Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    18 year old housing benefits/other benefits?
    • #1
    • 12th Aug 07, 2:06 AM
    18 year old housing benefits/other benefits? 12th Aug 07 at 2:06 AM
    I hope this is in the right place.
    I'm 18 years old and for reasons I'd rather not go into I think it's time to leave home. I get DLA (133 a month, lowest) and Incapacity (about 150 a month?). I don't get that though, it goes to my mum's account to help pay for food and stuff. But now I need to get away and I was wondering what I can get?
    I suffer from really bad anxiety and depression so working is not really an option. I have a couple of qualifications but I don't think that matters.
    Ideally I'd want a one bedroom flat, but I really couldn't live in a shared accommodation.
    I know that as I'm 18 that's all I could hope for, and that I won't get any money towards electricity or anything, which means I'll be monetarily crippled or living in the dark.
    I could get a job if needs be, I don't know what, but to survive if I had to, maybe? I don't know, it'd be horrid, but maybe part-time I could stomach it.

    But anyway.
    Services round here are quite rubbish and appointment waiting lists are at about a month and I need some advice now.
    Is there any way I could get a small flat with all the essentials and money to cover electricity and everything despite my age?
    I have no friends to turn to and I can't stay where I am.
    Any suggestions or if anyone's been in this situation, that'd be great. I know it's far from ideal.

    Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • stazi
    • By stazi 12th Aug 07, 2:41 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Aug 07, 2:41 AM
    • #2
    • 12th Aug 07, 2:41 AM
    If the IB is your benefit, then it should be going to you-not your mother. When/if you do move out, tell Jobcentreplus (JCP) about your change of address, and to make sure your IB goes into your account. For a short time you could ask to be paid by cheque if need be.
    For more info on benefits see the attached-
    You will be able to apply for both Housing Benefit (to help pay your rent), and Council Tax Benefit - both from your local council.
    To help with your finances, you could also (if you are able- and if you do get IB-NOT Income Support), apply to JCP to do some PERMITTED WORK (PW).
    You could do PW and earn up to 86pw for a max of 52 weeks and still keep your IB. You should fill out form PW1 from JCP.
    If possible, I would advise you to see your GP or an advice worker, who may be able to help you find a flat/safe accomodation.
    Don't forget,you may need to post a bond to a landlord- this could be 100-500- but under new rules this bond should be protected.
  • Scarlett1
    • #3
    • 12th Aug 07, 9:58 AM
    • #3
    • 12th Aug 07, 9:58 AM
    lottiexcore you wont get much housing benefit for your age, probably only enough to pay for a room, you can rent a flat but you will probably have a big shortfull at the end of the month, your bills are your responsibility and there is no help towards them, would you consider a room in a shared house as it would be your own space ? Your money should be going to you direct not your mum, change that immediately and give your mum a token amount for housekeeping, good luck
  • viktory
    • #4
    • 12th Aug 07, 12:53 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Aug 07, 12:53 PM
    Just to give you an idea of how expensive living alone is - my daughter recently moved into her first one bed flat. The rent is 700 pm, her deposit was 800, plus one months rent in advance. Then there was 150 for a credit reference check. Her CT is approx 80 pm and other bills are about 200 pm. Food is another 200pm. As the flat was unfurnished, she also needed to buy a bed, sofa, kitchen equipment etc. These are London prices.

    If you are that determined to move out I would suggest you either reconsider a room share (these are generally about 80 per week, bills included) or get a job and start saving. Anxiety and depression can be overcome, with the right help from your GP and some effort from yourself.

    It's an expensive world out there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

455Posts Today

4,479Users online

Martin's Twitter