Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,910Posts
    • 12,674Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 69
    • jim-jim
    • By jim-jim 28th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    jim-jim
    Morning chuckies, chicken maths how i can relate to that. One dies you get 2 to replzce that 1

when I had to have my chuck pts at the end of september, I thought that would be it for a while.
    How wrong was l. A rat got in the shed in a shed, we found the gaffer hen dead in the morning. And then 3 days before Christmas the last of my original chucks died in her sleep over night. I knew she was going, as I've now discovered they have a certain smell about them towards the end. That's it no more.......

Guess who's going to collect their very first lot of ex battery hens in January!! I've signed up for a minimum of 6 . If any one is interested you can have a look on their website
    tp://www.bhwt.org.uk

Happy New year to one and all
    Xxx
    • SisterAnna
    • By SisterAnna 28th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    SisterAnna
    "Chickens" are the ones you eat and "hens" lay eggs

Sorry couldn't resist
    Originally posted by edwink

Well I never knew that!

Happy New Year to everyone on here.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 28th Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Does anyone use the term pullet any more?

If so, what age range would one come into?

Also, can you get capons? I think I heard that caponisation was no longer permitted, but am not sure.
    I heard that capon meat is tastier than chicken, but wouldn't know, natch.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 28th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 11,104 Posts
    • 29,662 Thanks
    suki1964
    A pullet is a young hen , before they can lay

Caponising can be done yourself still. It!!!8217;s removing the testicles from a rooster which makes them more docile

Canonising was a way of controlling the amount of cockerels you had. I had three cockerels hatch last year so they ended up dispatched at 4 months before they had time to fully mature. They were edible with slow cooking.
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 28th Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    A pullet is a young hen , before they can lay

Caponising can be done yourself still. It’s removing the testicles from a rooster which makes them more docile

Canonising was a way of controlling the amount of cockerels you had. I had three cockerels hatch last year so they ended up dispatched at 4 months before they had time to fully mature. They were edible with slow cooking.
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Saintly cockerels?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. )

How is it done?
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 28th Dec 17, 7:05 PM
    • 11,104 Posts
    • 29,662 Thanks
    suki1964
    Google it

Basically removing the gonads makes for a more subtle meat at an older age

The chickens you buy in the supermarket are six weeks old if bred in the uk. That!!!8217;s why they are so flabby and tasteless My 4 month old Roos had drumsticks on them that would put a turkey to shame

Unfortunately because I chose egg laying breeds, very little meat and needs a slow cook, not fit for roasting but a capon you can
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 29th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Glad you managed to see the vet with your hen and that she will have an antibiotic injection. Just wondering why she is having her injection tomorrow?
    Originally posted by edwink
    I went to the mini local surgery branch which is closer, thinking it might be less stressful for her but they didn't have the AB needed there.

We're treating with Noroclav - broad spectrum pencillin based. She had an injection yesterday of 0.5ml and I've 4 more 0.5ml doses to give at home, one injection each day. The poor girl will not be keen on me by the end of the week! I'm taking a photo each day to see any differences. She seems happy in herself otherwise and the swelling looked a tiny bit better today, easy enough to give the injection too - much more so than catching her now!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 30th Dec 17, 12:20 AM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    I went to the mini local surgery branch which is closer, thinking it might be less stressful for her but they didn't have the AB needed there.

We're treating with Noroclav - broad spectrum pencillin based. She had an injection yesterday of 0.5ml and I've 4 more 0.5ml doses to give at home, one injection each day. The poor girl will not be keen on me by the end of the week! I'm taking a photo each day to see any differences. She seems happy in herself otherwise and the swelling looked a tiny bit better today, easy enough to give the injection too - much more so than catching her now!
    Originally posted by Beckyy

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed the injections do the job. Bless her. Good luck with catching her first

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 5 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 30th Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Tiglath has started a blog about her impending smallholding move/adventure.............

https://kentishadventure.com
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 30th Dec 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    Tiglath has started a blog about her impending smallholding move/adventure.............

https://kentishadventure.com
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Thank you so much for this info Pyxis

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 30th Dec 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    What is a reasonable number of chickens to start with? We're moving to a smallholding next month with an acre of land including 3 spacious chicken runs (and a pigrun). We're thinking 5 or so rescues in one of the runs - is that a good number to put together? I appreciate they'll be strangers to each other, and we're busy learning our chicken lore before we take that step, so we want to start small until we become more confident. We may put geese in the orchard as the current owner has 7 or 8 which seem perfectly happy in amongst the fruit trees. Anyone keep geese?
    Originally posted by Tiglath
    Hi Tiglath

Pyxis has kindly posted info of your new blog on this thread. Just wanted to wish you every success and good luck with your new adventure.

We live a semi self sufficient lifestyle at home. It is hard work at times but well worth it and very rewarding.

Enjoy yourself.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 31-12-2017 at 8:09 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    Porridge back on the menu for my girls here. Weather getting chilly, chilly again.

Got one little ex batt with a bit of a purple comb which is more than likely due to her circulation especially as we are going through the winter right now. Just need to keep an extra eye on her to make sure she is ok. Aww bless her. She is out and about with the others ok so am not too worried at this stage. Down to her age and her slowing down I expect.

How is everyone else getting on with their girls. All ok I hope. Don't forget porridge for your girls as it does help keep them warm in the cold weather.

All for now.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 5th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Hello all
    Happy New Year!
    The weather is definitely keeping my girls in, some days they don’t even venture out until gone 11am.
    Edwink, with regards porridge what do you give them? Is it rolled oats? Do you make it up for them or just raw?
    My three love sweetcorn, they’ve discovered chopped lettuce, and they go positively loopy for sunflower hearts and millet spray, I used to give them corn but they leave it now, clearly on a health kick for the new year!x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    Edwink, with regards porridge what do you give them? Is it rolled oats? Do you make it up for them or just raw?
    Originally posted by StarShapedPeg
    You can give any porridge to them loose just scattered about. I give my 8 hens plus Cockerel one small handful between them. Never give them too much when it is dry because obviously it does swell when they have eaten it.

You can also give it to them made with hot water. Just make up a small amount in a mug and add hot water and stir. Leave it until it cools a bit but still warm and they will love it.

HTH

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 05-01-2018 at 4:53 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    Beckyy
    How is your ex batt getting on edwink?

We haven't been having a good time the last couple of weeks. Our new girl with the swollen sinus gland had to be pts. The course of ABs didn't makemuch of a difference at all, the vet felt like we'd exhausted all options so it was the kindest thing to do.

I'm also losing the battle with scaly leg mite at the moment - by original girls are now very bothered with it, especially my old rescue who has a historic foot injury. I'm absolutely livid and have just ordered ivermectin spot on to treat them all - not what I wanted to have to do due to the chemicals, but feel like it's the only way I can treat them quickly before my old girl goes lame.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Jan 18, 5:17 AM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    One slightly confused hen...........

The chick does not look amused.

Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Another confused hen.

With confused kittens!
    They look like they don't dare move, lest they incur the wrath of the beak!

Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 8th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    How is your ex batt getting on edwink?

We haven't been having a good time the last couple of weeks. Our new girl with the swollen sinus gland had to be pts. The course of ABs didn't makemuch of a difference at all, the vet felt like we'd exhausted all options so it was the kindest thing to do.

I'm also losing the battle with scaly leg mite at the moment - by original girls are now very bothered with it, especially my old rescue who has a historic foot injury. I'm absolutely livid and have just ordered ivermectin spot on to treat them all - not what I wanted to have to do due to the chemicals, but feel like it's the only way I can treat them quickly before my old girl goes lame.
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    Hi Beckyy

Aww bless your little hen. To be honest we had the same here with one of our ex batts. Antibiotics didn't help her so in the end along with our vet chose what was best for her and had her PTS. We can all only do the best we can for them until there is nothing more we can do to help them. Antibiotics can and will help a hen get over a sinus problem so always worth seeing your vet. But, in your case and mine nothing more could be done.

You certainly have not had a lot of luck with your hens have you? Lets hope the Ivermectin does the job with the scaly leg mite and finally gets rid of it. We prefer not to use chemicals with our poultry the same as you. But, when you have exhausted all other options available you end up having no choice to help save your hens. Please keep us posted on here with what is happening.

Take care

Edwink

ETA. Sorry forgot to mention my girl that you asked about in your post. She is ok thank you for asking. Just plodding on and enjoying her retirement albeit with a slightly purple comb. Doesn't appear to be affecting her so just still keeping a close eye on her. x
    Last edited by edwink; 08-01-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added forgotten info.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink
    Awww Pyxis that puppy looks sooooo comfortable, cosy and warm and that hen is looking pretty happy with her efforts too.

I am sure those kittens are happy, cosy and comfy too otherwise knowing cats they would have legged it well before that picture was taken.

I saw some great pictures some time ago. Ill see if I can find them to post on here.

Thanks for posting yours. Always gives me a smile.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    edwink

Awwww bless!!

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter