Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • myxbox
    • By myxbox 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 20Thanks
    myxbox
    Origin Broadband - any good
    • 2nd Jul 15, 10:48 AM
    Origin Broadband - any good 2nd Jul 15 at 10:48 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Origin is included in our Cheap Broadband guide where we currently say feedback is mixed (as at March 2017). Take a look at our research: Origin Broadband

Back to the original post...

-----

Hi there , am thinking of moving to Origin Broadband , firstly for adsl then fibre

my exchange is a 21CN , market 1 BTW only

how do others find the service and support .

Given what the say here "Origin operates one of the largest networks in the UK, this means we have more than enough capacity so we never need to throttle your connection, limit you or slow you down"

Has any one ever suffered slow speeds with them

many thanks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Page 21
    • Origin-Broadband
      Verified User verified user
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 12th Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

If you have any outstanding issues, please could you email us on forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • RedbullRJ
    • By RedbullRJ 21st Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RedbullRJ
    FYI Origin's website and portal are currently down and they are "hoping to have this resolved early January"
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 21st Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    FYI Origin's website and portal are currently down and they are "hoping to have this resolved early January"
    Originally posted by RedbullRJ
    Thanks for confirming that as both website and portal have been offline and unavailable for at least a week already. It all started with the several attempts it took them to provide correct bills last month and has never been right since. I was beginning to wonder if my computer was faulty/corrupted following the latest Windows update.

Extremely amateur for a so called internet communications company who, from my personal experience, provide the slowest and most unstable broadband connections in the country and their separate monthly bills and call lists really do look like something a child of 12 designed on their first day at big school!

They even had the cheek to send a letter and email asking if I'd like to renew. I'll leave you to guess what I'll be doing.
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 21st Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

If you would like me to take a look into any issues you're having accessing certain services, please could you email us on forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 21st Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there,

If you have any outstanding issues you would like help with, just drop us an email via forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 21st Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Hi there,

If you have any outstanding issues you would like help with, just drop us an email via forum@origin-broadband.co.uk with your full name, address and postcode .

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    Originally posted by Origin-Broadband
    Your repeated automated responses to posts from Origin Broadband customers are extremely unhelpful.

You need to post relevant information for your customers and to provide an explanation as to why your connection speeds are so slow when compared to all other broadband providers and the reason why your broadband connections drop out so frequently.

Your website and customer portal not working for a considrable period of time is a major issue for all your customers and does require an explanation.

Most companies would take the time and trouble to put up a simple 'emergency' website landing page containing brief information. As it stands you've rashly chosen to take your website offline and just left it to time out. Rightly or wrongly most existing customers and any potential new customers may possibly assume that you've ceased trading.

Until you grasp and understand the basics of what providing customer service means and what is expected of a company representative on this forum it really is pointless wasting our time.
    • Origin-Broadband
    • By Origin-Broadband Verified User verified user 22nd Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Origin-Broadband
    Hi there.

I can assure you these are not automated responses. The reason we direct people to this email address is:

1. To provide a point of contact for customer queries.
    2. To provide a secure online platform in which personal information can be shared to aid the resolution of said queries outside of a public forum.

We have not closed our website or taken any steps to do so, which is why we are encouraging any customer that experiences an issue similar to the one you are referring to (or indeed any issues) to contact us via this email address so that we can look into it.

If you have a query, just send us an email via that address and we would be more than happy to help. However, as I'm sure you can understand, we cannot discuss private information on a public forum.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 22nd Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 740 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Mister G
    I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but my customer portal at Origin seems to be working ok, including accurate billing information.

Also, my service has been far more stable since I joined Origin in August 2016. Prior to that, I had frequent drop outs with both PlusNet FTTC and Virgin National ADSL.
    • youravinalarrrf
    • By youravinalarrrf 31st Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    youravinalarrrf
    Originally posted by RedbullRJ
    Just to update this. Despite the Origin Broadband representative's comments it turned out that Origin Broadband were fully aware of this issue and it was finally fixed on 28th December.

For the benefit of other MSE members please be aware that Origin Broadband have now been removed from both TopCashback and Quidco websites due to non-payment of cashback claims legitimately earned by and owed to customers.

FAO Origin Broadband Representative

Please be aware that if payment of all outstanding cashback claims with both TopCashback and Quidco is not made within the next 7 days I intend to start legal proceedings against you via the Small Claims Court.

I am sure you will be aware that this will ultimately end up costing your company far more than the cashback you owe.

Don't you think your company's reputation is already bad enough?
    • Saeed
    • By Saeed 18th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Saeed
    I've just gone back to my online account and found out that they have billed me for a "partial month". I have emailed and will see what happens.

Funnily when I called up to tell them I wanted to leave, no one at Origin mentioned that Origin have sneakily billed me extra so I have effectively paid until the end of the month so I may as well stay until then. So if I leave on the completion of my 12 months, origin have got upto an extra £10 or more for the "partial" month they don't tell you about.
    Last edited by Saeed; 23-07-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    • Supa
    • By Supa 26th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Supa
    Origin Broadband pulled the wool over my eyes too. You failed us MSE: 'partial monthly' billing
    I have come close to the end of my contract (which I signed up for through a link on MSE) and have only just now noticed that I've fallen foul of this 'partial month' billing, having paid an extra £36.04 for 24 days in addition to the 12 months I paid for up-front. While I'm glad to hear they no longer do this to customers I am extremely disappointed in both Moneysavingsexpert for not highlighting this particular term and Origin BB.

I look to MSE for the best deals and choose the cheapest and take chances on new/lesser known companies but feel I will be less inclined to do so for any small company after this experience, let alone how I now regard Origin BB who have shown they are not to be trusted.

I trusted MSE to check all the terms for strange things like this when I am browsing their site, before presenting it as a good deal or cheaper than other packages. I thought I could trust their expertise but feel I was wrong about this and I ended up paying far more than the next cheapest package.

Regarding Origin BB aside from the whole 'partial month' debacle, they made several errors in billing which I had to spend time sorting out, they took around a month to actually get the service running live leaving me without a service, and the actual service was absolutely terrible with many cut outs every few weeks and much lower speeds than my previous ISP despite being on the same Openreach network, speeds regularly dropped to around 1MBPs or even less.

I then requested to have my service cancelled at the end of my contract and despite assuring me the cancellation would be carried out and receiving email confirmation, today I received a bill for the month after my contract date charging me in advance at the standard rate (most expensive tariff which is used for out of contract).

Luckily when I called up they agreed to cancel this extra month which I cancelled. But despite all this, when I asked if they could discount me something or give me anything as a show of good will on account of everything, they said they couldn't do anything.

Terrible BB service, terrible customer service, extremely deceptive. Shame on MSE for promoting them and not pointing the 'partial month' clause out. Here are just 2 other customers that have suffered the same fate as me due to MSE promoting them:

'I've just gone back to my online account and found out that they have billed me for a "partial month". I have emailed and will see what happens.

Funnily when I called up to tell them I wanted to leave, no one at Origin mentioned that Origin have sneakily billed me extra so I have effectively paid until the end of the month so I may as well stay until then. So if I leave on the completion of my 12 months, origin have got upto an extra £10 or more for the "partial" month they don't tell you about.'

'Partial month billing:
    I have received an unexpected bill, via email, from Origin to pay for broadband from the date on which I started receiving service (10-07-2017) to the end of July. Thus I have a query concerning partial month billing for customers like me, who paid in advance for 12 months line rental + broadband. Having searched Origin's web site, I quickly found a KnowledgeBase item which makes this quite clear:
    “
    Discounted Broadband

All of our broadband packages come with discounted premiums for a certain period, be that six or twelve months. In order to ensure you get the full benefit of our offers, we only apply the credits to complete months, meaning you may have to pay for the partial month between going live and your first full month.

For example - if your Origin Broadband package went live on November 10th, then your first discounted month would be December. We would take a partial payment for November 10th !!!8211; 30th, and your 12-month discount would expire on November 30th the following year.
    ”

For one of the MSE mods; it'd be helpful to build in Origin's answers to 1/ and 3/ into MSE's analysis of Origin.'
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <I trusted MSE to check all the terms for strange things like this when I am browsing their site, before presenting it as a good deal or cheaper than other packages. I thought I could trust their expertise but feel I was wrong about this and I ended up paying far more than the next cheapest package.>>

What expertise they certainly are not going to go down the route of checking every term and condition .Reading every faq and guide trawling the internet for reviews .Especially as its a free service .
    You see an offer on MSE then its up to you to check it out .
    • Supa
    • By Supa 27th Jul 18, 12:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Supa
    Did you read their terms and conditions? To get the advertised price you would have had to have been lucky enough for them to start your service on the 1st of any given month, otherwise you were paying a lot extra. That's not just a minor difference.

When the customer service guy was explaining why I was paying extra, even then I didn't understand what he was saying (I have schizophrenia which effects my concentration) and I certainly hope your elderly relative or someone vulnerable you might know never has to be deceived by such deceptive terms.

And I never said anything about reviews, your comment isn't helpful. Obviously ultimately the onus is on the customer to check but not all of us are as able to do so without some help. I've learnt a lesson from this, I really did think MSE were more reliable than 'hey check out this great deal': 'Oh yeah most of you guys who signed up payed way more but you should have studied the terms and conditions, oh well'
    • radiantx
    • By radiantx 9th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    radiantx
    Origin broadband
    I have been with Origin broadband for about an year. I joined it as they were offering a good deal and were not part of a huge company. MSE recommendation was also a factor.
    However the range of the Router called ASUS is limited. Got no access near my living room TV in a 3 bedroom flat. The Wi-fi signal waxes & vanes and often disappears.. so it is quite frustrating. I am now looking for a better provider. Hope you have better experience with them if you plan to take them.
    Last edited by radiantx; 09-08-2018 at 1:56 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    • Saeed
    • By Saeed 9th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Saeed
    Have written to Origin - no reply received!!!
    Hi there.

I can assure you these are not automated responses. The reason we direct people to this email address is:

1. To provide a point of contact for customer queries.
    2. To provide a secure online platform in which personal information can be shared to aid the resolution of said queries outside of a public forum.

We have not closed our website or taken any steps to do so, which is why we are encouraging any customer that experiences an issue similar to the one you are referring to (or indeed any issues) to contact us via this email address so that we can look into it.

If you have a query, just send us an email via that address and we would be more than happy to help. However, as I'm sure you can understand, we cannot discuss private information on a public forum.

Kind regards,

Origin Broadband
    Originally posted by Origin-Broadband
    I emailed Origin BB with the email address you quote regarding partial month billing which should not have happened but after almost 2 weeks I have not received a reply from Origin!!! What is the point of you being here and/or tell us to email Origin BB??
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 17th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 14,765 Posts
    • 80,095 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I have finished my initial 12 months contract and decided to leave Origin. They have sent me an email saying they will charge me £208 if I leave. There is no explanation in the email, no reply when I call, and no response to email.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Saeed
    • By Saeed 24th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Saeed
    I have finished my initial 12 months contract and decided to leave Origin. They have sent me an email saying they will charge me £208 if I leave. There is no explanation in the email, no reply when I call, and no response to email.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    What no reply on their 03xx number at all. I phoned up the other day and they picked up the phone pretty quickly and I got an answer to my (relatively) simple question.

However, I am still waiting for a reply from them to my email about partial month AND the Origin rep here hasn't replied to me either!
    • RedbullRJ
    • By RedbullRJ 18th Sep 18, 1:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RedbullRJ
    I am finally free! Origin has been a nightmare for me. After paying up front for a year, I got the part month bill that others have got in my second month, what a strange way to do business. My speed was 20% slower than my previous supplier and regularly dropped out, this is obvious to me as I listen to radio on the internet. (Now I've switched again I am back to seamless listening).

Leaving them was a massive saga, which I won't go into here in full, just to say I am so pleased I cancelled my direct debit, as they tried to bill me for another year even though I had carefully jumped through all the required hoops in good time. If you are with them, just make sure you keep all emails, Facebook transcripts, and make note of times, dates and details of any calls (if you can get though) and send your router back via a very reliable "signed for" courier (sent mine RM special delivery) In my experience the customers services and billing is either just terribly managed or has not been fixed for other reasons, you decide.
    Last edited by RedbullRJ; 18-09-2018 at 1:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 18th Sep 18, 2:12 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Mister G
    Just to balance things up, I've been with Origin for two years now.

I went for their initial 18 month pay up front package back in 2016. I then renewed this again back in March for a further 18 months.

I must admit that I've not had to contact them, as there has been no reason to. The billing has been accurate and the FTTC connection as fast as it can be for our line length (20Mb). It has also been extremely reliable, with no loss of service or slowing down over the whole two year period.

In my case, the backbone is provided by Vodafone and has a fixed IP address, which comes in very useful.

Perhaps I've just been lucky?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,143Posts Today

7,811Users online

Martin's Twitter