Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a 5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1862
    • Miss D 123
    • By Miss D 123 1st Apr 18, 1:33 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miss D 123
    Yes I am. Thank you for replying is a mortagage protection plan the same as ppi? I took it out with the rbs on behalf of the Halifax or I could not have a mortagage I'm trying to sort it out but no one is giving me a straight answer . I was totally mislead on the policy.
    Last edited by Miss D 123; 01-04-2018 at 1:36 AM. Reason: Missed out information and new to this
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 1st Apr 18, 1:39 AM
    • 92,145 Posts
    • 59,306 Thanks
    dunstonh
    is a mortagage protection plan the same as ppi?
    Mortgage protection plan was a pretty generic name used by lots of provider covering the different types of insurances people take out to cover their mortgages.
    I took it out with the rbs on behalf of the Halifax or I could not have a mortagage
    Maybe you couldnt. Life assurance (which is a mortgage protection plan) was frequently mandatory until the early 2000s.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 1st Apr 18, 9:02 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Thank you for replying is a mortagage protection plan the same as ppi?
    Originally posted by Miss D 123
    PPI stands for Payment Protection Insurance - an insurance policy to cover your monthly repayments on a financial product, such as a loan, mortgage or credit card - if you are ill or out of work (with conditions of course).

A mortgage protection plan is often a package policy that comprises several components - one of which might be a PPI type policy, along with maybe life and/or critical illness cover (they will pay a lump sum to repay the whole borrowing, rather than just cover your monthly repayments). So if you feel that your mortgage protection policy was mis-sold to you, it would only be the PPI portion of that policy (mine is called MRC - Mortgage Repayment Cover) that you could complain about - not the other aspects of it.

One of the things that mortgage lenders assess when recommending mortgage protection is whether you have independent savings or other arrangements that would cover the mortgage if you can't keep up payments, hence as Moneyineptitude said, without some other finance in place, they're minded to recommend protection as you're likely to end in a financial pickle without it.
    Last edited by BooJewels; 01-04-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Additions for clarity.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 1st Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Just remember that the length of time PPI would pay out for (2 years or more in some cases), you would have to have vast savings to cover ALL your bills in the event of a long term period of being unable to work, very few people have even the advised 2-3 months salary in the bank, let alone a year or more and the FOS routinely reject claims that parents could pay the bills due to the impact on their savings etc
    • Miss D 123
    • By Miss D 123 1st Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miss D 123
    Thank you for that. They didn't recommend, they insisted other wise no mortagage. I was also lead to believe there would be a lump sum at the end of the policy but is not the case, which I found out recently. I could have found better myself elsewhere if I was given the choice. Make the money I have been paying be more beneficial to me. I say I was totally mis sold the policy. It reduces each year as well and would not cover what is left. I'll just have to go back to the ombudsman . Thank you again and happy Easter.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 19,999 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'll just have to go back to the ombudsman .
    Originally posted by Miss D 123
    The Ombudsman can't help you unless you've already made a complaint to the mortgage provider and been rejected.

Have you checked whether the mortgage protection WAS indeed compulsory?

Remember, you have only been mis-sold if they told you their insurance was required when it actually wasn't.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 92,145 Posts
    • 59,306 Thanks
    dunstonh
    They didn't recommend, they insisted other wise no mortagage.
    When was this?

In the 90s, a number of lenders had mortgage deals that did require an insurance purchase as a cross subsidy to get the deal. That is allowed as long as the insurance is suitable.

Up until the early 2000s. Life assurance was frequently mandatory for a mortgage. Again allowed.

Most mortgages in the UK are arranged by brokers/advisers. Many of those require a purchase of insurance through them to get the free mortgage advice. Allowed as long as the insurance is suitable.

I was also lead to believe there would be a lump sum at the end of the policy but is not the case, which I found out recently.
    So, what insurance do you have then?

I could have found better myself elsewhere if I was given the choice.
    Possibly. However, seeing as you havent told us what you have, its hard to say.

I say I was totally mis sold the policy.
    I say there is not enough to go on.

It reduces each year as well and would not cover what is left.
    That suggests life assurance. A decreasing term assurance is suitable for a repayment mortgage.

I'll just have to go back to the ombudsman .
    Making a PPI complaint when you dont even have PPI is not a good idea. You dont even have access to the FOS yet.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Lisa45
    • By Lisa45 2nd Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Lisa45
    Hi - a quick success story...
    After a rejected PPI credit card claim early last year with RBS, I was surprised to receive the "Plevin" letter last November. I filled it in, sent it back and forgot all about it, not expecting anything from it. Got their decision last month and a lovely cheque popped through door last week - just over 2000 received - thank you RBS!
    • EmergencyNurse
    • By EmergencyNurse 5th Apr 18, 12:17 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    EmergencyNurse
    I have successfully claimed reimbursement from Experian for insurance on CreditExpert and also from Alliance & Leicester (Santander) for PPI added to a loan in 2004. 244 and 1.4k respectively. I used the Resolver tool. I was able to provide indisputable evidence and everything went through smoothly.

I was also successfully reimbursed for overdraft protection and PPI from Barclays a few years ago resulting in 1000's by simply filling in the claim form provided online.
    Debt March 2018 27,596 DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2022
    • kcg80
    • By kcg80 6th Apr 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kcg80
    GE Money Card, (Curries Store Card)
    Paid out by Santander
    After Tax 1072.62
    Husband filled in a form online, took 3 months due to how old it was but very painless and effortless.

Lloyds loans (4 in my name)
    After Tax 2800.77
    Filled in the online form, had a text at the 8 week mark to say in was being finalised, finalised letter turned up at the start of week 9 and payment in the bank within a week.

Lloyds loan (4 in husbands name)
    After Tax 16305.86
    Filled in the form online, husband had a phone call within a week to discuss some details, text last week (week 9) to say they were finalising it, and then this morning an extremely healthy bank balance but no letter yet (week 10), husband is about to phone Lloyds to make sure it's not a mistake.

Edit to add....it's not a mistake and there is a letter in the post, now to wait for it so we can sort out paying HMRC the extra tax owed on it

Another edit to add....we've only ever had one loan running at a time using either the husbands name or mine, we'd then consolidate and start again, this started nearly 20yrs ago, we're now on our last loan which doesn't have ppi and which we've been overpaying for nearly a year so we could clear it up early and actually start saving and no longer use credit. The husband has now gone to the bank to get this paid off as it wouldn't let me do it online....sorry I have a bit of brain fog happening at the moment, in total shock!
    Last edited by kcg80; 06-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    • Dawn6Nov
    • By Dawn6Nov 9th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dawn6Nov
    Ppi/plevin
    I made a claim for PPI against Santander (Alliance and Leicester when mortgage was taken out December 1991) via resolver in February. I had a couple of letters telling me they were looking into it and last week had a payment of 2129 paid into my account with just numbers which changed to Santander a few days later but no explanation of what it was. Today I received a letter saying my PPI claim was rejected as it would have been suitable for my needs etc but the payment was for unfair commission they had taken.

The letter also states if not happy with outcome I can refer complaint to Ombudsman within 6 months. As I already have had money paid into account can I still do this and if so do I just escalate it with Resolver or have to write separately. Havent a clue what I'm doing so was glad of the payment but still paying 35 a month.

Any advice would be welcome TIA
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 92,145 Posts
    • 59,306 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I made a claim for PPI against Santander (Alliance and Leicester when mortgage was taken out December 1991) via resolver in February. I had a couple of letters telling me they were looking into it and last week had a payment of 2129 paid into my account with just numbers which changed to Santander a few days later but no explanation of what it was. Today I received a letter saying my PPI claim was rejected as it would have been suitable for my needs etc but the payment was for unfair commission they had taken.

The letter also states if not happy with outcome I can refer complaint to Ombudsman within 6 months. As I already have had money paid into account can I still do this and if so do I just escalate it with Resolver or have to write separately. Havent a clue what I'm doing so was glad of the payment but still paying 35 a month.

Any advice would be welcome TIA
    Originally posted by Dawn6Nov
    You expect a mortgage PPI complaint to fail as that is the most common outcome. They would have told you why it failed in their response. You havent mentioned your complaint reason or the rejection reasons. So, we cant really comment beyond saying you got the most statistically likely outcome.

Making another complaint on the same basis isnt going to get you anywhere. You cant keep complaining but changing the communication method.
    • deanandcaro
    • By deanandcaro 9th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deanandcaro
    Dear john from Nationwide. Mortgage
    2002-2011 had ppi then 2011- present they switched us to lifestyle protector.
    Now saying not eligible as it was cancelled in 2011.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 19,999 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    The letter also states if not happy with outcome I can refer complaint to Ombudsman within 6 months. As I already have had money paid into account can I still do this
    Originally posted by Dawn6Nov
    The Bank's letter will already detail how you can do this. You've actually had a part refund. This was only of the Commission paid and is due to the Plevin Case which decided undisclosed commission should be refunded even to those whose PPI complaints fail.

However, on what basis do you intend to refer the complaint to the Ombudsman? Look at the reasons why the Bank has said your complaint was rejected, can you counter these reasons? If not, then you can expect the Ombudsman to reject you too.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Apr 18, 1:29 PM
    • 19,999 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Mortgage
    Originally posted by deanandcaro
    You are therefore time barred under the six year rule. You won't have been forcibly switched to "Lifestyle Protector" in 2011, you must have agreed to it. Why didn't you complain about the PPI at the time it was cancelled?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 92,145 Posts
    • 59,306 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Dear john from Nationwide. Mortgage
    Originally posted by deanandcaro
    Not eligible for what?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Apr 18, 2:06 PM
    • 19,999 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Not eligible for what?
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    To complain. Sounds like they are being time-barred.
    • dufc001
    • By dufc001 12th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dufc001
    Just a quick post about my success story.

I wrote to Barclaycard last year to claim PPI and I was declined. After reading about the Plevin decision I decided to push back on their decision and wrote to them again. I received a letter this week to advise that they had now found in my favour and I have been awarded 11,600 from 3 cards I had with them over the years.

I am very happy and would urge anyone not to give up.
    • cosygoals
    • By cosygoals 17th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cosygoals
    A success story!
    I contacted Very as I remember cancelling my shopping insurance back in 2003. 6 weeks later after a few forms to complete have had a cheque for 5,968! Just in time for buying my first home which we exchange on this week!
    Slimming world member since Jan 2018 - lost 8lbs so far!
    On First Time House Buying mission
    • Islander1
    • By Islander1 21st Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Islander1
    What were you reclaiming: Started as an online flexible loan in 2003, then became a fixed loan in 2008
    Who was the provider: Cahoot then Santander
    How much did you get back: 19721
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Santander online form along with a letter.
    Santander asked for more information soon after complaining. They took the full 8 weeks. My letter arrived today telling me my complaint was upheld along with a breakdown. Checked my account and money went in to my account yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,243Posts Today

4,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin