Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 15th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    0 WOW
    Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion
    • 15th Apr 15, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion 15th Apr 15 at 3:47 PM

Hi,

We've written a new pre-existing travel insurance guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you would add?

Thanks for your help,

MSE Rebecca
Page 11
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 9th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    13Kent
    No to both of the above. He does have pre-existing conditions to do with his heart and blood pressure, but nothing has changed since last year when he got reasonable insurance that included cover for a cruise.

• Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 19,533 Thanks
    Doc N
    No to both of the above. He does have pre-existing conditions to do with his heart and blood pressure, but nothing has changed since last year when he got reasonable insurance that included cover for a cruise.
    Originally posted by 13Kent
    In case it's of any help, Which? say this:

The companies currently featured in our Best Rates for over 80s are Blue Bear Travel, Covered2go, Holidaysafe, Insuredtotravel and Nowicantravel for single-trip polices; and Circle Cover, Insure & Go, RAC, Saga and Staysure for annual policies. But beware that these companies might have maximum ages as low as 84.

If you're struggling to find travel insurance, or the quotes you are getting are too high, you can try using an insurance broker. Brokers will offer advice and search the market to find the right policy for you at the most competitive price available. Call Biba's 'Find a broker service' on 0370 950 1790 to be put in touch with a broker.
    • redbull08
    • By redbull08 10th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 3,084 Posts
    • 32,240 Thanks
    redbull08
    Hi ,
    I haven't time to read back all the posts but am looking for holiday insurance with pre existing medical conditions cover please.
    Can anyone advise the good and who to avoid please, thanks
    Last edited by redbull08; 10-01-2018 at 8:40 AM.
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 10th Jan 18, 10:16 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    13Kent
    Thanks Doc N will pass that information on.

• Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 19,533 Thanks
    Doc N
    Thanks Doc N will pass that information on.
    No problem - could you feed back please if your father finds something suitable and affordable? It's a very common problem, and it's preventing large numbers of people from travelling outside the UK.
    • koru
    • By koru 10th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    koru
    My parents are trying to get travel insurance to go to Portugal initially, but they would also like cover for cruise holidays, but for now would just be happy to get cover for their Portugal holiday.

They both have pre-existing conditions, Mum is able to get insurance, but this year my Dad will be 75 and it seems that suddenly he is being refused insurance or the premiums are extortionate, the companies seem unable to tell them why he is being refused - I assume it's just a case of "computer says 'no'" and the person on the phone doesn't know why, but they are wondering if it is due to his age as it's the only thing that has changed since last year.

They have tried comparison websites, and a lot of companies already. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!
    Eurotunnel has no age limit on single trip policies.
    koru
    • Jansbs
    • By Jansbs 10th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jansbs
    Watch out for the loopholes for gadgets
    Check your policy carefully about what is included and not included, particularly gadet extension with Holiday Safe. Your phone, Kindle, tablets will not be included in personal possessions or electrical items. Donít get caught out.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 11th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 38,755 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Check your policy carefully about what is included and not included, particularly gadet extension with Holiday Safe. Your phone, Kindle, tablets will not be included in personal possessions or electrical items. Don!!!8217;t get caught out.
    Originally posted by Jansbs
    Sadly medical conditions being covered are far more important than electronic gizmos IMHO!- and medical cover is a minefield- and a half....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2220 cc+.2155mm (£2.15.5) + RK £5.21= £29.60.5
    • Puteri
    • By Puteri 17th Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Puteri
    Hi
    My partner, who is a young 81years old, has pre existing medical conditions and has been quoted £1,200 travel insurance for a three week holiday in the Far East. This is the cheapest, others have been £2,000-£4,000. He has used Global Travel in the past but they have recently changed their holiday options. We feel the only option is to get travel insurance which excludes his pre existing medical conditions. Can anyone suggest a company who will do this. Thank you.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 19,533 Thanks
    Doc N
    Hi
    My partner, who is a young 81years old, has pre existing medical conditions and has been quoted £1,200 travel insurance for a three week holiday in the Far East. This is the cheapest, others have been £2,000-£4,000. He has used Global Travel in the past but they have recently changed their holiday options. We feel the only option is to get travel insurance which excludes his pre existing medical conditions. Can anyone suggest a company who will do this. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Puteri
    The good news is that quite a few companies will insure people in this situation, with pre-existing conditions excluded, and at apparently reasonable prices because that's a major part of the risk removed.

The bad news is, though, that you might be taking one very large gamble, depending on the conditions excluded. The costs of medical treatment, or an air ambulance, could be huge - and I'm talking tens of thousands potentially. You need to be happy to take that risk, and its financial consequences.

I say 'might' be taking a large gamble because it depends very much on the excluded conditions. If it's an ingrown toenail and a touch of arthritis you might be fine. However, anything more serious, such as high blood pressure or any heart condition, for example, and that could be used by an insurer against any number of potential claim areas - far wider than you might expect.

Only you can decide what risks you'd consider acceptable. I really would consider very carefully indeed whether to take that chance.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 18th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 38,755 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I spent yesterday afternoon checking through t&cs, premiums etc for annual insurance as mine is due for renewal next week. Been putting off the evil deed!
    This time I was determined to use TCB - and it was worth while.

I was impressed by the range of products and prices from Justtravelinsurance- don't know their cut off age. Only problem was the policies I would have chosen exclude one country from 'worldwide'- and it's one I am visiting.

I chose Saga in the end- almost half the price of the dearest quote! and with good cover.
    I understand they have no top age limit.
    By buying thro TCB there was 18% 'refund' which is increased to 20% on single trip insurance.(This was specifically with Saga- on the dearest quote it was a flat rate £15!)

It might be worth your while to hunt that way as it makes the price slightly more palatable.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2220 cc+.2155mm (£2.15.5) + RK £5.21= £29.60.5
    • Mrs Scrooge
    • By Mrs Scrooge 31st Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mrs Scrooge
    Which company picks up the tab?
    We booked a holiday last September, which takes place this March, having annual trip insurance in place at the time of booking. This insurance runs out 2 weeks before we travel, and while we shall make sure we are insured again continuously before the March trip, what happens if, say, we had to cancel on any date between the end of the old policy, and the date of travel, having a new policy in place on continuous dates?
    The company we were insured with (Insure for all) is "no longer offering travel insurance", so we cannot re-insure with the same company: they did recommend another company, but if we don't insure with them and go for a different company, how would we stand? Hopefully it won't happen, but would just be interested to know which company should honour any claim, if it falls within that window between one policy expiring, and actual trip taking place, even with continuing insurance cover being provided by another company?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 31st Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 19,533 Thanks
    Doc N
    I doubt it makes any difference whether you use the 'recommended' company or not - it will still be an entirely different policy.

I imagine you'll arrange for the new policy to start as soon as the old one ends, and in that situation you should be fully covered for all eventualities included in the policies.

You just need to make sure there's no gap.
    • koru
    • By koru 1st Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    koru
    We booked a holiday last September, which takes place this March, having annual trip insurance in place at the time of booking. This insurance runs out 2 weeks before we travel, and while we shall make sure we are insured again continuously before the March trip, what happens if, say, we had to cancel on any date between the end of the old policy, and the date of travel, having a new policy in place on continuous dates?
    The company we were insured with (Insure for all) is "no longer offering travel insurance", so we cannot re-insure with the same company: they did recommend another company, but if we don't insure with them and go for a different company, how would we stand? Hopefully it won't happen, but would just be interested to know which company should honour any claim, if it falls within that window between one policy expiring, and actual trip taking place, even with continuing insurance cover being provided by another company?
    Originally posted by Mrs Scrooge
    You would claim under the new policy. The old policy is completely irrelevant, so choose the new one as if you had no previous cover.
    koru
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 10th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Simon7685
    Heads Up.......
    I have just got a new policy for 86 year old with;
    Heart Attack
    Heart Failure
    TIA
    High BP
    High Cholestoral
    CKD with impaired kidney function
    Diabetes (non insulin)

Avanti who we have used before quoted £374....
    We have gone with Get Going Travel Insurance for £94.57 and 21.21% cashback through TCB.
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 10th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    13Kent
    Thanks, they cancelled their cruise as they couldn't find suitable insurance, they are now looking at European Cover instead.

• Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 19,533 Thanks
    Doc N
    Heads Up.......
    I have just got a new policy for 86 year old with;
    Heart Attack
    Heart Failure
    TIA
    High BP
    High Cholestoral
    CKD with impaired kidney function
    Diabetes (non insulin)

Avanti who we have used before quoted £374....
    We have gone with Get Going Travel Insurance for £94.57 and 21.21% cashback through TCB.
    Originally posted by Simon7685
    That's a remarkably low premium! No exclusions for pre-existing conditions?
    • cov2811
    • By cov2811 17th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cov2811
    I got ours via paying too much
    10 day holiday Mexico
    3 adults, Stroke, High blood pressure High cholesterol, cancer, Thyroid, Asthma & Autism all declared
    £288 very hard to find good cover for Autism alone
    • Kiki2000
    • By Kiki2000 14th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kiki2000
    Hi I'm not sure how to post but this may be of use to someone, my husband age 77 has several existing conditions, we wanted a joint single trip insurance to Europe for a five week tour in a motorhome we were quoted several extremely high prices with some not covering existing conditions, we were recommended to NFOP and on joining were offered their travel insurance no declarations of existing conditions all are covered if they are well controlled all they ask is that you have not been advised not to travel and with no terminal diagnosis , this is annual multi trip and up to age 79 but if membership and insurance is continued then the upper age limit does not apply. The cover seems very good and we noted people on the forum quoting cruises often require high cover, but this is for £5,000,000 and the p & 0 cruise we have just been on was well covered, all this for £31.80 to join NFOP then £275 for joint travel insurances
    Last edited by Kiki2000; 14-05-2018 at 7:13 PM.
    • frankie
    • By frankie 15th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    frankie
    Hi I'm not sure how to post but this may be of use to someone, my husband age 77 has several existing conditions, we wanted a joint single trip insurance to Europe for a five week tour in a motorhome we were quoted several extremely high prices with some not covering existing conditions, we were recommended to NFOP and on joining were offered their travel insurance no declarations of existing conditions all are covered if they are well controlled all they ask is that you have not been advised not to travel and with no terminal diagnosis , this is annual multi trip and up to age 79 but if membership and insurance is continued then the upper age limit does not apply. The cover seems very good and we noted people on the forum quoting cruises often require high cover, but this is for £5,000,000 and the p & 0 cruise we have just been on was well covered, all this for £31.80 to join NFOP then £275 for joint travel insurances
    Originally posted by Kiki2000
    This for me is avery interesting idea.

I have looked at the NFOP policy booklet and cannot see anything that would put me of applying, or at least looking at.

I am in the process of seeing if I am elegible to join NFOP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

436Posts Today

5,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin