Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Anthony
    • By MSE Anthony 13th Jul 15, 2:45 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 11Thanks
    MSE Anthony
    0 WOW
    Grab a discount by abandoning your basket?
    • 13th Jul 15, 2:45 PM
    0 WOW
    Grab a discount by abandoning your basket? 13th Jul 15 at 2:45 PM
    Have you ever been offered a big discount from a shop, supermarket or service company simply because you didn't complete your order, or you haven't used them in a while?

We want to compile which firms do this (and what type of discounts are on offer), so people can tactically shop.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Anthony; 14-07-2015 at 3:39 PM.
    Follow the MSE Deals team on Twitter and Facebook
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
Page 4
    • katsoocam
    • By katsoocam 27th Apr 16, 1:50 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    katsoocam
    Photobox Discount
    I went to Photobox, created an account and designed a canvas, then got distracted and left it in my basket. I then got a fifty percent discount offer via email - sadly not including delivery, but still a good discount I thought.
    • qqueen
    • By qqueen 27th Apr 16, 5:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    qqueen
    Achica
    I'm a member of Achica, one of the 'members only' discount pages. They have some lovely stiff there and I have had some good deals on high price items. I left a basket the other day and received a 15% off the day after to complete my purchase.

I haven't had that before though and have probably abandoned several baskets!
    • EnglishBob
    • By EnglishBob 27th Apr 16, 10:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EnglishBob
    Cable Monkey sent me a 10% discount code for an abandoned basket, valid for 7 days. Handy if you're wiring up your home or office for IT, telephone or entertainment. I don't know if their discount varies depending on order value, but I abandoned twice (I'm very indecisive!) and got the same offer both times.
    • RajaStyle
    • By RajaStyle 28th Apr 16, 2:45 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    RajaStyle
    abandoned with Currys, emailed after an hour that I have left stuff in my basket but no discount offered.
    • Billy NM
    • By Billy NM 2nd May 16, 4:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Billy NM
    £5 off £10 spend abandoning Cotton Traders basket
    I've had more than one offer in the past after leaving items in basket with Cotton Traders. Definitely had a free P&P code before and last week had a £5 off £10 spend code. 24 hours after leaving basket I got a reminder email and when I didn't visit the site again, 24 hours after that I got the voucher code.
    • aurion22
    • By aurion22 9th May 16, 12:52 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    aurion22
    Abandoned basket discount?
    Hasn't worked for me. Left my shopping for a week at Tesco online but haven't had any offers from them. Do you have to delete the items or just walk away? I just left the site but the goods are still in the basket.
    • els76uk
    • By els76uk 11th May 16, 10:55 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    els76uk
    interlink parcel delivery
    I went to DPD's website to get a parcel delivery arranged, who sent me on to Interlink... I only wanted a quote, so filled in the details, and the following day, they sent me a £5 voucher to encourage me to complete my order.

Btw, I was arranging delivery from UK to Germany, and it was already the cheapest quote I'd found, much cheaper than any of the comparison sites.
    • mrecs
    • By mrecs 18th May 16, 8:59 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrecs
    Tesco
    We were looking for a new TV and tried abandoning a cart twice on Tesco.com but no discount offers!
    • MrsSJJ
    • By MrsSJJ 25th May 16, 7:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsSJJ
    Zest Beauty
    Tried the abandon basket trick - as if by magic, 24 hours later, an email with 5% code off high end skincare products! Thanks Martin!
    • Silverbird
    • By Silverbird 12th Jun 16, 10:12 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    Silverbird
    Peachy Lemon

I abandoned my basket and just a few hours later got a 10% off code by email.
    Thrilled to be DEBT-FREE as of 26.03.10
    Hubby DEBT-FREE as of 27.03.15

Debt at LBM (June '07): £8189.19
    • Jimjam73
    • By Jimjam73 21st Sep 16, 3:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jimjam73
    Hi, we often buy our work clothes from myworkwear.co.uk and they got our business because they offered us a 10% discount, as we were about to leave the page! I managed to write the discount code down (and this will save you having to abandon the basket!!) and it is FIRSTORDER10 which worked a treat! We have tried to use it again, but it looks like it is a one off! Hope this helps guys ;-)
    • Chrissie P
    • By Chrissie P 5th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Chrissie P
    Abandoned basket discount
    A year or so ago I was looking at The Perfume Shop and abandoned my basket - a couple of days later I was offered a further discount -10% I think! Well worth it - I happily made my purchase!
    • Missterrigirl
    • By Missterrigirl 5th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Missterrigirl
    I added a buggy board for £53.95 to my basket on Kiddicare but then got sidetracked, the next day they sent me an email to get free delivery. Huzzah!
    • CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 22nd Nov 16, 6:27 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    CAZBEAR
    Just got 15 % off after abandoning my basket for a magazine subscription for a couple of days....

had 2 reminders then the 3rd time they gave me a discount code!!

It was for Kerrang bt they do lots of other mags so might work for them too !! The co. is Great magazines.

Maybe a good idea for a christmas pressy for some-one !!
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
    • classy69
    • By classy69 10th Aug 17, 11:26 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    classy69
    Wayfair
    Hi,

Does anybody know if they 'abandoned shopping cart' method works on Wayfair?

Thanks.
    • Yorkie71
    • By Yorkie71 16th Nov 17, 8:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yorkie71
    LED Hut
    I've had abandoned basket discounts quite regularly with LED Hut. Great service too which is a bonus.
    • Portabello
    • By Portabello 10th Nov 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Portabello
    Saved loads on prescription glasses (varifocals)
    I have been resisting the transition to bifocals/varifocals because I haven't wanted to admit to my own age, but as my 55th birthday drew near (and I stopped being able to recognise dear friends on the street), I decided to make the jump. Took advantage of a free eye test at Boots Optical (coupon on the back of an old receipt); then went to local Specsavers and found a pair of rimless Jaeger frames I really liked, but they wanted £280 for them-- without the lenses! (with varifocal lenses, they would have been well over £500). So I noted the style number and colour code on the frames, and searched for them on Google, and came up with a terrific online place that had them for £115. However, after I went through the entire process of adding my prescription and my lenses, the total was £440, which was more than I was hoping to pay. Started over again at JP Opticians, who had the same frames for slightly more money (£125), but the lenses for much less-- came out about £360+, still a good savings. But I registered and tried the abandoned shopping basket trick just in case.The next day, 10% voucher. Just got the varifocals with the best Essilor lenses and coatings (not offered at Specsavers even if you want them) for £342. Nice 55th birthday present for myself, and now maybe I'll be able to recognise my neighbours and friends when I pass them on the street. Thanks, Martin!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,774Posts Today

6,553Users online

Martin's Twitter