Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mazz1953
    • By mazz1953 14th Aug 07, 9:06 AM
    • 181Posts
    • 232Thanks
    mazz1953
    Car boot sale advice - updated 2013
    • 14th Aug 07, 9:06 AM
    Car boot sale advice - updated 2013 14th Aug 07 at 9:06 AM
    For what it's worth, here is my advice for the car boot sales, based on my years of experience.

My advice to sellers.

I have been going to car boot sales since they started and I think the best ones are on from April to September. I have done quite a few car boots myself and from experience I would like to offer the following general advice to sellers.

Find out the weather forecast beforehand. The BBC website can give the local forecast a few days ahead.

Try and previously visit a car boot sale as a browser, this will give you ideas about prices etc and what the atmosphere is like.

Take a packed meal, as you will probably get hungry later and there the food vans are quite expensive.

It is a good idea to have everything priced previously, forget about what the experts say on the TV programmes. If the stuff is not priced some people assume that it is quite expensive and pass on.

Be aware that when you first pull in and start to unpack the car, buyers will rush you , they will try rummaging in your boxes and some will try to get in the back of the car, looking for bargains. This is usually referred to as getting mugged . This can be quite intimidating and you can get items damaged or stolen in the process, so try not to do the boot sale alone.

Do take reasonable offers on items, but don't be bullied into give things away for a song.

If you have any small items such as jewellery, display them where they can easily be watched. I have seen very respectable looking people steal off a stall, while the seller was serving another buyer.

If you are selling items that come in pairs such as shoes, display only one and keep the other in the car, otherwise you might find these getting stolen while your attention is elsewhere.

Let the buyers browse in peace, while keeping a discreet eye on them. Do not pounce on people and try the hard sell as soon as they pick up an item, it will only put them off. If they are interested they will approach you with any offers, queries etc.

Take plenty of change in a bum bag, I used to take around 30 including 2x5 notes. If someone gives a large note for a low priced item usually 1 or under, do not give them all your change, instead offer to put the item aside for a short while, till they obtain change, if they do not return by the allotted time, redisplay the item.

Take plenty of carrier bags and newspapers to wrap-up fragile items.

Do bear in mind, that you may have to queue for the toilets (and some of these can be really gross), so ease up on the liquids.

Wear comfortable shoes, I wear a pair of trainers, Hush Puppies or Skips.

Have a smile, be polite and thank the buyers, no matter how little they spend.

Finally, it is a good idea to have had your dinner pre-cooked as you will probably be so shattered when you arrive home, that you just want the sofa or an armchair and not move for the next few hours.

Above all, happy selling !!!

My advice to buyers.

Try to get to the car boot sale as early as you can, because that is when the best bargains are available. Take a leaf from the dealers books, they get there when the car boot opens. Some boot sales charge extra (usually about 1 per person) for early buyers, but I think it is worth paying this to get the best bargains.

Wear a comfortable pair of shoes, I wear a pair of trainers, Hush Puppies or Skips.

Try not to have too much liquids beforehand, or you might be find yourself queuing for the toilets and these are generally gross.

Take plenty of small change with you, otherwise you might miss out on a bargain because of this. At a boot sale, I was able to get a really nice Royal Doulton china tea set for 3, because the potential buyer who picked it first, only had a 20 note and the stall holder was not willing to put the item aside.

Take a large holdall or shopping bag or even a shopping trolley for your bargains, otherwise you end up with lots of carrier bags and you can easily forget to pick them up at the stalls you visit.

Do not carry large handbags or purses with you. Leave all the credit cards, bank cards etc at home. Thieves and pickpockets target car boot sales. When I go to buy at the boot sales, I carry a small long-handled bag with my AA card, car keys etc, which I sling across my body. I then put my bum-bag with the change around my waist.

If you buy a bulky or heavy item take it to the car right away. If this is not possible, ask the stall holder to keep it for collection later, but do remember to collect it. Make a note of the car, the aisle position and align this to an object a tree or the burger van, otherwise at a large boot sale, you might not easily find the stall again. Do not rely on remembering what the seller looks like as he or she may have temporary left the stall and someone else is in charge.

If you buy any videos, cds or DVD, do check that the original disc is in the case. A couple of times I have got home only to discover that discs were missing or wrong.

If you plan to spend a long time at the boot sale, eat something before arriving or bring sandwiches with you as you are probably going to get hungry later and the food there can be quite expensive and unhealthy.

When you eventually arrive home, just make yourself a tea, coffee or whatever else you fancy (better still if someone else does so), sit in a nice comfortable armchair and relax and recover for the next few hours, while sorting out your bargains.

Happy bargain hunting!!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by mazz1953; 22-05-2008 at 8:53 AM. Reason: To add more advice
Page 40
  • triumph120
    Cancelled today but
    I phoned the boot sale last night and was told its ON rephoned this morning about 6.15 am and was assured it is ON today. After an hours drive there the board was put out cancelling the boot sale. Seems this is a very ureliable boot sale. They said its on an hour later its not.. Great so how does one ever know when its on or cancelled by the time that u get there....... Roll on next years Lazy Bones boot sales they r reliable seems boreham chelmsfords boot sales are not...
    • idbridge
    • By idbridge 4th Nov 14, 11:04 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    idbridge
    car boot sale
    I live in Basingstoke, can anyone recommend a good winter car boot sale on a sunday morning, don't mind how early. For selling
    Used to do one at Newbury Racecourse, which was busy from 8am-12, but now closed for building work.
    Happy to travel for a decent one
  • triumph120
    Any hard standing bootys near chelmsford
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Nov 14, 3:23 PM
    • 60,840 Posts
    • 43,408 Thanks
    soolin
    Any hard standing bootys near chelmsford
    Originally posted by triumph120
    Try asking on your local facebook groups or checking the local papers for up to date information.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • traymd63
    • By traymd63 28th Sep 15, 7:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    traymd63
    I'm thinking of selling sweet cones at car boots. .....is this allowed???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a beginner
    Tia
    • Zinger549
    • By Zinger549 29th Sep 15, 9:50 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    Zinger549
    I've seen quite a few people do it but it will depend on the site rules. I assume your going to pop down to costco/makro and buy in bulk.
    addict
    Come on you Irons
    • richter
    • By richter 13th Mar 16, 9:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richter
    carboot sales around crawley
    if your live near crawley (gatwick) you might have heard about the pease pottage carboot sale, which is the biggest around for sure. unfortunately, as if you are not there when it opens (6am) you've got no chance to buy anything nice. and because it's that big, it is more like a mall on field...

so if you are around, pop in to rusper (starts 11am sundays) which is a lovely little one (at least compare to the pp one), a real 'old school' carboot sale - as i imagine
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 60,840 Posts
    • 43,408 Thanks
    soolin
    I thought I'd just bump this as I know some people do like a good car boot as another selling opportunity.

I didn't do any last year as I had amiserable time in 2016, rain, cold and no buyers - ended up with car loads of donations to the charity shops. However on a local forum I read people are raving about various car boots yesterday saying they took more in one day than they did for 2016 and saying buyers were out in force.

Anyone else started car booting yet, and have they noticed any increase in buyers?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,554Users online

Martin's Twitter