DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning everyone. I hope the sun is shining in your neck of the woods as it is here:j

I asked this question before but didn't receive any response so I'm hoping it was just overlooked and someone might see it now and be able to give a bit of advice please.

Am on a DMP (about halfway through a 6 year stint) with defaults on my credit record from 4 of my creditors. All DMP payments are and have always been up to date.

I know they credit-check for mobile phone contracts but I don't want to apply for one of them. I want to change provider for landline-phone and broadband. I've been with BT from many years before DMP started and never had any problems with late or missed payments. They aren't anything to do with my DMP. Does anyone know if they credit-check applicants for switching phone/broadband suppliers please? My credit score is still rubbish (1 out of 5:o).

Thanks for any advice:beer:
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2016 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Hi everyone

The battle with BC to default our account it beginning to depress me :(

When on the DMP with SC they were adding interest at 3%, now it is much higher. They are now adding over £300 per month interest - 24.85% (27.9% compound equivalent)

I was making token payments. Now I am going to stop making any payments.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Brogden
    Brogden Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    MitziB wrote: »
    Good Morning everyone. I hope the sun is shining in your neck of the woods as it is here:j

I asked this question before but didn't receive any response so I'm hoping it was just overlooked and someone might see it now and be able to give a bit of advice please.

Am on a DMP (about halfway through a 6 year stint) with defaults on my credit record from 4 of my creditors. All DMP payments are and have always been up to date.

I know they credit-check for mobile phone contracts but I don't want to apply for one of them. I want to change provider for landline-phone and broadband. I've been with BT from many years before DMP started and never had any problems with late or missed payments. They aren't anything to do with my DMP. Does anyone know if they credit-check applicants for switching phone/broadband suppliers please? My credit score is still rubbish (1 out of 5:o).

Thanks for any advice:beer:
    I have a series of defaults and I switched without any problem at all. My guess is that you will be fine.

Virgin Media said they would ask for a deposit if the check was not good. Guess what? I did not need to pay the deposit and got a fantastic mobile deal on top only offered to those who pass with flying colours :rotfl:!!
  • Shirt_buttons
    Options
    Hi I promise I have read all the pages on the site but going back over I cannot find the letter that I should send to creditors to advise I am with SC and they will be contacting them once they have sorted through my paperwork, I was planning on sending an instant message via their web site page as remember reading this is ok to do with some and you get a response within a day or two. I will post a letter to the others. Also should I go on line and send a token payment to them all ? I am confused as some people do and some don't.... I will be paying step change a total and they will be paying the debts for me. I only sent my paperwork off to SC end of last week but am getting several calls a day from creditors .. I just don't pick up as I cant face talking to them so would rather send them a letter.
    If one of you would kindly point me in the right direction where I can find the template I would be grateful.
    Thank you
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If one of you would kindly point me in the right direction where I can find the template I would be grateful.
    Thank you

Simple to do one yourself.

Dear Creditor,

As you may be aware, I am experiencing some degree of financial difficulty at the moment.

I am consulting with Stepchange, and am currently in the process of setting up a debt management plan with them.

This will be finalised shortly, and Stepchange will be in touch with you soon.

In the meantime, can I ask that all communication be in writing only, so there can be no confusion over what has been agreed.

yours sincerely,

shirtbuttons.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I promise I have read all the pages on the site but going back over I cannot find the letter that I should send to creditors to advise I am with SC and they will be contacting them once they have sorted through my paperwork, I was planning on sending an instant message via their web site page as remember reading this is ok to do with some and you get a response within a day or two. I will post a letter to the others. Also should I go on line and send a token payment to them all ? I am confused as some people do and some don't.... I will be paying step change a total and they will be paying the debts for me. I only sent my paperwork off to SC end of last week but am getting several calls a day from creditors .. I just don't pick up as I cant face talking to them so would rather send them a letter.
    Thank you

Page 114. Post 2265

Puzz.x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • blisteringblue
    Options
    Hi everyone

When on the DMP with SC they were adding interest at 3%, now it is much higher. They are now adding over £300 per month interest - 24.85% (27.9% compound equivalent)

Hi Jan,

That is bizarre, they were really good with us, I sent my letter saying I was dropping to token, they rang me the about a week later and we discussed it, they said they would freeze interest but it will be a "unofficial" agreement and would eventually go to collections. I even chanced my arm and asked for the interest back for the 1st month it went back on and they agreed.

It then went to PRA and is now defaulted. However Mrs BB is still with BC, even though they said it too was passing to PRA, but the last letter I had about this was November. It's still 0% so not really bothered other than they get token still.

My ex BC is now back to normal payment with PRA(T) Group just so I can get back to clearing it.

It just seems they want to grind us down as a tactic this year.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jan,

That is bizarre, they were really good with us, I sent my letter saying I was dropping to token, they rang me the about a week later and we discussed it, they said they would freeze interest but it will be a "unofficial" agreement and would eventually go to collections. I even chanced my arm and asked for the interest back for the 1st month it went back on and they agreed.

It then went to PRA and is now defaulted. However Mrs BB is still with BC, even though they said it too was passing to PRA, but the last letter I had about this was November. It's still 0% so not really bothered other than they get token still.

My ex BC is now back to normal payment with PRA(T) Group just so I can get back to clearing it.

It just seems they want to grind us down as a tactic this year.

Thanks BB

I think I will try one more letter and see what happens. It can't hurt any more than their current stance is doing :(
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • phoenixx
    phoenixx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone

It is indeed depressing dealing with BC! Only stopping payments completely and ignoring them has changed anything for us...
    Let us know how you get on. X
    DMP since August 2011
    DFD January 2018 hopefully sooner :j
    Debt at start: £98769:eek:
    Debt now: £24993:o
    Paid back: £73776 :j
    Taking it one day at a time:T
  • chiefsfanuk
    chiefsfanuk Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All,

Whilst I have been a member of these forums for some time now, I haven't been an active user for a few months.
    However, last week, after receiving an unexpected £80 in fees on my current account, I had a light bulb moment. I realised as much as I tried to keep up with my payments and refused to accept how irresponsible my borrowing had gotten in the last two to three years, I have reached the point of something has gotta give!
    So, after speaking with DH and using the SC website, we have come to the mutual decision that a DMP is the way forward. I have spent hours on end reading this thread and can't thank you all enough for this amazing resource of wisdom, experience and information so wanted to put in a 'Hey, how you all doing and thank you' post real quick.
    Mine and my husband's journey starts here; We have applied and been approved for a new basic account and I also have another current account with no overdraft. We plan to use the method of all bills from one account (have switched DD's from the fee charging account mentioned above) and all regular spending (ie groceries, petrol etc) from the new account to help us stay organised and in control. Also I have sent off for the paperwork from SC to get the ball rolling on our DMP (approx £20k debt with £115 per month to pay, increasing by £120 next February when the HP on our car is paid off). I have stopped ignoring the phone calls and spoken to two of my creditors, BC and Capital One, who have put me on a 30 day hold while they wait to hear from SC.
    All in all, after just five days I feel like I am finally dealing with our demons and made a good start on the loooong road ahead!
    So yeah... Hello, thank you and talk more soon :)
    V
    V xxx
    :idea: LBM 5/4/16 :idea:
    DMP Journey starts April 2016. Time to take control once and for all!
    Unsecured Debt £20583/£20583 Emergency fund £0/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport