Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • libra10
    • By libra10 14th Aug 07, 8:41 PM
    • 10,758 Posts
    • 219,390 Thanks
    libra10
    • 14th Aug 07, 8:41 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 8:41 PM
    As a goodwill gesture Fernando should definitely offer to contribute towards Lewis's car maintenance. He should work out how much the bus journeys would have cost and pay at least half of the money he has saved.

Otherwise Martin should stop offering lifts to Fernando and let him catch the bus!
    • kiddy guy
    • By kiddy guy 14th Aug 07, 8:56 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    kiddy guy
    • 14th Aug 07, 8:56 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 8:56 PM
    If Fernando pays petrol money then no. If not then he should make a contribution as otherwise he'd have to pay for the bus irrespective...

I don't think I'd put myself in the position where I wasn't offering petrol money in the first place...He could offer the money retrospectively as petrol money on the basis that he does so on an ongoing basis - therefore if he needs 1000's of pounds of work in the future, he won't be liable...
    Last edited by kiddy guy; 14-08-2007 at 8:59 PM.
    • Lakeuk
    • By Lakeuk 14th Aug 07, 9:00 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Lakeuk
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:00 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:00 PM
    Lewis should pay the full amount on this occasion as it would have to be paid anyway if Lewis drove by him self, but going forward his should ask Fernando to pay half the petrol costs plus extra to contrubute to generally maintainance.
    • gemmaj
    • By gemmaj 14th Aug 07, 9:01 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    gemmaj
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:01 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:01 PM
    I agree Fernando should offer a small amount of money, but Lewis would be driving to work anyway so driving Fernando hasn't actually cost him extra. Also he presumably made the offer out of the kindness of his heart - he can't suddenly decide he wants money for something he has already done for free!

If it really bothered Lewis, he could agree to start charging in the future and see what price they can agree on. Then Fernando will have to choose, car or bus.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 14th Aug 07, 9:35 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:35 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:35 PM
    Fernando shouldnt contribute nothing!!! If Lewis has a problem with that then he should stop giving the man a lift!! Furthermore if I was Fernando I would buy an Oyster Card and get the bus.
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 14th Aug 07, 9:37 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:37 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:37 PM
    Lewis should pay up this time but make sure he has an amicable(!) agreement with his passenger re future costs - half the petrol or whatever he would have paid in bus fares seems reasonable.
  • SomaJ
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:40 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:40 PM
    I think that Lewis needs to leave the car at home and catch the bus in.

When asked why he is catching the bus, Lewis can reply: "I am saving money and the world by lowering my carbon footprint"

(and be a Money Saving Expert, one would have thought about this already?)
    Last edited by SomaJ; 14-08-2007 at 9:43 PM.
    • martint123
    • By martint123 14th Aug 07, 9:49 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    martint123
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:49 PM
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:49 PM
    I think Lewis should have the occasional car "breakdown" and not be able to give the !!!!!!!!!! a lift. It might encourage a contribution towards running expenses.
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 14th Aug 07, 10:45 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    If Fernando is paying petrol money then he shouldn't have to pay anything else coz that wasn't part of their agreement and it's unfair of Lewis to spring it on Fernando IMHO now - especially as he would be driving to work anyway. If he wants money to cover this then he should ask Fernando for more money on a weekly basis.

If Fernando is not paying petrol money then I still think it's unfair of Lewis to ask when he's seemingly been happy to do it for free (meaning he hasn't asked for any contribution before now). If he wants Fernando to contribute from now on then he should work out a fair amount he wants Fernando to pay bearing in mind that Fernando can decide to say "Stick your car I'm going back to using the bus" so he will get nothing anyway and still have to pay all his car running cost by himself...

If I was Fernando in this situation then I would say I can't afford to pay £150 in one go but I can give you some petrol money every week and then agree with Lewis how much he's happy with to accept. Even if Fernando is giving Lewis what it would cost him in bus fares or even slightly more he is "gaining" 1hr 20mins a day that would otherwise be spent on the bus.
    Last edited by Mics_chick; 14-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • anntics
    • By anntics 14th Aug 07, 10:53 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    anntics
    The maintenance costs for the car should be paid for by Lewis, it is his car and he would have to pay these costs whether he gave Fernando a lift or not.

However, Fernando should contribute a reasonable amount to the petrol on a regular basis as a thankyou to Lewis, as it saves him a long and presumably less convenient bus journey.
    Cheers

Ann
    • ken_1969
    • By ken_1969 14th Aug 07, 10:54 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ken_1969
    It's not made clear whether or not Fernando is paying for petrol - if he is then he is paying his fare.
    If not, I agree he certainly should pay a contribution to petrol as a set amount, but this must be agreed up front.
    Otherwise, Lewis is being unfair by on the one hand offering something free, but then demanding payment later.
    On the other side, by taking on a car Lewis is taking responsibility for the running costs and must expect to pay them all. If Lewis doesn't want the hassle / cost of running a car maybe he should be consider getting the bus himself?
    • traceya89
    • By traceya89 14th Aug 07, 10:58 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 8,903 Thanks
    traceya89
    Fernando should offer something towards petrol on a weekly basis as getting a lift saves him waiting in the cold for unreliable buses. having said that if he does not have a car he probably thinks the car runs on air and water, cos some of my non-driving friends do! I never go shopping/out with a certain friend of mine who lives quite out of my way as she expects me to be her personal taxi service so i never get into a situation now where she expects a lift home!
    • bobbybee2
    • By bobbybee2 14th Aug 07, 11:15 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bobbybee2
    Giving Fernando a lift
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for Lewis if Fernando is like my work colleagues. I find it hard enough getting 1 out of them for a 15 mile journey that takes me an additional 15 mins out of my way. If I asked them to pay towards maintenance they'd laugh in my face.

I think Lewis should charge petrol costs, but set them slightly higher than 50% to put something towards the maintenance of the car, however he shouldn't ask directly for the money for the maintenance as if he comes to sell the car I'm sure he's not going to give fernando the money back for the parts he's payed towards.
    • heppy23
    • By heppy23 14th Aug 07, 11:17 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    heppy23
    I wouldn't ask for money. A lift is a lift. I used to sometimes give a colleague a lift to work if we were on the same shift and she would sometimes give me a lift.
    Another senior colleague would often get a lift to work but would let me go early if it was quiet!

In another job I had a colleague that would ask for lifts a lot and it meant me going out my way a bit. I often had to rush off places after work and couldn't help!

There are insurance implications of taking money for carrying a passenger.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 15th Aug 07, 12:06 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    Cars have maintenance requirements so whether Fernando was there or not then Lewis would still have to pay for the maintenance. So he can't ask for this.

The orignal question didn't state whether Fernado gave Lewis petrol money, gifts instead of petrol money or helped him in any other way. If he does then everything is fair if he doesn't then Lewis should stop giving him lifts.

• jeffk
    Fernando isn't obligated to pay, but you'd think he should offer something towards the running costs considering the time he's saving (Not to mention the fares). If he doesn't, he best be buying a yearly bus pass....and Lewis should have had the common sense to discuss payment in advance if he was expecting it.
    - Jeff K -
  • Aud910
    I agreed in advance to give a work colleague a llift to work if he gave me a weekly donation i.e 5 towards petrol costs. This went on for over a year and I only received 5 about twice during that time - I was always promised that I would get it on pay day but then it never happened. In the end I had to say that I was no longer giving them a lift to work so he went and bought a car. Now all he does is complain about the costs of running it!! If an agreement is already in place and Fernando is not adhering to it then Lewis needs to act by stopping the lifts. If no agreement exists then they have to sort one out which is agreeable by both parties - it's alright saying that Lewis is going there anyway but Fernando is saving money and time by getting a lift. If Fernando doesn't want to pay anything then Lewis should stop giving him a lift.
    • Marisan
    • By Marisan 15th Aug 07, 6:43 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Marisan
    I don't think Fernando is obliged to pay up for maintenance costs on someone else's vehicle,but he certainly should be offering petrol money.Cars cost a lot of money to run,and apart from the saving on bus fare there is also the saving on time and not having to hang about at bus stops in bad weather.
    I used to give a work mate a lift home every day as I was 'going that way' but she never offered any money and I didn't like to ask.I had to literally drive past her street to my house so I did feel obliged,but also a tad resentful at being taken for granted.
    .Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Little Miss Road Rage
    I think if Fernando pays towards fuel then thats ok if he doesn't he should be. I don't think he should pay towards the maintainence costs tho.

I used to give my college mates a lift and they always left me 50p in the ashtray. It helped when I filled up (only cost me £6 to fill up then).

I also gave a mate a lift to Kent when we went to college. I would pick her up from a garage near her home and drop he at her accommodation. Then pick her up and drive her to her front door. She always paid half the fuel which was normally about £20 but it saved her the train journey, underground, another train journey and a taxi and worked out cheaper.

I never expected anyone to pay maintainence costs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter