Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,862Posts
    • 12,379Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 71
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 12th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    Beckyy
    So sorry Edwink She would have had a great retirement with you though.

We are getting lots more eggs now! How about everyone else?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Feb 18, 8:58 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    We lost one of our old ex batts in the night. She went to hen heaven in her sleep which is the best way for her, bless her.

Its been rather quiet on here lately I do hope that everyone is ok and their hens too.

Just off to change my signature "again"

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    Sorry about your old'un.

As you say, that's the best way to go. Shock for you, though. But yes, you gave her a good life.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink
    So sorry Edwink She would have had a great retirement with you though.
    We are getting lots more eggs now! How about everyone else?
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    Thank you so much Beckyy

We are getting anything from 1 to 3 a day at the moment. That's not bad actually because all mine are old ex batts except for my 6 year old Bluebell hen.

Sorry about your old'un.
    As you say, that's the best way to go. Shock for you, though. But yes, you gave her a good life.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Thank you so much Pyxis

I always pride myself on giving them a good life Pyxis. I wouldn't have it any other way for them. Their house is actually cleaner than mine . Plus they get a fresh bed every night I don't

I do love them so much. They really are a huge part of my life. And to think I was terrified of ALL birds over 10 years ago .

Edwink x x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 7 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis

I do love them so much. They really are a huge part of my life. And to think I was terrified of ALL birds over 10 years ago .

Edwink x x
    wow! I didn't know that!

However did you manage with your first hens, then?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 13th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink

Edwink x x
    wow! I didn't know that!
    However did you manage with your first hens, then?
    It's true Pyxis seriously I was terrified.

Over the years when I was growing up I became unhappy about anything that flapped its wings as was my mother. My mother was locked in a Chicken coop by some bullies at her school and her fear of birds started shortly after that. Where mine came from I don't know although saying that it could of rubbed off my mother, I don't really know.

I remember once a little Blue Tit flew through our bedroom window whilst I was in there tidying up. I shot out of the bedroom when I saw the little thing sit on the window sill and shut the door firmly behind me. I left the door shut all day until my husband finished work at around 10pm. I wouldn't go in there until he had searched in every nook and cranny and that included the wardrobe etc. I was petrified of the little thing.

Some time later I was doing some gardening with my mother and had the French doors open to my cottage and a bird flew straight in through the kitchen doors. That was it I was panicking but even though my mother was also scared bless her she put on a brave face for me and ran in and opened all the windows so the little thing could fly out.

Another time I went to my brothers with my mother. My brother kept hens in a coop at the bottom of his garden and we were talking about our fear of birds and my SIL said come in to the coop with me both of you. Long story short we did go in there but you should have seen us all with my SIL in the front, my mother holding on to the back of my SIL's jumper and me at the back holding on to the back of my mothers jumper. We were all in and out within a few minutes and my heart was pounding it was blooming frightening for both my mother and I but we did it.

Fast forward 5 years and hubby and I decided together (mainly me actually) we would like to go down the route of growing our own veg, generate our own electric and wait for it KEEP HENS I knew then if we were to keep hens I had to finally get rid of my fear of birds. We moved house, built a chicken coop and duck run so all that was left was for us to get some hens and ducks. First came 2 ducks and I would walk round the garden with them but if they flapped their wings I'd leg it down the garden back in to the house. Finally we decided to get some hens so I arranged with Little Hen Rescue to rehome 12 ex battery hens from them. How did I loose the fear??? When we went to collect them we saw over 200 poor little very bald frightened little hens in a stable all together. I told the lady I was scared of them but my husband wasn't and we had some experience with my brother and his hens. She told her husband to go in to the stable and pass 12 of them out over the stable doors to her. Then I said wait I want to go in to the stable as well. She asked me if I was sure and I said yep got to do it some time. So in I went with all these little hens squawking, chirping and moving around my legs not to mention the flapping that was going on in there . I was shaking like a blooming leaf and I was saying to the ladies husband "I'll have that one please" whilst pointing. And this went on until 12 hens were in the back of our car. We got home and there was a little present waiting for us when we opened the car door to get them out. Our first ever egg was laid on the journey back home to our house. My husband collected one hen in each arm and carried them up the garden path so I just picked one up (only one) and carried that little hen through to our back garden and put her on the lawn. I couldn't believe how soft and cuddly she was so I sat with them when they were all on the lawn getting to know them all with strokes and cuddles for each and every one of them.

Sorry the story is so long but there was no use only explaining half of it was there?.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 13-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well, that's just brilliant!

And good on you for conquering the fear!

Are you ok with all other birds now?

I used to train garden birds to fly to my hand for live mealworms, and it was a very rewarding experience.
    They only alighted on my hand for the briefest of seconds, and I was always amazed at how very light they were!

I must start doing that again, as it is lovely! Robins were easy, but I also trained a starling.

I did rescue a damaged sparrow once, and nursed it for 6 weeks (with vet advice) in a hamster cage before taking it to a bird rescue place. That was good, too!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 13th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink
    Well, that's just brilliant! And good on you for conquering the fear!

Are you ok with all other birds now?

I used to train garden birds to fly to my hand for live mealworms, and it was a very rewarding experience.
    They only alighted on my hand for the briefest of seconds, and I was always amazed at how very light they were!
    I must start doing that again, as it is lovely! Robins were easy, but I also trained a starling.
    I did rescue a damaged sparrow once, and nursed it for 6 weeks (with vet advice) in a hamster cage before taking it to a bird rescue place. That was good, too!
    Thank you Pyxis

Yes am sort of ok with other birds. I say sort of because I have never handled one, well not yet anyway. I am not surprised that they are lightweights because you would be surprised how light some hens actually are whereas some are real fatties and weigh a blooming ton.

How nice of you to train the birds to come to you for mealworms. I very nearly encouraged our robin to come to me but she stopped and landed about 2ft from me and just sat there looking at me. I always give her a little something to eat every morning so she is used to me by now.

Well done for looking after the Sparrow and nursing it back to health.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Thank you Pyxis

Yes am sort of ok with other birds. I say sort of because I have never handled one, well not yet anyway. I am not surprised that they are lightweights because you would be surprised how light some hens actually are whereas some are real fatties and weigh a blooming ton.

How nice of you to train the birds to come to you for mealworms. I very nearly encouraged our robin to come to me but she stopped and landed about 2ft from me and just sat there looking at me. I always give her a little something to eat every morning so she is used to me by now.

Well done for looking after the Sparrow and nursing it back to health.

Edwink
    I used to sit at a garden table, and place a couple of mealworms at the other end of the table, and keep very still while the bird came and took it.

Then I'd gradually place the worms nearer and nearer to me, putting my upturned empty hand on the table too. Gradually the worms would be placed nearer and nearer to my hand, and finally, when the bird was happy, I'd put the mealworms on my hand, with my hand still on the table.
    That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird....you have to keep very still indeed.

When the bird was happy with taking worms from my hand on the table, I'd let my hand hover over the table, at increasing heights.

That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird, too.

Eventually, I'd stand up with my hand over the table, and finally I could stand anywhere with an outstretched hand.

It took a few days. You need lots of free time!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 13th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink
    I used to sit at a garden table, and place a couple of mealworms at the other end of the table, and keep very still while the bird came and took it.
    Then I'd gradually place the worms nearer and nearer to me, putting my upturned empty hand on the table too. Gradually the worms would be placed nearer and nearer to my hand, and finally, when the bird was happy, I'd put the mealworms on my hand, with my hand still on the table.
    That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird....you have to keep very still indeed.
    When the bird was happy with taking worms from my hand on the table, I'd let my hand hover over the table, at increasing heights.
    That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird, too.
    Eventually, I'd stand up with my hand over the table, and finally I could stand anywhere with an outstretched hand.
    It took a few days. You need lots of free time!
    Right that's me set for trying that then. I won't be able to do it for a little while because busy at home at the minute decluttering my art/sewing/card making/eBaying/puzzle making room as I am doing the 2018 decluttering challenge here on MSE. I have turned the room inside out over the past month and now putting it all back tidy and clutter free ha ha ha. And yes the decluttering is going really well with lots of bits and bobs going to the local hospice charity shop

Thanks for the tips Pyxis. If I can find it I'll post a pic of me holding my speckled hen when she was poorly. She is sitting on my lap looking out of the door that leads to our garden. Bless her. She is no longer with me now but oh did I love that special little girl.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Right that's me set for trying that then. I won't be able to do it for a little while because busy at home at the minute decluttering my art/sewing/card making/eBaying/puzzle making room as I am doing the 2018 decluttering challenge here on MSE. I have turned the room inside out over the past month and now putting it all back tidy and clutter free ha ha ha. And yes the decluttering is going really well with lots of bits and bobs going to the local hospice charity shop

Thanks for the tips Pyxis. If I can find it I'll post a pic of me holding my speckled hen when she was poorly. She is sitting on my lap looking out of the door that leads to our garden. Bless her. She is no longer with me now but oh did I love that special little girl.

Edwink

Another tip re feeding birds.
    The mealworms have to be live ones.
    I did try the freeze-dried ones when the birds were fully trained, but they turned tail and wouldn't take them, and seed just got a look of disgust.

I don't know if you give your hens live mealworms, but if not, you can keep them in the fridge for a while, otherwise they start turning into pupae.

If they are on your hand too long, they warm up and get rather mobile!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 14th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink

Another tip re feeding birds.
    The mealworms have to be live ones.
    I did try the freeze-dried ones when the birds were fully trained, but they turned tail and wouldn't take them, and seed just got a look of disgust.
    If they are on your hand too long, they warm up and get rather mobile!
    OMG Pyxis do they really need to be live ones? We give dried ones to our hens and ducks as a treat from time to time so I can handle those ok but LIVE ones I am not sure. Its just the crawling about thing I am not keen on especially with them warming up in my hand too

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 14th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink
    Why is our hen thread so quiet???
    Is everyone on here OK? I am wondering if some of you are really struggling with your hens as we have yet another ban on letting them out at the moment. Remember you can still let them out as long as they are fenced in completely and you cover them over completely. Basically just make sure that they can not mix with any wild birds what so ever. Not easy though I know for those that keep their hens in huts that have small runs attached to them. Makes it awfully dark for the hens being covered over I bet unless of course you have access to electricity for some temporary lighting. I know some of you keep your hens on your allotments so you more than likely wont have access to any electricity to makes things more comfortable for your girls. I suppose you could always look for some battery operated lighting but on the other hand I bet these would drain so many batteries being switched on all day every day. If anyone has tried this type of lighting if would be useful if you could post and tell us on here what you are using as it could help others.

Well hopefully this ban won't go on for too long. As far as I am aware there have not been any new outbreaks recently which is always a good sign. I am sure like others we are all keeping our fingers and toes crossed and that the ban will be lifted soon.

Keep your chins up everyone.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 14-02-2018 at 2:59 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • vjm63
    • By vjm63 14th Feb 18, 4:57 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    vjm63
    I must admit I am one of those that listens/reads and rarely posts - I have been keeping up with things here!

My girls are really miffed at me not letting them out - over the last year I had gone from letting them out of the run they have for a highly supervised hour or so a day, to gradually letting them out longer and longer, to the point that they were roaming the garden themselves for maybe five hours or more happily. I would look out and do a headcount periodically, or if I could not spot them go out and do a definite check - quite often they were off in two or three different places (I have 8 girls) but they would come to me expecting treats!

Our garden is fenced, and a good size for them (maybe 0.2 acre) with different areas, but I had seen girls chicken-limboing into the field next door (also ours) so do like to ensure they are visible ... They look so innocent as they charge back to me shouting ...

I have also found it amusing that the local cats have learned to avoid them: at first I was nervous and would go out to chase the cat away, but I have at various times seen them being positively escorted off the premises from a safe distance by a couple of the girls. Also I have seen various local felines coming into the garden, looking around 'just in case' and their normal saunter is a trot across the place - watching a cat trying to convey superiority whilst jogging out of range is quite amusing...! Another time I heard the girls fussing, and went to see what it was - one cat was trying to sit peacefully in a warm patch on the patio, but then had got four girls shouting at him from several feet away - I am not sure if the expression was disdain or disgust, but he has not sat there again!

So, they are miffed that they cannot be out exploring, and we all really look forward to when it is allowed!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    OMG Pyxis do they really need to be live ones? We give dried ones to our hens and ducks as a treat from time to time so I can handle those ok but LIVE ones I am not sure. Its just the crawling about thing I am not keen on especially with them warming up in my hand too

Edwink
    It's ok, really!

A) they aren't slimy or anything, nothing like an earth-worm feels.
    B) they are just a bit tickly!
    C) at this time of year, they aren't likely to get too warm outside on your hand! Also, it's only really before the birds are confident that they would be on your hand long enough to warm up.
    D) they are hatched and bred on bran, so they are perfectly clean and hygienic.

It doesn't feel any worse than say, a ladybird moving across your hand.

It might be different with your garden birds, but I really had no success at all with the dried worms.
    I suppose it's because they are feeding them to chicks, mostly.
    They do go mad for the live ones, though, which is why they are willing to overcome their fear of the humin!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I have also found it amusing that the local cats have learned to avoid them: at first I was nervous and would go out to chase the cat away, but I have at various times seen them being positively escorted off the premises from a safe distance by a couple of the girls. Also I have seen various local felines coming into the garden, looking around 'just in case' and their normal saunter is a trot across the place - watching a cat trying to convey superiority whilst jogging out of range is quite amusing...! Another time I heard the girls fussing, and went to see what it was - one cat was trying to sit peacefully in a warm patch on the patio, but then had got four girls shouting at him from several feet away - I am not sure if the expression was disdain or disgust, but he has not sat there again!
    Originally posted by vjm63

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• vjm63
    • By vjm63 15th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    vjm63
    For some reason I cannot figure how to do thanks (it has been a busy week!) but I liked that Pyxis! - Thanks
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    For some reason I cannot figure how to do thanks (it has been a busy week!) but I liked that Pyxis! - Thanks
    Originally posted by vjm63
    There was one of a hen chasing a cat, but I couldn't find it, so I thought the terror ducklings would have to do!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 24th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink
    Your cat and little duckling clip really made me laugh Pyxis. I think I saw the one with hens on some time ago but can't remember where.

All quiet here with my girls at the moment. The only thing different this year is that my lawn is in one piece for a change. We always let the hens and ducks down on to the lawn during the winter months but as they are all in the coop and have been for a while now my lawn has been left in peace. No need to reseed it this year now.

Haven't heard anymore further regarding the Bird Flu. It appears to have gone all quiet which is a good thing really I suppose.

How is everyone else getting on with their girls? All harmony in the camp despite being enclosed hopefully.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 24th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 34,243 Posts
    • 127,069 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I hope you're battening down the coops in readiness for the big freeze that's imminent!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 24th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    edwink
    I hope you're battening down the coops in readiness for the big freeze that's imminent!
    Thanks for that fab picture Pyxis.

It is a shame that they have to stay in their coop now we have this chilly weather. We have an out door stove which normally we would light for them when it is really cold or snow is on the ground. When alight it rapidly defrosts the snow around it and in no time at all the hens gather round to keep warm and stretch their wings taking in the heat. The stove weighs a blooming ton so can't move it in to their coop which is a shame. Mind you they wont be walking in the snow being in their covered coop so they and their tootsies won't get as cold, hopefully.

I'll try and dig out a photo I have of them huddled around the outdoor stove to post on here from a previous winter. Also have a couple of others I've been meaning to post too. One of my poorly indoor hen who was keeping warm fast a sleep leaning against the indoor stove and another of our speckled hen who loved to sit on my lap for some reason. She would just sit there for ages having her bib stroked whilst watching the wild birds in the garden. That little speckled hen was so very tame and loved strokes and cuddles. Those hens are no longer with us now, bless them!

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 24-02-2018 at 7:47 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter