Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrHockallz
    • By MrHockallz 8th Jun 15, 10:51 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 37Thanks
    MrHockallz
    Project Solar panels quote.
    • 8th Jun 15, 10:51 AM
    Project Solar panels quote. 8th Jun 15 at 10:51 AM
    Hi all,

On Friday I had a quote for panels from Project Solar and would like to hear your thoughts.

I have been quoted a 10 panel install of Evolution +10 panels and a Growatt inverter totalling a 2.50kWp with a voltage optimiser -and estimated output is 2255.00kwh per year

The current quoted FiT rate is 0.1339. The cost of the system is 5523.81 incl labour 7250.

I don't have 7k so have opted for finance yet the consultant never mentioned the totals - I found out later from the pre credit email to be 14.4k - this is supposed to be a 9.9% APR so I cant see how I'd be borrowing that much but OK. The credit agreement is 78.90pcm over 15 years but the guy said it would be paid off in 10 years - I assume this would be buy me overpaying from profits?
    Over 20 years - it is expected to earn me 20,172 (9460 FiT, 8,040 bill savings and 2671 VO savings) about 490 per year

I'm a little concerned about the bill savings as these are based on estimated of 8.385 rises per year - is that feasible? The papers suggest in 25 years I'll be paying 2897 annually which seems ridiculous.

Another concern I have is that they don't require a surveyor - the consultant said its because my neighbours have ten panels on the roof as well but no one has looked in my loft and I've only owned the home a week, I haven't even gone up in the loft yet!

I did email them about the finance and got a pretty jargon response - if anyone can shed light on this I'd be grateful

"As this is a balance reducing loan you never pay more than you borrow and only interest on the outstanding.
    This further protects the product for the period of the 180 months, so it would make sense to have a double indemnity on your goods which starts from the day of the loan to the end of the loan, irrespective of the settle early if you did.
    Most people settle within 4.2 years in full, a bank average."

I have provisionally agreed install for 16th June but am waiting on more paperwork to sign and return and the guy mentioned the FiT is being reviewed the 1st July and is likely to go down - I felt pressured (a little) into getting my skates on.

To add to the mix I have had an Ikea-Hanergy quote and they have quoted a 2.25kWp system with a total revenue of 13,395 (predicted) at a cost of 5329 including the finance 44pcm for 10 years - seems a no brainer but I have read mixed reviews on the panels. They also use independent surveyors which I;d have to pay for but the consultant there says it removes bias, which makes sense I suppose

Sorry for the long post but am just a little in the dark - I like the sound of the Project Solar quote more but the questions over the estimated leccy prices and finance figures is brining up alarm bells - not to mention lack of a survey.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by MrHockallz; 08-06-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Posted too early
Page 6
    • chamelion
    • By chamelion 23rd Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    chamelion
    What are people's thoughts on SolarEdge? Must have?

The few folks I've messaged with via PM all swear by it. Benefits i'm hearing are improved efficiency, smart monitoring via solaredge applications, and battery-ready out the box.

accurate?
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 23rd Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    zeupater

The few folks I've messaged with via PM all swear by it. Benefits i'm hearing are improved efficiency, smart monitoring via solaredge applications, and battery-ready out the box.

accurate?
    Originally posted by chamelion
    Hi

If you have major shade issues or >2 orientations then the benefits are there & real ... if not it just adds unnecessary expense and potential access issues ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 23rd Nov 17, 3:47 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke

accurate?
    These are all 'nice to haves' but none of them worth it on their own. SE pays for itself in situations where you have panels which are likely to generate at significantly different rates at times. I have panels at different pitches as well as some shading and different orientations. Consequently SE makes a huge difference.

For your proposed set up you appear to only have an E and W issue which with any other inverter would be set up as two independent strings. Unless there are other factors I suspect you will be better off with a non-SE inverter.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 23rd Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer

accurate?
    We went for Solaredge, as we have shading in the winter months. Also, as the panels usually have a 10% tolerance, without the optimisers, each string is limited to the worst performing panel in that string. Also, the monitoring is really good for seeing the output of each panel.

As you are looking for a system on both sides of the roof, it should help maximise your generation throughout the day.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30 pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers. Inst Aug 2015.
    REUK Diverter, Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump, Kia Soul EV & 100% Green Electric Tariff.
    • Teresad
    • By Teresad 8th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Teresad
    Project Solar Quote
    Core components 14 x Evolution Max Life solar panels Included
    Voltage optimiser Included
    Boiler doctor Included
    OWL heating control Included
    11 Smart Radiator Valves Included
    Room Thermostat Included
    K2 mounting kit Included
    inc. access equipment (if required) Included
    Installation Fully installed Included
    Fully registered Included
    10 year workmanship warranty Included
    HIES warranty Included
    Lifetime performance and build warranty on the module Included
    Anti-theft device Included
    48 hour repair response with dedicated customer care Included
    Total cost of goods 7692.00
    Total cost of labour 1923.00
    Net total 9615
    VAT @ 5% 480.75
    Gross total 10095.75

Does anyone have any comments? 4kw panel total
    • chamelion
    • By chamelion 8th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    chamelion
    Core components 14 x Evolution Max Life solar panels Included
    Boiler doctor Included
    Room Thermostat Included
    K2 mounting kit Included
    inc. access equipment (if required) Included
    Installation Fully installed Included
    Fully registered Included
    10 year workmanship warranty Included
    HIES warranty Included
    Lifetime performance and build warranty on the module Included
    Anti-theft device Included
    48 hour repair response with dedicated customer care Included
    Total cost of goods 7692.00
    Total cost of labour 1923.00
    Net total 9615
    VAT @ 5% 480.75
    Gross total 10095.75

Originally posted by Teresad
    Yes. Read these boards, save yourself being ripped off by this dishonest company. You'll get it done for half the price.
    5.42 kWp System, E-W. Installed 30 Nov 2017.
    • Teresad
    • By Teresad 8th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Teresad
    Thank you for your comment. I am now sold on the idea of solar panels but now need to find a company working in the Scottish Borders for a more realistic price.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 8th Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    theboylard
    Hi Teresad,

as chamelion rightly said, there is a lot of puff in Project Solar quotes so I'd walk away from them now.

As soon as people start including bits like:
    Boiler doctor Included
    Room Thermostat Included

I'd question their integrity in doing right.
    Especially the first two, pure snake oil in a domestic enviroment, and difficult to justify in a commercial one.

The market has changed dramatically in the past 8 years, with lots of companies forming to take advantage of the solar gold rush, but a huge number have fallen by the wayside (including my own installer) as the government knee-capped the FiT.
    So the choice of installer is tougher as there aren't so may around now.

Are you actually in Scotland? If so you may qualify for some of the help here - Home Energy Scotland Loan?

If you do qualify for the above, they may well be able to suggest installers?

A quick google for solar panels scottish borders brings up usual search results - but drive around your area and literally knock on doors and ask the question - most people will be more than happy to either reccomend or not whoever did their install.

Good luck and keep searching, when you get more quoets then start your own thread and post them up for comments by others here - we have no vested interest other than saving you money!!
    Last edited by theboylard; 08-08-2018 at 3:07 PM.
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 8th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    pinnks
    I agree. A quick look on www.yougen.co.uk suggests a handful of installers in northern England and Scotland that you might also like to research.

In terms of "add-ons" the only one I would consider would be a diverter, either for hot water/underfloor heating or for an electro car. The others are either worthless or gimmicks in my humble opinion
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 7,549 Posts
    • 12,050 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Originally posted by Teresad
    Yep. It's Project Solar so twice the price it should be.

I assume the salesmen get a huge bonus, as I simply can't understand why all insane quotes are from this one company, and all quotes from this one company are insane.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,291Posts Today

8,762Users online

Martin's Twitter