Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 9:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 9:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 9:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Page 22
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I believe people are more likely to complain of a bad service than give a good review of a decent service.
    Originally posted by wild666
    Without a doubt.

If the external infrastructure is fine and proven then the only variables would be the set-up at the exchange end and the router, I think you should be fine.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 21st Sep 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Mister G
    I moved from PlusNet to Origin fibre about two years ago now. Initially it was an 18 month pay up front deal, which meant no price increases at all in the contract period.

When it came up for renewal six months ago, I renewed again for a further 18 months paid up front as I was very happy with the service.

Where I am, they use the Vodafone backbone network which has been 100% reliable and has the added bonus of a static IP.

I have found their online billing to be accurate and easy to understand, which is more than I can say about PlusNet!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 27th Sep 18, 12:35 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Origin Broadband compares favourably on monthly price but the problem is the router. What you get included is an Asus 802.11n router. That's fine for regular broadband. But if you want fibre and a router with gigabit ports and 802.11ac which compares for example with the Plusnet Hub One which Plusnet provide for free and comparable to the free routers you get from for example Sky, BT, Talk Talk etc you'll have to stump up an extra 124.99 at the outset. That makes the monthly cost over the whole 18 months contract 30.94. There are much better deals out there!

I checked up on Origin Broadband and immediately started my mile run away from them!
    • wild666
    • By wild666 27th Sep 18, 12:57 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    wild666
    I was going to stump up the 124.99 but left it at the standard router then got an Amazon Warehouse Asus AC3100 DSL AC88U for 170 then all I have to do if I change supplier is change some details on the router.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 27th Sep 18, 1:54 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Mister G
    Origin Broadband compares favourably on monthly price but the problem is the router. What you get included is an Asus 802.11n router. That's fine for regular broadband. But if you want fibre and a router with gigabit ports and 802.11ac which compares for example with the Plusnet Hub One which Plusnet provide for free and comparable to the free routers you get from for example Sky, BT, Talk Talk etc you'll have to stump up an extra 124.99 at the outset. That makes the monthly cost over the whole 18 months contract 30.94. There are much better deals out there!

I checked up on Origin Broadband and immediately started my mile run away from them!
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    I have found that the supplied Asus DSL-N17U is perfectly adequate for my needs (and I suspect most other people's needs as well). I have no need of gigabit ports for my simple home network. Plain old Cat5 does everything I need.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 28th Sep 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I have found that the supplied Asus DSL-N17U is perfectly adequate for my needs (and I suspect most other people's needs as well). I have no need of gigabit ports for my simple home network. Plain old Cat5 does everything I need.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    So therefore looking at fibre 35mbps we pay for example 3 more than Vodafone or for example 1p more than Plusnet and get a much inferior router without gigabit ports or ac wireless. Sorry, doesn't work for me.

But as you say the Origin Broadband basic router is great for wired basic broadband ethernet but for everything else it sucks big time. Personally, I cannot understand why Origin gets such great reviews with such a basic router!
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 28th Sep 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Mister G
    I still have my old Plusnet Hub One. What difference will I notice if I use this instead of the Asus?

Oh, and paying the charge in one go means it's only 1 month dearer than Vodafone for me.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 29th Sep 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I still have my old Plusnet Hub One. What difference will I notice if I use this instead of the Asus?

Oh, and paying the charge in one go means it's only 1 month dearer than Vodafone for me.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    If you're on regular broadband and a wired ethernet none whatsoever. The 10/100 ethernet connection on the default Origin Broadband router will work well.

I think we've possibly got our wires crossed here: If you have a fibre connection and you want to keep up to speed you'll need the router upgrade which is 129.99 up front. That calculated over the 18 month contract will be 7.22p per month extra (129.99 divided by 18) not 1 per month extra.
    • john.stanley90
    • By john.stanley90 29th Sep 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john.stanley90
    Hi guys,

I would just like to say STAY AWAY FROM ORIGIN BROADBAND.

They are without doubt the worst provider I have ever experienced. It is unbelievable how bad they are. I had the same problem for over a year (intermittent internet, slow speeds despite paying for fibre and drop outs). All they ever do is put you off, keep you on hold for over an hour, and when you do get through the customer service agents are rude and incompetent.

Honestly, there is a reason they are the cheapest. I am not the only one either - take a look on their trustpilot. it is full of people with exactly the same complaints I have.

I actually also have strong reason to believe many of the 5 star reviews they have are fake.

Anyway, any company with a 2 star average out of almost 2000 reviews you should be weary of.

STAY AWAY.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 29th Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Mister G
    If you're on regular broadband and a wired ethernet none whatsoever. The 10/100 ethernet connection on the default Origin Broadband router will work well.

I think we've possibly got our wires crossed here: If you have a fibre connection and you want to keep up to speed you'll need the router upgrade which is 129.99 up front. That calculated over the 18 month contract will be 7.22p per month extra (129.99 divided by 18) not 1 per month extra.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    I do have FTTC, but due to the line length from the cabinet I only get a max of 20Mb. Still a lot better than my sub 2Mb ADSL speed! On that basis, not sure why I'd need a 129.99 router.

The comparison I was making on cost was between the Vodafone charge of 22/month for new customers (no phone contract) and what I pay Origin of 23/month.
    • linerental
    • By linerental 5th Nov 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    linerental
    AVOID Origin Broadband
    poorest service in the UK. poor customer service on phone and email. broadband speed from 3.5mbps to max 7.8mbps for download and 0.01 mbps to 0.79mbps for upload on ADSL. The speed stays same whetherits midnight or weekend or weekday, just poor service. Price is same as of talk talk, plus net or EE so better avoid Origin. at the end of contract you pay for another 1 month as you have to give them notice and then return the crappy router..which I am putting in recycling bin as I don't want another customer to suffer with poor Origin hardware. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID this poorest broadband. I am now with Plusnet and I have constant 13mbps download and 1.09 mbps upload in Greater London area.
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 16th Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    JenniferK
    Origin Broadband - Trustpilot
    Just looking at the Origin Broadband Reviews on Trustpilot. So for this year there has been 194 reviews of Origin Broadband. Of these Origin Broadband have flagged 75 for removal. Smacks of review manipulation. Can Trustpilot be trusted?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Apr 19, 9:11 AM
    • 21,736 Posts
    • 23,652 Thanks
    zx81
    I don't think anyone's trusted TrustPilot for years...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

447Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin