Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 4:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 14
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Were those posted (not purchased) on the same day?
    Have you asked saga/nationwide why their rate was so bad?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 62,690 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Were those posted (not purchased) on the same day?
    Have you asked saga/nationwide why their rate was so bad?
    Originally posted by lisyloo

Yesterday. Bought, then checked. I am just glad that I resisted the temptation of the Ralph Lauren handbag!

I cannot access the Saga account, as Iíve forgotten log on. I will try Nationwide, but again, I forgot my card reader so will have to use memorable info.

Martin does state that Saga is a brilliant card.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    eDicky
    Later I checked on my TMM app and those were the figures that came up.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    TMM? Do you mean travelmoneymax? That is for UK bureaux exchange rates....
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Yesterday. Bought, then checked.
    Halifax takes several days to come through.
    The "pending" amount is not always the same as what is finally charged so you cannot know what Halifax are charging you yet.

I cannot access the Saga account, as I!!!8217;ve forgotten log on. I will try Nationwide, but again, I forgot my card reader so will have to use memorable info.
    I don't know what TMM is but are you sure their information is correct? especially in the light of my comment above i.e. you won't know halifax rate for several days.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 62,690 Thanks
    pollypenny
    TMM? Do you mean travelmoneymax? That is for UK bureaux exchange rates....
    Originally posted by eDicky

No. Martin created an app with two settings:
    a)Travel money

b). Spend abroad

You can enter your method of payment, name of card etc and save it.
    Then you can input purchase cost in the relevant currency and the app gives the cost in GBP.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 62,690 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Halifax takes several days to come through.
    The "pending" amount is not always the same as what is finally charged so you cannot know what Halifax are charging you yet.

I don't know what TMM is but are you sure their information is correct? especially in the light of my comment above i.e. you won't know halifax rate for several days.

I donít have Halifax, that was my point. Saga and Nationwide rates are usually just a day behind and, unless something drastic has happened to the pound, are usually close.

I travel to the USA twice a year, as well as on a 'normal' holiday, do quite used to exchange rates. Never had this with Nationwide or Saga before.

• lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Nationwide and Saga use the visa rate (plus and commission but this would be around 2%).
    Halifax use the mastercard rate.

Sounds like a glitch in the app to me as I don't think they should be that far apart.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    eDicky
    No. Martin created an app with two settings:
    a)Travel money

b). Spend abroad

You can enter your method of payment, name of card etc and save it.
    Then you can input purchase cost in the relevant currency and the app gives the cost in GBP.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I don't see any such app available on Google Play so perhaps it's defunct, rates no longer updated and you are looking at a figure from last year.

The daily Visa rate that your cards gives, currently 1.38334, is available here:

https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

I think the Saga card puts no markup on the rate for purchses, also Nationwide if it's the FlexPlus. I see that Visa have an app, promoted on that page, you could install it in place of TMM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    might depend on which card you have, but 4 out of 5 scenarios on nationwides own website have 2%

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges

I'm sure your right about flexplus just saying people need to be careful if it only applies to 1 card in the range.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    eDicky
    might depend on which card you have, but 4 out of 5 scenarios on nationwides own website have 2%

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges

I'm sure your right about flexplus just saying people need to be careful if it only applies to 1 card in the range.
    Don't be so sure I'm right, I'm often too lazy to check and now I see that I was mistaken - it's the Nationwide Select credit card that has 0% exchange load for purchases (FlexPlus credit card doesn't exist!).

MSE has a handy card fee checker - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#checker
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 62,690 Thanks
    pollypenny
    As I said on post 266, I am a regular traveller,,as well as a follower of MSE advice. Of course, I have cards which are commission-free for travelling.

I have checked Nationwide!!!8217;s web site and indeed it should be the full Visa rate. It must be a glitch in the app indeed. It is up to date, though.

I have downloaded the Visa app too. I reread Martin!!!8217;s advice on cards, in case I was losing my marbles.

• lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    It's been a couple of days now. Have you checked what rates you actually got?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 62,690 Thanks
    pollypenny
    It's been a couple of days now. Have you checked what rates you actually got?

No. I cannot do that, as I cannot log on to my account. According to the Nationwide website, the rate is the full Visa one, though.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 62,690 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Just had a response from the MSE team re the TMM app.

It is not compatible with upgrades, so no longer being maintained. That will be why you could not get it, eDicky.

I should have bought that Ralph Lauren bag!

• SteveRummins
    • By SteveRummins 18th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SteveRummins
    The travel credit cards page says that the Barclaycard Platinum travel card is not available to existing Barclaycard customers. I can't see anything on their site which says that, and I successfully applied despite having another Barclaycard already.

The site does say "Card best suited for new customers who:" but that doesn't look like it's a restriction. I couldn't see anything in the T&Cs about new customers only.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 13,196 Posts
    • 11,203 Thanks
    zagfles
    The travel credit cards page says that the Barclaycard Platinum travel card is not available to existing Barclaycard customers. I can't see anything on their site which says that, and I successfully applied despite having another Barclaycard already.

The site does say "Card best suited for new customers who:" but that doesn't look like it's a restriction. I couldn't see anything in the T&Cs about new customers only.
    Originally posted by SteveRummins
    I did too - a few months ago.
    • jonam.forum
    • By jonam.forum 19th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonam.forum
    Tandem was been working really well for me (added advantage is that you can say it is a US card for places like airbnb that try to add currency conversion fees to your local currency as they don't reject zip codes of 00000)
    • MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 6th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    i had just logged in to ask about the Tandem card. Got it a couple of days ago and made a purchase abroad yest and it worked like a charm. The app that tells you immediately how much the cost is is great too.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 8th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    Hey chaps - which would you choose out of Halifax/Tandem/Barclaycard

I plan to withdraw some cash but use majority on card
    Would like to use with Apple Pay (not essential, Tandem don't offer)
    Best rate trumps cash withdrawal personally. I'm happy to pay off cash withdrawals ASAP

Thanks
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 10th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    In reply to jamerr. Halifax Clarity. When I applied for Barclaycard they made me jump through hoops and then gave me a £500 limit, useless. On the other hand, Halifax, easy peasy, and useful limit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter