Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 6,989Posts
    • 11,322Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news.
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news. 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 49
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Fantastic news! But there are a few small caveats.

Netherlands First To Hold Subsidy-Free Wind Power Auction

There have been subsidy free bids before, but this is an actual subsidy free auction, which if unsuccessful will result in an auction offering small subsidies.

It's classed as 'near-shore', which is a bit cheaper than off-shore windfarms that are many miles out.

Like most of Europe, but not the UK, the cost of grid connection isn't paid for by the windfarm, which helps to keep bid prices down.

But, but, but ..... these aren't major issues, and this is a good reflection of the rapidly falling cost of off-shore wind.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Just a quick update to say that zero subsidy bids were submitted for the near shore wind farm auction in the Netherlands. So a massive step forward towards subsidy free off-shore wind power.

Statoil plays Dutch zero bid game

Dutch zero-bid window shuts

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    So a massive step forward towards subsidy free off-shore wind power.
    Speaking of off-shore wind, I can't remember if I've mentioned this in the past but folk might be interested in the theoretical estimates of the amount of energy available from off-shore wind turbines in the UK North Sea.

These are not capacity figures but the amount of generation averaged out as an hourly GW figure.

Estimates of current UK average leccy demand are about 40GW, and with heating and transport switched to leccy, could be 80-100GW.

UK North Sea potential is 1,200GW to 9,100GW, so a tad more than we need. Maybe we could export clean green leccy to Europe and earn a fortune.

The UK is the Saudi Arabia of wind energy

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    The big Tesla battery in Southern Australia not only works, but appears to be a show off. It reacted to a frequency drop outside of the state, and did it faster than the contracted responder.

Quite a funny read:

Tesla big battery outsmarts lumbering coal units after Loy Yang trips

Last Thursday, one of the biggest coal units in Australia, Loy Yang A 3, tripped without warning at 1.59am, with the sudden loss of 560MW and causing a slump in frequency on the network.

What happened next has stunned electricity industry insiders and given food for thought over the near to medium term future of the grid, such was the rapid response of the Tesla big battery to an event that happened nearly 1,000km away.
    Importantly, by the time that the contracted Gladstone coal unit had gotten out of bed and put its socks on so it can inject more into the grid – it is paid to respond in six seconds – the fall in frequency had already been arrested and was being reversed.

Gladstone injected more than Tesla did back into the grid, and took the frequency back up to its normal levels of 50Hz, but by then Tesla had already put its gun back in its holster and had wandered into the bar for a glass of milk.

So why did the Tesla big battery respond when not contracted?

One reason is because it can, and so it did.

The other reason is less clear, but more intriguing. It is contracted to provide such grid services by the South Australia government.

The details of that contract are not released, but it wouldn’t surprise if that contract allowed, or even encouraged, such intervention – just to rub in the message about a cleaner, faster, smarter grid to the technology dinosaurs in the eastern states.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Looks like renewables may have provided about 30% of our leccy this year, up from about 25% the last two years. RE supplied about 5% of our leccy 10yrs ago.

We got a double boost this year as 2016 was a relatively poor wind year, so the extra capacity installed only allowed it to match 2015, but this year has been better and also more capacity again has been commissioned.

Nuclear and renewables provide record share of UK electricity, ONS says

More than half of the UK’s electricity came from nuclear power stations and renewables between July and September, official figures show.

The record high share of 54.4% of power from low carbon sources was a result of the rapid growth in solar and wind power, according to the Office for National Statistics.

During the same period in 2016 the share for low carbon electricity stood at 50%, and in 2015 it was 45%.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 22nd Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    UK North Sea potential is 1,200GW to 9,100GW, so a tad more than we need. Maybe we could export clean green leccy to Europe and earn a fortune.
    Are you including the English Channel? It wasn't until I visited Brighton in autumn 2016 that I became aware of the Rampion development. That's another potential 400Mw coming on stream probably next year. It's the steady incremental nature of all the different developments that I find heartening and, like this field, often near to population centres that will use the power locally.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Are you including the English Channel? It wasn't until I visited Brighton in autumn 2016 that I became aware of the Rampion development. That's another potential 400Mw coming on stream probably next year. It's the steady incremental nature of all the different developments that I find heartening and, like this field, often near to population centres that will use the power locally.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Hiya. I've checked back and looked at the conversation around it, and I think you are right, it's all UK waters, not UK North Sea waters, my confusion was due to references about North Sea Oil v's Saudi Oil, and the UK off-shore wind potential being far greater than even Saudi oil.

I recall the Desertec initiative that suggested a well interconnected Europe and North African PV, with bio-mass from Germany, storage (hydro) from Norway, and off-shore wind from the UK, but to be honest, I hadn't realised how large the scale of UK wind actually was. It's certainly more than we'll ever find use for I suspect, so great news that costs are falling fast.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 23rd Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Higher Birth Weight, Lower Risk Of Premature Births After Coal Power Plant Shut Down

The Portland Generating Plant played a critical role in the Clean Power Plan devised by the Obama administration. As a result of litigation brought by the EPA, a court found it was the sole source of pollution in nearby New Jersey and ordered it closed. In June, 2014, the plant was shuttered. By December 2015, sulfur dioxide emissions in nearby New Jersey had dropped by over 99%.

Yang and Chou repeated their study after the shutdown. Their findings, published this week online in the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management and reported by Lehigh University, show that shutting down the plant reduced the likelihood of a low birth weight baby by 0.89 percentage points or about 15% and reduced the likelihood of a preterm birth by 2.83 percentage points or about 28%. The findings are based on medical data from New Jersey zip codes within 60 miles of the plant.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 26th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Wind Power Means Jobs in Texas, and Partisan Politics Isn't Going to Stop It

Wind turbines bring jobs, tax dollars for new schools, income security for farmers and energy independence. To these Texans, climate change has little to do with it.

• Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 30th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    I'm a little surprised nobody has posted this story yet. It's not the most insightful (especially to the 'experts' on here) but it was the lead headline story on the BBC which is significant in itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42495883
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    The first graph on this link is worth a quick look at

UK Energy Statistics, Q2 2017

and then this article has a good review of 2017:

Analysis: Low-carbon sources generated more UK electricity than fossil fuels in 2017

For the first time in 2017, more than half of the electricity generated in the UK came from low-carbon sources, Carbon Brief analysis shows.

The milestone means that, between them, nuclear and renewables generated more electricity in 2017 than all fossil fuels combined. Within this total, wind alone generated more than twice as much electricity as coal, supplying more power in every month except January.

• pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 4th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    : Low-carbon sources generated more UK electricity than fossil fuels in 2017[/URL]
    Another nail in the coffin for those who are against Renewables.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Another nail in the coffin for those who are against Renewables.
    Originally posted by pile-o-stone
    And another:

Tesla is chosen to build another big battery in Australia after the first one proves impressive

This battery is smaller at just 20MW (v's the first at 100MW), but it does suggest that the technology has proven itself, so expect more as time goes on and costs continue to fall.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This is a nice article as the first graph clearly shows that an oft quoted claim by RE deniers is false. They like to say that gas, not RE has pushed coal gen down, but it's clear to see that the sum of coal + gas has fallen continuously, and gas generation today, is actually less than in 2009 & 2010.

Winds of change: Britain now generates twice as much electricity from wind as coal

On small question though is why they give a bio-mass figure of 5%, normally bio-energy is stated at 10%, rather than just bio-mass, and that may be why the total appears to come to 93%, as it's also missing 2% for hydro. (I'm being a bit picky, sorry )

• gefnew
    • By gefnew 6th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    gefnew
    Hi all
    Something a bit different on wind turbine front.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-42552319
    Regards
    gefnew
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi all
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-42552319
    Regards
    gefnew
    Originally posted by gefnew
    Hi

Sounds like a pretty good idea, turn the North Sea into the local version of the South China Sea and 'do a China' by extending the UK's territorial influence to include half of Denmark! ... that's sorted the trade negotiations for those in the UK worrying about their future morning 'bacon butty' supplies as well as keeping the Danisssshh pig farming & processing industries happy in such uncertain times ...

Z ..
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Here's another interesting article, for more reasons than one.

Firstly, well done to the Danes for getting around 40% of leccy from wind these last few years, as this jumped out at me as the 'latest' percentage quoted by nay-sayers as a RE limit, yet this is just wind, and they are heading for 80% total.

44% Wind — Denmark Set New Wind Energy Record In 2017

By 2020, wind is expected to reach 50 percent of the electricity consumption in the country. In total, renewable energy, including solar and sustainable biomass, will cover 80 percent of electricity consumption in Denmark.
    But another interesting point was that the number of WT's is actually falling.

Although wind turbines deliver a steadily increasing share of the Danish electricity supply, that does not mean that the number of turbines increases. On the contrary, today there are about 20% fewer wind turbines in Denmark than in 2001, when the number of wind turbines peaked. In 2017, about 6,100 wind turbines were in service according to the Danish Energy Authority.

The turbines have become bigger and more efficient. In addition, the majority of Denmark’s offshore wind turbines have been installed since 2001. Overall, capacity in Denmark has more than doubled since 2001, with today’s 5.3 GW wind capacity installed on land and water.
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that the 'enormous costs of storage, and intermittency capacity back-up' that we (the UK) should expect shortly, are nothing more than myths and red-herrings. Looks like they will be far lower, and far later, as storage costs and storage opportunities continue to improve greatly, in line with greater RE deployment and generation.

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 7th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Originally posted by gefnew
    There's already quite a few jobs with Siemens building them on Humberside.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 7th Jan 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Here's another interesting article, for more reasons than one.
    I'm not a believer in burning biomass as it still emits smoke that surely carries stuff we don't want to breath in.

My ideal is wind & solar combined with batteries in smallish systems in many and varied locations so that they will be very resilient and difficult to interrupt using explosives or cyber means. All it takes is political will and some investment. When one looks at the Orkneys who export renewable electricity it is (to me at least) the obvious way to go.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I'm not a believer in burning biomass as it still emits smoke that surely carries stuff we don't want to breath in.

My ideal is wind & solar combined with batteries in smallish systems in many and varied locations so that they will be very resilient and difficult to interrupt using explosives or cyber means. All it takes is political will and some investment. When one looks at the Orkneys who export renewable electricity it is (to me at least) the obvious way to go.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    A nice alternative/compromise is bio-gas rather than bio-mass, so take the excess wind (that's bound to occur at times) and store it compactly as bio-gas, then use that either as thermal generation or fuel cell generation when demand is greater than supply.

Effectively this is what you said, only a different type of battery and bio-energy. It's all looking very promising I think.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 11,322 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Huge China Reforestation Campaign Kicks Into High Gear

Now China has announced a new reforestation program that will plant enough trees in 2018 to cover an area the size of Ireland. Forests already cover 21.7% of the country. That figure is set to increase to 23% by 2020 and 26% by 2035, according to a report in The Telegraph. Zhang Jianlong, head of China!!!8217;s State Forestry Administration, says, !!!8220;Companies, organizations and talent that specialize in greening work are all welcome to join in the country!!!8217;s massive greening campaign. Cooperation between government and social capital will be put on the priority list.!!!8221;

Zhang says China has invested more than $65 billion in new forests in the past 5 years. That push has brought the total amount of forested land in the country to 208 million hectares !!!8212; or just over 800,000 square miles. The new reforestration program will take place in Hebei province in the northeast, Qinghai province on the Tibetan plateau, and in the Hunshandake Desert in Inner Mongolia.

And now spotted a similar (but slightly smaller) idea for the UK:

Government pledges £5.7m to develop new northern forest

The government has pledged £5.7m to kickstart the creation of a northern forest which would stretch from Liverpool to Hull.

The plans, which are being led by the Woodland Trust, include the planting of 50m trees along a 120-mile stretch of land running next to the M62. The project is expected to cost £500m over 25 years, with more than £10m committed by the Woodland Trust and the remainder still to be raised.
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 07-01-2018 at 3:52 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter