Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 7,547Posts
    • 12,046Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    MSE Insert:

We've seen some debate on this thread about the relevance of some posts to the topic.

To ensure the thread remains on topic for forumites wanting to discuss the latest news we're asking that all posts contain a link to the news you're discussing.

For the purposes of this thread the "news" needs to be within the last two weeks.

Back to Martyn1981's original post.

---

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 70
    • gefnew
    • By gefnew 23rd Jul 18, 7:45 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    gefnew
    Hi All
    UK wind power to double.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44926442
    regards
    gefnew
    • michaels
    • By michaels 23rd Jul 18, 11:14 PM
    • 21,397 Posts
    • 99,199 Thanks
    michaels
    Hi All
    UK wind power to double.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44926442
    regards
    gefnew
    Originally posted by gefnew
    What a lack of ambition, isn't it more likely to happen by 2025, especially if storage costs fall there is likely to be no need for price garantees.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 24th Jul 18, 7:00 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    What a lack of ambition, isn't it more likely to happen by 2025, especially if storage costs fall there is likely to be no need for price garantees.
    Originally posted by michaels
    The roll out will be constrained by the CfD auctions as the developers need guarantees on the value of generation and also the guaranteed market.

Plus, remember that the 'cheap' prices are in today's auctions, but not for delivery today. The £75/MWh contracts are for 2022 delivery, and the £57/MWh contracts for 2023. So expect the next auctions to be for delivery some time around 2025+.

The large time difference reflects the long build out times for off-shore wind as the work is enormous, but also justifies the lower leccy prices as these build in the cost reductions that the industry expects as the technology improves and the larger WT's to be installed reflecting the higher capacity factors that these monsters can achieve.

Other auctions in Europe for shallower water schemes nearer the shore have already reached net subsidy free prices. The contracts are still needed though as a fall back to guarantee a price so that the developers can raise the capital to build the schemes.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 24th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    NigeWick
    A bit for you ev owners on the beeb.
    Originally posted by gefnew
    I was part of a smart charger trial but binned that when I could get a charger that would syphon off my surplus solar to the car battery. Since it was fitted in April I've done about 1,000 miles on "free" electricity. This benefit means my solar system will have paid for itself sooner than I originally thought.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 24th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    pinnks
    And looking at the Zappi website this week it suggests that it qualifies for the government grant in the same way as many other chargers, so virtually free by the looks of things - not that that helps me at the moment as still running a relatively new diesel! Yeah, I know, public enemy number one now but saviour of the world when I bought it!!!
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 25th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    NigeWick
    And looking at the Zappi website this week it suggests that it qualifies for the government grant in the same way as many other chargers,
    Originally posted by pinnks
    Yep, it does.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 26th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    And looking at the Zappi website this week it suggests that it qualifies for the government grant in the same way as many other chargers, so virtually free by the looks of things -
    Originally posted by pinnks
    Yep, it does.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    Was installation covered by the grant too?
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers. Inst Aug 2015.
    REUK Diverter, Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump, Kia Soul EV & 100% Green Electric Tariff.
    • Coastalwatch
    • By Coastalwatch 26th Jul 18, 6:54 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Coastalwatch
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer

Our Zappi was installed ahead of schedule today. The government grant covers upto 75% of the cost or £500 max. The unit itself just about gobbles most of that up. I've still to receive the final bill but according to the quotation we shall need to contribute around £300 for it's installation. We could have had another unit installed for free due to the purchase of a Nissan Leaf. Unfortunately the latter couldn't differentiate between Solar and power from the grid, hence our decision to go with a Zappi. Hope this helps!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 27th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    No. And, you only get the grant once, unless you can prove you have more than on EV.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 28th Jul 18, 8:00 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Couple of international stories:

Japan's famous (infamous?) power company is looking to shift towards more renewables:

Turning Its Back On Nuclear, TEPCO Plans 7 Gigawatts Of Renewable Energy

The Tokyo Electric Power Company, better known as TEPCO, announced this week that it intends to pursue the development of up to 6 to 7 gigawatts (GW) worth of renewable energy worth tens of billions of dollars in a move away from its traditional reliance on nuclear energy.

Speaking to Nikkei this week, TEPCO’s president Tomoaki Kobayakawa announced his company will look to develop6 to 7 GW of renewable energy across Japan and overseas in a move expected to yield 100 billion yen ($8.98 billion) in profit.

This surprised me, very, very cheap wind contracts for Saudi's first auction:

Saudi Arabia’s 1st Wind Farm Receives Strikingly Low Bid Prices

Solar won’t be Saudi Arabia’s only renewable energy play, however, as this week the country’s Renewable Energy Project Development Office (REPDO) and the Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources (MEIM) announced that they had received four bids of between $21.30/MWh and $33.86/MWh for the 400MW Dumat al-Jandal project.
    For context, our nuclear deal for HPC is about $160/MWh.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Just remembered, that I'd forgotten ...... ?

To mention some liquid air energy storage (LAES) news.

Highview have now built a larger test plant to prove their technology, this one is 5MW and 15MWh.

The next step would be a 50MW/200MWh plant, and they've even suggested in the past that they could build 200MW/1,200MWh storage.

This technology at around 60-75% efficiency would be used for longer term storage than batteries and pumped hydro, and if used to mop up very cheap excess RE generation could complete the circle for RE + storage. Efficiencies can be even higher if partnered with a source of waste heat, or waste cold.

Some news items:

Highview Power Completes UK Plant to Test ‘Liquid Air’ Storage Technology

Highview Power has successfully designed and built the world's first grid-scale liquid air energy storage (LAES) plant in the UK.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Interesting article, as we have a lifelong nuclear advocate claiming that the industry is not economically competitive.

Ex-IEA official: Nuclear power can’t compete with solar power

Nuclear power is "ridiculously expensive" compared with solar power and cannot compete from a financial standpoint, said the former head of the International Energy Agency.

During a lecture at a symposium in Tokyo on July 23, Nobuo Tanaka, former IEA executive director, said nuclear power is utterly "uncompetitive" with solar power generation in terms of costs for building or expanding nuclear plants.
    “Building a new nuclear power plant is ridiculously expensive as it will cost more than 1 trillion yen ($8.98 billion) to install just one nuclear power reactor,” said Tanaka. “It’s utterly uncompetitive.”

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Didn't see this one coming. US off-shore wind at 6.5c/kWh* that's around £50/MWh, so cheaper than our latest auction (for 2023) at £57.50/MWh (2012 baseline) and £64/MWh today.

It might be that the US WT's are near shore, or perhaps the prices don't include infrastructure build out, or maybe costs are just getting lower and lower.

* "expect to provide power and renewable energy credits for 6.5 cents a kilowatt-hour" - I'm assuming that means 6.5c/kWh and not an after subsidy figure as I don't know quite what it means, nor the US subsidy scheme structure(s).

US offshore wind farm offers customers $1.4bn in savings

Edit - Bit more on the scheme and costs in this article, excellent news, and augurs well for the future and the UK hitting subsidy free off-shore wind prices, which could literally rewrite the energy rule book for us, as we have 10-100 times the potential generation that we'll ever need even if transport and space heating went over to leccy!

First Big US Offshore Wind Farm Scores Record-Low Price
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 02-08-2018 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Added an edit

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I'm always fearful of conspiracy theory rabbit holes, but I have to say that this sounds ....... dodgy?

Buried UK government report finds fracking increases air pollution

A UK government report concluding that shale gas extraction increases air pollution was left unpublished for three years and only released four days after ministers approved fracking in Lancashire, it has emerged.

The report, written by the government!!!8217;s Air Quality Expert Group (AQEG), was given to ministers in 2015, but was published quietly on 27 July [2018]. Fracking firm Cuadrilla was given the first permit under a new regulatory regime on 24 July, the final day of the parliamentary year.
    Sometimes I wonder "what's the point?" Then I think, RE is winning, RE is cheaper, RE is a much better long term bet, and I stop banging my head against the wall.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Maybe praying does work?

5,500 UK churches switch to renewable energy

• Coastalwatch
    • By Coastalwatch 3rd Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Coastalwatch
    Originally posted by Martyn1981

Amen to that!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 3rd Aug 18, 9:57 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    NigeWick
    RE is winning, RE is cheaper, RE is a much better long term bet,
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    I don't think RE is winning yet as HMGov are still pushing FF and Nuclear down our throats.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I don't think RE is winning yet as HMGov are still pushing FF and Nuclear down our throats.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    Very good point. RE is winning the economic and public PR arguments, but one or two (or many more) politicians aren't ready to look and listen .... yet!

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 6th Aug 18, 6:58 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I read the opening paragraph of this article, then went back as I suddenly realised how important that statement was:

More than 70% of Australians want the government to set a high renewable energy target to put downward pressure on power prices, according to a new poll.
    'They' want RE, because it lowers prices ....... are we there yet?

Most Australians want more renewables to help lower power prices – poll

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 6th Aug 18, 1:19 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Wind and PV installs around the world have now exceeded 1TW of capacity. Not sure that means a lot as I can't really picture it. But what I thought was far more interesting is that 2TW of capacity is expected to be reached by 2023 (just 4-5yrs) with the second TW costing 46% less than the first.

Are we there yet? I think we are close. Certainly well passed the point of failure or Genie's going back in bottles.

Also worth considering that a halving in costs doesn't mean a halving in subsidies, it'll be a lot, lot more than that, as the subsidy top ups are the first part of the price/cost to be negated by the falling prices. For instance UK off-shore wind prices have fallen from around £160/MWh to £65/MWh. With a guesstimate of wholesale prices at £50/MWh (2020-2030's) the subsidy will have fallen from around £110/MWh to £15/MWh (86% drop). Wow.

World now has 1 TW of wind and solar capacity, 2 TW expected in 2023

The 1,013 GW of currently installed capacity is almost equally divided between wind and solar, with 54% coming from wind parks and solar accounting for 46%. According to the market analyst’s data, the capital expenditure (capex) for constructing these plants totalled USD 2.3 trillion (EUR 1.99tr), while the next 1 TW of capacity will cost 46% less. Wind and solar deployment between 2018 and 2022 is expected to require only USD 1.23 trillion of capex.

Global wind and solar capacity smashes 1,000 gigawatt barrier

Mr Cheung also drew attention to the importance of storage as this growth continues.

“As we get into the second and third terrawatts, energy storage is going to become much more important,’’ Cheung said. ``That’s where we see a lot of investment and innovation right now.”

So far, investment in battery storage has helped the cost of lithium-ion batteries fall by 80 percent since 2010.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

506Posts Today

5,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin