Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 6
    • evuka
    • By evuka 23rd Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    evuka
    My ways around the R's
    Great to see this thread is still live!

A couple of things I do around lessening my waste and re-use or recycle:

I use washable pantyliners and sanitary pads (the same ones since 2012! I ordered them from the US but if I ever need new set, I'll try to find a local maker)

Never used kitchen rolls, we've never been "rich" enough to afford them so I still use rags/microfibre clothes in my home.

Changed tissues to hankies - best decision for my nose and my purse! (Still have some cottonball stocked up but once it's gone, I'll start using washable textiles to wipe my face - have two cotton T-shirts from charity shops that I wore for years, will cut them up and make little squares.)

Water bottle at work and I take my own cutlery and napkin with me. Travel mug.

Safety razor + epilator instead of disposable ones.

Freecycling / charity shops / second-hand purchases (furniture and electrical items, too).

Saving veg peels and chicken carcass/bones in the freezer and once have enough, I make a stock from them.

I buy cat food by the tin (as opposed to pouches and in P0und£and because they sell individual tins so I don't even have the plastic wrapping) and recycle them.

I use jars from pastes, sauces, coffee, etc to stock staples in my kitchen.

I use the library.
    SwagBucks
    Make £10 a day challenge need to join again
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    GC: Jan 175.07/100
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018 £823.65/£8,965.88
    NSD: Jan 5/15 Feb 7/15
    • Catastrophia
    • By Catastrophia 28th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Catastrophia
    We've recently signed up to Who Gives a Crap for our toilet roll and paper towels. We have 5 permanent residents in the household so we go through tp quickly which is expensive and wasteful due to the plastic wrapping.

We discovered Who Gives a Crap who deliver entirely recycled toilet paper to your door, with no wasted plastic packaging, plus 50% of their profits go to help build toilets in less fortunate countries.

So far we've saved over £50 by subscribing to their delivery service, and reduced our environmental impact in the process!
    • Pagan Princess
    • By Pagan Princess 3rd Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pagan Princess
    So glad to read that I'm not the only one that repairs her knickers......
    • Pagan Princess
    • By Pagan Princess 4th Apr 18, 12:11 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pagan Princess
    1) Use soap nuts for your weekly wash and to make washing up liquid out of......really cheap 'nuts' on ebay........
    2) Sell all unwanted stuff on ebay
    3) If you use Ace stain remover - you will save money and get a better result if you put it in a spray bottle.....you use a lot less and get a better coverage.
    4) Dare I say it - reuse your tea bags - you can make 2 cups from 1 teabag.
    5) Switch to alternative 'milk' and make your own - home made almond milk is easy to make.
    6) Empty the contents of your hoover bag in the compost bin.....
    7) Take the Vegan Challenge - veggies are cheaper than meat and you don't have any nasty 'sunday roast' dishes to wash
    8) Charity shops are brilliant for balls of wool to make small items or granny blankets.
    7) old t-shirts cut up make great floor cloths and I have a pile in the garage for checking the oil
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 4th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    River.Bee
    Living in a student house, I'm constantly digging through our shared bin and pulling out recyclable things that my flatmates can't be bothered to put in the recycling bin

I also surprised myself that I thought to cut off some of my tops' coat hanger ties and to use them as bookmarks for my (many) spiralled notepads. I was going to buy some ribbon until I thought of the idea, so I saved some pennies

I used a big Thornton's delivery box from Christmas to use as a temporary and recyclable emergency stray/ feral cat shelter during the recent 'beast from the east' cold snap. It worked very well (this area I live in is a bit dodgy, I feel so sorry for all the cats around here I couldn't just do nothing )
    27/3/2017 - The Beginning of the End
    Credit Card Total Debt: £3462 £2130
    Pledge to clear at least half before uni graduation: July 2019

£1332 paid - 38%
    • Rubik
    • By Rubik 25th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Rubik
    Great thread - sorry I'm a little late to the party.

We've taken a serious look recently at the horrendous amount of single use plastics we were using each week. So - we've swapped:

single porridge pots for home-made ones using an old butter tub (it gets washed each day then reused, and the oats and skimmed milk powder costs just a few pence per day)
    Take our own tubs to the deli counters for ham, cheese etc rather than having them wrapped in plastic
    A complete ban on anything that comes in or with black plastic
    Started having doorstep milk deliveries in glass bottles -while the cost of milk is more expensive, in the long run it will save us money. We make on average 10 trips per month to the local shop to buy additional milk - and each trip costs us an average of £12 (because we buy stuff we don't need like chocolate and other such treats!)

At home, I've extended the life of many clothes; if they have holes I will crochet a patch to cover the hole with, replace tired old buttons with new to give an item a fresh look, added beading or fringing to a tired t-shirt to give a little sparkle, etc - I now look a bit oddly dressed, but hey individualism is awesome I've been known to mend knickers and bras on occasion too.
    Last edited by Rubik; 25-04-2018 at 2:35 PM.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 29th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 38,794 Thanks
    Katiehound
    What? Doesn't everyone repair their knickers??
    I have indoor pairs (or stay at home ones) and going out ones!! It really annoys me when the channel at the top for elastic falls apart......that's not allowed.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2280 cc+.2205mm (£2.20.5) + RK £5.21= £30.25.5
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 17th May 18, 5:29 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Great thread!

I've made a lot of changes over the last year, I'd already been using reusable carrier bags and proper dishcloths instead of j-cloths for years, and recycling what I could, but in the last year I've:
    Stopped using kitchen rolls, I use old cloths or tea towels
    Almost entirely cut out cling film and foil - I use old plastic take away pots or food savers to store food in, or the good old plate over the top of a container, and where I used to cook food wrapped in foil, I find a pyrex bowl over it (or even nothing ) does just as well
    I take our lunch into work in plastic boxes, no food bags or clingfilm
    I carry a water bottle around with me
    I've switched to a Eurocrubby instead of disposable scourers
    I've stopped using cotton wool and cleanser and I use a facecloth and (bar) soap = stopped buying liquid handwash
    I use a bar shampoo (haven't found a good bar conditioner yet)
    I've switched to hankies
    I make my own oat milk and humous and eat a mainly plant based diet
    I'm composting (still struggling with this but determined to get it right!) and aiming not to renew my garden waste bin and save nearly £60 a year
    I'm buying clothes (and whatever else I can) from charity shops
    I took cuttings of my pelargoniums and overwintered them on the spare bedroom windowsill to save money and pastic pots buying new ones in the spring
    I'm going to buy an Eco egg for washing clothes - I'm generally not automatically putting things in the wash after wearing them but checking if they really need washing
    It is just me doing this not my OH, he still uses tissues, eats a lot of meat, buys junk food and fizzy drinks etc, etc, but our waste has cut down massively, we get our landfill bin and recycling bin emptied on alternate weeks and they both used to be full but now I often only put them out once a month - this still means that we are filling 2 big wheelie bins a month though, which is huge. My mum only used to have one of the little metal dustbins for a family of 5! I'm working on reducing it, and a big part of it was the mindset that filling the recycling bin is NOT good for the environment (and I think a good proportion og it ends up not being recycled anyway), better not to create the waste at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,789Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin