AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• I phoned the company to ask if the joint cover meant only legally married couples/civil relationships or if it included common-law relationships/couple living in the same property for a specific period of time, to be told that the latter could not take advantage of the deal as we were not legally married. What a shame that this is the case as may have had my business. I haven't come across any other breakdown service which discriminates in this way.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    PSB66 wrote: »
    .... I haven't come across any other breakdown service which discriminates in this way.
    Where is there any "discrimination"?

Which other breakdown service covers 2 drivers like this for the price of one?

Isn't it just a "special deal" for married couples?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I actually find them to be very good value and I'm somewhat baffled how they can afford to keep it so cheap.

If limiting the deal to single people and married couples and civil partners keeps the cost down lower than including any two people sharing the same address, then so be it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • I called these out a couple of weeks ago.... warning lights came on with car on the way home - got home okay but decided to call them out ... was a little puzzled as this was a Sunday evening the "limit" £ 65 for home issues - however the very efficient person who answered phone said that wasn't the case so I went ahead ... I then asked do I pay the call out person and i was told no that's not happening at the moment .... got a text saying what time repair truck would arrive - it did then got a call saying was everything okay - expected some sort of cost somewhere as this is suc a cheap deal but that seemed to be it .... great service
  • I'm afraid I've had two terrible experiences with AutoAid recently, and will have to cancel my account now.

The first time was 2 months ago - I was alone (female) driving home late at night from a gig, when my Ford Fiesta broke down. I called AutoAid explaining I was on the M55 westbound towards Blackpool, and had just passed the turn off for Fleetwood and Kirkham. After waiting over an hour in the cold alone, I called to discover they had sent someone to the M65! Considering those towns mentioned aren't on the M65, how could this happen?! I put it down to human error, and did receive £25 compensation, so I accepted the offer and kept my account active.

Last week - another disaster! My battery died on the M6 on Monday, I pulled into the hard shoulder and called AutoAid. After 40 minutes someone arrived (hooray!) only to tell me, they were too busy to take me to my destination, so would have to drop me at a service station then he'll send someone else! Four hours later, I arrived home.

They don't have many recovery companies on their books seems to be the conclusion, so it's a little unprofessional. I'd like to support a smaller firm, but I'm afraid I'll have to convert to one of the bigger fish as I just can't accept this level of service (especially given how much I seem to break down!).
  • My wife and I have had excellent service for about 5 years. In that time they have moved a car to the garage of our choice with a flat battery, taken my wife's car to the garage after a blow out, and twice moved my car from Leicester to Louth, 80 miles with brake problems. On the last 2 occasions I was not asked to pay and AutoAid paid on my behalf! You can't beat the value when you consider that the price covers both my wife and I. I have not found anything better and would recommend them as a very valuable and well priced service.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Markus61 wrote: »
    My wife and I have had excellent service for about 5 years.......

Since they sold out to right choice earlier this year then the last 5 years excellent service is now irrelevant.
  • jblackmore
    jblackmore Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 November 2016 at 3:08PM
    I've been using Autoaid since 2006 (10 years), and touch wood have never had to call them out. I saw they had been bought out, but have not received any renewal by post as I normally would, and policy expires this week.

Checking website price has gone up 10%, and looking around the reviews/feedback are awful since RCI buyout.

I looked at carbreakdowncover.co.uk but to get onward cover was £60pa so I phoned my car insurer LV who quoted £11.21 for single car breakdown cover for 5 months till renewal, or £19.63 for personal+spouse so have gone with that (onward travel but no home start within 1/4 mile of home which I am fine with).

Funny that MSE website still mentions autoaid as pay and claim, when apparently it isn't any more, I suspect they haven't updated this so with recent feedback they probably should ?
  • AutoAid offer personal cover and you can include your 'spouse' in this.

However, this only applies if you are legall married, or have had a civil partnership formally registered.

If, like me, you live with your partner as if married, but have never bthered to get a wedding certificate, they won't provide your 'spouse' with the cover. I have asked them to explain this,a s it seems wholly unreasonable to me.:(
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    jblackmore wrote: »
    I've been using Autoaid since 2006 (10 years), and touch wood have never had to call them out. I saw they had been bought out, but have not received any renewal by post as I normally would, and policy expires this week.

Checking website price has gone up 10%, and looking around the reviews/feedback are awful since RCI buyout.

I looked at carbreakdowncover.co.uk but to get onward cover was £60pa so I phoned my car insurer LV who quoted £11.21 for single car breakdown cover for 5 months till renewal, or £19.63 for personal+spouse so have gone with that (onward travel but no home start within 1/4 mile of home which I am fine with).

Funny that MSE website still mentions autoaid as pay and claim, when apparently it isn't any more, I suspect they haven't updated this so with recent feedback they probably should ?

We have been with AutoAid for a few years, both pre and post RCI buyout. Post buy out, it is handy not having to pay and claim for a call out which was a pain but something I had done in the past based on the cost of the cover.

Personally on the couple of occasions we've had to call them out (again both pre and post RCI), they've been great. Call centre staff friendly and helpful and the most recent call out, they were with my OH very very quickly (this obv depends on what patrols are in the area and how busy they are). Given the price comparison versus the big names I will certainly be sticking with them for the foreseeable future.

Sheffield Fox I see your frustration but the term 'spouse' does specifically relate to a married pair - either husband or wife. So unfortunately living 'as married' is not included. To be included AutoAid would need to extend the offering to 'spouse or common law partner'
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport