Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How much do you spend on face wipes per year?

£0

54.32% • 44 votes

£0-2

3.70% • 3 votes

£2-5

11.11% • 9 votes

£5+

30.86% • 25 votes

You may not vote on this poll

81 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 16th Jun 15, 2:17 PM
    • 9,052Posts
    • 21,860Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Reusable face wipes: Do you use them?
    • 16th Jun 15, 2:17 PM
    Reusable face wipes: Do you use them? 16th Jun 15 at 2:17 PM
    Update September 2017

We started this discussion a couple of years ago but the topic's always relevant.

If you're interested in more ways to save money with re-usable products read our Recycle Week Hub.

Join in!

Back to the original post...

----

7-13 September is #ZeroWasteWeek. We're working with several organisations to highlight how much you could save by re-using and recycling. See the full Zero Waste Week info.

We'd love to know how much you spend on household items and whether you'd save by using re-usable versions. This discussion's all about face wipes. How much do you spend on them and how much could you save by using re-usable or home-made ones instead?

What to do:

Step 1: Use our Demotivator to work out how much you spend on face wipes PER YEAR!
    Step 2: Vote in the poll to tell us how much you spend on them.
    Step 3: Work out how much you'd save by using re-usables instead
    Step 4: Post in the forum thread below to tell us how much you think you'd save per year.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 10,075 Posts
    • 62,933 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    You are meant to use flannels once on your face and then your body and then chuck them in the wash and you certainly aren't meant to share them or use them on your face after you have used them elsewhere.

(Btw I am trained beauty therapist).

Another very good thing to use is a facial cleansing sponge. Again great for gentle daily exfoliation. A pack of two is £1. I cut them in half. You can use them for around a month if you keep clean them with soapy water after each use and pop them in a sterilising solution every couple of days.

But if you can wash aldis wipes and then wear them out for general cleaning then that's great.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 17-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 17th Apr 17, 12:25 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    ibizafan
    A flannel and hot water does it for me, but then I was born in the era when everyone used them.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 19th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 9,052 Posts
    • 21,860 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Fantastic to see this discussion's still going after a couple of years, perfect for #recycleweek next week!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ~Gabriel
    • By ~Gabriel 19th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    ~Gabriel
    As pointed out, a re-useable wipe for washing with is a flannel

I have disposable wipes for my hands and my botty when I'm out and about, but no, they're not re-useable!!
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 19th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    I got a couple of packs of Johnson's Baby Wipes for a quid each recently and have been using them to cleanse my face. I haven't found them drying at all, which is great. I'd never heard of bamboo face cloths before so thank you for the tip, aintshesweet, I've just ordered one from eBay.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 23rd Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    I use mircofibre face towels. I think I have about 10 of them and they are white so I chuck them in the wash with my white sheets every week. I fold them up nicely and sit them on top of the side of the shower so I can't forget to take one in with me.

Emergency Fund $5,100 / $10,000
    Renovation Fund $100 / $1,500
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 11th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 10,275 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    I've been using Muslin Cloths to cleanser my face and remove Facial make up for years. Although I still use cotton wool pads for my eye makeup remover. Currently looking for a replacement for cotton wool pads, don't want to use muslin cloths on my eyes as think these will be too rough.
    • kacie
    • By kacie 12th Jan 18, 7:23 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    kacie
    I've made my own cotton rounds and use those or a muslin cloth.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 23rd Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    It would simply not occur to me to even bother to wash my face if I had to bother with flannels and creams and potions. I have enough problems even remembering to brush my teeth!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 24th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 16,084 Posts
    • 12,166 Thanks
    hollydays
    I use hot cloth cleanser and substitute babies muslin cloths that I buy from charity shops. my skin has never looked better since I used liz Earle
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 26th Mar 18, 4:12 AM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 11,644 Thanks
    jenniewb
    It would simply not occur to me to even bother to wash my face if I had to bother with flannels and creams and potions. I have enough problems even remembering to brush my teeth!
    Originally posted by halogen
    Well, each to their own, but I know if I didn't wash my face it would show and I'd feel unclean, I don't think my skin would let me forget!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 26th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 11,644 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I use mircofibre face towels. I think I have about 10 of them and they are white so I chuck them in the wash with my white sheets every week. I fold them up nicely and sit them on top of the side of the shower so I can't forget to take one in with me.
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak

I also use these- I used to either use my hands (previously cleaned I will add!) or if I was using a crème cleanser I'd use a muslin cloth, but the microfiber types are much softer and I don't feel I'm doing more harm than good, they are also great at getting rid of all my eye make up which I just couldn't do with muslin cloths as they were too scratchy- even the softest types I found.
    I get my microfiber cloths from Primark who have either one for £1.50 or a pack of three for £2.50. They was very well on a normal wash, they are not the same as the types you can buy for household cleaning so don't think you can just recycle your Tesco/Pound shop versions, the facial versions have longer fibers and do work better IMO than the cotton muslin types or cotton flannels.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 27th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    Well, each to their own, but I know if I didn't wash my face it would show and I'd feel unclean, I don't think my skin would let me forget!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    It does if I'm in the city but alas my skin does let me forget up here in the sticks. That's why I use wipes because I can keep them by the bed and if i have forgotten before I go to bed I just reach over and grab one.
    I will point out I never wear make up and my face does get washed with water in the shower as well.
    • jooboo
    • By jooboo 3rd May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jooboo
    Soap
    I have bought some Dove soap it cost £2 something a bar. This is to replace my face wash, face wipes, and shower cream. It comes in a cardboard box so a lot of plastic saved. I hope I like it, it should save me money too. Does anyone else use soap? If so any recommendations on which ones best?
    • Triggercat
    • By Triggercat 4th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Triggercat
    I like either Simple soap or Dove bar, but I find using them on my face x2 daily, everyday, is too drying, so I alternate with face wash. I also like the loccitane soaps when I can get them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin