sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom

Comments

• Sorry to hear about the car, it does all seem to happen at once doesn't it? It'll be like new with all the repairs you've had done so hopefully it wont need any work for a while.Have a stern word with it and drive it past the local scrap yard, it should get the hint. ;)

MGx
    :jMortgage free 08.08.19 :j
    2018: £19410.25 / £9,300 2017: £7646.64 / £11,000 2016: 4557.98 / £11,000 2015: £10,230.37 / £11,000 2014 =£6703.26 / £11,000 2013 = £4288.51 / £8000 2012 = £1600/£5000 2011 = £2579/£3000
    MF date was Nov 2041 - mortgage neutral 23.07.18

• Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Agree with MG on the car, hopefully you'll get a good stretch of trouble free and low cost motoring once these repairs are out of the way. But a large expense you could well do without :(

I still have a lazy eye and my parents chose not to have the surgery done - but think it was more to do with the success rate being quite low back then and it's much higher now. I did the patch and full time to part time glasses wearing as it improved, but then went to contact lenses at 18 and ended up a full time wearer. Own fault and optician told me that would happen! Agree with you on the teenage vanity ;)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Boo to car.
    I had squint operated on three times with no long lasting result.
    Reverted every time :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Grrrr to the car - I feel for you having just gone through this.. it's such a pain, but we rely on them so much!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Sorry to hear about the car, it does all seem to happen at once doesn't it? It'll be like new with all the repairs you've had done so hopefully it wont need any work for a while.Have a stern word with it and drive it past the local scrap yard, it should get the hint. ;)

MGx

I've been driving the car past the scrap yard a lot today, in the hope it will get the hint. It keeps purring at me though, or that could just be the oil burning :rotfl:
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Boo to car.
    I had squint operated on three times with no long lasting result.
    Reverted every time :(

That's a shame Beanie, I've sort of prepared myself for DD2 having surgery, not on her eye though.

She was born with a lung/heart condition which was supposed to cause all manner of problems. Termination suggested as an option, 8% chance of survival bandied around. However she's absolutely fine with her heart/lungs currently and has never had any surgery on them.

Due to her heart/lung problems I'm really not keen on surgery for surgerys sake. Although will definitely see what they have to say. For me DD2s eye problems are the least of my worries, as they are insignificant compared to what I thought that i'd be dealing with. She has very weak glasses which she doesn't need all the time.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • Ali-OK wrote: »

I still have a lazy eye and my parents chose not to have the surgery done - but think it was more to do with the success rate being quite low back then and it's much higher now. I did the patch and full time to part time glasses wearing as it improved, but then went to contact lenses at 18 and ended up a full time wearer. Own fault and optician told me that would happen! Agree with you on the teenage vanity ;)

Sounds very similar to what DD2 has been through, full time glasses to very weak glasses needed for school only. Will keep an open mind.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • Grrrr to the car - I feel for you having just gone through this.. it's such a pain, but we rely on them so much!

Too true, I was without car for a week after a car accident earlier in the year. It took me 2.5 hours to get home from work which is 4 miles away ridiculous. I ended up walking 45 mins to a train station and then 20 mins back from the train station near my home. Infrequent trains meant 50 mins waiting for one.

Bus option took 3 different ones as no direct route. So definitely need the car for work. Just hoping it will be a little cheaper in future.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • Back on the dieting bandwagon after putting on half a stone over half term. I need to lose a stone to get back to normal weight range.

Girls had swimming after school. Came home and we're eating out of the freezer, cupboards as I'm quite skint until I get paid on the 26th.

DD2 (5) made homemade pizzas. Using sandwich thins, mozarella, tomato puree, frozen peppers and frozen sweetcorn. The girls ate it all up.

Spent £39 to fill my car up with petrol. £7 on a top up shop. Mozarella, yoghurts, ready brek, milk, apples and a parsnip.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • I've lost half a stone:j:j

Only what I put on last term though, still need to lose a stone to hit target.

I'm getting my car back in the morning. Yay, didn't get home until 7.30 tonight but it only cost me £1.50 on train fare. Had to get a taxi to work though £6.40, as with three children to drop off I'd have never made it.

Tomorrow I'm getting a taxi at 7.10, to pick up my car as soon as the garage opens at 7.30, to then drop the kids off and go to work. All on a day when I'm being observed as part of a Mockstead joy of joys
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing