examples of what I'd seen. Then put on hold for a few minutes and when they returned, £16 was knocked off the monthly charge I pay, in return for me agreeing to an 18-month contract. So saved just under £200 for 10 minutes' work.

I should never have left my phone/broadband package out of contract so long. I check my utility provider regularly, why didn't I check this as well? I don't think I'll forget again!
    Signature on hold as I've seen no unused witty comments to plaigarise.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Finally completed our house move this week and although the broadband has surprisingly only dropped to 15Mbps on ADSL, I've decided to move on up to fibre.
    Sky refused to move from £30 for UL fibre following a text chat & then a phone call (the text chat guys have absolutely no bargaining offers). The phone call (to retentions) were actually no better so I've signed up to Now TV 's £20 offer. I did offer to re-contract to Entertainment+HD+Boxsets from my 50% rolling monthly contract if it helped but they absolutely weren't interested and were quoting the full £30 for the TV part.
    • Stealth07
    • By Stealth07 27th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stealth07

Originally posted by intalex
    I also had this deal just expire, although i did get a letter saying my bill was staying the same & then when i checked online -it actually wasnt as line rental deal was expiring.

Then had some difficulty contacting sky through the chat app requesting to leave, so ended up calling and getting ranty about wanting to leave so no retentions convo had.

First call from retentions earlier this week -I couldn't get your deal despite insisiting i wasted to stay on the 17mb speed -quoted plusnet too, best they could do was £18.99pm even when i quoted your deal (as a friends obvs), so i continued with the leave.

Got another call today offering £20 for 12mths Unltd fibre + £25 for the last 6/18mths contract duration =total yearly cost £390

Which undercut the current alt equivalent offer by Vodaphone's yearly cost by £24.. so i took it given our house does get a bit laggy with speeds when 5+ devices are connected!

Keep Haggling!
    • patmx
    • By patmx 15th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patmx
    I have just gone out of contract with BT, I was paying a ridiculous amount. I researched prices for Plusnet and new BT customers and was eventually offered the same package as new BT customers, after politely refusing a 'split the difference' offer. Also had a chat about switching my mobile contract to BT, which may have helped. Saved £19 a month.
    Previously when haggling with BT I had to actually sign a contract with a rival, BT wouldn't offer me a decent deal until the switch request reached them from their rival (Plusnet, which they own...doh). Big improvement now!
    • Gordyjnr
    • By Gordyjnr 6th Sep 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gordyjnr
    Virgin broadband only "success"
    Our deal with Virgin (£33/month for TV, Landline and 100MB BB) came to an end a few months ago so have been paying £54/month since and I kept forgetting to sort it (Shocking, I know!). Anyway finally got around to it today, basically we hardly watch TV and want to ditch it (this was confirmed by them - they keep a log of how much you watch, not what you watch, but the total hours spent viewing, so don't try and say "I hardly watch TV" if you actually do, it won't work as a negotiating tactic!). I said that I was looking at the Sky deal of unlimited fibre (36MB) for £25/month, could they get near it? I was offered £27/month for 12 months plus a £30 credit to my account (making it effectively £24.50/month for 12 months (it is a 12 month contract, I was assured of this as well).

All in all I'm happy, I like Virgin as their broadband is definitely the best, I went to Sky for 18 months once when I got an unbelievable deal (everything including movies and sports for £32/month! It was through work when we were their sponsors for Tour de France) however their fibre was noticeably bad, so though I would have left this time, it would have been begrudgingly.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 9,116 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I renewed last October, with PlusNet, as I was given my previous offer (Line rental saver being £12 more due to an increase), of pay up front and get ADSL free, so paying £8/month for calls. After the ADSL £1 increase this became £9/month as the free was interpreted as £9.99 off. (I got caller display free until it became free for all, as I couldm't get the £50 new customer offer)

As line alone is still £18.99, the general offer of £19.99, would appear to include a charge of £1 for ADSL, so I'd be paying exactly the same as now, still paying up front. However,I have had poor ADSL for over two months ;something they can actually see as a problem ,but can't trace; tech visit now necessary.

Has anyone renewing with ADSL, recently improved on the £19.99 down to £17.49 equivalent if paying up front ? (Even without a service complaint)
    • Edda
    • By Edda 14th Sep 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Edda
    Don't know if I'm putting this in the right place. I was with BT always for phone & fibre broadband but was paying over £60 month. When I tried to haggle the best they could do was £45. Months later I decided to take the plunge & signed up with Sky for £25 - then BT rang & said they would give it for £21.99! So I decided to stay with BT, they put me through to Sky to cancel. I am now without any service as Sky did not 'follow through' with cancellation, BT won't be able to get me back on till mid next week, and will 'try' to get my original phone number back. I thought everything was fine until I got an email from BT on the 'activation date'. Now I have 3 teenagers looking at me with sad eyes. Sky have admitted fault & BT said it's very unusual, but this was the reason I was worried about switching in the first place. Just to say it's not always as straightforward as they say
    • Supatramp
    • By Supatramp 15th Sep 18, 10:17 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Supatramp
    As a result of the recent BT price increase, I phoned up and told that my present deal was the best they could offer. Was put through to retentions, and they also said that my present deal couldn't be bettered.

Left it for a week or two, phoned back again and said I'd seen people claiming that they got offered £19.99 and £21.99 for broadband. Told this was impossible and again got put through to retentions. Guy there told me that I was already getting the best deal, but..............goodness me, suddenly the £21.99 deal had popped up on his screen!!

The confirmatory e-mail never appeared, but a hard copy did through the post, confirming a saving of £6 per month. Happy chappy!
    David.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Sep 18, 5:50 PM
    • 9,116 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    teddysmum
    As others seem to have dropped cash/voucher incentives (well they had last week), there is even less haggling room as PlusNet now charge more if you want a 12 month contract, bit are cheaper than others on 18 months. However, the 18 months with them is a disadvantage as line saver runs out after 12 months,so you pay full or eroll for 12 months more line..the latter losing any haggling power as you have 6 months of line paid in, when the internet deal ends.

In contrast,Sky has a fixed line rate , so you get a fixed line and internet cost for 18 months, but a £30 odd fee for leaving PlusNet to consider.

Things are supposed to be simpler with the enforced all in price.

My sister has been very lucky, as she ordered with PlusNet, but was encouraged to stay with Sky by an ever increasing discount ,resulting in £17.99 for ADSL,line and anytime calls.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,851Posts Today

9,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin