Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 6th Aug 07, 6:57 PM
    • 10,360 Posts
    • 17,066 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 6th Aug 07, 6:57 PM
    • 6th Aug 07, 6:57 PM
    First I thought how sad that no-one has bothered to post on this discussion. Then I thought.... what's to discuss? Martin and the whole team deserve a great big for everything they have done for us, and will hopefully continue to do for as long as the Internet is available.

It made my day catching a brief "appearance" by the great man today, on the Radio 5 Live house prices discussion. I was driving back from Sainsburys at the time, where I had obtained £18 worth of shopping for £12, by various (legal!) means.

I hope you all enjoyed your dinner, and had doggy bags to take home the surplus! .
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 6th Aug 07, 11:43 PM
    • 9,418 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    • 6th Aug 07, 11:43 PM
    • 6th Aug 07, 11:43 PM
    Believe me Bogof Babe, it was the type of posh restaurant where there wasn't surplus to be taken! If there was I'd definitely have asked
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • full-time-mum
    • 7th Aug 07, 2:04 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 2:04 PM
    Believe me Bogof Babe, it was the type of posh restaurant where there wasn't surplus to be taken! If there was I'd definitely have asked
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea

Celebration or no celebration, this posh restaurant doesn't sound in the spirit of MSE.

That aside, well done to everyone, hope you had a good night and keep up the good work.
    • James240
    • By James240 7th Aug 07, 2:11 PM
    • 15,616 Posts
    • 9,739 Thanks
    James240
    • 7th Aug 07, 2:11 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 2:11 PM
    fantastic news well done to all the people at MSE Towers
    Matched Betting Winnings: £?????.?? Officially Debt Free!!! Official DFW Nerd 007 Ah Ha! There you are Ms 240
  • southernscouser
    • 7th Aug 07, 4:29 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 4:29 PM
    Where the hell was my invite? :confused:

DFW rocks!
    Last edited by southernscouser; 07-08-2007 at 4:32 PM.
  • animal_magic
    • 7th Aug 07, 10:35 PM
    no, thank you
    • 7th Aug 07, 10:35 PM
    here is a perfect opportunity to thank the MSE and all that has followed in his wake...

I am obviously not the the only one to say so but, i resent the fact that i could be spat out by the education sausage machine with a batchelors degree and still yet know next to nothing about personal finance. The site and book ended needless trial and error, provided me with a real and practical education far more valuable that any institution could ever provide and have made little my financial acorns grow into whopping forests of dough, following MSE advice. The sites impartiality still amazes me in this cynical day and age. For THAT alone thanks is due.

Lord knows we need a site like this in a horrendously expensive shoebox of a country! The thing i find most amusing is that Martin has genuinely done something great for this country and yet its always the tax-dodging mittal/stelios-types or money barons of this world that get the honours.

Who needs a medal when you have the appreciation of a ever growing slice of this country on your side?
    Here's to the next million....
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 7th Aug 07, 11:33 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 7th Aug 07, 11:33 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 11:33 PM
    Fantastic acheivement well done to Martin and all the team here's to 2 million.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • skylineboy2002
    • By skylineboy2002 8th Aug 07, 2:02 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    skylineboy2002
    • 8th Aug 07, 2:02 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 2:02 AM
    indeed... lets petition for him to be OBE, MBE or whatever.(i dont know the ranks of the honours system)
    18 litre office water bottle - - amount unknown...
    • savvy
    • By savvy 9th Aug 07, 11:11 AM
    • 30,224 Posts
    • 47,182 Thanks
    savvy
    indeed... lets petition for him to be OBE, MBE or whatever.(i dont know the ranks of the honours system)
    Originally posted by skylineboy2002
    LOL they should make a special one just for him.............MSE of course!

Congratualtions to Martin and the Team
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 9th Aug 07, 12:45 PM
    • 10,360 Posts
    • 17,066 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    LOL they should make a special one just for him.............MSE of course!

Congratualtions to Martin and the Team
    Originally posted by savvy
    Master of Supreme Economics
  • Aviva company representative
    Let me add my thanks too, I'm here in 2 capacities - a work one, in which i am grateful to be given the chance to help our customers with thier issues, but also in a personal one whereby I am learning to deal with my own money naivety slowly but surely.

So thanks ever so much MSE Martin and your wonderful team!!
    Becca
    Last edited by Aviva company representative; 10-08-2007 at 9:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Aviva. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TJH
    Any photos???
    • Mozart321
    • By Mozart321 12th Aug 07, 11:42 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Mozart321
    Originally posted by skylineboy2002
    I second this suggestion and think we should all consider nominating Martin for an honour through the honours system. This will reflect well on all the hard work that Martin has done but also publicise the ethics of the forum members.

What does everybody think?
    ------------
    hmm... intriguing.
    • lewt
    • By lewt 12th Aug 07, 11:54 PM
    • 7,492 Posts
    • 9,127 Thanks
    lewt
    I have to second martins thoughts that it is the "slow burn" that has done alot as well as the big things like bank charges. i came to MSE through the email that my mum told me about not having loads of debt but not really having a clue about getting the most from it.

Now i know where to look for the right price and in most case's get paid albeit 10p or whatever to search the best price.

Or use a service like uswitch and get the commision for that too. a brilliant site with a better forum i say.

Well done on the million martin & team. it may be just under that as i signed up a couple of my other addy's at xmas so you gave a little more to charity....sorry
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • kfer_kaz
    I just managed to tear myself away from the comps forum and did a bit of mooching, and found this blog from Martin. As I was reading it I was getting goose bumps all over. Thank god, or fate whatever you want to call it, that the person who sent that e-mail found this site. The thought of anyone out there feeling so desolate that they are contemplating suicide because of debt fills me with such sadness. If MSE has saved just one persons life then job done. May this site give so many more people the courage to carry on and fight the big debt fight, Martin shows us how acheivable it is.
    WTG Martin, WTG the team and WTG every single one of us.
    2008 won £5119.04
    2009 won so far £0
    All together now..........
    Always look on the bright side of life
    • emmy05
    • By emmy05 26th Mar 08, 10:24 PM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    emmy05
    well done to you all xxxx

• Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 27th Mar 08, 5:26 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    Great news, Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations on the continuing success of the site. It's saved me a bundle this week, so many thanks. The site has a lot of good people on it, it saves me money, earns me free goodies, makes me laugh, makes me cry, support when you need whether financial or otherwise. There is something on here for everyone from aged 10 to 110. It's so much more than just a moneysaving site. Keep up the good work, to everyone. This site has been a godsend for me and I'm sure many millions more. All the best.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,136Posts Today

8,894Users online

Martin's Twitter