Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foofi22
    • By foofi22 22nd Jun 15, 4:56 PM
    • 1,972Posts
    • 1,294Thanks
    foofi22
    myreading.net
    • 22nd Jun 15, 4:56 PM
    myreading.net 22nd Jun 15 at 4:56 PM
    Hi

I've received a voicemail message asking me to submit my electricity meter reading via phone or online.

The instructions also said I had to include my postcode and house number.

For an online reading the address given was "myreading.net"

Is this legitimate?!

I'm currently with Co-op Energy (smart move there!) however I can apparently submit readings online anyway...

Thanks
Page 1
    • victor2
    • By victor2 22nd Jun 15, 5:07 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    victor2
    • 22nd Jun 15, 5:07 PM
    • 22nd Jun 15, 5:07 PM
    I had a card through the door some months back asking for the same. Assumed a meter reader had been round and missed me. Ignored it anyway as I was giving readings online. Think a meter reader did eventually come round when I was in. Even though you can give readings online, a meter reader is still supposed to visit the premises at least once every two years I believe.
    I assumed it was legitimate, but didn't feel like putting my details into another website...
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 22nd Jun 15, 6:08 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 22nd Jun 15, 6:08 PM
    • 22nd Jun 15, 6:08 PM
    Hi

I've received a voicemail message asking me to submit my electricity meter reading via phone or online.

The instructions also said I had to include my postcode and house number.

For an online reading the address given was "myreading.net"

Is this legitimate?!

I'm currently with Co-op Energy (smart move there!) however I can apparently submit readings online anyway...

Thanks
    Originally posted by foofi22
    If in doubt, call your supplier and ask
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Jun 15, 6:30 PM
    • 5,909 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 22nd Jun 15, 6:30 PM
    • 22nd Jun 15, 6:30 PM
    LowriBeck. It does seem somewhat bizarre for a meter reader to leave a card asking for a customer read that most customers are providing already on a regular basis. Presumably, it is proof that a meter reader did actually visit the property.
    • foofi22
    • By foofi22 22nd Jun 15, 7:18 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    foofi22
    • 22nd Jun 15, 7:18 PM
    • 22nd Jun 15, 7:18 PM
    If in doubt, call your supplier and ask
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Logical suggestion, however Co-ops recent service levels may suggest otherwise!

ps there was no card through the door, just a voicemail message. Also, electric meter has been checked within the last year.
    • sacsquacco
    • By sacsquacco 23rd Jun 15, 6:50 AM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    sacsquacco
    • 23rd Jun 15, 6:50 AM
    • 23rd Jun 15, 6:50 AM
    LowriBeck. It does seem somewhat bizarre for a meter reader to leave a card asking for a customer read that most customers are providing already on a regular basis. Presumably, it is proof that a meter reader did actually visit the property.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Bizarre is it ? two fiddlers caught only yesterday, one whos had free gas for over 2 years, two more so suspicious in their ridiculous refusal excuse its blindingly obvious they re on free energy.Pity its useless EDF as supplier who refuse to act in implementing their Revenue Protection duties...so we carry on paying for this because EDF won t spend on RPU. Only BG will implement proper RPU so that is the reason energy theft will always continue on an upward spiral. Greedy suppliers and a backward Regulator who won t stop these suppliers putting the balance sheet first.
    • Vicarious
    • By Vicarious 30th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Vicarious
    • 30th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    Hi,

Googled the thread as just been called and asked to leave my meter readings on myreading.net

I'm with IRESA Limited and it never happened to me in the past, I always give them my meter readings online and was working fine.

Anyone had similar experience ?
    • H4w35side
    • By H4w35side 17th May 17, 1:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    H4w35side
    • 17th May 17, 1:10 PM
    myreading.net
    • 17th May 17, 1:10 PM
    Just confirmed with my supplier ExtraEnergy is that this request for additional readings is NOT ligitimate. It seems that the link to the legitimate meter reading company Lowri Beck, is diverted to a .eu address and not.co.uk as it should be. I will not be submitting my readings to myreading.net. Hope that helps.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 17th May 17, 1:17 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 17th May 17, 1:17 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:17 PM
    Just confirmed with my supplier ExtraEnergy is that this request for additional readings is NOT ligitimate. It seems that the link to the legitimate meter reading company Lowri Beck, is diverted to a .eu address and not.co.uk as it should be. I will not be submitting my readings to myreading.net. Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by H4w35side
    Why didn't you simply provide the meter redaings directly to your supplier when you were in contact with them?

The Lowri Beck website is here
    https://www.lowribeck.co.uk/

If clicking on 'My Reading' on their website takes you to a .eu address, then something would appear wrong with your computer.
    Last edited by footyguy; 17-05-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    • rocketlauncher
    • By rocketlauncher 28th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rocketlauncher
    myreading.net
    I have had 2 voicemail messages asking me to leave reading s on this website ,. I have ignored them as only a week ago did an on line reading. I haven't checked the website .. My worry is that with the reading they can transfer me elsewhere and no doubt pick up commission for the introduction?
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 29th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Hi,

Googled the thread as just been called and asked to leave my meter readings on myreading.net

I'm with IRESA Limited and it never happened to me in the past, I always give them my meter readings online and was working fine.

Anyone had similar experience ?
    Originally posted by Vicarious
    I've been with Iresa all year, like you I always submit directly via their own site, in fact Iresa send a monthly request to their customers to do just that, so you were right to be suspicious.

Why didn't you simply provide the meter redaings directly to your supplier when you were in contact with them?

The Lowri Beck website is here
    https://www.lowribeck.co.uk/

If clicking on 'My Reading' on their website takes you to a .eu address, then something would appear wrong with your computer.
    Who says they didn't? H4w35side simply stated that they'd confirmed with their own supplier that the request didn't come from them. Just as 'someone' suggested earlier in this very thread.

They also acknowledge that Lowri Beck is a legitimate company, but the link they have doesn't lead to their site. I can't comment further on that without knowing the exact link H4w35side used.
    myreading.net itself does appear to be a legitimate site. looking at the source all off-site links appear to point only to lowribeck.com or thawte.com (the certificate signing authority).

May be something mistyped, you could be right that there's malware causing a redirect, or it could be a scammer has set up a similar site. Would be interesting to find out which.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 29th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    badmemory
    What I thought when a meter reading service rang & asked me to give them my meter readings .........

I give my supplier readings online on the same day every month. Therefore the only reason for a service to want those readings is proof that what I have given are correct. Fair enough! But ringing & asking for them is going to prove absolutely nothing whatsoever. But I suspect is going to be used to convince my supplier that they did actually see my meters. An outright lie! I won't be giving them my readings again. If they want them they can come & read the meter.
    • jjm234
    • By jjm234 2nd Dec 17, 12:18 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjm234
    Glad I checked online. What a farce! Got called on a Friday evening and asked for meter readings. I had a laugh and said how many people do you expect to be at home now and I'd check when I got home.
    Looks like another new strain of time wasting parasites.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Glad I checked online. What a farce! Got called on a Friday evening and asked for meter readings. I had a laugh and said how many people do you expect to be at home now and I'd check when I got home.
    Looks like another new strain of time wasting parasites.
    Originally posted by jjm234
    Meter readers = time wasting parasites ???

Ok

Good luck!
    • cranford
    • By cranford 2nd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cranford
    Lowribeck meter readers probably have targets to meet to earn bonuses and I suspect any online My readings entries are added to their quotas. In my case the My Readings web site did not have the facility to enter economy 7 two readings but the reader came back 2 days later on the very day I normally enter reading to Avro anyway.
    • YoungNick
    • By YoungNick 8th Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    YoungNick
    Lowri Beck have left us a message asking us to give them meter readings. They suggest we call their rip-off 0845 number. Illegally, they do not warn about the "service" and "access" charges for calling this rip-off number. Alternatively they ask us to log in to myreading.net. I will not respond to either suggestion.
    I do not believe that a meter reader has actually called, because our gas meter is external, and no-one has left a card. As posters above point out, Lowri Beck's antics add nothing to the readings I regularly give direct to our supplier (Bristol Energy). I have complained to Bristol Energy. Obviously, I do accept that Bristol Energy are entitled (or even required?) to check my meter readings occasionally.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 12th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    Ian011
    Lowri Beck have left us a message asking us to give them meter readings. They suggest we call their rip-off 0845 number. Illegally, they do not warn about the "service" and "access" charges for calling this rip-off number.
    Originally posted by YoungNick
    It's illegal to even offer a premium rate 084, 087 or 09 number for this type of contact.

Complain to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    It's illegal to even offer a premium rate 084, 087 or 09 number for this type of contact.

Complain to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    0845 numbers are not classed as premium rate.

Calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers are included as part of your FREE calls within your BT calling plan
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 12th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    Ian011
    0845 numbers are not classed as premium rate.
    All 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers are premium rate. Call charges consist of an Access Charge set by and paid to the benefit of the caller's landline or mobile provider and an additional Service Charge set by and paid to the benefit of the called party and their telecoms provider. The premium is the additional Service Charge.

Consumer protection regulations have banned the use of 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers for most purposes.

PSA regulates only a subset of those numbers, referred to as Controlled Premium Rate Services. These are numbers where the Service Charge element of the call charge is more than 7p per call or per minute.

Calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers are included as part of your FREE calls within your BT calling plan.
    The rangeholder of any 084, 087 or 09 number benefits from Service Charge revenue paid by callers when the number is called. Most calls are made from non-BT landlines or from mobile phones. The caller pays an Access Charge to their phone provider and the Service Charge which is passed on.

BT is the largest supplier of 0845 and 0870 numbers to businesses and therefore benefits from the Service Charge revenue generated when numbers they administer are called from another landline provider or from a mobile phone. More than 80% of calls come from other providers.

BT includes calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers in certain call plans for BT retail customers Only a small number of calls made to those numbers are to numbers provided by other providers. This means that BT mostly earns from Service Charges, but only rarely has to pay out to other providers.

This manipulation allows BT to snare more businesses into using these numbers by saying they are "free [sic] to call from BT landlines". The splitting of these call charges into Access and Service elements clearly reveals this manipulation for what it is.

BT is a minor provider of other 084 and 087 numbers (which are, of course subject to the same Service Charge arrangements) and does not include these in allowance.
    Last edited by Ian011; 15-12-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,427Users online

Martin's Twitter