Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Legal Ombudsman
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question
    • 3rd Jun 15, 12:11 PM
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question 3rd Jun 15 at 12:11 PM
    Have you used a CMC to reclaim PPI or other financial products and received poor service? The Legal Ombudsman is here to answer your CMC queries and concerns. We resolve complaints about legal service providers and CMCs and our service is free.

It may be that your CMC has:
    • failed to do what they agreed
    • hasn’t handled your mis-sold PPI claim the way you expected them to
    • has been slow in responding
    • increased their charges without explaining why
    • unreasonably refused you a service
    • pressured you to accept a service you did not want
    We will investigate your complaint and if we decide the service you received was unreasonable, we can make sure your CMC puts it right.

How to get in touch with your questions and concerns

We're happy to answer your questions in this thread, so just reply below and we'll get back to you.

Alternatively there are lots of other ways you can get in touch.

1. Use our live chat function Mon-Fri between 08:30am and 5:30pm: https://legalombudsman.live-chat-help.com/
    2. Call us Mon-Fri between 08:30am-5:30pm on 0300 555 0333 or on our minicom 0300 555 1777
    3. Email us on cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk
    4. Or write to us at Legal ombudsman, PO Box 6804, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WG

You can also follow us on facebook or twitter @Legal_Ombudsman
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 21-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
Page 13
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Jun 18, 3:56 PM
    • 95,854 Posts
    • 63,576 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I instructed a CMC to look into mis-sold PPI over a year ago. One of my claims came back as rejected and when I spoke to my account manager at the CMC I was advised that they would be appealing this decision as they felt that the rejection was unreasonable. Long story short - over a year down the line I have discovered that the CMC did not appeal the rejection within the 6 month deadline and the company are now, quite rightly, refusing to reconsider the case.
    Over the past year I have inquired with the CMC about this appeal repeatedly, initially being told that it was in a queue for appeal (they were too busy dealing with other cases to do it right away) then being told that they had appealed the case and it had been rejected once again. The CMC tried claiming the same company again, this time for commission rather than PPI, and I have received a letter saying that the initial PPI claim was never appealed. So basically the CMC have failed to do the job I employed them for, and then also lied to try to cover up their mistake. Is there anything I can do about this?
    Originally posted by caitysmomma
    Make a formal complaint to the CMC. If you dont like their response, then you can go to the Legal Ombudsman.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • caitysmomma
    • By caitysmomma 29th Jun 18, 4:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    caitysmomma
    Make a formal complaint to the CMC. If you dont like their response, then you can go to the Legal Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I just spoke with CMC on the phone - as compensation they have offered to reapply for PPI with other companies under plevin (?) and half the amount of their commission for any cases won. I'm not really happy with this....I have already paid them commission on other PPI that they won on my behalf, but I feel like I am paying when they have not done their job properly, and who knows how much money I have potentially lost out on. Is it unreasonable that I am still unhappy?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Jun 18, 6:22 PM
    • 95,854 Posts
    • 63,576 Thanks
    dunstonh
    as compensation they have offered to reapply for PPI with other companies under plevin (?)
    How is that compensation?
    You are free to do that at no cost. A single sentance to the firm asking them to look at your case again in respect of Plevin is all it takes.

and half the amount of their commission for any cases won.
    That is an insult.

Is it unreasonable that I am still unhappy?
    Not at all. You would expect a goodwill gesture from them for their lies told. Maybe only £50-£100 but not an attempt to take more money from you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • londoner49
    • By londoner49 20th Jul 18, 1:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    londoner49
    CMC PPI fee cap
    Hello

I understand a CMC fee cap came in recently, can you confirm what date that was effective from please? I'm not clear if it was from April or July 2018.

Also, for claims after the cap date, should fees be capped at 20% + VAT or does it depend on when the letter of authority or contract was signed with the CMCe? For example, if an LOA or contract was signed in the month before the cap effective date, but with PPI claims submitted only after after the cap date, then which fee rate would apply?

Thanks!
    • UlsterD
    • By UlsterD 29th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UlsterD
    Advice Please
    My partner was online bored one night and filled in claims via MyOffers website back in May regarding PPI and signed my name after doing the same herself thinking something would just come in the post.

After this a few weeks ago a company called Uclaim4Me who I see mentioned on other threads got involved saying they’d been successful in a PPI claim.

They somehow with a fake electronic signature of mine successfully get a claim from Halifax. I asked UClaim4Me to send me the LOA as I hadn’t signed anything myself.

They agreed to lower the fee of around £1100 to £900 but then I read through the Terms Of Engagement.

The LOA has the term of engagement saying their fee was 24% but they are telling me as the claim was raised in May I owe them 33% and their systems automatically posts the new LOA agreement and they couldn’t do anything about it.

Whilst I am happy I have funds I am not happy how they proceeded with things and also the fact they are saying as it was May I owe 33% and not he 24% on their LOA I asked to send as evidence of my authority and signature.

I am happy to pay them 24% as shown on the Terms of Engagement not a problem but they are saying pay the £900 or they will withdraw that offer also and want the full 33%

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    • missunlucky1
    • By missunlucky1 26th Sep 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    missunlucky1
    I have had nothing but hasstle and problems with claiming PPI back from Welcome Finance despite using Resolver. They have had more than enough time and they have not supplied me with any answers and my cases are at escalated point. Ive submitted a complaint to Financial Ombudsman also. They are causing me distress and FAILED to supply documents that match my original documents. They claim and pass the blame and leave me with a debt collection agency after 10 years for £7000 on an account i settled in 2008. Welcome Finance are ruining my life
    • zx81
    • By zx81 26th Sep 18, 10:33 PM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    zx81
    I have had nothing but hasstle and problems with claiming PPI back from Welcome Finance despite using Resolver.
    Originally posted by missunlucky1
    Possibly 'because of', rather than 'despite '...
    • Tori45
    • By Tori45 14th Oct 18, 7:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tori45
    Hi ive used a PPI company and won my case. However the PPI company messaged me in June to say shop direct no longer dealt with them and if I heard anything I was to contact them. I heard nothing. In August I received an invoice from PPI company but had no cheque received to pay them. During a 4 week period I had spoken to them and explained I had not received anything from shop direct meanwhile I had final demands phone calls and texts at from PPI. They then after a month have me a number for shop direct and I rang them. Turns out the cheque had been sent to wrong address. Who is at fault here I do not know. Ive made 6 phone calls to shop direct each time being charged up to £5 a call to chase up this cheque I still have not received. My question is I know I have to pay the PPI company when I get the money, but can I ask for a discount as ive been the one doing all the work. And correcting the mistakes made. Many thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Oct 18, 8:28 AM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    zx81
    No. You were always going to have to all the work.

A claims company just pops your complaint in the post for you.
    • Reed313
    • By Reed313 15th Oct 18, 8:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Reed313
    Claim eazy help
    I signed up claim eazy fpr ppi reclaim and on the first claim they was ok but also received a payout from another ppi calim and i started the process with them in January and they told me it will take 8 weeks and they would call with regular updates but they didn't and i had to call them regularly for updates. I then received gorms from the company i was claiming the ppi against to my gome hence i completed them and sent them back. I got a payout in September and claim eazy want there fees but they didn't keep to there part of the contract hence why i don't feel that i should pay for a service i didn't receive. I have complained to them but am getting no where. I made all the xalls and completed the forms so why should i pay? It don't seem fair. I also submitted all the documents to them with proof of ppi as they requested and was later told that it was a waste of time because the company had to confirm ppi and all they could do was resubmit the complaint every 8 weeks until the company responded which is why it took over 8 months until i contacted the company myself and they sorted it out. Please help!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Oct 18, 8:32 PM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    zx81
    Again, they bought the stamp and posted your complaint.

You now need to pay them for their hard work.
    • Geriberi
    • By Geriberi 20th Oct 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Geriberi
    Hi
    First direct claim I did not have an account, mortgage and ppi with them, yet I was one of there first customers in 1989. What can I do as they seem to have lost my records.
    Geri
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    zx81
    It doesn't sound as if they have lost them, but have treated them correctly in accordance with data protection.

Provide them with your own evidence of PPI payments.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Oct 18, 11:48 AM
    • 95,854 Posts
    • 63,576 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi
    First direct claim I did not have an account, mortgage and ppi with them, yet I was one of there first customers in 1989. What can I do as they seem to have lost my records.
    Geri
    Originally posted by Geriberi
    They haven't lost your records. Data protection requires them to destroy records when they are no longer required. The FCA recommends 6 years after as a guide. Although firms can vary that if they feel they have justification. So, you usually find the destruction of records is staggered over a period.

First Direct never sold MPPI built into the mortgage. It was a standalone plan collected under its own direct debit and I am not sure they actually offered MPPI in the 80s.
    • Stesn96
    • By Stesn96 3rd Nov 18, 7:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stesn96
    Hi
    Just want to know. I'm having trouble with RBS. I'm trying to claim my mis sold PPI on 2 accounts I've had with them, I've sent all the details that they need from my credit report but they keep sending me the same forms out to fill in so I decided to ring them to find out what exactly they needed. They wasn't much help just kept saying they need more information. I have sent it to the ombudsman but was just wondering if you new what they wanted.
    Thank you
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 3rd Nov 18, 10:13 AM
    • 6,006 Posts
    • 3,651 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi
    Just want to know. I'm having trouble with RBS. I'm trying to claim my mis sold PPI on 2 accounts I've had with them, I've sent all the details that they need from my credit report but they keep sending me the same forms out to fill in so I decided to ring them to find out what exactly they needed. They wasn't much help just kept saying they need more information. I have sent it to the ombudsman but was just wondering if you new what they wanted.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by Stesn96

Almost certainly the details on the form, such as why you felt it was miss-sold plus any evidence you have to support that
    • unclegee
    • By unclegee 7th Nov 18, 8:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    unclegee
    Hi. I have an IVA which is due to end november 2019 but would this affect me claimin PPI and credit card charges? If not is there a tool or even a company that would be able to investigate on what im owed on all of of these. Ie.. PPI credit card charges and bank charges?

Thanks.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Nov 18, 8:32 AM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 20,736 Thanks
    zx81
    Never use a company.

If you have a complaint, make it yourself. Redress will go to the IVA but at least you won't be further out of pocket.

Remember that you're not 'owed ' anything. You need to have complaint reasons.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Nov 18, 9:04 AM
    • 95,854 Posts
    • 63,576 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi. I have an IVA which is due to end november 2019 but would this affect me claimin PPI and credit card charges? If not is there a tool or even a company that would be able to investigate on what im owed on all of of these. Ie.. PPI credit card charges and bank charges?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by unclegee
    You should never use a CMC when you have arrears, defaults, amounts written off as part of a settlement, bankruptcy or IVA.

In those scenarios, the redress on an upheld complaint can go against the debt and you would not see the cash in your hands. However, the CMC can bill you against the full value of the redress even though you haven't seen it.
    • Sammy7046
    • By Sammy7046 9th Nov 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sammy7046
    CMC claiming payment Unfair relationship goodwill payment
    CMC instructed re PPI in 2015 rejected by Halifax in October 2015 referred to FOS not received anything further from CMC Halifax contacted me in July 2018 said FOS agreed their original decision but asked to consider unfair relationship goodwill payment made can CMC claim payment
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

363Posts Today

3,508Users online

Martin's Twitter