Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 52
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 12th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 193,873 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I've just 'advised' our adult boys about the cards for travel money - sounded like an expert.... thanks for all your help, huge amount of stress off my shoulders, now just to sort the baggage and clothes out!
    • PennyPuppet
    • By PennyPuppet 30th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PennyPuppet
    Hi
    I am looking for a prepaid card to use in the US.
    We will be a Group including five adults and
    ideally would want four cards from the provider to give us
    flexibility to travel independently for some trips. Any ideas which
    Ones to look at?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 31st Jan 18, 5:14 AM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    I am looking for a prepaid card to use in the US.
    Originally posted by PennyPuppet
    It's the same as for anywhere. Starling Bank is an actual bank account on your phone, totally fee-free and can be 'topped-up' with your bank card in the same way as a prepaid. Otherwise Loot, or Revolut (£5 card) prepaid.

https://www.starlingbank.com/

https://loot.io/

https://www.revolut.com/

Take at least two each, and/or other cards for backup. Any card can sometimes fail somehow or be lost etc. Most US ATMs charge for withdrawals but card payment can be made for most things, not much need for cash.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 31st Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    adindas
    Revolut No ATM fees on withdrawals up to £200 ?
    I understand with Revolut there is no ATM fees on withdrawals up to £200 in value per calendar month, and 2% fee applies above that.

By this definition of calendar month will mean if your trip span over two different Month (say end of February until first week of March) you will have quota of 2x£200 = £400 (e.g one in Feb and one in March).

Does anyone have personal experience to use Revolut in this way and their system does not charge you a fee of 2% ??
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 1st Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I understand with Revolut there is no ATM fees on withdrawals up to £200 in value per calendar month, and 2% fee applies above that.

By this definition of calendar month will mean if your trip span over two different Month (say end of February until first week of March) you will have quota of 2x£200 = £400 (e.g one in Feb and one in March).

Does anyone have personal experience to use Revolut in this way and their system does not charge you a fee of 2% ??
    Originally posted by adindas

https://community.revolut.com/t/help-a-newbie-out-please/6587/4
    • CJB666
    • By CJB666 3rd Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CJB666
    Post Office Travel Card
    There is a lot of angst about this on TrustPilot. Unaware of all of the complaints we used one recently to travel to Australia and New Zealand.

From direct experience our issues include:

1/ When applying for the Card the system corrupted our address. We complained and were told to send two documents confirming our address before they would send the Card. However a couple of days later the Card was delivered (with £500 loaded on to it) - TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. Luckily the postman intercepted it and delivered it to us. So much for the checking of the validity of an applicant's address.
    2/ Loading fee(s) and exchange rates were a ripoff
    3/ Nationwide / VISA declined all attempts to reload the Card whilst in those countries despite a massive balance in our bank account(s)
    4/ Expedia declined the card for accommodation and flight bookings despite the loading being well topped up
    5/ Also we couldn't choose currency payments with Expedia - we wished to pay in AU$ or NZ$ - but payments were declined anyway
    6/ In both countries we had to use a local SIM to keep phone costs down, however the respective tel. nos. weren't registered with the P.O. - there was no way to do this - so we couldn't obtain the PIN no. for the card using SMS (we had inadvertently deleted the original SMS text). This meant that we could only use the Card for purchasing small goods using 'touch in.'
    7/ Contacting Customer Service required calling UK-based nos. at great cost - we didn't bother
    8/ Even if logged into our account emails to Customer Service re: the Card did not end up with the Support Team - but had to be forwarded by a General PO CS agent first; this delayed any response
    9/ Frequently responses did not address the issue of concern
    10/ There was an average 10-day response time for requests for help - useless for when things went wrong whilst travelling
    11/ And any response always started "Dear Cxxxx" - what right have they to use my Christian name as part of a communication about unsatisfactory service?
    12/ On our return to the UK trying to analyse our spending, we wanted to download in CSV format our transaction history; but apparently this is not possible.

However the biggest issue was that Nationwide declined to allow us to top up or reload the Card whilst we were travelling. It appears that banks are deliberately sabotaging such Cards in order to keep charging extortionate currency exchange / transfer fees. Complaints about this to the P.O. were ignored. Nationwide will pay the price in the complete closure of all of our accounts and the withdrawal of all our investments in favour of a more customer oriented bank.
    Last edited by CJB666; 05-02-2018 at 3:47 AM. Reason: additional points
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 3rd Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    There is a lot of angst about this on TrustPilot. Unaware of all of the complaints we used one recently to travel to Australia and New Zealand.

From direct experience our issues included:

1/ Loading fee(s) and exchange rates were poor
    2/ Nationwide / VISA declined all attempts to reload the Card whilst in those countries despite a massive balance in our bank account(s)
    3/ Expedia declined the card for accommodation and flight bookings despite the loading being well topped up
    4/ Also we couldn't choose currency payments with Expedia - we wished to pay in AU$ or NZ$ - but payments were declined anyway
    5/ In both countries we had to use a local SIM to keep phone costs down, however the respective tel. nos. weren't registered with the P.O. - there was no way to do this - so we couldn't obtain the PIN no. for the card using SMS (we had inadvertently deleted the original SMS text). This meant that we could only use the Card for small goods using 'touch in.'
    6/ Contacting Customer Service required calling UK-based nos. at great cost - we didn't bother
    7/ Even if logged into our account emails to Customer Service re: the Card did not end up with the Support Team - but had to be forwarded by a General PO CS agent first; this delayed any response
    8/ Frequently responses did not address the issue of concern
    9/ There was an average 10-day response time for requests for help - useless for when things went wrong whilst travelling
    10/ On our return to the UK trying to consolidate our spending, I wanted to download in CSV format our transaction history; but apparently this is not possible.

However the biggest issue was that Nationwide declined to allow us to top up or reload the Card whilst we were travelling. It appears that banks are deliberately sabotaging such Cards in order to keep charging extortionate currency exchange / transfer fees. Complaints about this to the P.O. were ignored.
    Originally posted by CJB666
    Nope. Nonsense.
    Nationwide debit card is at least equal to in value for money to the Post Office travel card, without any of the hassle.
    https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ even better.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Feb 18, 1:39 AM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    Unaware of all of the complaints we used one recently to travel to Australia and New Zealand.
    Having eventually discovered that you are probably referring to the Post Office Travel Card (edit: maybe you identified it with a header but I don't see it using mobile) - I'm sorry to hear that you were somehow enticed into using one of the worst possible choices for travel.

It would not cost more and probably be cheaper to use your regular bank debit card, without the various issues and bad service of the PO card and without having excess foreign currency that will cost you again to redeem.

There's plenty of info on MSE about the best card solutions for travel.
    Last edited by eDicky; 04-02-2018 at 1:46 AM.
    • CJB666
    • By CJB666 5th Feb 18, 3:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CJB666
    Having eventually discovered that you are probably referring to the Post Office Travel Card (edit: maybe you identified it with a header but I don't see it using mobile) - I'm sorry to hear that you were somehow enticed into using one of the worst possible choices for travel. --snip--
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I did indeed head the post with Post Office Travel Card ??!!!
    • jakecrowe11010
    • By jakecrowe11010 5th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jakecrowe11010
    Pre paid travel cards
    Hi, I am going to NZ in a months time and wanted to take a pre paid travel card. The current three choices are PO travel card, FairFX and Revolut. The Revolut card seems the best however the reviews online don't give me confidence in the card. The Fair FX card seems good apart from the 1.4% exchange every time the card is used. Any recommendations? Thanks
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    Forget about the PO card, read the previous posts for the reasons. Take more than one card, to avoid being stuck if a card is declined or lost etc.

https://www.starlingbank.com/

https://loot.io/

Revolut is fine, as long as you don't make any mistakes, study the FAQs.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 5th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hi, I am going to NZ in a months time and wanted to take a pre paid travel card. The current three choices are PO travel card, FairFX and Revolut. The Revolut card seems the best however the reviews online don't give me confidence in the card. The Fair FX card seems good apart from the 1.4% exchange every time the card is used. Any recommendations? Thanks
    Originally posted by jakecrowe11010
    I used my revolut card there with no problems at all.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Plum161
    • By Plum161 5th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Plum161
    Feeling ripped off!
    I applied for an ICE prepaid travellers card, was accepted & loaded the card. I haven't received a card despite it being days after the deadline for receipt. On contacting customer services I was told that for the past three weeks cards are no longer being issued! No explanation given other than I should have had an email - I haven't! I can't believe that this company can still be accepting applications & never mind taking peoples money, when they don't intend to send out a card - how can this be legal?

I have contacted the company by email & written but as yet have receive no response.
    Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this happening?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 5th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    adindas
    loot.io stacked in the ID verification
    loot.io seems a better alternative than Monzo as it allows you two free ATM withdrawal.

When try to open loo.io account I got stacked in verification stage. It does not allow me to take the picture (scan my ID) from my mobile phone, It keep saying it will automatically catch (take picture). I have been trying this since a few days, still the same result, nothing happen It will not take my ID picture (Scan), there is not any button either to force to take scan (picture).
    I have tried to contact its CS though online chatting also no luck no one is no answering the chat.

Does anyone experience the same problem? What did you do in this case to make it work?
    Last edited by adindas; 05-02-2018 at 4:48 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    I applied for an ICE prepaid travellers card, was accepted & loaded the card. I haven't received a card despite it being days after the deadline for receipt. On contacting customer services I was told that for the past three weeks cards are no longer being issued! No explanation given other than I should have had an email - I haven't! I can't believe that this company can still be accepting applications & never mind taking peoples money, when they don't intend to send out a card - how can this be legal?

I have contacted the company by email & written but as yet have receive no response.
    Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this happening?
    Originally posted by Plum161
    Contact your bank to request a chargeback of the funds you loaded.
    • romankostka
    • By romankostka 3rd Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    romankostka
    weswap
    I would suggest WeSwap, and if you go through topcashback, they give you 3,5% on top up over 1500!!!321;...I've just toppped with 3000 and got 105 cashback, which makes it the best offer I think
    • CJB666
    • By CJB666 4th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CJB666
    BUT we had a Post Office Travel Money card when we went to Australia and New Zealand in January. It started off with a nominal amount - just to see if it worked. But when we got to Oz. and tried to load it properly Nationwide declined the payment, despite my having a large amount in my account for that purpose (including a substantial inheritance). The cash on the Money Card quickly ran out, then I had to use my Nationwide / VISA card for all sorts of payments - hotels, food, attractions, transportation, etc. But they first of all declined these payments until I sent them a stroppy email via Internet banking - despite my telling them in advance where we were going. Then for each payment they allowed they slammed me with draconian foreign currency payment fees. Banks don't like these Money Cards because they lose the profits from these fees. B'stards.
    Last edited by CJB666; 04-03-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: slight mod.
    • kdub69
    • By kdub69 4th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kdub69
    Best pre paid card for use in USA? Best to get a FairFX Sterling card, load with GBP then do every transaction in USD when paying?? Or a FairFX dollar card?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    Best pre paid card for use in USA? Best to get a FairFX Sterling card, load with GBP then do every transaction in USD when paying?? Or a FairFX dollar card?
    Originally posted by kdub69
    If that's a question, then no, there are better choices than FairFX, Caxton etc.
    Last edited by eDicky; 04-03-2018 at 9:23 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    But when we got to Oz. and tried to load it properly Nationwide declined the payment,
    Nationwide probably did you a favour, it's likely overall cheaper to use their debit card than the PO Travel card. But if I'm not mistaken somebody else reported a similar top up decline.*

*post #1026 above
    Last edited by eDicky; 04-03-2018 at 9:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

438Posts Today

4,743Users online

Martin's Twitter