Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 6,874Posts
    • 11,126Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 57
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    UK wind power output is the highest I've ever noticed at 13.7 GW according to www.energynumbers.info/gbgrid - only just short of the 14 GW limit of the dial.

That's including the estimates for embedded wind, which Gridwatch doesn't show, plus energynumbers comes without Gridwatch's rather dubious agenda.
    Originally posted by ed110220
    Hiya, the guy behind it chats on the navitron forum under 'azps'. Incredibly helpful and informative, really knows his stuff, I've posted this old article before as it's so interesting:-

The UK is the Saudi Arabia of wind energy

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 4th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Saw an article yesterday and I can't remember where, (well - I - was in a pub for hours waiting for an uncancelled train..) about a new design of 12Mb turbines, with obviously higher load factors. I'll leave Martyn to flesh out the detail.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 4th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,448 Thanks
    edwink
    https://www.windpowerengineering.com/business-news-projects/ge-presents-haliade-x-worlds-powerful-offshore-wind-turbine/

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 7 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Many thanks Winky.

The incredible thing about these ever larger WT's is that by simply being taller, they catch better/stronger winds, and this means more generation per year, by that I mean a 12MW generates more than just 1.5x more than an 8MW over a year.

The early off-shore wind farms were running at something like 30% capacity factor (that's approx 30% of their nameplate eg 2MW x 24hrs x 365 days).

Now we are getting around 40% cf from the later deployments, and the government and industry expect averages of about 50%cf with the even bigger 'monsters' being deployed now and in the future.

More boring stats, whilst cf tells us that on average they will generate about 50% of their nameplate over a year, they will also generate for about 85% of the time, and the UK wind farm fleet now generates approx 100% of the time when all combined, though of course at times that generation will be very low.

UK offshore wind capacity factors

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Scientists in the US have had enough!

Politics & Climate Change: More Scientists Running For Congress In Affront To Trump

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 13th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Nice news, both lower CO2 transport, and good use of waste to make bio-gas, and a good use of bio-gas.

Reading Buses Testing 17 Scania Double-Decker Biogas Buses

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 14th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    A big battery for Swindon. 50MW/50MWh batt planned.

Green light for Swindon Council’s huge energy storage facility

The project is designed to have a 30-year lifespan and will offer a long-term land rental income for Swindon Borough Council. It will be able to deliver balancing services for National Grid, to help enable the growing proportion of renewable generation in the UK, making a significant contribution to the future flexibility of the UK’s energy system and helping reduce costs for consumers.
    Connecting large batteries to the National Grid helps to smooth out the peaks and troughs which occur in power demand, and match them better with variable supply. The batteries can be used to store energy when it is abundant, and therefore cheaper, and discharge it when demand is greater and the cost is higher. The technology also helps reduce the need for expensive investment in upgrading the grid, also helping reduce energy costs for consumers in the long run.
    Swindon Council gets planning consent for 50MW battery storage scheme, seeks developers

• pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 14th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Hiya, the guy behind it chats on the navitron forum under 'azps'. Incredibly helpful and informative, really knows his stuff, I've posted this old article before as it's so interesting:-

The UK is the Saudi Arabia of wind energy
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    From the article: "So, as the chart above shows, the UK!!!8217;s annual average offshore wind resource is somewhere between 1.5 times larger, and 11 times larger, than 2011 Saudi Arabian energy production. And the great thing is that the wind won!!!8217;t run out."

But, as the many RE skeptics will tell us, the wind can stop blowing (or vary hugely in strength). However, the answer to that is a European wide linked grid to balance out the lulls:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jul/27/balancing-out-the-lulls-of-wind-power-with-a-wider-reach-across-europe

"For example a winter blocking pattern over northern Europe (where high pressure slackens the wind for days on end) is often balanced by increased wind speeds in surrounding areas. So, wind turbines in the Balkans, Greece, the western Mediterranean and northern Scandinavia all have great potential for filling the energy gap."
    3.68kW Split E/W & 1.5kW East solar arrays.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 14th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 5,361 Thanks
    zeupater
    From the article: "So, as the chart above shows, the UK!!!8217;s annual average offshore wind resource is somewhere between 1.5 times larger, and 11 times larger, than 2011 Saudi Arabian energy production. And the great thing is that the wind won!!!8217;t run out."

But, as the many RE skeptics will tell us, the wind can stop blowing (or vary hugely in strength). However, the answer to that is a European wide linked grid to balance out the lulls:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jul/27/balancing-out-the-lulls-of-wind-power-with-a-wider-reach-across-europe

"For example a winter blocking pattern over northern Europe (where high pressure slackens the wind for days on end) is often balanced by increased wind speeds in surrounding areas. So, wind turbines in the Balkans, Greece, the western Mediterranean and northern Scandinavia all have great potential for filling the energy gap."
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    Hi

Yes, however ... the UK has one of the greatest offshore wind resources on the planet simply because of location, therefore it would be pretty hard to make up for a wind generation shortfall here by simply relying on other (less windy) areas .... To place this into context, in 2017 the UK installed over 50% of the total for new net wind generation capacity for the EU!

The key to the issue is storage, most likely large scale pumped hydro, the problem is that it's a reality that is in denial, particularly by politicians ... just look at the number 'save-the-everything' groups that wind turbines have upset enough to become politically vocal, just imagine the number that would come out of the woodwork if proposals were made for flooding significant areas of the UK's upland valleys !! ...

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 14-03-2018 at 4:38 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 14th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    Some good news is that UK off-shore wind farms each generate approx 85% of the time, and collectively it's about 100% of the time. Of course it's important to note that actual generation at those 85th and 100th percentiles will be very low, but at least some generation will be trickling in.

See load duration curves in this link, once again from the mighty azps.

The start of that link also shows the capacity factors of the UK off-shore fleet, and they have been rising as the newer farms use ever taller WT's that can 'farm' stronger more consistent winds from higher up.

But, there's no hiding from the problem of intermittency, so a mix of RE sources and storage is needed, but personally, I think it's also important to mention the gas fleet - we can meet our CO2 targets so long as we use only a small amount of gas, perhaps 10%. But of course CO2 is not a daily/local problem, it's an average problem, so we could use gas for 50% or even 100% of our needs at times, so long as the annual average is low. The existing gas fleet is over 20GW, so can meet 50% of demand on average.

Leading me on to bio-energy, particularly bio-gas, or hydrogen, which can be made and stored, possibly from excess RE generation at times of low demand/low export price, and stored quite compactly.

No easy answers here and any solution will almost certainly involve some overcapacity (and spill) of RE generation, but so long as the average cost is low, that should be absorbed within a reasonable overall price.

................. I think?

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 14th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hi

The key to the issue is storage, most likely large scale pumped hydro, the problem is that it's a reality that is in denial, particularly by politicians ... just look at the number 'save-the-everything' groups that wind turbines have upset enough to become politically vocal, just imagine the number that would come out of the woodwork if proposals were made for flooding significant areas of the UK's upland valleys !! ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Another possibility, I think I've mentioned years ago, is for the UK to pay for catchment lagoons to be built at Norwegian hydro plants.

We then build two-way interconnectors (can interconnectors be one way?) and use excess generation to pump water back up, then use that PHS as ours when needed.

Alternatively, but similar, is for Norway to do this themselves, and also to build new hydro resources, as apparently they have 20GW of relatively easy additional potential. They then act as Europe's battery, a role identified way back under the Desertec idea, which listed the UK's role as one of off-shore wind ..... bringing me back to the start.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Mar 18, 7:21 AM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Super Insulation?
    This sounds interesting, promising.

New Material Made From Wood Is Biodegradable Super Insulation

The researchers call the result “nanowood” and say it costs less and has insulating qualities that are superior to most of the fiberglass and styrofoam insulation materials commonly used in building construction today. It is also stronger than any other insulation products and will not irritate the lungs of installers the way that fiberglass insulation does.
    Stronger, better insulator, less costly, and biodegradable. That’s an impressive list of advantages. Nanowood could be the breakthrough that permits an important reduction in the carbon footprint of homes and buildings.

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 15th Mar 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    NigeWick
    The key to the issue is storage, most likely large scale pumped hydro,
    Originally posted by zeupater
    What about https://www.gravitricity.com/ this type of system could be located almost anywhere.

And of course locally, there's always batteries. I get my Powerwall 2 next month.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    More RE storage news.

Pilot project for flywheel storage underway in Hawaii

A pilot project for kinetic energy storage has begun operations on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. The project features flywheel energy storage technology, provided by California’s Amber Kinetics – the first time the company’s flywheels have been commercially deployed in the United States.

The 8 kW/32 kilowatt-hour flywheel was installed by American Electric, at Hawaiian Electric’s Campbell Industrial Park generating station on Oahu. The project aims to test the technology, and to collect data on its suitability for future utility-owned storage projects in Hawaii, as well to allow Amber Kinetics to further its technology offering.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 15th Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 5,361 Thanks
    zeupater
    What about https://www.gravitricity.com/ this type of system could be located almost anywhere.

And of course locally, there's always batteries. I get my Powerwall 2 next month.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    Hi

I kind of like the idea, however there's not much energy benefit - there was a mention of it recently where I ran the calculations to check the benefits ...

They're likely not looking to generate 20MW for long then! ... for each 1 metre the 2000tonnes is raised the energy storage through gravitational potential is little more than 5kWh, so say it's raised 300m (~1000') the potential is around 1.5MWh, therefore describing a facility which could deliver 20MW for little more than 4 minutes ((1.5/20)*60)) ...
    ... so okay for providing short-term support to the grid for a few minutes, but not much more. The problem with their model is that the comparisons reflect current costs, and as we are aware, battery costs are predicted to fall rapidly over the coming period ....

A considerable benefit though is the potential lifespan of such systems, once they're built there's remarkably little to go wrong, however they simply don't have the potential energy capacity due to the weight involved ... for example, a pumped hydro dam scheme on a similar scale to the current Elan valley complex would hold 100million tonnes, that's 25GWh at a 100m difference between high & low levels ... if you could find sites suitable for an equivalent 300m hi/lo head system that's 75GWh which could be well matched to excess overnight wind generation, intertidal reserves for barrage systems etc .... the decision simply comes down to political will & relative cost - one scheme or likely somewhere between 50k & 100k gravity shafts ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I think I've mentioned this Xcel scheme before, but now we have info on bids, and the total amount of storage is more than a Gigawatt (more than the US installed in all of 2017).

Tesla Bidding On Xcel Energy Battery Storage Plan

I thought this bit was interesting, though I don't know how many hours of storage the bids include, but suspect it somewhere between 4 and 10.

But the truly remarkable thing about the Xcel program is that adding battery storage increases the cost per kilowatt/hour of the electricity by less than a penny. For wind plus battery storage, bids went up from 1.81 cents per kWh to 2.1 cents per kWh. Solar plus storage went from 2.95 cents per kWh to 3.6 cents per kWh. With costs that low, the question is, why wouldn!!!8217;t you add battery storage to any future project?

• michaels
    • By michaels 18th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 20,696 Posts
    • 95,792 Thanks
    michaels
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Of course biodegradable also means it can rot when it is still supposed to be providing insulation...
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    GE launch a 1.2MW/4MWh 'building block' battery.

GE Aims Coal-Killing Energy Storage Solution At Willing Customers (#CleanTechnica Interview)

• lstar337
    • By lstar337 19th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 3,354 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    lstar337
    Of course biodegradable also means it can rot when it is still supposed to be providing insulation...
    Originally posted by michaels
    That's what I thought.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 6,874 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    What wonderfully windy winter weather.

UK Wind Farms Provide 44% Of Electricity Demand

The wind was blowing strong across the UK on Saturday as the country’s wind turbines generated a new record of 14.3 gigawatts by the end of the day, and accounting for as much as 44.5% of total electricity demand during the mid- to late-afternoon.
    Looks like Andrew will have to update his wind dial yet again.

Live generation data from the Great Britain electricity grid

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,399Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin