Vodafone account remaining open on credit report

Hi,

I hope I'm posting on the correct forum.

My husband finished paying up a Vodafone contract a few months ago but the account remains as 'open' on his credit report. He has rang Vodafone on numerous occasions and they have assured him the account is closed, so why does it remain open on numerous credit reports?

He no longer is able to log into his old account as his account no longer exists, and when we spoke to them last time they said they were unable to find him on their system as the account is closed! Is there anyway he can prove this for his credit file? the account has 2 late payments showing from a while back so he doesn't wish for it to remain 'open'

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    leesa00 wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope I'm posting on the correct forum.

My husband finished paying up a Vodafone contract a few months ago but the account remains as 'open' on his credit report. He has rang Vodafone on numerous occasions and they have assured him the account is closed, so why does it remain open on numerous credit reports?

He no longer is able to log into his old account as his account no longer exists, and when we spoke to them last time they said they were unable to find him on their system as the account is closed! Is there anyway he can prove this for his credit file? the account has 2 late payments showing from a while back so he doesn't wish for it to remain 'open'

Thanks everyone!
    It would seem the account wasn't closed at the time if requested and continued to run.
    Did your husband actually cancel the contract or just assume it ended at the minimum term, or perhaps request a PAC and not use it ?
    In which case it would have been closed due to lack of payment and attracted the late payment markers.

You can contact the rep on here using the method such as in this post .... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=68965919&postcount=3486

Then come back on this thread and post the ref. number from the automated reply
    It's not just about the money
  • leesa00
    leesa00 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi thanks for the reply,

He actually had two late payments back in November 2012, but then made the last payment towards this contract in early 2013, afterwards we spoke to them on numerous occasions and they said they could not find him on their systems as the account was now closed. It's as tho they just haven't told the credit agencies that the account has been closed and they say they have no accounts when he rings! This account should of been closed early 2013 but has remained open all this time, just seems he is going round in circles trying to sort it out, we will contact the rep like u have said and try to see if we can get it sorted that way!

Thanks for the reply
  • Silk
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi thanks for the reply,

He actually had two late payments back in November 2012, but then made the last payment towards this contract in early 2013, afterwards we spoke to them on numerous occasions and they said they could not find him on their systems as the account was now closed. It's as tho they just haven't told the credit agencies that the account has been closed and they say they have no accounts when he rings! This account should of been closed early 2013 but has remained open all this time, just seems he is going round in circles trying to sort it out, we will contact the rep like u have said and try to see if we can get it sorted that way!

Thanks for the reply
    The late payments will show up for 6 years though on the credit report. As far as I'm aware closing an account doesn't remove them.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    That is correct.
  • leesa00
    We're just worried that it's going to remain open forever when he doesn't actually have an account with them anymore.

So the late payments will remain for 6 years if it stays open? And if we manage to close it they will stay on for 6 years from the closed account date? Is that correct?

We've just been on the phone to Vodafone again but they have no clue what he's talking about and yet again can't find him on their system.
  • leesa00
    I have just used the link above and the reference number is 11152913.

Do I just put that here?!
  • Silk
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 August 2015 at 8:21PM
    We're just worried that it's going to remain open forever when he doesn't actually have an account with them anymore.

So the late payments will remain for 6 years if it stays open? And if we manage to close it they will stay on for 6 years from the closed account date? Is that correct?

We've just been on the phone to Vodafone again but they have no clue what he's talking about and yet again can't find him on their system.
    Yes ....the credit history is just that, it will show late payments for 6 years so that creditors can see if you have made payments on time or defaulted etc

Edit to say it will be from the date of those payments as far as late payments go not when it was paid up
  • Silk
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have just used the link above and the reference number is 11152913.

Do I just put that here?!
    Yes the rep can trace it from that
  • leesa00
    Brill, thanks for all your help.
  • Hello Vodafone Rep,

I found this thread via google. I ended my vodafone contract back in May/June. Vodafone hasn't updated all of the Credit Reference Agencies. Experian, Equifax and Call Credit, it is still open on all of them.
    Can this be looked into please? I have followed the advice above and got a ticket number which is #14487043
    I didn't open a new thread as this already fits the criteria, hope that is OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure