Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 57
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    eDicky
    Hi please please please change your advice that Revolut is free as it is not!

They are not honouring your free link and are charging £5 delivery.
    Originally posted by Patsyno1
    See the posts on the previous page - they should refund the charge, you may need to ask on the chat. Let us know if it works out.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    eDicky
    Hi,

We are off to Spain at the end of August and I have been looking at a pre-loaded style card to take as I think that works best for us.

From a quick read of the main website and this thread to me Starling looks like the best option for our needs, but to save me the digging as I'm sure it has been covered, is there a cost to load the card from another current account and vice versa move any funds back after the holiday if there are any?

And I am assuming you just load in GBP and it all gets calculated at the time of a transaction rather than being a pre-loaded Euros card?
    Originally posted by photek1000
    The days of 'preloaded style cards' are numbered.

Starling is a bank account with full facilities and no fees, zero-load conversion at the MasterCard rate, so yes, your money remains as pounds until used. You can transfer funds in or out by FP, or add funds by debit card.

Loot.io is very similar as a prepaid card, an excellent backup. Never rely on a single source of funds when traveling.
    • photek1000
    • By photek1000 18th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    photek1000
    Thanks eDicky,

I'll apply for Starling at least, the Loot.io looks to be almost the same from a quick browse, kind of a half way house to between a pre-load and a current account with zero or very small European transaction fees.

Would that be a fair assumption?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Jul 18, 7:49 AM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    eDicky
    I'll apply for Starling at least, the Loot.io looks to be almost the same from a quick browse, kind of a half way house to between a pre-load and a current account with zero or very small European transaction fees.

Would that be a fair assumption?
    Originally posted by photek1000
    Yes pretty much, Loot lacks some of the facilities and the FSCS protection of a 'real' bank account. There are no transaction or other fees, same as Starling, except £1 per ATM withdrawal after the first two free per month. Starling has no such fee or limit so far, it remains to be seen for how long they can absorb the costs of foreign ATM use.
    • Jimmy1959
    • By Jimmy1959 24th Jul 18, 7:40 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimmy1959
    Starling
    Starling is a bank account with a debit card not a prepaid card it's totally on line and pays small interest on account ballance so no charge for deposits of money which you will obviously need to do online. You just use your card to pay in the local currency with near to perfect exchange rates with no additional fees. I'm in Greece currently and it's working a dream. I have not tried to get cash at an ATM yet so cannot comment other than there is a charge.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 5th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 9,885 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I've had a revolut card for a few years & am very happy with it - the only problems we've ever had with it is trying to use it when I've frozen it!

A feature I like is that say we're planning a big holiday in the US them I can put money away each month convert it to $ (so I can't dip in to it lol).

However I do know that it's not so good for ATM withdrawals & im planning a trip where most of the transactions will have to be in cash so I'll need an alternative card.

From what I've read Starling is best for ATM withdrawals but am I right in thinking that you can only have £s in the account? Is there a card that multi currency (as I like the feature not to be able to have the temptation to dip into it) that is good for ATM withdrawals?

Thanks
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I've had a revolut card for a few years & am very happy with it - the only problems we've ever had with it is trying to use it when I've frozen it!

A feature I like is that say we're planning a big holiday in the US them I can put money away each month convert it to $ (so I can't dip in to it lol).

However I do know that it's not so good for ATM withdrawals & im planning a trip where most of the transactions will have to be in cash so I'll need an alternative card.

From what I've read Starling is best for ATM withdrawals but am I right in thinking that you can only have £s in the account? Is there a card that multi currency (as I like the feature not to be able to have the temptation to dip into it) that is good for ATM withdrawals?

Thanks
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards/#weswapeurodollar
    • Edmondcat
    • By Edmondcat 5th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Edmondcat
    Confused
    Looking for card the can take euros us$ nz$ etc and I can used abroad to buy meals etc

There are so many cards loot, Revolut. Transferwise Santander Zero, starling etc

Want a card the I pay £ and can top up online, and it converts to local currency with no charges

Totally confused I am a pensioner.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    eDicky
    Looking for card the can take euros us$ nz$ etc and I can used abroad to buy meals etc

There are so many cards loot, Revolut. Transferwise Santander Zero, starling etc

Want a card the I pay £ and can top up online, and it converts to local currency with no charges

Originally posted by Edmondcat
    You need a smartphone for Starling, Revolut. Loot account can be accessed online also, I'm not sure if you need the smartphone to sign up. These kind of cards, also credit cards like the Zero, convert to any currency when you use the card, so you don't need to worry about different currencies. Revolut can be a little complicated.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 5th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    EveryWhere

Originally posted by Edmondcat
    If you are not of the Smartphone set or your phone not compatible with the relevant applications, consider the relatively old fashioned; https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

No fees for spending abroad. Only a £1.50 charge for ATM withdrawals abroad. So perhaps best to take out a chunk of cash on arrival and subsequently pay for what you can with the card. Using the cash for cash only transactions.
    Nice and simple.
    • Simon331
    • By Simon331 11th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simon331
    Revolut Card - Charges may apply!!!
    Hi all,

Just a general warning as we have just got back from holiday to be hit with a big bill. Prior to going on holiday we got a Revolut pre-paid card as our usual credit card (Tesco Bank) has a big transaction fee (2.75% on each transaction) and dreadful exchange rate when we have used it abroad in the past. While on holiday I topped up my Revolut card on a few occasions without thinking about it.

I have now got home and checked my statements to find that each time I topped up I have been hit with a 4% Cash Transaction Fee by Tesco which immediately starts accruing interest, so it really is a double whammy, so for each £500 topup, I have been charged £20 and they have started charging interest on the £500 immediately so I also have an interest bill to pay.

Suffice to say I am more than a little displeased, especially with Tesco, but would have thought this would have been mentioned on the MSE webpage about prepaid cards, but I have just checked and Revolut is still top of the recommended list but there is no mention of these charges. I am trying to get in touch with Tesco to argue about it, but suspect I will not get anywhere so, either way, I wanted to warn other prospective Revolut card users, as I suspect this is going to be a policy more 'normal' credit card companies are going to implement.

Cheers
    Simon
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 9,885 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hi all,

Just a general warning as we have just got back from holiday to be hit with a big bill. Prior to going on holiday we got a Revolut pre-paid card as our usual credit card (Tesco Bank) has a big transaction fee (2.75% on each transaction) and dreadful exchange rate when we have used it abroad in the past. While on holiday I topped up my Revolut card on a few occasions without thinking about it.

I have now got home and checked my statements to find that each time I topped up I have been hit with a 4% Cash Transaction Fee by Tesco which immediately starts accruing interest, so it really is a double whammy, so for each £500 topup, I have been charged £20 and they have started charging interest on the £500 immediately so I also have an interest bill to pay.

Suffice to say I am more than a little displeased, especially with Tesco, but would have thought this would have been mentioned on the MSE webpage about prepaid cards, but I have just checked and Revolut is still top of the recommended list but there is no mention of these charges. I am trying to get in touch with Tesco to argue about it, but suspect I will not get anywhere so, either way, I wanted to warn other prospective Revolut card users, as I suspect this is going to be a policy more 'normal' credit card companies are going to implement.

Cheers
    Simon
    Originally posted by Simon331
    I've never used a credit card to top up my revolut card as I've always assumed that this would be akin to withdrawing cash.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Grace111
    • By Grace111 11th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grace111
    Our daughter ordered and set up a weswap card with the app and then loaded it with an initial £200. Her bank then phoned her immediately and said that weswap was a fraudulent company and that they were blocking her card from any further online transactions. When she explained that she would need her card because she is travelling to South America this Wednesday they said that was tough. She will now have to use cash withdrawals for her entire trip. They refused o remove the block. So now she will be stuck with charges every time she withdraws cash and she has to phone them first to tell them she is going to be withdrawing cash.

This is outrageous, if they think weswap is fraudulent why did they let the transaction go through? How can they be allowed to force her to do this for her 3 months holiday??

Any advice please
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    dj1471
    Just a general warning as we have just got back from holiday to be hit with a big bill.
    Originally posted by Simon331
    Never use a credit card to top-up a prepaid card, almost every card will apply cash transaction fees for this same as withdrawing from an ATM.
    Any advice please
    Originally posted by Grace111
    Firstly get her to apply for a Monzo account, my wife got her card the next working day. This is a bank account but can be used the same as a prepaid card. She will be able to top it up by bank transfer so won't need to use her debit card for this.

Foreign purchases are fee-free with Monzo and she can withdraw up to £200 cash from ATMs every 30 days without fees. After that it's 3%.

Full details here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/#monzo

Others may be able to advise of other/better options that she can get quickly. Starling Bank would be a better option (no limit on free withdrawals) but I don't know how quickly the card arrives.

Once she's back she should make a formal complaint to her bank and ask for compensation to cover whatever fees she incurs as a result of their over-zealous blocking of her card following a legitimate transaction.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Our daughter ordered and set up a weswap card with the app and then loaded it with an initial £200. Her bank then phoned her immediately and said that weswap was a fraudulent company and that they were blocking her card from any further online transactions. When she explained that she would need her card because she is travelling to South America this Wednesday they said that was tough. She will now have to use cash withdrawals for her entire trip. They refused o remove the block. So now she will be stuck with charges every time she withdraws cash and she has to phone them first to tell them she is going to be withdrawing cash.

This is outrageous, if they think weswap is fraudulent why did they let the transaction go through? How can they be allowed to force her to do this for her 3 months holiday??

Any advice please
    Originally posted by Grace111
    https://support.weswap.com/hc/en-us/articles/219314188-Can-Someone-Else-Load-or-Pay-Into-My-WeSwap-Account-

Explain the situation to them and they should let you pay into her account.
    Then your daughter can transfer the cash to you.
    • Jimmy1959
    • By Jimmy1959 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimmy1959
    Topping up by credit card
    Dear Simon 311,
    I do not have a Revolut card as I opted for a Starling bank account which I thoroughly recommend. In any event I would never top up a prepaid card from a credit card as this will always be deemed to be a cash transaction by your credit card company. This will have nothing to do with Revolut. Look at a Halifax Clarity credit card for use abroad again I thoroughly recommend. Not sure if they still have the promotion on but there was/is a £20 cashback (credit) to your Clarity account on first use abroad. Sorry if this is not much use to you now and good luck when talking to Tesco.
    • Jimmy1959
    • By Jimmy1959 13th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimmy1959
    Starling
    Take a very good look at a Starling bank account easy to set up and I was up and running within 3 days ater applying with the card arriving by 1st class post. Top up online by transfer. The account operates in pounds sterling and even gives you small interest on your balance. You simply use it to pay in the local currency. The exchange rate is as close to the inter-bank rate as you can get with no transaction fees. Also free ATM withdrawals up to the equivalent of £300 per day in the local currency.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

4,147Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin