Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Has being in debt caused you stress and anxiety?

Yes

96.71% • 500 votes

No

3.29% • 17 votes

You may not vote on this poll

517 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 8th May 15, 11:26 AM
    • 9,109Posts
    • 21,954Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Debt and Mental Health - How have your debts affected you?
    • 8th May 15, 11:26 AM
    Debt and Mental Health - How have your debts affected you? 8th May 15 at 11:26 AM
    Hi everyone,

As part of Mental Health Awareness Week 2015 next week (11-17 May), we!!!8217;re supporting Stepchange Debt Charity and the Mental Health Foundation (MHF) in highlighting how debt can play a large part in mental health issues.

We have a free Mental Health and Debt guide available for anyone to download so if you're struggling please do take a look!

Has being in debt caused you stress and anxiety?

We're launching a poll to see how many of you have had mental health issues. We've kept responses private so other forum users won't see who's voted in the poll. If you'd like to reply below and discuss that would be great but don't feel you have to.

Join the forum to vote in the poll and join the conversation: join.

Mental Health Awareness Week Twitter Chat Wed 13 May, 11am

We're hosting a twitter chat with StepChange Debt Charity and the Mental Health Foundation this Wednesday: Twitter Chat
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 8
    • saffy135
    • By saffy135 25th Jun 18, 9:27 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    saffy135
    I went through a rough patch in 2000's, I started buying expensive cars, holidays etc. I ended up in 27K in debt with credit cards and overdraft. My lenders started increasing my limit and i continued spending. I kept all this debt from my wife and she had no clue, I lied to her many times and ignored my statements or looking at my balance, convinced myself everything would be fine in a few months but eventually the minimum payments I was making I could no longer afford. My wife eventually cornered me and I was forced to tell her the truth. It was the hardest thing I had done, the fear, anxiety and depression was overwhelming. The truth is I should have sought help earlier instead of ignoring the problem and turning a blind eye, with the help of my wife, I have overturned my life in a short space of time. Sometimes you require some shock therapy and confront the issue and do the hardest thing, it is easier to ignore the problem and convince yourself it will be okay tomorrow but the problem will always be there and getting worse by the day. I will be debt free by Sept and finally able to live life and a burned off my shoulders

Cut up your credit cards and just avoid if necessary, lenders do not help, you get trapped into it and starts to spiral out of control.
    • BlueJay81
    • By BlueJay81 25th Jun 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BlueJay81
    Needing some help.
    Me and my wife are currently in a pretty tough situation.

We are both currently coming up to the end of our 4th year of our Trust Deeds.

My wife has been out of work since February. Due to her Mother falling ill and needing extra care needs while she was in the process of being diagnosed it was her only option as dealing with the pressure of her job, our 3 kids and looking after her mother was too much.

Since then we have been living on 1 wage which isn't enough to cover our outgoings. Including our Trust Deeds.

Our mortgage is in arrears also and most months direct debits fail as well as having to rely on family and sometimes friends to loan us money for food.

The upshot is that my wife's mental health has reached a point where she is so unwell that she is longer able to cope with life in general and can't see past the worst case scenario in every problem.

She knows she is unwell but can't seem to get the help she needs, and I need to go to work so can't be there for her to give her time to recover and get better.

It has had a knock on effect on me too as it just seems like everything is spiralling out of control.

I just need some advice on how the hell to get through this.

Anything at all would be appreciated.

Last edited by BlueJay81; 25-06-2018 at 1:39 PM.
    • Dot.007
    • By Dot.007 26th Jul 18, 10:27 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Dot.007
    What your wife needs is something small that can make her feel she still has some power in her hands. If there is a little job available, evening job, where she could earn a little...
    • Teasedale
    • By Teasedale 7th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Teasedale
    If your income exceeds your outgoings, you just have to change one or the other. Tough decisions have to be made to get you back to a place where the sums add up. The danger lies in delaying the decisions.

That's what I found anyway.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 17th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    ...we have been living on 1 wage which isn't enough to cover our outgoings. Including our Trust Deeds.

Our mortgage is in arrears also and most months direct debits fail as well as having to rely on family and sometimes friends to loan us money for food.

The upshot is that my wife's mental health has reached a point where she is so unwell that she is longer able to cope with life in general and can't see past the worst case scenario in every problem.

She knows she is unwell but can't seem to get the help she needs, and I need to go to work so can't be there for her to give her time to recover and get better.
    Originally posted by BlueJay81
    Hi BlueJay81 and welcome to the forum

Has your wife seen her GP about her mental health? It sounds like she may be in need of some support. Medication can often be a part of the solution as can talking therapies. Your wife could ask her GP to refer her to IAPT for talking therapy.

As far as your debt is concerned, I would suggest contacting StepChange or any of the other free debt counselling services for advice and support. In the meantime, you may want to open up a new thread, posting up your SOA (Statement of Affairs) so that we can see the exact nature of your situation, advising you accordingly. If you do decide to post up your SOA, please can you remember to click on the 'format for MSE' button at the bottom of the form. Thanks.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin