Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1854
    • danimac
    • By danimac 17th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danimac
    i had a clydesdale credit card and lost my job and defaulted,it was sold on but debt agency got banned by fca,so ppi claimed and advised but not obliged to contact debt agency,no agencies chasing debt any longer that was 12 years ago
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 93,027 Posts
    • 60,415 Thanks
    dunstonh
    i had a clydesdale credit card and lost my job and defaulted,it was sold on but debt agency got banned by fca,so ppi claimed and advised but not obliged to contact debt agency,no agencies chasing debt any longer that was 12 years ago
    Originally posted by danimac
    Only bankruptcy requires you to tell the official receiver. You dont need to with debt management plans.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 16,335 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi not sure if i'm posting in the right place, last month I received a letter from Barclaycard telling me I was' not entitled to a ppi refund as they couldn't find and evidence that I had taken it out and basically wouldn't be looking into it any further. Today whilst clearing out some old paperwork I found some statements from 2011 showing that I did indeed have PPi, what is the best thing to do? should I write back with copies of the statements that I have found or take it to ombudsman?
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings £10,000 Holiday spends £1000/£349.02 Kitchen savings stage 1 £1500/£160.24
    Amazon vouchers
    £9
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    -taff
    Write back to them.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 16,335 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Write back to them.
    Originally posted by -taff
    Thanks, I have made copies of the statements and highlighted PPi payments and written a letter,so fingers crossed.
    Long term savings £10,000 Holiday spends £1000/£349.02 Kitchen savings stage 1 £1500/£160.24
    Amazon vouchers
    £9
    • Timbobo
    • By Timbobo 18th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Timbobo
    Asda Credit Card.
    I had a Asda Credit Card but couldn't find the account details. I used Resolver to make a complaint against Santander. At first they said another company ran the card. I wrote to this other company, they immediately wrote back me and said Santander had the account. I wrote back to Santander but they couldn't find any account. I almost gave up on the PPI claim but I had one more look for an old statement or card . In a old bag in a cupboard I found a very old statement. This was sent to Santander and within a week they admitted I had a Asda Credit Card.

The PPI claim was turned down. The reason given was that I ticked the box accepting the Terms and conditions for PPI and had a cooling off period to decline it. To be honest I don't remember ticking anything. I wrote to the Ombudsman but had no joy.

However, Santander wrote back to me again offering PLEVIN. They offered me just over £1000 which I gladly accepted.
    • Peter rabbit
    • By Peter rabbit 20th Dec 17, 10:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peter rabbit
    I applied for PPI from littlewoods and I was told By the ombudsman I was not entitled to it. Yet shop direct sent me a cheque for £15 !!!!!!!!! I shopped with them for years and spent a lot of money with them. Could I be owed more. I havenít cashed the cheque yet.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    • 20,466 Posts
    • 11,344 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    shop direct sent me a cheque for £15 !!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Peter rabbit
    Don't spend it all at once!

It's a Merry Xmas for you!
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 24th Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 4,798 Posts
    • 16,335 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi not sure if i'm posting in the right place, last month I received a letter from Barclaycard telling me I was' not entitled to a ppi refund as they couldn't find and evidence that I had taken it out and basically wouldn't be looking into it any further. Today whilst clearing out some old paperwork I found some statements from 2011 showing that I did indeed have PPi, what is the best thing to do? should I write back with copies of the statements that I have found or take it to ombudsman?
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid
    I posted everything off Monday and yesterday I received a cheque for £984 . I am quite shocked how quickly they paid out, I thought it would take weeks.

Happy Christmas
    Amazon vouchers
    £9
    • thehistorygirl
    • By thehistorygirl 29th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    thehistorygirl
    I was rejected for PPI on all my cards. However I submitted Plevin claims to Calital One and NatWest in November. Still waiting on NatWest, but today Cap One have written to say they will be refunding me £393.25. The amount of commission overpayment was only just over £100 so to get back neatry £400 with interest etc was a pleasant surprise!
    LBM 7/1/14
    Debt Jan 14 £5443
    Debt Mar 15 £4734
    Debt Dec 2017 £2233 less £393.25 Plevin payment £1870
    Another Plevin payout Feb 2018 taking balance to £1081
    Updated DFD Dec 2018!!! This year
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 31st Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Hello all,

I originally sumpter firms for a mis-sold PPI in 2010 or 2011 when the scandal first broke. My bank HSBC rejected my claim (why I can!!!8217;t remember now) so I accepted it and forgot all about it. In October this year they wrote to me saying the rules had changed on PPI and was I still interested in it being investigated. They sent me a form, which I needed to fill out with my name, address and bank details which I did and sent it off. A week or so after that they sent me a larger form asking for my employment details at the time, address, reason for loan, why I think it was mid-sold, if I got any sick pay at work etc. It took me 10 minutes to fill it out and send it off.

I log onto my account on 28th to move my share of the bills into our joint account and there I see PPI redress £1185 !!!55357;!!!56881; I honestly expected nothing having previously rejected. So very pleased with the result.
    • beccabee1979
    • By beccabee1979 1st Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    beccabee1979
    I have just had to go through ombudsman to claim from vanquis and various other historic store cards. Vanquis have now caved in and are paying me back, don't know how much yet, but I should hear in the next week or so. Am waiting on the outcomes of the other ones.
    • cariad63
    • By cariad63 4th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    cariad63
    Debenhams Store Card PPI refund
    Hi all, I had a Debenhams Card years ago (was much less savvy then!). Reading recently about the upcoming deadline I decided to follow some of the links from Moneysavingexpert. They put me through to Santander who are handling all Debenhams PPI complaints. So £2000 better off now, for a 5 min phone call. Thanks so much MSE!
    • Benby59
    • By Benby59 4th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Benby59
    I took out a loan with Ocean Finance for 20 years back in 2002. I have tried various claims companies and the Financial Ombudsman but the answers I get is its pre 2005 when these companies were not regulated or the broker is no longer in business. I know I have little chance of getting my money back but I know I was miss sold PPI and I will still be paying until 2022. That to me seems wrong.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 4th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    -taff
    You can try the underwriter but they don't have liability either, but it's your last chance to complain to someone.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 93,027 Posts
    • 60,415 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I took out a loan with Ocean Finance for 20 years back in 2002. I have tried various claims companies and the Financial Ombudsman but the answers I get is its pre 2005 when these companies were not regulated or the broker is no longer in business. I know I have little chance of getting my money back but I know I was miss sold PPI and I will still be paying until 2022. That to me seems wrong.
    Originally posted by Benby59
    If you think about it logically, there isnt anyone to pay you any money.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • warburtonrichard
    • By warburtonrichard 5th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    warburtonrichard
    What were you reclaiming: Credit card PPI
    Who was the provider: Capital One
    How much did you get back: £426
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Email only

I had PPI on my capital one card for a few years when I opened the account in 2001. I used the online checker and then I sent a quick email using the resolver.co.uk template. No access requests, no lengthy to-ing and fro-ing.

Three weeks later a confirmation letter is followed by a cheque. Job done. Don't be afraid and do it yourself.
    • warburtonrichard
    • By warburtonrichard 5th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    warburtonrichard
    What were you reclaiming: Credit card PPI
    Who was the provider: MBNA
    How much did you get back: £1809
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Email only

I had PPI on my MBNA card for a few years when I opened the account in 2001. I literally sent a quick email using the resolver.co.uk template. It was so east.

Five weeks later a confirmation letter is followed by a cheque. Job done. I had no idea how easy it would be.
    • alandria
    • By alandria 6th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    alandria
    Just wanted to say thanks! Claim made to Capital one on 21/11/17, cheque for £2798.92 received yesterday all done using Resolver tool. Thank you to this forum for the advice that I have been able to view as a newbie.
    • prodigy9
    • By prodigy9 6th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    prodigy9
    Nothing to Lose, Something to Gain.
    We were reclaiming PPI on past loans and credit cards from way back. We actually closed those accounts in 2002 (actually we were as good as asked to leave our credit history and money management was that atrocious.) so the PPI was from some time before that.

Our accounts were with Halifax. We were quite aggrieved by their treatment of us which was probably their way of getting rid of us. Each month we paid a fortune in missed direct debit and O/D charges so were were constantly in debt to the bank.

We received one lot of PPI refund of £5000 on loans and then nearly £500 on a credit card, all in time for Christmas. We have one more credit card that we have to claim on. The credit card refund was curious because when I initially contacted them by phone I was told there was no PPI owing on that card. This didn't surprise me as we were always so short of money then that I wouldn't have opted for PPI. However they sent the forms and I completed them as best I could and so was surprised to receive a payment some time later. I see that refund as compensation for their treatment of us and I'm glad to say the only debt we have now is a manageable mortgage.

We used the MSE PPI templates and claiming was very straightforward. I would urge anyone to not use a PPI claims service if possible as you will lose a percentage of the refund to them for doing very little work.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter