Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    • 14,429Posts
    • 47,874Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Happy Savings Fund
    • 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    The Happy Savings Fund 18th Feb 15 at 6:31 PM
    I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-12-2016 at 8:16 PM. Reason: to re-focus my savings
    Trying to be a frugal minimalist. 13/31 NSDs. Saving £2 in money boxes.
Page 126
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jan 20, 8:37 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello my darlings, yes that's a good way to think about it Skinty. It is still only a small spend and on food. Kitty Jaffa cakes??? I can't trust myself with those. They are so moreish!

Oh yes this is the lowest credit card bill I have ever had in my life, my previous record was £60.

I did look again at bags on the internet and I have managed to talk myself out of them. I might have some extra savings at the end of the month if I keep going on like this.

I cannot believe how decluttered my house is now. I have some pictures to give to charity and the garage to sort in the spring but otherwise I am pretty well done.

I might start to revisit areas and see if there is anything else I can get rid of. It is such a nice feeling. The house is so easy and quick to clean now.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 14-01-2020 at 8:41 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jan 20, 10:26 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I see your crisps and I raise you a packet of Jaffa cakes!!
    Originally posted by Kittikins

I see your crisps and Jaffa cakes and raise you a kfc

Mind you it was not so good, an hour late and cold but didnít cost me anything as I got a full refund
    Balance 0% credit card £1360 Balance £548 £0
    0% Car Loan £7500 £160 a month last payment £140 due 1/1/2020 ~ paid in full
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jan 20, 7:02 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Today has been a NSD.

Work has been busy. I have cleared quite a few outstanding jobs, have a small pile of marking which I might look at tomorrow morning before work if can get out of bed early.

My dear friend at work is worried her contract job might be finishing and I will be so upset if work don't offer her a position as her work has been first class. It just makes you realise how precarious the current job market is. It just reminds me that I must continue to save thank goodness for this site and all the friends on it as I have learned so much about saving from my time here.

I must start to look at the driving book so I am ready for possible redundancies/wage cuts which are likely.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 16th Jan 20, 10:22 AM
    • 4,879 Posts
    • 14,397 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    It's horrible isn't it.

Don't think anyone feels really secure anymore.

Dxxx
    DF 2018 £12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund £3,000.00
    Goal Weight by December 2020 0lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for £100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 16th Jan 20, 5:35 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Yep, I work in charities so dependent on yearly funding but I understand even permanent contracts aren't secure either. I was actually reading my companies redundancy policies yesterday! Felt a little reassured as it says they will give you a job of the similar type if they're happy that you can do it, without going through a dreaded interview. Having been homeless twice and firstly, almost losing my university place and then secondly almost losing my job, it's a big motivation for me to work in a good company and save as well as possible, because I never ever want to experience that again.
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: Complete
    House Deposit: On-Going
    Second-Hand Replacement Car: On-Going
    And whatever else the future brings...
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Ladies I am with you, it is so different at work. One young work colleague has just booked a 2 week all inclusive summer holiday to Jamaica, she also went to America at Christmas and there is me and I'm watching every penny with the current work situation.

At the weekend I would like to do a little food shop and might be going out for a meal at the weekend providing I can get my work done.

Only one day to go...….
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 16-01-2020 at 7:13 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Another NSD!!!!! Hurrah and it is the weekend.

Plans are
    • shopping
    • washing
    • cleaning
    • lots of marking jobs
    • studying 2 units of a course
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jan 20, 8:35 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the NSD Enjoy the weekend x

I hope your friend has her contract renewed.
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jan 20, 9:51 AM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The boys visited last night with their new car and a lovely Chinese. it was such a great surprise as I didn't think their car was coming till next week. They entertained and fed me some lovely food and then they collected Andy's bike from my garage and took it home.

This morning I have had a lie in and am going to vacuum, wash up and wash whites. I am debating whether I should go food shopping tomorrow now as they have bought me some lovely Chinese food which will last for today.

I was so tired as I didn't have a day off at work this week I ended up spending most of the day in bed. I just woke up now and it is 7pm and I feel much better.

It has ended up being a NSD which is the benefit of feeling a bit exhausted. lol. I have been looking at my spending diary and realised I had more NSDs than I thought so I have updated my signature. It is hard as I keep getting urges to go to *bay and faceb*y but as I don't really go to the shops much that part has been ok.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 18-01-2020 at 7:48 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Jan 20, 9:23 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am glad you have rested SW and had lovely Chinese
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jan 20, 8:23 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Today I did all my marking helped by Steve and Andy who rang me at 6am and made me work!!!! I am up to date with everything now.

I also went to the corner shop and spent £4.11 on sausage rolls which I had to oven bake, crisps, sweeties and bananas. I also revisited one of my kitchen cupboards and decluttered it again and threw some pretty tins out as I don't really need them. I am sure I can still get rid of some more stuff from there.

Let's hope this is a good week Two weeks till payday!!!!
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 19-01-2020 at 9:35 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jan 20, 6:25 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah today was another NSD work was ok Im glad to be home. My office is so cliquey. I was desperate for a fizzy drink but just stuck to my tea which I bought from home.

I've a medical appointment tomorrow and I hope to buy some food too while I am near food shops. I'm going to try to write a list tonight as that's supposed to ensure I don't waste money.

Im also going to message a potential buyer to see if they are interested in purchasing some of my clutter.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The potential buyer still wants to buy some pictures and will spend £4 but not straight away. That's a relief as I wont need to take much clutter to the charity shop saving me taxi fare.

Today was my day off work. I had a medical appointment which went well and I also did food & toiletries shopping( £38)which will keep me going for ages and travel(£10). Then I spent plenty of time planning a trip for the students.

We are going on a trip tomorrow. I have to pay for travel.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 21-01-2020 at 7:13 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Jan 20, 7:30 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I hope the potential buyer is not messing you about SW!

Am glad to hear your medical appointment went well. Can you claim back travel expenses from work for your trip?
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Jan 20, 7:37 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    So do I but she seems genuine. It is only £4 so I will hold on for a while.

I am not sure if we can claim back for the trip. I can ask. It does seem quite exploitative I have to go in unpaid on my day off to organise the admin for the trip and then I have to pay for helpers to go on the trip out of my own money. Hopefully it is only £12 in total. Such is life in the public sector!!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Jan 20, 10:34 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I just bought a bargain bag for £24 including postage, it is £50 in shops and I don't have a black bag. Im using my bag sale money to pay for it. I know I don't need it. I have broken my resolution. No more eating out for rest of month.

I will list all my Kipling rucksacks to declutter properly sometime in half term to make up for it.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 21-01-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 22nd Jan 20, 10:28 AM
    • 4,879 Posts
    • 14,397 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    It's so hard to stick to isn't it.

I'm restarting my resolutions in February, January was just a trial run
    DF 2018 £12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund £3,000.00
    Goal Weight by December 2020 0lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for £100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Me too Dolly, lol. Today's work trip cost £12, I cant claim anything back from this but can claim £5 from a previous one. lol.

I am going to use my bag sale money to fund the bag leaving me with £8 in net sales. I could still kick myself though

I told some people at work that I was trying to have a no spend month they looked at me as though I was mad. Noone has ever heard of them in my office. PS, they all love to spend.

I have two days of work left and hope I don't spend anything.

I have just read some rather amazing posts on the thread where people post what they have saved by the age of 30. OMG. Some of the people are so smart. The richest people tend to be entrepreneurs. I don't think I could take the risks they do I would panic too much maybe that is why I am not so rich.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; Yesterday at 7:29 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,244Users online

Martin's Twitter