Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a 5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1867
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jul 18, 3:44 PM
    • 22,325 Posts
    • 11,902 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Unfortunately I have no paperwork regarding the cards and the dates are only approximate
    Originally posted by ptlshooper
    I doubt you'll have any success with such scant information.

You cannot even evidence an account, let alone any PPI.

Sorry.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 16th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I used Resolver to attempt a PPI claim regarding charges on a current account with Lloyds.

I always knew it was 'iffy' because I have no records of the bank account - I left the area, and opened an account with a different bank some months later....I WAS able to give my old address and a rough idea of when I lived there.

I was surprised when I got two letters from Lloyds acknowledging the two accounts I had previously had with them...one was my student account (and I don't think there were ever any charges on this), the other would be the account I was questioning.

About a week later I was told that one account had no PPI issues (fine , that is the really old student account)!!!8230;.and then a week or two letter a similar letter saying that they could detect no PPI issues connected with the second account.

I know the amount would have been peanuts to some, but it was really the principle of the thing...I was all but coerced into taking on this new account, and have mental health issues.

I somehow doubt it would be worth pushing it, so I will just tell myself I tried and that's all I could do.
    • freddie2
    • By freddie2 16th Jul 18, 9:17 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    freddie2
    Success!

I had a credit card with Beneficial which I took out in 1994. It was taken out over the phone and I was persuaded to take out PPI even though I worked for the NHS so had good sick pay arrangements and had savings. I tried to make a mis selling claim in about 2007 but this was rejected and I therefore cancelled the policy.
    I long since paid off the card and got rid of the paperwork. Anyway when having a bit of a sort out I found the account details so I filled in HSBCs template ( they bought Beneficial out in 2008) and sent it off. A few days later I had a call from HSBC saying they couldn!!!8217;t find the account detail and asking for more info which I gave. About two weeks after that I got a call asking me questions regarding my employment etc.
    On Friday I got a letter from HSBC making me an offer of 16,847 !!!!
    I apparently paid 4863 in PPI , the rest is interest.
    Cannot believe that I have been sucessful in claiming that far back with only the account number as evidence!
    • ptlshooper
    • By ptlshooper 17th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ptlshooper
    ptlshooper
    Yes that's what I thought, I'm good at keeping paperwork but even I don't keep it for 30 years! I just honestly can't remember if I had PPi on the card so was just asking them the question.
    Thanks
    • ptlshooper
    • By ptlshooper 17th Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ptlshooper
    ptlshooper
    thank you dunstonh unfortunately I have no records as it was about 30 years ago (I'm good at keeping records but not that long) I don't know if I had PPI or not so was just asking Barclays the question really.
    • G Balm
    • By G Balm 18th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    G Balm
    Hi All

My mother is a PPI catch 22 situation. She is making a PPI claim against Santander and due to the fact that it was only my father (died 3 years ago) that signed the PPI agreement on their joint mortgage then they are asking for a Deed of Confirmation. We contacted the Sheriff Court (Scotland) to complete a 'large estate' application but they stated that we must include the value of the PPI claim. Santander wont release (after numerous requests and solicitors letters) this information. So Santander request a Deed of Confirmation to process the claim and we cant get that as they wont give us the value of the PPI claim!! Someone please help!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    • 22,325 Posts
    • 11,902 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    So Santander request a Deed of Confirmation to process the claim and we cant get that as they wont give us the value of the PPI claim!! Someone please help!
    Originally posted by G Balm
    You'll have to make a guess based on how long ago the mortgage was taken out, how much the monthly PPI payment was, how long the mortgage ran for and add 8% simple interest.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi All

My mother is a PPI catch 22 situation. She is making a PPI claim against Santander and due to the fact that it was only my father (died 3 years ago) that signed the PPI agreement on their joint mortgage then they are asking for a Deed of Confirmation. We contacted the Sheriff Court (Scotland) to complete a 'large estate' application but they stated that we must include the value of the PPI claim. Santander wont release (after numerous requests and solicitors letters) this information. So Santander request a Deed of Confirmation to process the claim and we cant get that as they wont give us the value of the PPI claim!! Someone please help!
    Given that the majority of MPPI complaints are rejected as it's a very useful product and rarely miss-sold, a guess of 0 is probably reasonable
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 22,325 Posts
    • 11,902 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    We contacted the Sheriff Court (Scotland) to complete a 'large estate' application but they stated that we must include the value of the PPI claim.
    Do understand that you are not making a "claim", you are making a complaint which may well ultimately be rejected. This is why the Bank will not release even the potential "value" of any refund they may provide at a future date.

To be honest, it sounds to me as if you are chasing the wrong documentation, all you should really need is proof that your Mother has inherited your late father's estate.

But do realise that, even if you get over these hurdles, there is no guarantee that any complaint will be successful.
    • Catsmum1
    • By Catsmum1 19th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Catsmum1
    PPI success
    I used the forms on the MSE website to claim back any mis-sold PPI. Didn’t hold out much hope as the loans/credit cards were closed/settled years ago. Egg Card couldn’t find any evidence of PPI (in fact l think l cancelled it and got a refund of fees paid). I did, however, have success with. Barclaycard (Barclayloans) - l had 2 loans that were paid back years ago, however, it turns out the my Complaint of Mis-sold PPI was upheld and l received, this morning, a cheque just short of 13000!
    Marks and Spencer’s sent me a cheque for 1000, they called but didn’t leave any message. I didn’t even realis it was them!
    Barclaycard paid out 9500 in respect of missold PPI on a Goldfish Credit Card.
    Just heard today from Co-op bank who’ve offered me 11600 in respect of missold PPI. Papers signed and returned.
    Excellent outcomes all round. All thanks to MSE and Resolver.
    Last edited by Catsmum1; 19-09-2018 at 8:05 PM. Reason: Update
    • Medic2000
    • By Medic2000 29th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Medic2000
    I am new to this site and have recently just got around to reclaiming PPI. I phoned Barclaycard directly about my credit card and within about 10 mins they had processed my complaint. 3 weeks later had a cheque for 21,272.35. Absolutely amazed and could not believe how a quick phone call could result in receiving this amount, apparently I had been paying PPI since 1990 and didn't know.

This gave me the confidence to look at all my other cards and loans. I am currently in the process with Lloyds about past loans and a credit card. Not as easy with them they have sent out a lengthy questionnaire, which I completed and then they have phoned me to ask all the same questions that I have already answered on the questionnaire. Still waiting for a response.

MBNA had a similar process, this time a much simpler questionnaire followed very quickly by a final decision letter stating that my claim was rejected due to the PPI on my account was more than 6 years ago. They also claim to have written to me more than 3 years ago giving me the opportunity to raise my complaint and should have been reasonably aware of the situation then, I have no recall of this. They have agreed to give me a Plevin payout of 1,740.

Has anybody else had a similar situation to this if so how did it all work out? I probably would have left it at that but due to the successful Barclaycard payout I think I should take the MBNA decision to the financial ombudsman.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 29th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    Nasqueron

MBNA had a similar process, this time a much simpler questionnaire followed very quickly by a final decision letter stating that my claim was rejected due to the PPI on my account was more than 6 years ago. They also claim to have written to me more than 3 years ago giving me the opportunity to raise my complaint and should have been reasonably aware of the situation then, I have no recall of this. They have agreed to give me a Plevin payout of 1,740.

Has anybody else had a similar situation to this if so how did it all work out? I probably would have left it at that but due to the successful Barclaycard payout I think I should take the MBNA decision to the financial ombudsman.
    Originally posted by Medic2000

If you moved house you could have some argument that the time bar is invalid if they sent the letter to the old house but if you have not moved then no your complaint is over and the Plevin payout is a bonus. Post is deemed delivered 2 days after posting first class. The bank logically only need to show it was posted. The FOS cannot do anything about the time bar if it was correctly applied, that is the law.
    • KRD
    • By KRD 7th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    KRD
    Lloyds TSB. No paperwork. Phoned and received forms, which outlined 7 loans and 5 credit cards, dating back into the 90s. Filled out to the best of my memory but had no details. A few telephone questions from the bank. So far, PPI refunds on the loans, amounting to 23,000. Utterly thrilled and stunned. They are still processing the credit cards...All this from a phone call - do it!
    • belfast_gal
    • By belfast_gal 7th Aug 18, 7:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    belfast_gal
    I took everyone's advice on this forum and sent a Resolver complaint for Plevin to every card/loan/mortgage I could remember.

I'm a long time follower of MSE so most of my responses have been 'you didn't have PPI on this' - because I always turned it down.

Got a cheque for 80 from Capital One though!

My biggest claim has to be for 'Paymentcare' that I took out with my Abbey National (now Santander) mortgage. They sent me a lengthy questionnaire about my circumstances at the time, however I made it clear in the claim that I am pursuing Plevin not mis-selling. So I have ignored the questionnaire in the hopes that they will come back with something. Fingers crossed!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Aug 18, 12:00 AM
    • 22,325 Posts
    • 11,902 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    My biggest claim has to be for 'Paymentcare' that I took out with my Abbey National (now Santander) mortgage. They sent me a lengthy questionnaire about my circumstances at the time, however I made it clear in the claim that I am pursuing Plevin not mis-selling. So I have ignored the questionnaire in the hopes that they will come back with something. Fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by belfast_gal
    You need to understand that "ignoring" their questionnaire will not somehow net you a Plevin refund.

Plevin refunds are only awarded on rejected PPI complaints and it's not automatic even then.

What date did your mortgage finish?

If not recently, its unlikely to come under the Plevin ruling and, whatever you do, you'll get nothing.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I took everyone's advice on this forum and sent a Resolver complaint for Plevin to every card/loan/mortgage I could remember.

I'm a long time follower of MSE so most of my responses have been 'you didn't have PPI on this' - because I always turned it down.

Got a cheque for 80 from Capital One though!

Originally posted by belfast_gal

Cap one is in line with either Plevin or autopay due to value - it is possible to have PPI but never pay it if your balances are cleared each month.

As Money says above, you cannot ask for Plevin, you complain about PPI and if they reject a miss-selling complaint, they will look at Plevin. Plevin does not apply outside of this context.
    • Dawn1966
    • By Dawn1966 21st Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Dawn1966
    Success! Lloyds TSB No paperwork, but I did check back as far as I could go (to 2003) with my online bank account (now just TSB) so was able to quiz them about 2 mortgage accounts, filled in the form, 1 hour phone call where I was very vague as the mortgages went back to 1995, and a month later was paid back 6k. I claimed the Plevin rule.
    Wondering if I should have accepted the first offer, though I didn't have much chance not to as they transferred it to my bank account within days of the letter.
    Definitely worth checking.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 19,053 Posts
    • 20,296 Thanks
    zx81
    Wondering if I should have accepted the first offer,
    Originally posted by Dawn1966
    The only reason to reject it would be if you had clear evidence it was calculated incorrectly or you didn't want it at all.
    • applemad
    • By applemad 21st Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    applemad
    PPI Success !
    What were you reclaiming: Credit Card
    Who was the provider: Lloyds Bank
    How much did you get back: 1700'ish before tax deduction
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Letter

Anyone who hasn't checked this really should, and I just want to thank this website and also the 'Which' website for their free service to claim ..

I was fairly confident that I had a valid claim dating back to 1998, but had no evidence, bank statements or anything. When the forms arrived I saw how many pages there were and also the way they seemed to imply I needed as much evidence as I could get, and I basically gave up at this point.

To their credit and professionalism, Lloyds bank actually chased me! I spoke to a really nice guy on the phone, explained that I had all but given up thinking I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, not having any written evidence at all, however he spent a good 30 - 40 minutes talking to me on the phone and I just answered honestly to everything I could remember about when I was sold the idea of the credit card, I told him I didn't want anything that I wasn't entitled to, but just that I had been self employed at the time I had the card and was very confident I had being paying for PPI that I wouldn't have been able to benefit from, and also the fact that when I had the card, I remembered the lady saying to me that I would be protected if I was unable to pay through losing my job (I don't know why I didn't twig at the time! duh!). They asked me lots of detail and if I didn't know the answer then I told them as much, like I say, I didn't want anything other than what I was entitled to, and if that was nothing then so be it.

I logged into my bank account yesterday, only to find that I was over 1500 better off than I was expecting to be at this time of the month, and then today the letter arrived confirming that my claim had been successful. All I can do is heavily praise both Lloyds Bank and also their staff for 'doing the right thing by me', this is so uncommon in the modern world we live in, and particularly when you hear all the horror stories to do with the banking sector.

Thank you again Money Saving Expert, and WHICH, I can't believe the outcome of this and its even more satisfying not having to pay anyone else a silly commission charge!

CP
    • steviedodds
    • By steviedodds 22nd Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steviedodds
    My wife and I were offered a settlement figure by Bank Of Scotland of over 5K over 8 weeks ago. We received a letter today claiming that because we had an IVA we are not entitled to our payout. The IVA was settled in full (never missed a single payment) in September 2014 and we have now been told we cannot have this money. Where do we stand?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,328Posts Today

6,553Users online

Martin's Twitter