Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 54
    • adindas
    • By adindas 18th Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    adindas
    I understand with Loots.io

For ATM withdrawals in the UK & abroad, you get two free withdrawals each month and then they are £1 each time thereafter http://support.loot.io/going-abroad/can-i-use-atms-abroad

They have not clearly stated how they define a month. But as usual with card of this kind, one month will normally refer to calendar month (?)

So if your travel span along two consecutives months you will get four free withdrawal.

Has anyone really tried this and observed it that there is no £1 fee for this ??

Originally posted by adindas
    Just want to inform the forum that a month definition with loots is based on calendar month so if your overseas travel span within two months you could get 2+2 withdrawals (e.g four free withdrawals in total).

I got this confirmation from an agent from chatting with them.
    Last edited by adindas; 18-04-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    • dobbollah
    • By dobbollah 26th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    dobbollah
    prepaid card for use in America
    last time i went i used the Thomson one, no complaints, but I'm led to believe with Revolt the exchange rates are better.

I'd welcome any suggestions for any others??
    Debt free since Jan 2016

• bulletthebluesky341
    • By bulletthebluesky341 29th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bulletthebluesky341
    Caxtonfx cashback
    Good morning all,

First post here, so apologies if this has been asked and answered already: I have read through the whole thread and searched, but didn't see it.
    I am just in the process of signing up for a Caxtonfx card, via Topcashback and have a quick question:

Topcashback give different cash back rates, depending on initial load on the card. However, in going through the registration process for the card, it asks for an initial top-up / deposit of £10+ to order the card. Does anyone know if this is the point at which I have to load sufficient funds to achieve the limit for cashback, or will this be the money I load once the card arrives. I had hoped to order the card with £10 and then load holiday spending money closer to the date of travel, as it is currently in savings accounts and earning interest, albeit only small amounts. It is rather confusing on the Caxton website, as sometimes they refer to this initial payment as 'a deposit', and as 'a top-up' or 'load' at other times.

Just to say, before anyone advises that this is not the best card to take / use, I have Clarity and Revolute cards too; this is just my back-up as I am doing lots of travelling this year.

Thank you in anticipation.
    • DCDonaldson
    • By DCDonaldson 17th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DCDonaldson
    Applying for Prepaid Travel Card for family member
    I have a sister-in-law coming to visit from South Africa. She will be spending a few days in the UK after travelling around Europe. We are giving her some spending money for her trip. The most secure way of doing this is to provide her with a prepaid travel card in Euros, which she can use while travelling and hopefully also in the UK when she visits us after gambolling across Europe.

Does anybody know of a card supplier that will permit the card to be issued in someone else's name? I had thought of getting a card in my name, but that would create issues if she is asked for any identification when making a purchase in Europe.

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    eDicky
    Does anybody know of a card supplier that will permit the card to be issued in someone else's name?
    Originally posted by DCDonaldson
    No, it doesn't exist.

If she has any kind of verifiable address in UK she can apply for a Loot prepaid account, or an address anywhere in Europe a Revolut account.

A TransferWise Borderless Account may accept a South African applicant, I'm not sure.

I've never known ID being required for a card payment in Europe.
    • firsttimetraveller17
    • By firsttimetraveller17 18th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firsttimetraveller17
    Hello. I am going travelling from west to east across America and I am looking for the best travel card to get. Has anyone had any experience using Revolut in America and would you recommend it?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th May 18, 2:06 PM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 10,349 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hello. I am going travelling from west to east across America and I am looking for the best travel card to get. Has anyone had any experience using Revolut in America and would you recommend it?
    Originally posted by firsttimetraveller17
    I've used mine in Canada, Australia & New Zealand with no problems at all - I say no problems, it got refused in Canada twice but then I remembered I'd frozen the card on the app just in case I lost it!

Once unfrozen it worked like a dream.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • firsttimetraveller17
    • By firsttimetraveller17 18th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    firsttimetraveller17
    Perfect, thank you! That was the final confirmation I needed. I will go ahead and order the travel card
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th May 18, 3:55 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    eDicky
    I recommend that you study the Revolut FAQs and fair usage policy, to help avoid any mistakes or surprises during use.

USA (and other) card terminals often need the type of card to be selected, 'Credit Card' usually needs to be chosen for Revolut.

There's sometimes a complication with American restaurants who take payment twice, then refund one charge later.

Any card can sometimes fail or be lost etc, so always have backup, even if it's your regular debit card. A good option is https://loot.io/
    • susycat0
    • By susycat0 4th Jun 18, 10:07 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    susycat0
    Hi

We are going to thailand at the end of this month and were wanting to get a prepaid credit card to load up so we do not have to carry to much cash. I have tried to understand all the ins and outs but really cannot get my head around it all. I know it would be cheaper to use a credit card but I like to budget and to know exactly what I have to spend. Can anybody recommend which card is best for thailand. Thankyou
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 4th Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    AlSto
    Hi

We are going to thailand at the end of this month and were wanting to get a prepaid credit card to load up so we do not have to carry to much cash. I have tried to understand all the ins and outs but really cannot get my head around it all. I know it would be cheaper to use a credit card but I like to budget and to know exactly what I have to spend. Can anybody recommend which card is best for thailand. Thankyou
    Originally posted by susycat0
    CC allows to to withdraw over the bank counter, therefore avoiding the 220 baht(£5.15) ATM fee each time.
    https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ might work in the same way for you. Either way, that would be my debit card recommendation.
    You should have some cash(£50 notes are best) to change at the airport (BKK) to again avoid the ATM fee.But go down to Level B to do the exchange. The exchanges at arrival and departure levels are to be avoided.
    • robbierobbo
    • By robbierobbo 4th Jun 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robbierobbo
    Cash Passport loading delay
    Hi! First time here so not sure if a) this has been posted before, and b) if this is how you do it...but anyway... I have a Cash Passport (Mastercard) which I got a few years ago from Sainsburys's. Always transfer money to it via my Halifax Online banking account - and always a pretty quick turnaround. But today even though I see my Halifax account has been debited there is no money on my card. Rang up Cash Passport about another issue, and when I asked about this delay issue I was told it would take two to three days...it hasn't before. Is this normal - and why, when halifax tell me the money will be in the other account in two hours..doesn't it...and sheer interest...where is my money? Apparently if I give them my debit card over the phone money will be transferred immediately? What is this all about? Answers, clarification gladly received!
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 4th Jun 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    dj1471
    Hi! First time here so not sure if a) this has been posted before, and b) if this is how you do it...but anyway... I have a Cash Passport (Mastercard) which I got a few years ago from Sainsburys's. Always transfer money to it via my Halifax Online banking account - and always a pretty quick turnaround. But today even though I see my Halifax account has been debited there is no money on my card. Rang up Cash Passport about another issue, and when I asked about this delay issue I was told it would take two to three days...it hasn't before. Is this normal - and why, when halifax tell me the money will be in the other account in two hours..doesn't it...and sheer interest...where is my money? Apparently if I give them my debit card over the phone money will be transferred immediately? What is this all about? Answers, clarification gladly received!
    Originally posted by robbierobbo
    Presumably the money is credited to a holding account and credited to your card in slower time.

There are plenty of better cards available which can be topped up instantly - Revolut, Monzo, etc
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Jun 18, 7:53 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    eDicky
    I have a Cash Passport (Mastercard) which I got a few years ago from Sainsburys's.
    Originally posted by robbierobbo
    There's no need to persist with such a dismal product, much better value and service with the modern solutions; Starling Bank, Monzo, Revolut, Loot.io
    • patam
    • By patam 5th Jun 18, 1:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patam
    Revolut, just be careful.
    Be very careful if planning to use Revolut. They have expanded rapidly and their customer services have not managed to keep up. There is no telephone number or email address with which to contact them only web chat, and this can take days for a reply. Even when they do, it can be just to say that they are sorry that you are having problems and that the resolution should be smooth.
    Their basic service of using the card for small amounts is good. Just don't have any problems, as you will be entering a nightmare. There are numerous complaints on Twitter and on Revolut Community. The comments that praise Revolut are unbelievable, I cannot believe that they are from real people.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Jun 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    eDicky
    Be very careful if planning to use Revolut.
    Originally posted by patam
    It's true, you need to be really careful how you use Revolut, to avoid any problems. Familiarise yourself with how it works and anything in particular that you want to use it for, and make sure you have fully verified yourself, before going ahead. They provide plenty of info, accessible in the app. If you're careful you can quite confidently use it as the sophisticated multicurrency tool that it is.
    • dumbdodo
    • By dumbdodo 12th Jun 18, 5:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dumbdodo
    Got told off by WeSwap for UK use??!!
    Hi,

I got a Weswap card as advertised on MSE and have been using it in the UK as it had more than £400 on it and I didn't want to leave such a large amount sitting on it until I go for holiday in November. I've done some grocery shopping and got some cash out.

Weswap contacted me telling me that I should use Weswap overseas and should not be using it in the UK (spending in Sterling). I've read the terms and can't find anything that says this.

Has anyone else come across something like this with WeSwap?
    Last edited by dumbdodo; 12-06-2018 at 5:50 AM.
    • soldierboy001
    • By soldierboy001 13th Jun 18, 8:22 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    soldierboy001
    ID requirement
    Only on this Monday gone I was asked for ID using a card for just 7.50 Euro in Madrid Spain. The reason given was because of stolen cards being used for swipe payments, normally pass code is sufficient.
    • soldierboy001
    • By soldierboy001 13th Jun 18, 8:34 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    soldierboy001
    Be very careful if planning to use Revolut. They have expanded rapidly and their customer services have not managed to keep up. There is no telephone number or email address with which to contact them only web chat, and this can take days for a reply. Even when they do, it can be just to say that they are sorry that you are having problems and that the resolution should be smooth.
    Their basic service of using the card for small amounts is good. Just don't have any problems, as you will be entering a nightmare. There are numerous complaints on Twitter and on Revolut Community. The comments that praise Revolut are unbelievable, I cannot believe that they are from real people.
    Originally posted by patam
    I praise Revolut and I am a real person, yes they have a lousy customer service, and I am in the process of trying to get this put right with the help of the banking ombudsman.
    The workings of the card its self is not very easy for an older person like me, but normal live chat is very helpful, it is when you need to speak to a live agent the problems start
    All things said I think it is a brilliant card and added help can be viewed on you tube, quite a few how to videos.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jun 18, 8:49 AM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 20,258 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    All things said I think it is a brilliant card and added help can be viewed on you tube, quite a few how to videos.
    Originally posted by soldierboy001
    Blimey! How hard is it to use that there needs to be quite a few how to videos on YouTube?

I've only experience with credit and debit cards. You stick them in an ATM and you get money out or just swipe/tap them to pay for stuff.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,983Posts Today

7,318Users online

Martin's Twitter