Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 14th May 15, 11:35 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Tony
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 14th May 15, 11:35 AM
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion 14th May 15 at 11:35 AM
    Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

AutoAid

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
    • Have you experienced problems?
    • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 14-05-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Page 13
    • orrery
    • By orrery 3rd Mar 19, 2:23 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    orrery
    My Land Rover Defender's accelerator cable broke and I managed to roll into a car park......
    Originally posted by Isiwizzi

No-one would do that. Who would pay for the cable, particularly if you had been wrong, or they had picked up the wrong part?
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 3rd Mar 19, 2:34 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    No-one would do that. Who would pay for the cable, particularly if you had been wrong, or they had picked up the wrong part?
    Originally posted by orrery

I think the AA or RAC might. It would be more cost-effective than a long recovery. I've had AA and RAC repair things like windscreen wiper linkage, belts, ignition module so why wouldn't they do a cable?
    You are right that AutoAid just send a tow truck though; that's all they do and the most you can hope for, other than a recovery, is a new battery or wheel change.
    • RL11
    • By RL11 4th Mar 19, 8:50 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RL11
    I've been with AutoAid for a year now but never needed to call them out. It cost £43 to cover both myself and my wife for 15 months - approx 5p per person per day! I would be very grateful if they towed me to the nearest garage and astonished if they did any more. Some people need to get their expectations in check. Putting in a complaint that they didn't arrive with a genuine replacement accelerator cable and fit it at the roadside - good grief! How much did the local garage that fixed the problem charge for parts and labour?
    • Mijuli
    • By Mijuli 4th Mar 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mijuli
    Answer to query about spouse
    When you enter your details it asks for your spouse's name. It then pops up the following in a window:

"Spouse/civil partner/common law partner
    Please note that if your spouse/civil partner does not have the same surname as you, we need to see a copy of your marriage/civil partnership certificate. If you are in a Common Law Partnership you will need to provide proof of partnership, the following documents are accepted:

Joint bank statement
    Shared ownership of residential property
    Joint leases or rental agreements
    Bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    Gas
    Electricity
    Telephone
    Joint utility accounts
    Joint life insurance schedule
    The documents must be in joint names. A joint policy will be issued at this time, however we will require proof of partnership within 7 days or the additional person will be removed until we receive such proof. Please send requested proof to the below:"
    • altoftscougar
    • By altoftscougar 26th Mar 19, 10:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    altoftscougar
    Renewal AND new policies now charged £5 for "service"
    I know that AutoAid offer the cheapest breakdown deal, and deliver good service when you need it most (on breakdown, as I'll happily testify from experience), but I was disappointed to see that my renewal cost this year is exactly £5 more that last year's premium, and that £5 is entirely so-called "service charge", giving an impression that the premium has been held at last year's price. It seems like an underhand way of applying 11.5% year-on-year increase! As I said, disappointing.
    • cumbriana
    • By cumbriana 1st Apr 19, 6:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cumbriana
    Sorted out my flat battery quickly
    I was working in Whitehaven, and when I went back to the car, the battery was flat. I phoned AutoAid. They said they'd send a local garage and they'd arrive in 40 minutes. They arrived right on time and sorted my car out. Great service again. They've never let me down when I've needed them.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 1st Apr 19, 7:36 PM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I know that AutoAid offer the cheapest breakdown deal, and deliver good service when you need it most (on breakdown, as I'll happily testify from experience), but I was disappointed to see that my renewal cost this year is exactly £5 more that last year's premium, and that £5 is entirely so-called "service charge", giving an impression that the premium has been held at last year's price. It seems like an underhand way of applying 11.5% year-on-year increase! As I said, disappointing.
    Originally posted by altoftscougar
    But if itís cheaper than anywhere else itís still the best deal right?
    Be disappointed if you like but it would be silly to cut off your nose to spite your face wouldnít it?
    • Thifty Fred
    • By Thifty Fred 6th Apr 19, 9:17 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Thifty Fred
    My experience using AutoAid
    I hope this is useful to others. I've used them for about 10 years.

Generally I have found it a good service and I've had cause to use them several times.
    They are really good when it comes to getting your vehicle recovered onward either to home or to a nominated garage.
    I don't think they have ever actually fixed my car at the roadside. The closest they came was taking the undertray off completely for me.
    In one instance at around 5am my wife had a flat tyre and it took 2.5 hours for assistance to arrive and even then the guy didn't have a compressor or any means to inflate the tyre or check the spares pressure on his van!
    Be aware that the service uses a network of smaller more local providers so don't expect the same service everywhere as standards will inevitably differ.
    That said, I'm still buying it as its much better value than the major players.
    • chlowie
    • By chlowie 15th Apr 19, 5:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chlowie
    Excellent Service
    Broke down on M5 with a flat tyre, excellent service local Recovery arrived within the hour regular calls from AutoAid and Recovery company (including safety advice) The wheel was changed and there was no charge Great service I have always used RAC or AA this was at least as good a service with better communication than either of the aforementioned at a much lower price
    Last edited by chlowie; 15-04-2019 at 5:48 PM. Reason: title
    • davidm_uk
    • By davidm_uk 18th Apr 19, 2:59 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    davidm_uk
    I've just been looking at their Policy Summary (via the sign up web page, right at the end, "I confirm that I have read....." blah blah, Policy Summary.

The "What is insured" and "What is not insured" seem in places to be confused if not downright contradictory. Since at the bottom of that document it says " Please refer to your policy wording for full
    terms and conditions" it's probably not worth asking for your opinions on the Policy Summary, but I can't find online a copy of the full policy terms and conditions.

Does anyone have an up to date electronic copy of these, and would be willing to send me (or post somewhere I can access them). Any personal details can be deleted.
    • jblackmore
    • By jblackmore 24th Apr 19, 4:39 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    jblackmore
    The documents can be downloaded from their website including the full policy wording
    https://autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/document-downloads/
    but the summary is definitely contradictory and confusing, which isn't filling me with confidence ! (eg says not covered within 1 mile of home, where the full wording says you are covered to nearest garage or roadside repair).

I renewed our autoaid today, I've paid for this for 11 of the last 12 years and never called them out (touch wood), so am happy to go with best value and hope i don't need them or have difficulties arguing terms and conditions by the roadside!

I was pleased last year that they increased the weight limit for motorhomes from 2.5t to 3.5t, which would mean we would be covered in our van.

No mention of this changing in renewal, but the small print of their policy document has reverted to old 2.5t wording, so not sure if this is out of date or if they've removed the cover ??
    • athonjon
    • By athonjon 24th Apr 19, 11:22 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    athonjon
    Hi. Does anyone know of any current discount codes for Autoaid? Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,784Posts Today

7,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin