Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 10th Mar 15, 6:07 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same
    • 10th Mar 15, 6:07 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same 10th Mar 15 at 6:07 PM
    MoneySavingExpert has been inundated with success stories from shoppers who've got a refund for unwanted Amazon Prime...

Read the full story:

'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren!!!8217;t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 16-11-2015 at 5:14 PM.
Page 3
    • LePopNoisette
    • By LePopNoisette 30th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LePopNoisette
    I agree. It shouldn't be Amazon's problem, in my opinion, as I certainly had no problems in understanding the Prime trial. I believe I also got an email to confirm me signing up to Prime, so even if a user had done it 'accidentally', then you are soon informed that you've signed up for Prime. Whingers / !!!!!!!!!!s.
    • SHill
    • By SHill 1st Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    SHill
    Thank you Amazon
    Read the forum thread about Amazon Prime subscription.

I tend to think I'm quiet good at pressing buttons when purchasing items on the internet.
    No I did not receive any emails saying that I signed up to Prime.

I followed the process to check I had a Prime account and I did.

I emailed Amazon a short succinct polite note. I got reimbursed my £79 the following day.
    Thank you Amazon for being quick in your response.
    Last edited by SHill; 01-09-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 4th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 15,157 Posts
    • 38,742 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    I'm a fully paid member of Amazon Prime, this includes access to Amazon Music.

Amazon have two offerings, a standard version with 4m or so tracks to choose from and is "free" under the Prime membership and the second offering is Amazon Prime Unlimited, which is £79 per year and gives you access to 10m+ music tracks.

The Amazon music app, which you use to access the music service, when you open the app there is a "do you want to upgrade to Unlimited", everytime you open the app, I've inadvertently clicked yes (instead of the smaller "skip" button.

Amazon were good to refund me the £79 but only after I picked up on it when checking my credit card statement, otherwise I'd never have known.

The constant reminder to upgrade is naughty and appreciate they have a "skip" option but when the "yes" option is a massive orange button and the skip one is just underlined text in dark blue against a black background, its clearly designed to be disingenuous/trick people into using the unlimited service.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • mrBlue
    • By mrBlue 30th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    mrBlue
    The Amazon system has today, for the second time in 3 years, signed me up to Prime without my knowingly doing anything or placing an order. It seems to me that their site is deliberately defaulting to join Prime whether you want it or not. Isn't it about time that Amazon was forced to have a confirmation screen or their existing buttons made explicitly clear? Deliberately misleading cusrtomers is a serious offence.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 30th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 33,359 Posts
    • 28,235 Thanks
    custardy
    The Amazon system has today, for the second time in 3 years, signed me up to Prime without my knowingly doing anything or placing an order. It seems to me that their site is deliberately defaulting to join Prime whether you want it or not. Isn't it about time that Amazon was forced to have a confirmation screen or their existing buttons made explicitly clear? Deliberately misleading cusrtomers is a serious offence.
    Originally posted by mrBlue
    Seriously? didnt we cover confirmation screens etc many times before?
    • geofh
    • By geofh 15th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    geofh
    Default membership of Amazon Prime
    The marketing team for Amazon Prime seem to have a mission to trash the Amazon brand. To buy anything these days (2018) on Amazon, you have to hunt for the button that permits you to buy something WITHOUT joining Amazon Prime by default. However, whereas you join Prime by default, they have carefully designed the cancellation process to be slow and difficult (it was hunt-the-button on 3 slow-refresh pages last time I was tricked).

Most retail companies would regard this as bad practice. Amazon seem to have grown so big that it doesnít matter.

So if using Amazon and you donít want to join Prime, here is my suggestion:
    • Use Amazon for reviews and price benchmarking, but before buying on Amazon, have a look for some other retailer selling the same product(s) at a similar price. I use Google Shopping (try searching for: ď<product name> -AmazonĒ) and eBay for finding alternative retailers.
    • If you do decide to buy from Amazon, always double-check any Continue or Proceed button on the checkout journey. You can be certain that one of them will try to trick you into signing up for Prime.
    • Christmas is the most challenging time for online shopping. I know of friends who sign up for an Amazon Prime Free Trial in the first week of December, with an alert to cancel on Jan 1st. Products donít generally arrive next day during that busy period, but they arrive sooner than Standard Delivery. But do remember to cancel ASAP after Christmas.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 33,359 Posts
    • 28,235 Thanks
    custardy
    The marketing team for Amazon Prime seem to have a mission to trash the Amazon brand. To buy anything these days (2018) on Amazon, you have to hunt for the button that permits you to buy something WITHOUT joining Amazon Prime by default. However, whereas you join Prime by default, they have carefully designed the cancellation process to be slow and difficult (it was hunt-the-button on 3 slow-refresh pages last time I was tricked.
    The last time? How many has their been? If you find pages slow then I suggest you look at your internet set up
    Most retail companies would regard this as bad practice.Which ones? Amazon seem to have grown so big that it doesnít matter.So if using Amazon and you donít want to join Prime, here is my suggestion:

Use Amazon for reviews and price benchmarking, but before buying on Amazon, have a look for some other retailer selling the same product(s) at a similar price. I use Google Shopping (try searching for: ď<product name> -AmazonĒ) and eBay for finding alternative retailers.
    If you do decide to buy from Amazon, always double-check any Continue or Proceed button on the checkout journey. You can be certain that one of them will try to trick you into signing up for Prime.Christmas is the most challenging time for online shopping. I know of friends who sign up for an Amazon Prime Free Trial in the first week of December, with an alert to cancel on Jan 1st. Products donít generally arrive next day during that busy period, but they arrive sooner than Standard Delivery. But do remember to cancel ASAP after Christmas.
    Originally posted by geofh
    We have covered this many times with screenshots etc. I really struggle to see how people cant see whats in front of them.
    • gassey
    • By gassey 14th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gassey
    Two years Amazon Prime subscription refunded
    I have just found out I have been subscribed to Amazon Prime without knowing, a friend pointed it out that if I am receiving the prime delivery on packages I will be paying for this service. I have checked my account and it was right, I have been using Prime as a delivery option for some years without thinking I was paying a subscription.
    To cut a long story short I have just contacted Amazon with this enquiry and they were happy to reimburse the yearly fee of £79 straight away, I pushed them a little and got 2 years fees back £158, not bad for a 5 minute phone call, try it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 19,660 Posts
    • 52,499 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I have just found out I have been subscribed to Amazon Prime without knowing, a friend pointed it out that if I am receiving the prime delivery on packages I will be paying for this service. I have checked my account and it was right, I have been using Prime as a delivery option for some years without thinking I was paying a subscription.
    To cut a long story short I have just contacted Amazon with this enquiry and they were happy to reimburse the yearly fee of £79 straight away, I pushed them a little and got 2 years fees back £158, not bad for a 5 minute phone call, try it.
    Originally posted by gassey
    Then it would be a good idea to start checking your financial statements (bank/credit cards) on a regular basis.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

957Posts Today

7,986Users online

Martin's Twitter