Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 2,028Posts
    • 13,367Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 83
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 39,824 Posts
    • 146,688 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I feel your pain, Cheery!

But you sound like you really want it, so go for it! .

As you say......CHICKENS!

You'll soon hear the little cluck of scratching feet!

Ooh! I'm getting excited for you!

And you must post pics! Straight away!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 41,657 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Sadly after much deliberation and gnashing of teeth I think I am unfortunately going to have to say no on this occasion, much as I REALLY don't want to It's my own stupid fault for putting off getting my act together I admit I thought I'd get more than 5 days notice...

And five days would be enough, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm away all day tomorrow (early morning til midnight), then I'm at an event leaving 7am on Friday to Sunday morning. And that event also involves an assessment for a course I'm doing, for which I've taken Thursday off work to prepare because I am SO not ready for that either

God I need to sort my life out

Mr Cheery reckons he'd be prepared to spend time sorting out the coop, but he's also in the middle of about three other projects at the minute so they'd need to be ditched (one of them is building *us* a bed )

Aaargggghh! I SO much want to say yes!

However... I am on the list for TWO collection points, and as far as I know only ONE of them is collecting this weekend, so if I say no to this one, then the other one might not be too far down the line - hopefully I wouldn't have to wait for this same one again. I'm going to ring them in the morning to check...

Urgh. This feels like the sensible decision but I'm quite hormonal today and my goodness I'm grumpy about it
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • edwink
    • By edwink 10th Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    Don't get all stressed about getting them Cheery. They do these rescues throughout the year so there will be plenty more happening so hopefully you will be ready for one of those. If you have other things going on you need to do those things first and only when you are ready to get hens you should get them. Not worth getting stressed about them and wearing yourself out now is it?

So if I were you get all your important things done first, enjoy building the coop another time, phone up and find out when the rescue is, go and collect them and enjoy being a responsible poultry keeper like us lot on here. Oh and please don't worry I will be with you every step of the way and others on here too so anytime you are worried about anything when you finally have them just ask on here and we can help I promise.

With regards to their feed maybe ask around where you are and if others keep hens find out where they get their pellets from. Heygates pellets I have found are always pretty reasonable price wise for a 20kg sack. Normally it is quite costly to have pellets delivered so worth looking online to see if anyone in your area sells it or another brand. A 20kg sack should last you a fair amount of time but this will depend on how many hens you get obviously. Also you will need straw or cut straw so maybe worth asking around or looking online for that too. Don't get them hay as the bugs love it and it can be rather dusty for the hens so best avoided We use Unibedding which is in a 20kg big plastic compact bag which goes on for ages. I always find that extremely clean to use and use it for both my hens and ducks here. Straw is good too especially if you have somewhere dry to keep it. For a water container you can use just about anything as long as the container is not too lightweight where they can keep tipping it over.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 10-07-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 3 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 18, 12:05 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 41,657 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw, thanks edwink you're right of course, no use getting stressed I'd just wound myself up as the last one at this place was early April andI didn't have to wait another three months for the next one!

But as Mr Cheery said, if I'm SO desperate and there's no sign of a rescue we could always just BUY some although knowing my luck there would then be a rescue straight after and I'd have a giant flock of them

Most vexing that hay isn't advised - I literally have an entire acre lf hay meadow outside the back door and nothing to do with it
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    How is everyone? Enjoying this warm or should I say hot weather I hope. I am not keen with it being this hot tbh because like others I find it so tiring and having so much to do here I have now got behind with things. The girls hotels have just all been cleaned out and now have fresh shaved straw in the nesting box and in the ducks hotel. Lucky feathered friends that's all I can say as we have not had a clean bed change this week yet. On the cards for doing tomorrow actually so must not grumble.

Lots of sunbathing with feathers fanned out here which is so lovely to see especially from the rescue girls. Only problem we have is that our beautiful Cockerel keeps giving food away to his girls and only when he has done that will he eat something. I gave them some chopped strawberries and grapes yesterday and he didn't eat even one piece. He was picking pieces up but then dropping them and chirping at the hens to go and eat it. I know he wants to look after them but I wish he would eat more himself

How is it going for those that are in the process of making their coops and those that have recently got new hens?. All going ok I hope! Don't forget we do like to see photos of your feathered friends if you get the time to post them that would be great.

That's all from me for now.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 19-07-2018 at 8:19 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 39,824 Posts
    • 146,688 Thanks
    Pyxis
    How is everyone? Enjoying this warm or should I say hot weather I hope. I am not keen with it being this hot tbh because like others I find it so tiring and having so much to do here I have now got behind with things. The girls hotels have just all been cleaned out and now have fresh shaved straw in the nesting box and in the ducks hotel. Lucky feathered friends that's all I can say as we have not had a clean bed change this week yet. On the cards for doing tomorrow actually so must not grumble.

Lots of sunbathing with feathers fanned out here which is so lovely to see especially from the rescue girls. Only problem we have is that our beautiful Cockerel keeps giving food away to his girls and only when he has done that will he eat something. I gave them some chopped strawberries and grapes yesterday and he didn't eat even one piece. He was picking pieces up but then dropping them and chirping at the hens to go and eat it. I know he wants to look after them but I wish he would eat more himself

How is it going for those that are in the process of making their coops and those that have recently got new hens?. All going ok I hope! Don't forget we do like to see photos of your feathered friends if you get the time to post them that would be great.

That's all from me for now.

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    Oh wow! How selfless!

Now, all we need is a Good Fairy to come along and turn him into a human, and I'd snap him up!
    And I wouldn't mind if he's up at 4.30 in the mornings, either!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Jul 18, 8:06 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 41,657 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    pyxis

Much excitement here - next batch of rescue hens is being released on 2nd Sept and we have said YES! Six weeks away which is a decent amount of time to get our acts properly together These are ex barn hens, so not battery but they still won't have been outside. So exciting!

Rather annoyingly I've got two weeks off BEFORE that - good for getting ready but it would be nice to have more time to play
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 39,824 Posts
    • 146,688 Thanks
    Pyxis
    pyxis

Much excitement here - next batch of rescue hens is being released on 2nd Sept and we have said YES! Six weeks away which is a decent amount of time to get our acts properly together These are ex barn hens, so not battery but they still won't have been outside. So exciting!

Rather annoyingly I've got two weeks off BEFORE that - good for getting ready but it would be nice to have more time to play
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Ooooh! .

Do you know what sort they'll be?

How many will you be getting?

Must have pics!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 41,657 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    No idea what sort they'll be - 'chickens' is good enough for me We're getting four - that seemed like enough that they'd be a little gang of pals, but not so overwhelming for our first lot.

Very excited

There will definitely be pics
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Jul 18, 8:09 AM
    • 39,824 Posts
    • 146,688 Thanks
    Pyxis
    No idea what sort they'll be - 'chickens' is good enough for me We're getting four - that seemed like enough that they'd be a little gang of pals, but not so overwhelming for our first lot.

Very excited

There will definitely be pics
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    The Gang of Four!

Politichickens!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 24th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    I have to confess to totally spoiling my hens today in the way of a huge ice lolly between them. OMG it didn't even last a minute. I couldn't take a picture as it ended up all over my hands with them pecking at all they could get in their tiny mouths. Aww bless their little feathered socks they really, really enjoyed it. Will get hubby to take picture next time.

Besides the above the ducks have all been in the pond more than a few times each today and are now sitting and snoozing under the fruit trees in the shade whilst the hens keep waiting for me at the gate with the hope of another ice lolly.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 27th Jul 18, 11:10 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    As it was so hot today I put a couple of home grown cucumbers in the freezer for an hour or so and cut one in to big chunks for the hens to peck at. I found a nice cool shaded area and gave them to them there and they loved them and just wouldn't leave them alone. Cut the other one in to small pieces for the ducks and they scoffed them in no time. Aww bless them it was so hot out there for them all today. Just thought freezing cucumbers was healthier than ice lollies . Although I know from experience that hens love those too

Yesterday we fully jet washed the hens and ducks bedtime hotels, the two hen outdoor rain shelter huts, all their water containers and all their feed troughs too. Although water is getting short we knew rain was soon on its way so took advantage of the really hot weather because we knew the hotels would be fully dry by their bedtime. It is great when we can get that job done in one day and they looked like brand new again so we were very pleased with ourselves for getting those done this year. They were not jet washed last year because of hubbies serious accident Their hotels are much cleaner than our house now, seriously they are. Our house is not dirty but incredibly dusty especially so because we live down an unmade road/dirt track and every time a vehicle passes it throws up so much dust in this really dry weather. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it .

Hope everyone and their girls are ok.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 27-07-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 28th Jul 18, 7:23 AM
    • 39,824 Posts
    • 146,688 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Did you get torrential rain last night?

If you did, will your hens be splashing about in puddles today, like big kids?

I misread your post and thought you had jet-washed the hens!

I had visions of hens being blasted into the air atop a jet of water!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 28-07-2018 at 7:25 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 28th Jul 18, 9:39 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    Did you get torrential rain last night?

If you did, will your hens be splashing about in puddles today, like big kids?

I misread your post and thought you had jet-washed the hens!

I had visions of hens being blasted into the air atop a jet of water!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

We did get some rain but not a lot. But during the early hours of tomorrow and throughout the day it looks like most of the country is going to get a good old soaking. Our water butts will start filling up again hoorah!! I really do not like giving our feathered friend tap water

Love those little welly boots those hens have. Now I want a pair with spots on. Come to think of it I had a navy blue pair once that had pink spots on but they didn't last very long. In fact I've had several pairs over the years of different funky design welly boots and even ones with yellow ducks on but in the end I gave in a bought a real decent pair, just plain green but they have lasted and are still going strong. Well worth paying that much extra for them in the end especially with our lifestyle here.

I understand where you are coming from regarding jet washing the hens because I re-read my post and yes it does start to read as if I was saying that. As if I would do something like that to my ickle friends Pyxis

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 28-07-2018 at 9:42 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 16,923 Posts
    • 282,884 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Hey everyone!

I try and read the goings on with everyone, even if i dont post

I lost another one yesterday Apparently she had egg yolk peritonitis and vent gleet, the combination of both being too much for her

My noisiest, nosiest, greediest and funniest hen has left a huge gap in our little run. The remaining two girls are quiet ones anyway so its horrendously quiet there at the moment. She found a way of escaping a couple of times last week and found her way under the gooseberry bushes straight away, knowing that i couldnt get her out from there
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 1st Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 39,824 Posts
    • 146,688 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Sad for you Ditzy.

I had to google those conditions, as I know nothing about poultry illnesses.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 2nd Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    Hey everyone!
    I lost another one yesterday Apparently she had egg yolk peritonitis and vent gleet, the combination of both being too much for her
    Originally posted by Dizzy Ditzy

Aww Dizzy that is sad for you and your poor little hen, bless you both. Have a cyber (((HUG))) from me. You obviously did all you could to help her but sometimes it is just all too much for their little bodies to cope with

Very hard to explain to others on here what egg yolk peritonitis is in so many words so I have found this article, if others are interested, of what it actually is and what happens. This article explains the condition much clearer than I would be able to with just me waffling on about it.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/blog/p150-Common-chicken-health-concerns

Also this is a good article by the Hen Welfare Trust that explains about Vent Gleet.

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/vent-gleet/

Some articles I have come across over my time just go over and over the same thing and never really get to the point of explaining what a condition actually entails but these two are pretty good and straight forward.

Although these two conditions can be rare-ish they sadly do happen even in little flocks . Just remember Dizzy you did all you could to help her and make her as comfortable as possible. It is so sad when they are ill and go so quiet especially if they were one of the more noisiest hens in the flock because you do miss the little bizarre noises you are used to them making.

Talking of noises one of mine was making an awful noise sitting under one of our large shrubs yesterday. I thought I should go and investigate and couldn't believe my eyes when I lifted some of the lower branches to find her leaping up off of 5 eggs in the shade. Thought the amount off eggs being laid in their nesting box was low for the 4 hens but put it down to their age and the heat at the moment. Little did I know they had boycotted their clean and fresh hygienic nesting box and made this little nest in the soil surrounded by dead leaves. Back to the normal summer egg hunt for us here now as per normal

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 02-08-2018 at 9:23 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    Lots and lots of sunbathing going on here with my hens then they are finding it too hot and spend the rest of the time under a bush in the shade. Bless 'em!

Ducks are behaving quite oddly here because I thought they would spend more time in the pond in this weather. But, they are having the odd quick dip and splash about then sitting in the hens coop. Our Indian Runner (my avatar) is the only one that spends the day swimming about and constantly ducking her head under water. It looks so cute when we see just her little legs sticking out of the water. Our ducks have spent a lot less time in the pond since they have aged. It is not that the pond is difficult to get in and out of I think it is just an age thing maybe.

Not long now Cheery and you will soon be the owner of 4 little chooks. How is the coop and run building going? Maybe you have left that for a while as you have 100 and 1 things to be getting on with instead right now. Are you counting down the days?

Going to be cooler from tomorrow here which will be much more manageable for us. We face the South and boy it is so hot out there. I'm actually looking forward to the cooler weather because trying to sleep at night has be so difficult.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • dizzybee
    • By dizzybee 7th Aug 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,196 Thanks
    dizzybee
    Looking for some advice please only been looking after chickens for 3 weeks,rescued 3 but two are picking on one really badly so have separated them, has she is so scared manged to get hold of her tonight and she feels really hot, she has been eating, drinking and pooing normally but just worried has she feels so hot.she is currently resting in a cat basket in the shed. cant find a vet local that looks after chickens,

• edwink
    • By edwink 8th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    edwink
    Looking for some advice please only been looking after chickens for 3 weeks,rescued 3 but two are picking on one really badly so have separated them, has she is so scared manged to get hold of her tonight and she feels really hot, she has been eating, drinking and pooing normally but just worried has she feels so hot.she is currently resting in a cat basket in the shed. cant find a vet local that looks after chickens,
    Originally posted by dizzybee
    Try not to worry too much dizzy. Easier said than done I know but your hens are sorting out their pecking order and it looks as though she is at the bottom of it. Then the other 2 will decide between themselves with the odd bit of fighting and pecking to establish which one of them is top dog.

If your little hen is eating, drinking and her droppings are ok that is really good. It is possible that she is just really stressed because the other two are bulling her. If you were to pick up either one of the other two you will see that they are fairly warm too especially in this hot weather. I am not sure where you are in the country but if your area is hot at the moment that could well be the cause of why she is so hot. I wouldn't worry too much as hens rarely overheat in hot weather.

How is she today? Obviously she will be a lot less stressed now you have moved her away from the other two. But, moving her away from them could prolong the bullying I'm afraid. Sometimes it is best to try and find time to play referee with them all and keep a real close eye on them or just sit near them so the bullying doesn't get out of hand. We have had real punch ups here introducing new hens but after a couple of weeks and sometimes just days it all settles down completely, thankfully. There has only been a couple of times where it has continued for a bit longer but they settled in the end. Once the pecking order is fully established the bullying should stop.

Please let me know how they are getting on!

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 08-08-2018 at 5:07 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin