Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 4:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 13
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 22nd Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    Get's better, Barclaycard finally accepted me, then gave me a credit limit of £260! Yes, really, despite perfect credit rating and annual earnings >£50K. Pathetic, cancelled. They can go and raffle.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 20,107 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Get's better, Barclaycard finally accepted me, then gave me a credit limit of £260! Yes, really, despite perfect credit rating and annual earnings >£50K. Pathetic, cancelled. They can go and raffle.
    Originally posted by Shugg McGlummfer
    Unfortunately credit ratings aren't taken into consideration for anything financial, the history is taken into account.
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 23rd Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    Thanks for that, but my history is perfect with all 4 credit agenciest. Never missed a payment etc. Who knows..?
    • Sue 2111
    • By Sue 2111 28th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sue 2111
    Just want to inform you about Barclays platinum credit card. I was allowed a credit limit of £1200 which was fine. I wasnít told there was a cash limit of £450 until the card was paid back in full (monthly direct debit). I could not make more than 1 withdrawal while I was on holiday. I phoned them and used all my mobile phone credit while waiting for customer services to answer. This caused a lot of distress while I was on holiday. I have never known a credit card to have a cash limit imposed. Lucky I had Halifax clarity for back up.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 28th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Just want to inform you about Barclays platinum credit card. I was allowed a credit limit of £1200 which was fine. I wasnít told there was a cash limit of £450 until the card was paid back in full (monthly direct debit). I could not make more than 1 withdrawal while I was on holiday. I phoned them and used all my mobile phone credit while waiting for customer services to answer. This caused a lot of distress while I was on holiday. I have never known a credit card to have a cash limit imposed. Lucky I had Halifax clarity for back up.
    Originally posted by Sue 2111
    You were told. I can see it within the blurb provided with the card on arrival. Did you read it or just discard and ignore it?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 28th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Any experiences with the 'B' credit card (offered by Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale Bank)? I was offered it along with my current account there (for the switch bonus), and apparently it has no loading for foreign currency transactions and so is suitable for purchases abroad, although not for withdrawing cash. Has anyone noticed any unfortunate small print, or practical problems?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 28th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 13,196 Posts
    • 11,203 Thanks
    zagfles
    Originally posted by Sue 2111
    Credit cards quite often do have a cash limit but typicially it's about half the credit limit. It seems the Barclaycard travel card has a cash limit of about a third of the credit limit.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 28th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 13,196 Posts
    • 11,203 Thanks
    zagfles
    You were told. I can see it within the blurb provided with the card on arrival. Did you read it or just discard and ignore it?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Yes but it's easy to miss. The online tools aren't much help, it gives a nice display of your available credit but no mention of the cash limit, and even if you click "Credit Limit" is makes no mention of the cash limit.
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 17th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    dipsy
    We used Starling Bank in NYC - worked perfect apart from the Metro where despite using the hotels Zip and the generic suggestions it just wouldn't work, so we took cash out and used that.

Worked very like the free Travelex app did by showing the ex rate etc

Recommended to my daughter who used it in NYC and her dad who used it in Oz to avoid fees etc

Love it!!!
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
    • Nessie23
    • By Nessie23 28th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Nessie23
    We used Starling Bank in NYC - worked perfect apart from the Metro where despite using the hotels Zip and the generic suggestions it just wouldn't work, so we took cash out and used that.

Worked very like the free Travelex app did by showing the ex rate etc

Recommended to my daughter who used it in NYC and her dad who used it in Oz to avoid fees etc

Love it!!!
    Originally posted by dipsy
    Hi for NYC metro if you are using a foreign card you need to enter magic code 99999, one of those strange system overrides, but it worked for me

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6677044-Metro_Card_paying_by_Credit_Card-New_York_City_New_York.html
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 9th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Hi folks,

Tandem Bank have launched a new credit card with no fees to spend overseas. As an added bonus, it also pays 0.5% cashback on all purchases, both in the UK and abroad.

You can read our write-up of the product in our Travel Credit Cards guide.
    • Oasis1
    • By Oasis1 23rd Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Oasis1
    Can anyone please advise on Halifax Clarity vs Monzo:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73924707#post73924707

• EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Can anyone please advise on Halifax Clarity vs Monzo:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73924707#post73924707
    Originally posted by Oasis1
    Clarity and Starling Bank
    • awm49
    • By awm49 27th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    awm49
    Contacting Barlcays
    I you are going abroad to avoid expensive international calls its always best to use the Visa. Mastercard and American Express international assistance numbers they will let you contact your bank for free or at local rates and some even provide concierge services and local information.
    • JVM
    • By JVM 2nd Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JVM
    Currently in Portugal, Algarve with my new Halifax Clarity card. It works fine (both chip&pin and contactless)at all the local supermarkets and petrol stations but has been declined at every resaurant I have tried. One restaurant said that the new Tandem clard was also declined there. Other matercards have work ok.
    Any idea what the problem is?
    • supereddzz
    • By supereddzz 9th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    supereddzz
    TANDEM application rejected
    Just so you're all aware, I have inexplicably had my application for a TANDEM card rejected! I have an excellent credit rating / history and have never had an application rejected in the past. I've instead opted for Halifax Clarity to use for my holiday in the USA.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 12:41 AM
    • 24,056 Posts
    • 62,684 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Following Martin's advice, I have used a Saga credit card and a Nationwide one when abroad.

I had a horrible shock today when checking comparisons on TMM.

Both Saga and Nationwide gave $1.24 for spending on card. In contrast Halifax Clarity gave $1.39.

I have reread the advice section on the main site to see the first still recommended. Did I miss a recent change?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Following Martin's advice, I have used a Saga credit card and a Nationwide one when abroad.

I had a horrible shock today when checking comparisons on TMM.

Both Saga and Nationwide gave $1.24 for spending on card. In contrast Halifax Clarity gave $1.39.

I have reread the advice section on the main site to see the first still recommended. Did I miss a recent change?
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Sounds like you've fallen into a DCC trap.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    eDicky
    Both Saga and Nationwide gave $1.24 for spending on card.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Where does this figure come from?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 24,056 Posts
    • 62,684 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Sounds like you've fallen into a DCC trap.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Where does this figure come from?
    Originally posted by eDicky

No. I paid in dollars, just a few supermarket things.

Later I checked on my TMM app and those were the figures that came up.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,557Posts Today

6,593Users online

Martin's Twitter