Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 15th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    0 WOW
    Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion
    • 15th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion 15th Apr 15 at 3:47 PM

Hi,

We've written a new pre-existing travel insurance guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you would add?

Thanks for your help,

MSE Rebecca
Page 14
    • tgon
    • By tgon 11th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    tgon
    I agree. The algorithm for calculating risk from common ailments being successfully treated by medical practitioners seems disproportionate to some of the quotes derived. Like all products - shop around.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 13th Jan 19, 5:10 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    katejo
    It is time a national campaign was launched against the exorbitant
    rates charged for pre med travel insurance.
    Most of those applying are being treated with the latest methods
    available and are in a better state of health than the hundreds of
    thousands who travel whilst being heavy drinkers /smokers/overweight/
    diabetic etc ,but for some reason have never been treated.
    These people are just as likely to claim as the so called
    high risk pre meds.
    I call on all major insurers to publicly prove and publish the figures
    that justify such large premiums.
    Originally posted by ajaxer
    This annoys me a lot. Several years ago an insurer refused to cover my underactive thyroid because my dosage of thyroxine had recently been slightly adjusted. Their argument was that my condition must be unstable. I pointed out that it was stable because I had been for my check up and the adjustment had been made. If I had ignored the appointment......!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Jan 19, 1:46 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 4,501 Thanks
    sheramber
    This annoys me a lot. Several years ago an insurer refused to cover my underactive thyroid because my dosage of thyroxine had recently been slightly adjusted. Their argument was that my condition must be unstable. I pointed out that it was stable because I had been for my check up and the adjustment had been made. If I had ignored the appointment......!
    Originally posted by katejo
    I was charged extra because my mediation had changed within the last 6 months. It was changed because the original one was upsetting my stomach. it had nothing to do with the condition.
    • frankie
    • By frankie 14th Jan 19, 2:13 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    frankie
    I also had travel insurance cancelled because I informed them that my pre declared blood pressure tablets were changed to a LOWER dose!! Unbelievable.
    • PatriciaKnox
    • By PatriciaKnox 2nd Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PatriciaKnox
    Your website is quite useful but I am looking for advice on a combination of categories for travel insurance.
    1. We need travel insurance cover for over 70s for activity holidays - skiing, dinghy sailing, mountain hiking. We are both 71 and fit and healthy and have been doing these things all our lives.
    2. We both suffer from mild controlled anxiety/depression but have never been referred to psychiatrists and our activities help. These always seem to be be notifiable pre-existing conditions but are most unlikely to be contributory factors in any claim. Could they be excluded?
    Suggested companies would be most welcome.
    • Christabel
    • By Christabel 3rd Feb 19, 9:02 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Christabel
    Where do I find this guide please?
    I see you say there's a new guide for pre-existing health conditions but when I searched the website I couldn't see it. Please can you give me a link?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 3rd Feb 19, 1:04 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 4,501 Thanks
    sheramber
    I see you say there's a new guide for pre-existing health conditions but when I searched the website I couldn't see it. Please can you give me a link?
    Originally posted by Christabel
    If you are referring to the original post it is dated 2015.
    • Christabel
    • By Christabel 3rd Feb 19, 2:58 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Christabel
    Thanks Sheramber.
    • koru
    • By koru 3rd Feb 19, 4:36 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    koru
    ...I am looking for advice on a combination of categories for travel insurance.
    1. We need travel insurance cover for over 70s for activity holidays - skiing, dinghy sailing, mountain hiking. We are both 71 and fit and healthy and have been doing these things all our lives.
    2. We both suffer from mild controlled anxiety/depression but have never been referred to psychiatrists and our activities help. These always seem to be be notifiable pre-existing conditions but are most unlikely to be contributory factors in any claim. Could they be excluded?
    Suggested companies would be most welcome.
    Originally posted by PatriciaKnox
    For question 1, this is probably not the right thread on which to ask. For Q2, check the wording of a few policies. Often it is clear that failing to disclose just means they will exclude cover for any claim linked to the undisclosed condition. But be aware that if there is any feasible link, they will refuse the claim.
    koru
    • john mace
    • By john mace 8th Feb 19, 6:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john mace
    me and my wife did a search for euopean insurance for the two of us,we have been rejected by over 40 companies.no hope of going anywhere i fear.... having a disability should not hold you back but im afraid it makes you more depressed dealing with the knockbacks from companies just looking for safe options
    John and Colleen mace the couple with no life left in them according to insurance companies.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Feb 19, 8:21 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    EssexExile
    me and my wife did a search for euopean insurance for the two of us,we have been rejected by over 40 companies.no hope of going anywhere i fear.... having a disability should not hold you back but im afraid it makes you more depressed dealing with the knockbacks from companies just looking for safe options
    John and Colleen mace the couple with no life left in them according to insurance companies.
    Originally posted by john mace
    There are lots of us who can't travel abroad, as my GP said "There are many wonderful places on this island" & he was right. Make the best of what you have.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • john mace
    • By john mace 8th Feb 19, 8:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john mace
    discrimination
    having a disability should not be a reason not to travel,my dr tell me i would be better off in a warm dry climate with copd ,as much as i love england a break from my ilness in a warmer climate is a must for my health in the winter but i can no longer pay the huge insurace premiums even when i can find someone to insureus.Our alternative is lock ourself away for the winter
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Feb 19, 9:38 PM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 19,741 Thanks
    Doc N
    having a disability should not be a reason not to travel,my dr tell me i would be better off in a warm dry climate with copd ,as much as i love england a break from my ilness in a warmer climate is a must for my health in the winter but i can no longer pay the huge insurace premiums even when i can find someone to insureus.Our alternative is lock ourself away for the winter
    Thatís obviously an unfortunate state of affairs, and I do sympathise. Unfortunately, though, insurers exist to make profits, and if they judge that a high premium is required to cover a high risk of a claim, thatís a sad but unavoidable situation.

Brexit has made the situation even worse because reciprocal arrangements may cease on 29 March, but even apart from that itís not good if you have pre-existing conditions.

Can you think of an alternative though?
    • frankie
    • By frankie 9th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    • 727 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    frankie
    Have you tried a company called All Clear? They claim to cover ALL conditions, though obviously at a price!

Is you condition associated with any charitable organisation? If so they may be able to help?

Good luck.
    • john mace
    • By john mace 9th Feb 19, 1:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john mace
    have now given up,will cancel our holiday on monday,insurance companies have taken my money all my life,we have never had a claim but when you need them to be fair and give you a chance they reject you after 41 insurance company`s reject us ive had enough.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 9th Feb 19, 3:13 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Ganga
    have now given up,will cancel our holiday on monday,insurance companies have taken my money all my life,we have never had a claim but when you need them to be fair and give you a chance they reject you after 41 insurance company`s reject us ive had enough.
    There are insurance companies that will cover you for travelling but EXCLUDE certain ailments that you disclose,try one of these before you cancel your holiday.
    The other alternative ( which i am not recommending ) is to travel without insurance.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Feb 19, 4:22 PM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 19,741 Thanks
    Doc N
    There are insurance companies that will cover you for travelling but EXCLUDE certain ailments that you disclose,try one of these before you cancel your holiday.
    The other alternative ( which i am not recommending ) is to travel without insurance.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Excluding the conditions that are creating the high quotes would be almost as risky as travelling with no insurance, though, wouldnít it.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Feb 19, 4:26 PM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 19,741 Thanks
    Doc N
    Insurance companies exist to make profits. They do not operate on the basis of fairness or giving someone a chance.

That would be a recipe for losing money on an insurance contract, and thatís just not the way business, or life, is Iím afraid.
    • CeliaD
    • By CeliaD 11th Feb 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CeliaD
    Travel Insurance Facilities plc or Travel Insurance 4Medical. I booked with this firm a I have several medical conditions. I needed to claim with them in July and after 7 months I am now referring them to the Financial Ombudsman. They ignore or prevaricate my requests for payment never giving a reason for non payment and now expect the doctor I saw on holiday to write regarding my infirmity after all this time!
    Donít take up their offer, itís not worth it.
    • ELAINE1234
    • By ELAINE1234 20th Feb 19, 10:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ELAINE1234
    Hi I can't see a link to this. I'd like clarification on how far back you need to declare. For instance is it only issues arising in the last 2 years or does it go back further? My husband and I had operations 6 years ago, mine was a broken wrist and his was a ripped tendon in his knee. I always declare these but do I need to? Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

622Posts Today

5,561Users online

Martin's Twitter