Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 6,033Posts
    • 31,871Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa 185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
Page 112
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:11 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    My DD did Law at Lincoln, great place

Hi Alex, to quote Rafiki "the past is the past but it can hurt" My take on the past is that the decision made at the time was the right one at that time. The reason you might make a different decision now is purely down to the circumstances and/or you not being the same.
    Originally posted by SueP19
    My past hurts a lot, unfortunately and coming to terms with the fact I potentially made decisions that were right for me at the time makes me feel rather ill. I'm far from the same, can't even stand to see photos of me from ten/fifteen years ago and won't let my wife display any photos of our wedding, which I know she would like to, as I can't face looking at myself from those times.

Good to read you managed to get away for a nice sunny break you are so lucky.

I don't think anybody returning from a lovely sunny place, back to work,/school/reality is ever in a good place as for finances, I think most have hit , still we can all play catch up in the NY, well that's my plan anyway, I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, one or two months off is no time at all, I will catch up, I will.

So long as I see something/anything albeit little change then I'm happy, I've everything (bill wise) coming in, in the next few probably couple of weeks and I got left out of the o/t info, so I have 1 night which will bring me 30 clear, so I just have to keep listing on the b@y, which seems harder work atm.

As for DS birthday, it always takes me longer to decide what to buy, rather than actually go get it. Has your DS been asking for anything he may like/want. Riding lessons?, riding equipment ? a remote controlled car ?
    a mini workbench & tools (so he can copy Dad) Lots of ideas just need to decide.

Oh, and that 10 short in your savings, is annoying me
    Originally posted by A Frayed Knot
    OK, OK I'll deal with the 10.

Thanks for all the advice / ideas. I think I'll be catching up a lot in the new year.

We have sorted a riding party at my cousin's, so far. No gifts as yet, though.

You've still got 3 weeks, plenty of time.

Glad you had a nice time away.

Me too. I don't think Alex is the OCD type regarding tidy finance numbers, though, judging by how long he's let it remain. I would have lasted about 10 minutes, I think.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Less than two weeks now.

No, I'm not OCD re. finances, do think I'd be much better if I were though.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:16 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    A Frayed Not is right - catch up in the NY.

I am lucky that the money from our rental is our OPs at the moment - if we didn't have that there wouldn't be anything being OPed.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Glad you had a good week away - how nice to get some sun...

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Nothing is being OPed here at the moment. Financially things are difficult and we've spent a lot of money on cars. I know everyone on here thinks it's an extravagance, so I won't go into details other than to say one thing turned into another and the bills have mounted up to thousands. I think all this happening at once has made me quite ill.

That's a brilliant step.

I hope things improve for you soon.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Thanks, HS.

Have been keeping the spreadsheet updated.

Hi Alex. What happened about teacher training?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    I've applied.... and have an interview lined up...
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:32 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Well, I've forced myself to respond to all those who have taken time to respond to me on here. Strangely, it's helped a lot. I suppose it's made me think a little and confront some things I'd been trying not to think about (living in the present and not the past, mostly).

Hoping to make this week a little more positive than last and have started going to bed at reasonable times over the past few days. Last week got quite bad. This week is set to be busy and we need to get everything bought and wrapped up for our son's birthday. I cannot believe he is going to be 6 and honestly not sure whether to smile or cry. Yes, it's a little pathetic but whilst it is fantastic to see him growing I terribly miss that year before he went to school. My school work is keeping me busy and sane at the moment, I'm starting to learn not to bring things home with me and that pupils will only do what they put their minds to do. Them not practising is not my fault or problem. My wife told me that so long as they are safe and well, their circumstances are not my problem and it's not my place to be spending money on them and allowing them not to pay me for services rendered. Implementing some stricter boundaries is what I needed to do and I am no longer feeling personally guilty for them not having the right instruments / books etc. etc. Though not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I've started to apply some of the boundaries I have with tenants to teaching but it has at least stopped me spending personal money on them and making losses in what should be a profit making activity.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 6th Nov 16, 10:54 PM
    • 10,164 Posts
    • 57,107 Thanks
    SingleSue
    I'm with you on the disbelief of offspring getting older....going on uni open days has really brought it home to me that youngest will be flying the nest next year and I am finding it very difficult to get my head around it.

I fear that I will be a crumbling mess the day we drop him off for his first day of university and that he will be a very embarrassed young man indeed
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 6th Nov 16, 11:35 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 10,365 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Sounds like your sorting yourself out. That's such a lovely idea for your sons birthday, with his love of horses, he will be delighted and excited, does he know about it, or is it a surprise?

As I said, I do think quite a few have hit but not to worry, there is always time to play catch up, no point in worrying, as someone said to me quite recently (in a different context, really but I apply it to most things, now) "There's no point in worrying, it's not going to change the outcome" and she's right has saved me a lot of worrying since I heard this.

Excellent work re the spreadsheet, and keeping it up to date. Oh and the job application and job interview, Well Done wish yo well and luck with the interview.
    And good to read, your going to deal with the 10 short in your savings

It's the little things that make people happy
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 20 months 4/24
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• maman
    • By maman 6th Nov 16, 11:46 PM
    • 17,778 Posts
    • 106,493 Thanks
    maman
    Originally posted by AlexLK

Good luck with the interview and do keep us posted.

My school work is keeping me busy and sane at the moment, I'm starting to learn not to bring things home with me and that pupils will only do what they put their minds to do. Them not practising is not my fault or problem. My wife told me that so long as they are safe and well, their circumstances are not my problem and it's not my place to be spending money on them and allowing them not to pay me for services rendered. Implementing some stricter boundaries is what I needed to do and I am no longer feeling personally guilty for them not having the right instruments / books etc. etc. Though not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I've started to apply some of the boundaries I have with tenants to teaching but it has at least stopped me spending personal money on them and making losses in what should be a profit making activity.

It's a good thing IMO. Just like people in, for example, the medical profession you have to keep a professional distance and remember they're not your children. Good preparation for if you go into teaching.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 6th Nov 16, 11:54 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    kelpie35

Hope all goes well with the interview.

From reading some of your posts I think this would be an excellent job for you.

Take care
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Nov 16, 6:49 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 7,004 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Good luck with the interview.

I would have loved a birthday party like that when I was your sons age, how wonderful.
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Nov 16, 12:28 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 20,865 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Great news about the job interview!

Keep us up to date.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: 91,471.25 (11.01.2018)
    OP's to Date 5500

Renovation Fund:736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx 2.50 (after microwave purchase
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Nov 16, 11:11 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I'm with you on the disbelief of offspring getting older....going on uni open days has really brought it home to me that youngest will be flying the nest next year and I am finding it very difficult to get my head around it.

I fear that I will be a crumbling mess the day we drop him off for his first day of university and that he will be a very embarrassed young man indeed
    Originally posted by SingleSue
    Certainly must be exciting but also a difficult time as a parent.

Good luck with it all.

Sounds like your sorting yourself out. That's such a lovely idea for your sons birthday, with his love of horses, he will be delighted and excited, does he know about it, or is it a surprise?

As I said, I do think quite a few have hit but not to worry, there is always time to play catch up, no point in worrying, as someone said to me quite recently (in a different context, really but I apply it to most things, now) "There's no point in worrying, it's not going to change the outcome" and she's right has saved me a lot of worrying since I heard this.

Excellent work re the spreadsheet, and keeping it up to date. Oh and the job application and job interview, Well Done wish yo well and luck with the interview.
    And good to read, your going to deal with the 10 short in your savings

It's the little things that make people happy
    Thank you, AFK. ... Going to leave the 10 just little longer to purposely annoy you every time you read any of my posts.

I think I'll spend the rest of my days sorting myself out, AFK.

Son's party is a surprise. My in-laws bought him a lovely grooming kit quite a while ago now for his birthday, so that fits really well with his party. I do now have one present sorted; a nice French 1/4 size violin. His first 'proper' violin as far as I am concerned. Yes, the month really has gone from bad to worse financially speaking now! We will buy probably two more things, only criteria being that they are inexpensive and useful.

Not sure anything will stop my concern for the future and regret for the past. However, I do know I cannot let those concerns carry on ruling my life.

Good luck with the interview and do keep us posted.

It's a good thing IMO. Just like people in, for example, the medical profession you have to keep a professional distance and remember they're not your children. Good preparation for if you go into teaching.
    Originally posted by maman
    Thank you, maman.

It seems to be working well so far. It likely seems a little cold but whilst I would always try to help my (parents') tenants, ultimately I keep strict boundaries and won't let them take the ****. My wife made me realise that in some ways a landlord / tenant relationship is not so far removed from a parent / teacher one. I didn't have those boundaries; as a result some parents were taking advantage and I was making myself ill being concerned about pupils. Funnily enough your comments a while back about not spending your own money on pupils made me think about it too.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Nov 16, 11:29 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK

Hope all goes well with the interview.

From reading some of your posts I think this would be an excellent job for you.

Take care
    Originally posted by kelpie35
    Good luck with the interview.

I would have loved a birthday party like that when I was your sons age, how wonderful.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Great news about the job interview!

Keep us up to date.

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Thank you all.

I hope I've found the right profession for me, Kelpie. Even if it isn't, I'll be glad I've given it a go. This is, of course, if they'll have me.

I do try to be thoughtful and design a party around my son's interests. Wife has started on the annual birthday art and craft project for his party. Tonight was stamping a horse motif onto invitations, envelopes and paper cups as well as starting to make a quilt with the same horse motif.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Nov 16, 11:43 PM
    • 17,778 Posts
    • 106,493 Thanks
    maman
    Occurs to me Alex that you have been happier with a professional relationship with your parents over your BTL job.
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 7th Nov 16, 11:51 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 10,365 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Thank you, AFK. ... Going to leave the 10 just little longer to purposely annoy you every time you read any of my posts.

Oh, ha ha, very funny , Is it my imagination or have you enlarged your Savings Signature quote ?? I'm sure you have, just to annoy me even more

I think I'll spend the rest of my days sorting myself out, AFK.

I feel the same with my "room of doom" and myself.

Son's party is a surprise. My in-laws bought him a lovely grooming kit quite a while ago now for his birthday, so that fits really well with his party. I do now have one present sorted; a nice French 1/4 size violin. His first 'proper' violin as far as I am concerned.
    What a lovely thoughtful idea and present, I'm sure he will be more than happy with both the presents he is about to receive, he's one lucky 6 year old.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 20 months 4/24
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 8th Nov 16, 6:47 AM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 7,298 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Little K will have a lovely birthday if the party plans and presents are anything to go by. And who knew Mrs K was a craft queen? It sounds like everything will be beautifully co-ordinated. Very thoughtful present from the in laws too, they clearly want to be supportive of your son's interests. Good luck with the interview Alex.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 6 April 17,500.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Nov 16, 9:59 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Occurs to me Alex that you have been happier with a professional relationship with your parents over your BTL job.
    Thanks, maman. Certainly trying to keep business meetings as business meetings and not talking about business matters on personal meetings; it does seem to be working better.

Father still seems to want to tell me about the old days all the time and on personal visits I'm being fairly indulgent of this. I suppose I am quite pleased he's sharing this information in a way. Today we visited the street he grew up on as a child and took some photos (I'm compiling a book of his memories / old photos etc.).

What a lovely thoughtful idea and present, I'm sure he will be more than happy with both the presents he is about to receive, he's one lucky 6 year old.
    Re the savings signature.

I always try to be as thoughtful as I can so far as presents are concerned. I don't like the idea of buying things that won't be used and the recipient won't know what to do with.

Little K will have a lovely birthday if the party plans and presents are anything to go by. And who knew Mrs K was a craft queen? It sounds like everything will be beautifully co-ordinated. Very thoughtful present from the in laws too, they clearly want to be supportive of your son's interests. Good luck with the interview Alex.
    Originally posted by tootallulah
    Thank you.

I hope so. We're always a bit last minute about these things but it has always turned out well so far.

My wife is a very good artist and sometimes does craft projects, though she prefers painting. This Christmas my parents are receiving a painting of their house and she's painting a landscape for my in-laws. My in-laws have become much closer to my son after I agreed to take him there each half term, I suppose they've got to know him and their children and grandchildren are very important to them.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Nov 16, 10:18 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Today I updated the spreadsheet and found we'd spent 240 last week on petrol and over 120 on food (including one pub meal). As things are financially awful at the moment, I do think we need to economise a little.

No chance of an overpayment this month. We've now completely wiped out the savings with the roof replacement, MGB and all the unexpected car bills that have arisen over the past few months. I've been making myself ill thinking about it but have come to realise that it isn't going to make anything better, so am back to slowly decluttering and a little antiques trading in my spare time which should raise some funds as this is how I've managed to save money thus far.

We're hoping to get the bathroom sorted next year and I am going to also have to find 9,250 for the teacher training tuition fee (over 2017-18) if I get a place, unless I manage to get onto one of the courses I've applied for as for that particular one the school pays a salary for the trainee to work there.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 8th Nov 16, 10:25 PM
    • 6,219 Posts
    • 42,944 Thanks
    newgirly
    Blimey Alex, where have you seen driving to

It's not too late to set yourself a grocery challenge for the end of the year I'm having a go at one. With the tuition fees, sorry if it's a silly question but why would you not get a student loan for it?
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/9,626 paid so far

Mortgage 39,159.44 -4yrs 2 mths left. Total owed 52,364 plan to clear in 14 months
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Nov 16, 10:42 AM
    • 17,778 Posts
    • 106,493 Thanks
    maman
    Hope you're having a good weekend Alex.

Quick post because I was listening to an interview with
    Sheku Kanneh-Mason, Young Musician of the Year, and thought of you and LittleK.

He sounds like a charming young man and I thought he'd be an inspiration to your pupils.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p048l42y

Apparently he's going to be on BBC4 sometime this month.
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 12th Nov 16, 10:52 AM
    • 10,164 Posts
    • 57,107 Thanks
    SingleSue
    240 in a week on petrol! Blimey, where did you go?

I spent 15 and did over 100 miles...
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 14th Nov 16, 9:26 AM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    We were showing one of the cars at the NEC classic car show, so had another ridiculously expensive long week(end).

Blimey Alex, where have you seen driving to

It's not too late to set yourself a grocery challenge for the end of the year I'm having a go at one. With the tuition fees, sorry if it's a silly question but why would you not get a student loan for it?
    Originally posted by newgirly
    We did quite a few miles in that week.

Do think we need to have a grocery challenge, really.

Tuition fees: would rather pay myself than have to pay back with interest through taxes.

Hope you're having a good weekend Alex.

Quick post because I was listening to an interview with
    Sheku Kanneh-Mason, Young Musician of the Year, and thought of you and LittleK.

He sounds like a charming young man and I thought he'd be an inspiration to your pupils.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p048l42y

Apparently he's going to be on BBC4 sometime this month.
    Had a wonderful weekend.

I'll definitely check this out, thank you.

240 in a week on petrol! Blimey, where did you go?

I spent 15 and did over 100 miles...
    Originally posted by SingleSue
    Mainly driving in the Jag ... which achieves 16/17mpg, so wouldn't get over 100 miles for 15.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin