Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 30th Jul 15, 1:30 PM
    • 635Posts
    • 2,560Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Battling Debt and Mental Illness and (hopefully) Winning!
    • 30th Jul 15, 1:30 PM
    Battling Debt and Mental Illness and (hopefully) Winning! 30th Jul 15 at 1:30 PM
    Hi everyone

I've been lurking on the Debt-Free Wannabe forums for ages and thought it was high time I joined in. I'm also hoping that having my own diary will motivate me to keep going I've been reading some of the other diaries on here and feel inspired.

About me: I'm 31, single, unemployed and living with my parents. Ain't life great? After many years of mental illness, I can finally see a chink of light at the end of the tunnel. I have depression and borderline personality disorder as well, but my anxiety is my biggest obstacle at the moment.

I got into debt partly to fulfil a lifelong dream and get a BA and an MA. I lived at home while I was studying, but travel expenses and book buying take their toll. As did my chocolate bar habit and learning to drive... I was also prone to compulsive spending (still am, but less so since I have more of a handle on my mental health issues) and made many ridiculous decisions.

The upshot is that I ended up owing several thousand pounds to my parents, over 6,000 on my credit card and a 2000 overdraft. I gradually reduced my debt a little, then was helped by a 2000 inheritance when my grandmother died. However, I was also struggling to keep a car on the road and my beloved dog died a couple of weeks before my grandmother, which was a horrible shock and led to me buying a new dog to give me a reason to live. I know that sounds melodramatic, but it's true. My old dog kept me hanging on during the dark times and I couldn't face life not only without her, but without any pet of my own.

Anyhoo, I was struggling to pay 60 a month interest on my credit card and make overpayments every month. I slipped into putting more unnecessary purchases on the credit card because I thought "what difference will it make?" I had a LBM at the end of June 2015 and realised I needed to do something drastic.

Since I couldn't get a loan to pay off my credit card, let alone what I owed my parents, I hatched a plan for my parents to take out an unsecured loan for 13,000, covering the 7000 I owed them and my credit card balance. I did the maths and realised it would take me 5 years just to pay off my credit card, without paying a penny back to my parents, if I continued as I was. If my parents took out a loan on my behalf, I could clear the whole debt in 6 years. My parents agreed that taking out a loan was the sensible option especially as it would relieve them of being 7000 out of pocket. My credit card balance is Nil and, strangely, I'm not even tempted to spend on it.
Page 34
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 12th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Thanks, tara Yeah, I've noticed the lack of funding! The organisation I volunteer for is called The Project and there's huge demand for more groups, but fewer and fewer grants available. In addition, I've noticed that while a lot of people voice support for people with mental health problems, relatively few of them put their money where their mouth is...

Forgot to mention that I paid off my Very account yesterday, so the debt has officially transferred to being part of the loan from my parents. Also decreased my credit limit, which they had increased to 4850, so now it's 850. Part of me thinks I should just close the account, but it's handy to use the credit with. "pay in 6/12 months" offers, when I'm thinking straight and planning out my finances; trouble is, when my mental health plummets, I make bad choices. This way, I can minimise potential damage while keeping access to some credit.
    Rainy day fund 604/1000 Emergency fund 1019/1500
    Loan 470/19,300 = 2.4% Fun fund: 130 Credit card balance 200
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 18th Oct 17, 6:10 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Paid last 30 off cc

Transferred 10 to ff, which will be used for Xmas presents.

Paid my mum 50

Also ordered 30 Paypal from GTM this week, so that will also go into ff for Xmas savings

Been a quiet week. I feel under the weather !!!8212; think I have a cold
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 22nd Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    My mum totted up what I owe her and it comes to 19,300 !!!8212; several hundred less than I'd assumed/dreaded. I'm determined to stay on top of it from now on, paying for everything I buy straightaway and chipping steadily at the debt, instead of adding and subtracting depending on my cashflow situation.

I have a cold and feel a bit blah, especially after a busy few days, but not too bad in mental health terms. Trying to be more positive about my life and prospects, though it's difficult.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 25th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Paid 40 off loan, which is 0.2% Seems like a pathetically small amount, but it's the first time in ages that I know a payment I'm making is reducing my overall debt, so that's good.

Still feel blah. My hip hurts and my mood has dipped. Using my SAD lamp and staying active, but don't know if it's enough. Got a flu vaccination on Monday, so hope this winter won't be a repeat of last winter.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 20th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Hi everyone and merry Christmas!

I have been struggling a lot with depression and anxiety, but I'm still here. Everything is difficult, but I'm still working on my OU course (got 95% for my first assignment!) and writing/blogging when I can. Have had to scale back my volunteering, because I don't have time when anxiety/depression symptoms waste so many hours. I have to prioritise my official work, even if I earn nothing from it and feel that my volunteering matters more.

Still going to gym classes, though I missed 2 last week thanks to a virus. Pathetic as it is, going with my mum has helped me to keep going through the difficult months. I have finished counselling, since my counsellor left the local charity which was providing me with counselling. It happened a little before I was ready, but counsellor felt I was doing well managing my mental health on my own. I'm also unlikely to get further counselling from the charity, because they are reorganising and getting strict about sticking to their original remit, which is dealing with loss, so bereavement, redundancy, recent illness/injury,etc. rather than long term mental health problems. It means that if I get worse again, my only options are the NHS, which I have tried previously and found to have limited effect since it's usually rationed to 6 sessions, or to pay for private sessions, which would be incredibly difficult in my current situation.

I feel desperate to change things in the New Year. I need to somehow find paid work, though I have been looking recently and found nothing suitable. Most admin based jobs require either a receptionist or telesales element, both of which are impossible for me atm. I don't know what to do, but I hate having to rely on benefits and even 10 hours a week at minimum wage would give me a little security so that I know I could cope if I no longer received workig tax credits (or universal credit, when it gets changed). That gives me until April to find a solution.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get through the festive season without trying to kill myself. I know that sounds melodramatic, but it's reality for those of us with depression. I'm not in that place right now, so that's good, but I can feel my mood slipping most days. Trying to focus on the good things, like the fact that I'm still keeping active.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 11,183 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi ABA, I'm glad to 'see' you back, but I am sorry it is in such difficult circumstances.

I faced the same trouble you did with counselling options. I eventually found cheap counselling options through my GP, I pay 15 a session, which admittedly was reduced from 25 because I am now out of work. There might be cheaper options through your GP or local council for private counselling, sadly that's the way long sufferers like you and me have to go.

Keep on going, take each day at a time, you are incredible.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = 2195.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (3168.45/3000)
    February 2018 Credit Card Debt: 3885
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 4th Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Thanks, Florence I feel a bit better, after a horrendous Xmas, but will look into other counselling options if needed.

Realised I met my savings goals last year, though obviously added to my debt as well. The goal for this year is to reduce my debt and add 500 easch to EF and RDF.

Also really want to do an Arvon writing course !!!8212; there's one from which I would really benefit !!!8212; so will gove myself permission if I save the 200 deposit. This means I will be able to do it without getting into more debt, because I would use my RDF if I couldn't earn/save the remaining cost.

Aim to save 10 a week by giving up fizzy drinks... Not easy, since I had been drinking 3-5 cans of Pepsi Max a day and often orangeade in the evening. I used to drink more than a 2 litre bottle of coke a day at my worst point, so hoping I can push a bit further and give up pretty much completely (I won't rule out the occasional drink, especially since I don't always have alcohol if I go out with friends). The first few days have been hard, but keep telling myself it will get easier after the first week/month.

I have various other New Year Goals, which I won't bore you with! My main intention is to end this year feeling better and more accomplished than I do now.

Happy new year everyone!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 4th Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    reality_check
    Happy New Year! Sorry your Christmas wasn't so good. I need to make some goals (and acheive them for once!) too, planning on reducing debt slowly, and concentrating on EF fund and savings. Normally I throw everything at debt, then when something comes up, which lets face it is always does, then need to add to my debt!

10 is a good saving per week! Maybe try halfing it at first rather than going cold turkey?! Sparkling water with some squash is nice if you don't like it on it's own xx
    Starting debt 18,675.63
    Current debt: 5,000 (16/05/18)
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 28th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Hi guys (and a belated thanks to rc)

Haven't been on here for ages -- partly because I haven't been feeling very "mse" and partly because I forgot my password and had problems resetting it!

Not sure where to start to update you (assuming anyone can be bothered to read this after my prolonged absence)... Firstly, my mental health is okay. Not great, but certainly not as bad as I was over Xmas. I haven't self-harmed or tried to kill myself in just over 4 months, so that's good. I feel a bit stuck in Limboland, because I want to start earning more than drips and dregs, but I'm still struggling with depression and anxiety so it's hard to do anything which might lead to paid work. It's very frustrating.

I tend to get more anxious and depressed if I focus on my financial situation, so debt repayment is taking a back seat right now, hence my not feeling very "mse". I'm being more mindful about my spending than I was in the past and haven't had any major shopping binges, even when I have felt horrible, so that's progress. I just feel I need to focus on my mental health and building my confidence, so my main financial aim is to avoid accumulating more debt.

The next aim will be to add 400 to my rainy day fund and 500 to my ef, so they will total 1000 and 1500 respectively. This is more for peace of mind than anything; having my current savings has helped my mental health, because I know I can cover my basic expenses for a few months if anything happens and I stop getting tax credits. I owe all my debt (apart from 50 on the cc, which will be repaid next week) to my parents, so I'm not accumulating interest.

My parents have been very understanding, too. I think they realise that when I worry about owing them money, my mental health plummets and makes me less likely to be able to find paid work, so it's in their interests to support me. The underlying guilt is still there, but I have repaid more since I adopted this approach, so think both my parents and I will benefit. Also, they obviously want me to feel better even if it takes ages to repay them.

Sooooo... onto the good stuff!

I did manage to save the deposit for the Arvon course and can cover the balance with my rdf if needed. However, I have a very low interest deal on the cc until November, so that should help me to pay for the course without raiding my savings (I'm also saving for it in the meantime, so hope to have a good chunk in my fun fund by the time I need to pay the balance). It feels great to have something to look forward to and I believe it will be beneficial for my writing career.

One of my major goals for this year (which I was a bit shy about sharing at the start of the year!) is to lose a lot of weight !!!8212; 114lbs, to be precise. I started the year at 244lb and am currently 204lbs, so people are beginning to notice! It's been a bit slower going than I had hoped, mainly due to comfort eating in Jan/Feb, but I'm thrilled to have made significant changes. Of course, it also means I need to replace my clothes, as size 18s are beginning to fall off me. Thankfully, Tesco is cheap I think my figure must have changed more than I realised with all the exercise over the past year/18 months, because previously I was bigger measurement-wise at this weight. Guess I built up a fair amount of muscle. Would LOVE to be a size 14 by my Arvon course in mid August, so that's my short term focus.

The other big change is that I no longer drink fizzy drinks on a regular basis. I had a fizzy flavoured water at Easter and felt incredibly bloated afterwards, so I don't miss the Pepsi Max. I will use the money saved to buy the aforementioned new clothes

Anyhoo, I'm sorry I've been away so long. Many of you have supported me a lot over the past couple pf years, so I want you to know that I appreciate it and didn't intend to disappear without explanation. Hope things are going well for all of you and I will aim to update this thread more often and catch up with your threads soon.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 29th Apr 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 19,321 Thanks
    misstara
    Hello ABA Nice to see you back.

Glad your parents are being supportive and I hope your mental health continues to further improve. Well done on giving up fizzy drinks and the weight loss.

When does the Arvon course start?
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 804.26 (65.1% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 542.46 (32% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - 36/1000. Car fund - 0/1000.
    Mini Targets in May
    Exercise target - 11/16. Groceries target 188.17/200. NSD target 12/19.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 29th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Thanks, Tara Think it will be good to be back, because putting my thoughts into words helps me to get a clearer picture of what's happening in my life. The course starts on 13th August. I'm a little scared, but really looking forward to it!

Think I need to step up my decluttering efforts, partly to help myself feel more in control. I have a few huge piles of books to read and pass on, plus my clothes need sorting out properly. I need to be more ruthless about not hanging onto things which I don't use and enjoy.

I had been trying out the whole 12 week year philosophy, but have decided to exchange it for focusing on one month at a time. I still have goals for the whole year and each quarter, but it's hard for me to keep in a focused and positive frame of mind for the whole 12 weeks. I think it also led to me focusing on strategies which didn't make me feel better about myself, which made it more difficult to take action and get results.

My goals for May include entering 2 novel competitions, which means I need to get the start of my novel up to the best standard I can and write a synopsis-- which sounds simple, but is very hard. I also want to enter at least 2 short story. comps and shift another 10lbs.

I'm trying to concentrate on what I can do right now, instead of stressing, but it's easier said than done!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 15,073 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I notice when I am creative my mood is much more even. Arvon is a good idea. Good surroundings, healthy food and being able to write, all good stuff. Good luck with the writing plans.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 2nd May 18, 9:35 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Thanks, DIA As much as I consider the Arvon course an investment in my writing, I think it's also important for my mental health !!!8212; getting away from my family for a few days gives me a break!

Paid off my 50.79 cc balance this morning.

Need to figure out my budget for this month, because I owe my mum extra from shopping and want to boost my ff so I can pay as much of the Arvon balance as I can from savings.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 3rd May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Added 20 to ff, for Arvon course -- now 50 so 80 to repay back to its previous level and 520 to save altogether... Probably won't save the full amount before the balance is due, but if I manage to pay off the bulk by September, I won't need fo raid my rdf.

Mother still hasn't gotten around to adding up what I owe her from recent shopping (new clothes, Bosh cookbook), but should have time to do it this weekend. Plan to pay her as much as I can next week, which will hopefully make a big dent.

Staff at the youth mental health organisation I volunteer for gave me a (good) talking-to yesterday, pointing out that I'm doing well and have made progress in my daily life. As much as I get frustrated at not being able to find paid work, at least I'm working -- on my writing and in my volunteer role -- and contributing to the world. It's difficult to find balance between pushing myself to achieve and not putting myself under pressure, which results in more anxiety, depression and disappointment.

As a result of that conversation, I realised that it has been a pretty good week: I have walked the dog on my own, been to gym classes, did some running, written and studied.

I'm coming to the end of my OU course -- just the final assignment (due 4 weeks from today) to go. Got 95 for all three of the previous assignments, which should reassure me but makes me worried that I might get a much lower mark and fail to live up to my potential (again). I have enjoyed the module and it has informed my volunteer work, so looking forward to the two modules I will be doing next year. Waiting for OU email to alert me when I can apply for my part time student loan, which will probably be soon.

Maybe I'm in a reflective mood because my birthday is in a couple of weeks, but it's weird to think how different my life was 3/4 years ago. I never thought I would be able to study again, let alone in a new field. I was so frustrated about my mental health and financial situation that chasing my dreams never occurred to me. I didn't realise there were any opportunities available for me. Sometimes I slip back into that way of thinking -- equating my personal value with my debt/bank balance -- but most of the time I can see that I'm not just a burden on my parents and the state. And as people pointed out to me yesterday, it's not as if I asked to have mental health problems -- I'm just doing the best I can.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 3,515 Posts
    • 30,091 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi ABA

Welcome back, and really well done on all the progress that you've made since I was last on here and you were last on here. I have noticed that those of us with anxiety give ourselves a much harder time than we would ever give anyone else. I think you're doing amazingly well.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 4th May 18, 11:21 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Thanks, ccl great to see you back!

It's ridiculous how stressed I get about my finances. I suppose I have absorbed messages from my father's family about money indicating what people are worth and the pursuit of more money being paramount. I reject that philosophy -- there are so many people who make a huge difference on a modest income, just as there are millionaires who help nobody but themselves -- but it still raises its ugly head.

Interestingly, I have just finished a book called Supercoach by Michael Neill and he talks about meeting very wealthy clients who are stressed about money. They are obsessed with the fear they might lose some or all of their fortune. Neill says he had always assumed he would stop worrying about money when he had X amount, but talking with these people made him realise that if you stress about money to a greater extent than it warrants, you always will. Having 100,000 or even 1,000,000 in the bank won't change that, unless you change your mindset.

In my case, as much as I hate being a burden on my parents, it does mean that I am very unlikely to starve to death or be forced to live on the streets. I panic so much about not earning enough and relying on tax credits, yet my survival is not dependent on those things.

Don't get me wrong: I believe earning enough to live independently and repay my debt would be better for my mental health, but stressing about my inability to earn enough at the moment is detrimental to my mental health. It takes the focus away from things which can help me right now.

That's why my finances aren't a priority atm -- I'm only just beginning to realise that my life is worth living. I need to focus on living it, rather than cutting out every fun activity in favour of repaying my debt. I'm lucky that I owe all my debt to my parents, so the interest rate isn't affected by how long I take to pay. When I have obsessed over trying to pay it off asap (which, given my low income, doesn't make much difference to repaying it at a comfortable pace), my depression got worse and I tried to kill myself. This pattern repeated itself over and over, right up to Xmas last year. And as I pointed out to my mum, if I kill myself, my parents are left with my debt -- so I'm more of a burden dead than alive.

Sorry for this morbid discussion, but the upshot is that I need to learn to enjoy my life and manage my mental health so that I will be able to support myself in future.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 9th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Finally updated my loan info in my sig !!!8212; haven't repaid much, but it's double what it previously said! May is going to be an expensive month, because my website renewals are due, I want to enter several writing comps and I owe my mum for recent expenses (including new glasses, which I forgot about until I got a text saying they are ready...). Got a low interest rate on cc until November, so trying not to stress about having a balance again.

Since my mum hasn't told me what I owe her from shopping, I repaid the remaining 80 I borrowed from my fun fund. It's now 130 -- a long way off covering the Arvon course, so need to save another 440. I could raid my rdf if need be, but I'd rather not.

Had a great weekend: went on a couple of runs outside and spent a lot of time reading/studying in the sunshine. Felt a bit low (well, lower than usual) yesterday, because I managed to relax for a few days and forget my troubles so going back to the normal routine brought the stress back. I was pretty productive though -- blogged, entered a short story comp, researched places to submit stories and worked on a new short story.

Just feel like I could really use a "win" asap. While my life is better than it has been, it feels like I'm putting in a lot of effort and not getting results. Even my weight loss has stalled.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 10th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Got accepted as a writer on Copify today. The pay isn't great, but a little better than the previous content mill I tried. I will see how it goes -- spent 2 hours and 20 mins on a webpage today, which will earn me 9 if/when approved. On the bright side, I enjoyed today's assignment and you just accept assignments when you want them, so there's no bidding process taking up time without guarantee that you will get the assignment.

Assuming there are no issues with getting paid (unlike the cv company...), it's a way to earn a little cash. With short stories, you just have to submit (often paying for comps and, increasingly, reading fees for lit mags) and hope you get some money. Of course, the potential for earning more in the future is higher for fiction, as every story boosts my portfolio and may eventually lead to a collection (I can dream!). I will have to think about how to divide my time, especially when I get to grips with the Copify work. Hopefully, if all goes well and my mental health improves, I can increase my hours.

Other good news today: lost another lb after no change for 12 days, which felt like ages!
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 16th May 18, 2:12 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    So, my first Copify order got approved -- with 5 star feedback Have done 2 more orders today, totalling 12 for 2.5 hours of work (if approved). I sped up a bit, as they were webpages for the same client with some similarities in the topic, so did the first 400 word assignment in 90 minutes and the second in an hour. Hopefully there will be no problems and I will be able to claim my first payment soon (there's a 10 minimum).

Paid my mum rent and covered the cost of my glasses today. Still owe her just over 100 for shopping and dog food... Also paid all but 12 of my cc balance, though my most expensive website renewal is due any day now, so that will add 95.

Trying to write like crazy so I can enter short stories in upcoming comps/submissions windows before the deadlines. It's expensive, but the potential benefits of prize money and/or publicity outweigh the entry fees. Even getting long listed for a prestigious comp can make a huge difference and since I want to start approaching agents with my novel later this year, I need all the extra kudos I can get!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th May 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,515 Posts
    • 30,091 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sounds like all is going well at the moment ABA - congratulations on the excellent feedback in the new job as well.
    Long may it continue.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,383Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin