Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 20Thanks
    MSE Tony
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion 14th May 15 at 12:35 PM
    Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

AutoAid

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
    • Have you experienced problems?
    • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 14-05-2015 at 1:04 PM.
Page 9
    • Dausalis1
    • By Dausalis1 6th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dausalis1
    NOT as comprehensive as others - vehicle got stuck in gravel at end of drive. Their call centre said it wasn't covered despite having home cover and accident recovery. They say that they didn't define this as an accident as there was no mechanical or electrical damage to vehicle. Yet when asked if I had driven the front wheel into a ditch with or without damage I would have been covered ! Customer service operator very patronising and when I spoke to customer service manager comparing with Green Flag she told me you get what you pay for ! . WONT be renewing with Auto Aid - not "comprehensive" in the real sense.
    • Alan Cross
    • By Alan Cross 1st May 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Alan Cross
    Sorry for the ignorance - if you join, then what exactly is covered? Specific vehicles? Any car you drive? Is your spouse covered or can this be an option?
    • KTF
    • By KTF 1st May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    KTF
    Any vehicle that you or your spouse are in.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 1st May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 36,839 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Quentin
    Is your spouse covered or can this be an option?
    Originally posted by Alan Cross

Spouse is covered foc but you need to add spouse to the policy when taking it out
    • Sky Dragon
    • By Sky Dragon 2nd May 18, 7:22 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sky Dragon
    Used Autoaid for the first time last month after the car suddenly broke down when driving home. They arrived within about 30 minutes and diagnosed the fault. They couldn't fix it on the spot but they were able to start the car temporarily , so I was able to get it as far as my home. They then arranged for a transporter to take the car to the garage the next day to have the fault properly repaired. Excellent service and I will certainly stay with them.
    • Hob345
    • By Hob345 6th Jun 18, 4:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hob345
    Customer Feedback
    I purchased AutoAid based on the recommendation on this site. I had to wait more than one and a half hours in a builtup suburban region of the north west on a week day evening. The only recovery they could get was coming from Leeds even though I was near Liverpool! This tells me AutoAid do not have the network to provide a realistic breakdown response. It is too late for me to get a refund but I am taking my business elsewhere
    • orrery
    • By orrery 7th Jun 18, 12:15 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    orrery
    On the same day you posted this, I saw a post of someone complaining about the RAC with a longer wait than this. I've used Autoaid twice over several years and they've been pretty good.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 9th Jun 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    WLM21
    I am with Autoaid and got stuck recently in my campervan. Their mechanic was out to me in about 30minutes, even texting me to say he was on his way. Sorted me out (well the van really) quickly and all was well.
    10/10 service from me
    • fwor
    • By fwor 9th Jun 18, 10:36 PM
    • 6,032 Posts
    • 4,090 Thanks
    fwor
    I am with Autoaid and got stuck recently in my campervan.
    Originally posted by WLM21
    Camper van owners need to be very cautious when considering AutoAid. If you look at their policy document you will find that they will only cover camper vans provided they are below 2.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight.

The problem with this is that 1) many camper vans do not fall within this limit and 2) either their call centre operators don't understand what "Gross Vehicle Weight" means, or they choose not to.

For 3 years in a row I was assured that my camper van was eligible for cover, which I paid for. And then I asked that they provide written confirmation that my van WAS covered - at which point they told me it was not! Fortunately I had no breakdowns during that period, so I didn't find out that I wasn't covered the hard way...
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 10th Jun 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    WLM21
    Camper van owners need to be very cautious when considering AutoAid. .
    Originally posted by fwor
    Thanks for the information. Great point !!

I actually have a separate breakdown policy through my van insurance, but at the time I broke down I only had the phone number readily available for Autoaid.

I was covered anyway as I was driving the van.

I have both numbers now in the glove compartment of the van, together with policy details etc.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 10th Jun 18, 10:45 AM
    • 7,627 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    daveyjp
    I purchased AutoAid based on the recommendation on this site. I had to wait more than one and a half hours in a builtup suburban region of the north west on a week day evening. The only recovery they could get was coming from Leeds even though I was near Liverpool! This tells me AutoAid do not have the network to provide a realistic breakdown response. It is too late for me to get a refund but I am taking my business elsewhere
    Originally posted by Hob345
    There will always be bad experiences. A colleague's son was recently stranded for two days thanks to RAC incompetence.
    • Solarjunkie
    • By Solarjunkie 22nd Jun 18, 12:44 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    Solarjunkie
    Any vehicle that you or your spouse are in.
    Originally posted by KTF
    Not any vehicle you are in, any vehicle you are driving.

Just renewed using 0800 2321691.
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
    • Risnog
    • By Risnog 26th Jun 18, 11:22 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Risnog
    National recovery or local garage
    I've scrolled through this thread and get mixed messages whether this is recovery to a local garage, or garage of choice. Can anyone advise?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 26th Jun 18, 11:55 AM
    • 22,277 Posts
    • 10,907 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Page 9
    We will arrange and pay the cost
    of taking the vehicle, you
    and up to 5 passengers from the place where the vehicle
    has broken-down to any one place you choose.

Note that anecdotally I've found in recent years that recovery firms will not leave a car at a garage out of hours where no-one can sign for it and often it has to be taken home and then to a garage the next day. Not sure how that works with autoaid. Anyone know?

• The Goose
    • By The Goose 8th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    The Goose
    I signed up with AutoAid last year, and my cover is coming up for renewal.

I am most put out to find that there is a "Policy Renewal Charge" of 5. What other breakdown companies charge this?

And also, if I take my custom elsewhere, "A minimum charge of 15 +IPT from the insurer will be applicable. We will also deduct a 15 adminstration charge to cancel your policy."

So basically, I am charged 5 to stay with them, and 30 to leave.

There is something not right about this, and I don't know why MSE has not pointed it out in their glowing recommendation for AutoAid.

I haven't had cause to call AutoAid out this year, and looking at the situation overall I think I will reluctantly renew rather than shell out thirty quid for the privilege of not renewing . However I can't help but feel they have me (and others) over a barrel

I was previously with Britannia Rescue, who I was very happy with, but they hiked up the fee last year and would only reduce it by a fiver, which was why I changed to AutoAid, not least due to said MSE glowing recommendation.

What do other people think? Are these charges normal practice? Britannia Rescue didn't charge me a penny for leaving them, and they certainly never charged me for renewing!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 36,839 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Quentin
    You must have misunderstood the TS & cs regarding the 15 fees you mention

You look to be referring to the fees payable if you want to "cancel", not for simply allowing the policy to lapse
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 19,097 Posts
    • 13,320 Thanks
    molerat
    I signed up with AutoAid last year, and my cover is coming up for renewal.

I am most put out to find that there is a "Policy Renewal Charge" of 5. What other breakdown companies charge this?

And also, if I take my custom elsewhere, "A minimum charge of 15 +IPT from the insurer will be applicable. We will also deduct a 15 adminstration charge to cancel your policy."

So basically, I am charged 5 to stay with them, and 30 to leave.

There is something not right about this, and I don't know why MSE has not pointed it out in their glowing recommendation for AutoAid.

I haven't had cause to call AutoAid out this year, and looking at the situation overall I think I will reluctantly renew rather than shell out thirty quid for the privilege of not renewing . However I can't help but feel they have me (and others) over a barrel

I was previously with Britannia Rescue, who I was very happy with, but they hiked up the fee last year and would only reduce it by a fiver, which was why I changed to AutoAid, not least due to said MSE glowing recommendation.

What do other people think? Are these charges normal practice? Britannia Rescue didn't charge me a penny for leaving them, and they certainly never charged me for renewing!
    Originally posted by The Goose
    You are totally misreading both their general and specific conditions.

There is no charge if you do not renew but if you do and decide to cancel that is a different matter. There is no charge to renew, what you pay is as shown on your renewal notice and for me was 6.37 cheaper than a new policy - 41.94 against 48.31.
    Last edited by molerat; 08-08-2018 at 3:19 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • orrery
    • By orrery 8th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    orrery
    ... and for me was 6.37 cheaper than a new policy - 41.94 against 48.31.
    Originally posted by molerat

Yep, same here. Good to see a company rewarding loyalty.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • The Goose
    • By The Goose 8th Aug 18, 3:54 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    The Goose
    I accept I may have assumed that I had to actually cancel the policy rather than just let it lapse if I did not want to renew, so I mistakenly thought that meant I had to pay 30. Apologies.

However it clearly says on the renewal email I was sent:

"Your premium for the past 12 months was 43.31

The renewal premium due is as follows: 48.31 (including Insurance Premium Tax @12.00% and Policy Renewal Charge of 5.00)

So I am being charged five pounds just to renew, no?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 19,097 Posts
    • 13,320 Thanks
    molerat
    It looks like you are being charged the full, as shown on their website, amount for renewal. The 5 being shown separately is because of the regulator tightening up on openness on any fees that intermediaries are charging, you would also get charged this for starting a new policy.
    Last edited by molerat; 08-08-2018 at 4:37 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin