We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thankyou EdWink.
    I did turf her out into their run, but mainly so I could poo pick. She did get a little harshness from one of the others, and tried running off scared. So I left her to it for that day and took her food and water in there.

Next day I kept the sliding door closed an opened the main side door, so 3 jumped out from there and she was mostly sitting in the doorway watching (but at least was getting some sunlight). She came down a few times, and rushed out when I gave them some corn late afternoon (which was mostly to see if I could entice her out), and she came and drank and ate. She's also done the same this morning.

They'll all be turfed out into the main garden later as I need to deep clean their run and their coop and I'm hoping with the increased space and shenanigans to get up to they'll leave her alone.

So with any luck, its improving. Not sure if the glorious hot weather we've had has made them a bit poor tempered and grouchy - I know it has me LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 June 2017 at 12:48AM
    Hi everyone

Sad news here because we lost one of our little rescue girls yesterday. She had been quiet for while which normally happens when they are on their last days. Bless her.:(

Most of my rescue girls are of the same age so I could lose a few of them this year :(. They normally live around 18 months to 2 years after rescue as a rule. The last lot we took in was in March 2016 and we still have some left that we took in the year before. We have only one purchased hen left now and she is coming up to 6 years old. We have both said next time we decide to get some more we will buy some and then after that have some more ex batt girls. Even after all these years we still find the loss of any of them really hard but as friends have said to us we must look back at the lovely free range life we have given them in their retirement. Still hard though. Just me being a big softie really.

How is everyone else been getting on and their girls and boys too? Lots of lovely eggs now the sun is shining? A few of mine are moulting so we are getting around 10 eggs a day from our hens and around 4 eggs a day from the 5 laying ducks. I just wish the ducks would lay their eggs in their hotel because it is like an Easter egg hunt here every day. Actually it is quite fun looking for them. We found 2 in between the two greenhouses yesterday. No idea how long they had been there. :o We often find one or two under a hedge we have at the top of our garden. Quite a lot actually are laid in our pond would you believe? When we cleaned it out last year we found 16 Aylesbury duck eggs at the bottom:eek: Have not cleaned out the pond yet this year because of my husbands accident to his arm/hand but he is now on the mend slowly so it will get done once he gets more movement in his hand. He is currently having intensive physio which is painful for him but it is helping him a lot. Bless him.

Catch up with you all soon

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh edwink - Im so sorry to hear of your loss.
    She had a wonderful life with you though and I'm sure her spirit will be ever thankful for the sunshine on her feathers and many days spent scratching in the dirt xx
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • edwink
    edited 8 June 2017 at 11:42AM
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Oh edwink - Im so sorry to hear of your loss. She had a wonderful life with you though and I'm sure her spirit will be ever thankful for the sunshine on her feathers and many days spent scratching in the dirt xx

Aww what a lovely thing to say, thank you for that. :T I'm really touched by that. Thank you again and have a (((HUG))) from me.

Weather not too good here today but at least the wind has died down. It has been so windy here so much so our Buddleia was blown down on to part of our growing potato bed. Was difficult cutting up the branches to get them off as I don't have a lot of strength in my back and my hubby is still recovering from his accident. But, we managed to clear it though thankfully. Now the only job we have to do is clear a big chunk of tree that came down from our neighbours narrowly missing our compost bins. Leaving that for another day as not it our way for the time being.

How is everyone else? What has been happening in your neck of the woods? Any new additions from anyone? Oh and don't mention eggs to me as we are having them eaten every day, not all of them but at least three or four. Trouble is it is difficult to know who it is because when we go to collect them the 2 hens are still in there munching on them. They shoot out as soon as they see us but we can't tell them apart from the others.:mad: I walk around the garden saying "and who's been eating my eggs" but none of them own up or mores to the point have no idea what I am going on about.:rotfl:

Take care all.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    We have red mite again. So not content with a fox getting most of the flock, the remaining 4 have been in an infested coop. The recent hot weather has led to an explosion of them. We have switched them to another coop and will aim to eradicate again. We have used the powder on the hens again too but it has been so rainy it won't have worked properly. Grrrrr, it never rains but it pours.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    edited 8 June 2017 at 9:57PM
    ali-t wrote: »
    We have red mite again. So not content with a fox getting most of the flock, the remaining 4 have been in an infested coop. The recent hot weather has led to an explosion of them. We have switched them to another coop and will aim to eradicate again. We have used the powder on the hens again too but it has been so rainy it won't have worked properly. Grrrrr, it never rains but it pours.

Aww Ali-t poor you not again! Especially after having the problem with the fox too. You are not having a very good time of it are you? I really do feel for you, honest I do.

We had blooming Red Mite several years ago and they were an absolute menace to get rid of. We powdered and scrubbed the place down but couldn't get rid of them. Glad you have spotted it because hens can become very weak with a Red Mite infestation if not found early. The blighters hide under the hens perches and come out at night and feed on the hens blood. Horrible little things they are and so tiny too you can hardly see them. Glad you had another coop to use instead.

Please let us know how you are getting on. Have a cyber (((HUG))) from all of us one here.

Edwink x
  • vjm63
    vjm63 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Lovely to catch up on all the news - and I just thought I would let you know the latest shenanigans with us.

A couple of months ago we bought a couple of new young pullets because we'd had a run of losses - one of the girls just dropped dead one morning, one must have found and swallowed a piece of glass somehow or something sharp because she ended up coughing up blood... so I was feeling somewhat unhappy and worried as you can imagine when one of the remaining three went all droopy, not eating or drinking, tail down... ! So I persuaded OH we needed more to keep the what I thought would be remaining two company. Then the poorly one got better! I'd also already booked four new pullets (which we picked up age 10 weeks yesterday) so I now have nine - happy me! :)

But my girls just are not letting me relax - they had a couple of months barely laying recently for no apparent reason, one has a seemingly permanent semi-bald bum (but now she is laying well) and now the one that was poorly a couple of months back is laying shell-less eggs maybe every three to five days - which then get eaten!

Tell you one thing- these girls are wonderful, but sure keep you o your toes and worrying - it is as bad if not worse than children!
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Thanks Edwink, we seem to have had a run of it lately but think it is all because we have got a bit lax. With the longer lighter nights and hot days they have spent less time in the coops so we didn't clean them out as frequently as they were barely in them. This in turn has meant the red mite has flourished so the big clean starts again this weekend. I am seriously thinking of binning the coop and buying a new one.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    vjm63 wrote: »
    A couple of months ago we bought a couple of new young pullets because we'd had a run of losses - one of the girls just dropped dead one morning, one must have found and swallowed a piece of glass somehow or something sharp because she ended up coughing up blood... so I was feeling somewhat unhappy and worried as you can imagine when one of the remaining three went all droopy, not eating or drinking, tail down... ! So I persuaded OH we needed more to keep the what I thought would be remaining two company. Then the poorly one got better! I'd also already booked four new pullets (which we picked up age 10 weeks yesterday) so I now have nine - happy me! :) But my girls just are not letting me relax - they had a couple of months barely laying recently for no apparent reason, one has a seemingly permanent semi-bald bum (but now she is laying well) and now the one that was poorly a couple of months back is laying shell-less eggs maybe every three to five days - which then get eaten!

You've not had a very good time of it lately either. OMG what's happening? that's both you and Ali-t lately not having a lot of luck and having an extra work load with your girls.

The not laying recently for you was it because they were going through their moult maybe. We get a lot of bald bottoms around that time plus baldy other bits too and a few soft shelled eggs which also get eaten.

When you have any empty egg shells bake them up in your oven for a while and when very dry take them out and crush them up to add to your girls feed. We mix our crushed shells in to our girls pellets before feeding them so all of them get some extra calcium when they eat. The extra calcium will help avoid getting the soft shells.

Hope your new girls are settling in ok. You may get a bit of fighting initially but it always settles over time.

Keep us posted on what is happening.

Edwink x
  • edwink
    edited 9 June 2017 at 5:23PM
    ali-t wrote: »
    Thanks Edwink, we seem to have had a run of it lately but think it is all because we have got a bit lax. With the longer lighter nights and hot days they have spent less time in the coops so we didn't clean them out as frequently as they were barely in them. This in turn has meant the red mite has flourished so the big clean starts again this weekend. I am seriously thinking of binning the coop and buying a new one.

Hi again ali-t

Hope your big clean is going ok for you. Not an easy job to do I know because we had to do it here with our Red Mite. Have to be honest and say we really struggled to get rid of the mite totally so got them a new recycled home to roost in at night and ended up burning the other one. To be honest though it was difficult for us to clean because the main door was so small my hubby struggled when cleaning it out. Our new one is so much better and has made life easier for us.

Don't beat yourself up about not cleaning them out so often because we do the same in the summer if we can. Especially because as you say they spend a lot less time in it because of the longer summer days. In the winter they are in it for hours so the mess definitely builds up more quickly then. All we do every day is clean the mess up from under their perches and add more shavings to their nesting box if needed and that's it until they actually need cleaning out thoroughly. We were cleaning them out weekly before the lighter evenings were here but not now.

If you are doing your deep clean today you probably have great weather for it. We have sun and blue sky here with only the odd cloud. Lots of sunbathing going on with my girls today. YAY!! I love seeing them flopped around the garden without a care in the world taking in the warmth. Bless them.:j
    Please let us know how you are getting on.

Edwink x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback