Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 9th Mar 15, 6:01 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:01 PM
    I went to the paperchase sale and bought loads of bits. Cards, gift tags, stampers, and some beautiful sparkly butterflies for my tree. Oh, ive promised the other half we can have a Star wars themed tree this year, but let's hope he forgets ha ha ha

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 9th Mar 15, 6:02 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:02 PM

• miffy257
    • By miffy257 9th Mar 15, 6:13 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 7,648 Thanks
    miffy257
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:13 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:13 PM
    That looks very good zippychick you could just put his decorations on the dark side !!!!!!!!!!!!
    £180.00 in 'sistercas'fund
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 9th Mar 15, 6:15 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:15 PM
    Looking at that list I think we need to start now!!!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Mar 15, 6:17 PM
    • 13,270 Posts
    • 182,357 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:17 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 6:17 PM
    Love it! We've had to adapt to a different christmas since we had our first little grandson Ezra and last christmas was his first so his mum and dad visited us before christmas and stayed in their own home for the actual christmas day. Odd having only the elder girlie and us but nice too as we changed some of the traditions and had slightly different food and did things slightly differently and despite some nostalgia managed to enjoy it immensley. We did skype on christmas day, which was lovely so thank heavens for modern technology in a changing world!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • azzabazza
    • By azzabazza 9th Mar 15, 10:37 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    azzabazza
    • 9th Mar 15, 10:37 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 10:37 PM
    I have most of my adult presents bought. Child presents will be bought nearer to time, depending on what said children are into. Cards, wrapping paper and crackers also bought. I keep a spreadsheet to keep me right but I sometimes forget to check it!

Not sure where we will spend Christmas as family scattered. Maybe abroad this year with son and family, or more locally with daughter. I did Christmas 2014 so most likely I won't do 2015.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Mar 15, 11:51 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 32,116 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    • 9th Mar 15, 11:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 15, 11:51 PM
    I thought GG already but then I thought well I have already knitted a scarf for DB as I had 300gm of self patterning Aran yarn left and it was in his sort of colours.

Waiting for circumference of DDs head have another 300gms self patterning Aran yarn. Visiting DD in July so she may get as birthday present.

Still got enough cards, wrapping paper and crackers accumulated from previous years.

I have always had a few cards left over every year kept putting them in an old card box. I decided to count them about 2 years ago won't need any for years.

I even have my stamps this year thanks to Royal Mail Surveys.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 10th Mar 15, 12:48 AM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 10th Mar 15, 12:48 AM
    • 10th Mar 15, 12:48 AM
    I'm slowly getting sorted for Xmas 2015

Have
    cards
    wrapping paper
    gift tags
    ribbon
    stamps (another Royal Mail survey)

Presents - 30 finished, 6 work progress
    Family - get nearer the time.

all presents were brought in the sales, esp Boots 75% - save a fortune. xx
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Mar 15, 5:14 AM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 35,319 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    I have quite a stash of Xmas presents already in the back wardrobe (and quite a few birthday presents too) courtesy of the after Xmas sales. Boots was nowhere near as good this time but I still managed to get quite a lot of stuff when down to 70& off. Both instore and on-line.

I can't get the 3 DGDs presents till nearer the time though as you never know what the latest craze is going to be!

I have had a prune of my Xmas card hoard and sent a lot of packs to the Charity shop. They got carried forward year after year and never sent to anybody - only bought them 'cos they were well reduced I think!

A bit early to be thinking of food though I did get a few jars of mincemeat and chutney in Sainsbo reduced to 10p, good dates on them.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 10th Mar 15, 10:42 AM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    cat4772
    I was lucky enough to get to Wilkos and grab some chrimbo bargains in the January sales and added to my stash of tree decorations (to gift), wrap, crackers, cards, gift tags, sticky tape etc.

I'm planning to make a few HM gifts - I've taken up crochet so will be gifting decorations, scarves, blankets etc that I make over the year. My gift list has greatly reduced but I think this year I need to treat the hubster to an all signing and dancing ipod! we bought one apiece about 7-8 years ago and his died and he's now using mine but I'm sure that will not last forever.

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 10th Mar 15, 10:43 AM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    cat4772
    I also tend to pick some stocking filler / elf on the shelf gifts through the year from £shops.

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 10th Mar 15, 4:01 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I have started already, so far I have got
    £75 in my sistercas fund
    £57 in the coupon/lotto pot.
    Christmas pudding that was half price in Aldi (It is lovely and we get one in the sale every year)
    2 jars of mincemeat 10p each from Sainsbobs
    4 frozen party packs that were half price in Aldi and have a date code of July 2016 so are safely in the freezer.
    I have some stocking fillers, presents, cards, paper and sellotape, courtesy of Wilko's 75% sale and crackers and gifts from the Sports direct sale.

We have also replaced the bags of coal that we used, the firelogs and kindling plus a friend has had two trees taken down, she made her gardener chop them into logs and they are outside seasoning, plus we have a large delivery of pallets on their way

I also bought some books from The Works using my reward points so free pressies.

I have to stop for a few months because of renewing the bathroom, taxing the car and lots of birthdays up until May including DS's 21st.
    But you can bet I will be back on track from the middle of May.

I aim to get most of Christmas sorted by the end of October
    Last edited by Butterfly Brain; 10-03-2015 at 4:05 PM.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 10th Mar 15, 8:33 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Loving to see the thread being used

Keep up the christmas planning folks!!!! I still have my santa lava lamp up, he's my concessionary christmas decoration i get to keep all year round

• carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 11th Mar 15, 7:35 PM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Only need GS plus perishables for hampers
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 11th Mar 15, 8:17 PM
    • 1,569 Posts
    • 8,483 Thanks
    MandM90
    Wow. Who are you people!?

I might come back early June and see if I can get a few HM gifts made. I always say I'll do HM then run out of time and spend a fortune instead.

I'm in awe.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Mar 15, 3:44 AM
    • 6,047 Posts
    • 35,081 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    BAH HUMBUG

And last Christmas' pudding is still festering on the side. It may see Easter!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • craigywv
    • By craigywv 12th Mar 15, 6:49 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 27,825 Thanks
    craigywv
    I have got all my stocking fillers in courtesy of where i work also all pj from primark and bhs in sales. Got 100 gift voucher for tescos from sky for recommending a friend and have 22 in stamps saved also. Scarfs hats etc all in too. Just saving 2 pound coins in a tin for main present for son whatever that may be when he tells me. Oh and family mostly all in making bags of small stufff for tthem will get sweets etc in november. Got everyone slippers local shop closed down after christmas so 8 pairs in cupboard !!!!! For 2 quid each. I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve christmas!!!!!!!!!!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
    • Possession
    • By Possession 12th Mar 15, 7:01 AM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    Ooh a shiny thread! I love the way the first thread just builds and builds every year! We've just moved house and I have no idea what my name is even so Christmas is a looong way off in this house this year.

• PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 12th Mar 15, 8:29 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    PenguinOfDeath
    I already have a couple of presents including a back up present for my Dad from last year that wasn't needed in the end.

I'm trying not to build up as much of a stash as previous years as it gets silly and I get irritated at the space it takes up. However I am annoyed the tesco toy sale wasn't as good as last year, still keeping an eye open!

I still have plenty of wrapping paper and cards (if I bother this time) left over. Hopefully I'll remember this later in the year...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,884Posts Today

5,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin