PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Monna there's a science behind your strategy, much the same as the fasting diet but connected to early man's feast and famine scenario. So pleased something is working for you :D

I was watching a series not long back that showed how food offered to guests was a sign of wealth and status through history. I tend to think that if folks are wired to show off, then show off whatever way they can.

Personally, although not one jot of me us fashionable anymore, I am a sucker for health claims. At present I have aloe vera juice in the fridge and, to some, I could well be sign as a bit forward thinking because it's quite a fashionable anti-inflammatory blah blah but aloe vera is age old so...

As with everything, where's hype there's money, advertising and comsumerism. It's why my other anti inflammatory is eucalyptus honey because it's more thsn half the price of manuka and while manuka is fashionable and there's claims that there's more sold than is actually produced, i'll take a step down, not be fashionable and try to keep the pennies low.

Ah health. Blips. I have been doing so well. Medication issues meant I haven't been doing well with the Asthma and suffered a set back but also sad to report, as I am cross I need them, I'm on meds for as anxiety. Without going in to details I'm dealing a lot with mam, although not physically but it takes it's toll mentally, and the GP felt like I shoukd have help with the anxiety inorder to help with the Asthma and recovering from the damage done from me not knowing about the darned issue! Plus also my 'digestion' issues are being tested for a tummybacteria. I neded to provide a number 2 sample and typical bliddy awkward me decided that the first time in my life I need a number 2 at 3 o'clock in the morning is the time I need to collect a sample! Dreadful business! So the saga continues but I am signed up to the yearly pre pay prescriptions and I have to thank you all for alerting me to it. You're saving us a small fortune :)
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    Options
    Fuddle, I am sorry to hear you haven't been so well, I hope the anxiety problems are resolved soon.

I don't know whether you know but Himself has been very ill recently with heart failure, and a by product of that was he had cellulitis in his legs and ulcers developed, some of which were very deep. All the GP gave him was a moisturiser and bandages. Well, of course, they didn't improve, so I sent for some manuka honey dressings (medical grade) and they have worked wonders. All the ulcers have healed (fingers crossed) and lovely new pink skin is in place. His legs are not pretty because of the scarring, but at least they have healed.

I hadn't heard of eucalyptus honey, but I had read an article on manuka. I understand the NHS will use it as a last resort because it is expensive, and when we went to see the cardiologist last week I told him what we had been using and he already knew how good it was.

Look after yourself, and I hope things improve for you soon.

Much love

Candlelightx
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fuddle Aloe Vera has been scientifically tested and proved to be very beneficial in healing wounds. Well worth keeping for the kids.

Honey has also been thoroughly tested. As a sugar it is very little different from ordinary sugar. It has no value over sugar for sweetening. The body can't tell the difference.

Manuka honey has been tested and found to have no nutritional or healing over any other honey. Honey has been used in healing for thousands of years for different types of ulcers. We were using it for ulcers and bed sores when I was a student nurse. Science superceded it. Not for any scientific reason I suspect even the NHS has it's fashions.

They are now using honey dressings again. They work better and they have been tested with double blind tests etc. It is the added ingredients the bees put in honey. There are not enough of them for anything but what is called topical application. That's why honey can relieve a sore throat. Topical is directly applied to a would for example.

As far as hay fever is concerned local honey has no benefit but local raw honey taken with the pollen may help. It is probably easier to get desensitised by a doctor. You can't buy raw honey you need to get it direct from the bee keeper and it needs to be very local not 50 miles away.

I have been thinking about when to eat main meals and I think there is possibly something in it. Worth having a go anyway. I am still struggling with DS's late shifts. He has 3 this week though he is not supposed to have more than 2. He has to have two days off, Saturdays and Sundays they do not open until 9pm anyway, you have to work to 9.15pm for it to be a late until 8pm does not count. They are giving him two 8pm finishes and three 9.15pm finishes. I have put on nearly 4 kg since February.

I feel it is a bit mean to be giving DS warmed up meals every day as well as me not linking eating alone much. I tend to stop eating if I have too many main meals on my own. Yes I know I may have to do it eventually.

I think I may give it a try. DS has had to drop his hours to 20 because his new department will not let him work for another department. He feels 8 hours a day pushing very heavy trolleys around is too much he is in pain continually.

No one else in his department has tried 8 hour they none of them have done more than 4 and the supervisors have done no time whatsoever.

Sorry you are having medication problems fuddle it is quite common with a lot of long term conditions. I was years getting my blood pressure sorted. I think it's sods law. The next one may be perfect.
  • fuddle
    edited 25 May 2016 at 5:24PM
    Options
    Fab candlelight. I have heard good reports on those dressings too but sadly I saw only the elderly who could put their point across be given them. Also cream to treat and prevent pressure sores comes in with manuka honey in too. It is available on the NHS but again it is said to be more expensive and only those that could argue/fight/express annoyance etc that would have access to it. Just so you know ;) Medihoney

Cross post with you nursemaggie. What setting did you nurse in nm? If you don'tneed mind me asking :)
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Did everything as a student. trained maternity nurse in 70s shorter course than midwife. Did everything but deliver babies. Did both maternity and elderly care after that. Gave up nursing die to bad back in late 40s and managed sheltered housing schemes until retirement.

Sorry to hear Himself has been ill canlelight glad to hear he is getting better.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    Fuddle so sorry you haven't been so well! I did wonder if you were okay, and obviously you weren't. I hope you will soon be feeling much better, and you certainly shouldn't feel bad about needing help with anxiety xx

Candlelight My elderly friend has an ulcer on her leg which healed but then appeared again and has taken weeks and weeks to start healing. I think I will suggest the manuka honey dressings to her daughter. When we visited NZ we learned that most people there have a tube of manuka honey cream to hand in case of cuts and grazes; I bought some and was very sad when it went out of date as it did work really well.
    When a friend's little grandson in Australia had an accident and burnt his hands the doctor told them to use Medi-Honey dressings on them.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Ivyleaf, sometimes the old remedies are best, it certainly worked for him. As I say his legs are not pretty, but he never used to wear shorts anyway. He was very naughty because I kept saying to him (having seen how swollen his legs were) you must be careful of ulcers, and all the time he had some.

I know Lyn said she keeps manuka honey in her first aid box.

I sent for the tubes and the dressings, and you could almost see the colour coming back into his legs after they were applied.

Nursemaggie, thank you, he lost 4 stone in fluid once treatment commenced (intravenous diuretic). He has to weigh himself each morning to be sure he isn't gaining fluid again. The heart failure nurses say he probably will have a relapse at some point, through no fault of his own, and we just have to phone them and go straight to the hospital. He is only allowed one and half litres of fluid a day, which is sometimes quite difficult to keep to.

Candlelightx
  • fuddle
    edited 25 May 2016 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Is he recovering ok candlelight? Was the fluid ascites? My mam has what I think is ascites again (cirrhosis) but she's in denial and won't get it drained. She nearly died last summer so my feeling is she's on borrowed time now.

I've seen the angry state of cellulitis candlelight with some people still having it a year later. It must have been hellish for both of you.

Once your back goes eh nm and my guess is nurses wouldn't have the protective safe guards then that I had when I was caring.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Oh Fuddle, he was in a dreadful state. I had begged him to go to the GP, in the end he agreed we should go to A&E and they admitted him almost straight away.

Yes he did have ascites, he looked about 9 months pregnant, his right lung was full of fluid, his left had some, and the fluid was half way up his back, he was in a dreadful state. His legs were like tree trunks, and to be honest he wouldn't have lasted much longer if we hadn't gone to hospital.

The hospital were wonderful, after the initial admission we then went to the ward every morning for 2 weeks for the diuretic to be administered and the usual observations recorded, and he also had "water" tablets to take every afternoon. It was amazing how quickly he lost the fluid, poor man could barely reach the toilet in time !!

He had a heart attack 8 years ago, and they say they are finding that heart failure can happen some years after that event. Obviously not in all cases, but I know this had been coming on for some while.

He has now set a goal of going to Norfolk for a few days towards the end of summer. He is fine to drive, but has to take it steady walking in case he becomes breathless, but hopefully we will get there.

Thank you for your concern, and I am sorry about your Mum, she must be a dreadful worry to you, as Himself is to me, but it must be difficult for you when you don't live close to her.

Candlelightx
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting talk about the honey dressings as I've been treated with them twice by the nurse at the docs surgery, once a couple of years ago for a yellow fly bite I got in the USA and just recently for a kitten bite and scratch. I was talking about it to someone and when googling came up with the Medi-honey website with a pack of dressings at £55 :T

Mentioned it to the nurse when I went back to have the dressing removed and she said they were nothing like as expensive but I didn't look further into it. I also remember watching a vets programme where a dog had a bad wound and they used just normal honey out of a squeezy bottle straight into the wound. Just recently used an aloe Vera cream to take the itching out of mosquito bites, worked well.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure