Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 16th Feb 15, 8:27 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel
    • 16th Feb 15, 8:27 AM
    MSE News: Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel 16th Feb 15 at 8:27 AM
    We've seen stacks of complaints from confused shoppers whose accounts have been debited £79 by Amazon...

Read the full story:

Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 14
    • john823
    • By john823 6th Jun 18, 4:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john823
    A couple of years ago, I attempted to become an Amazon seller as I had heard good reports about it as a platform for selling books and music. Although Amazon allowed me to register, they refused to let me list any product for sale. I rolled my eyes tutted and moved on to concentrate on eBay.
    A few months later I spotted a missing £39(?) from my bank account which was for a pro-seller account with Amazon, even though they would not let me have an account!
    I successfully reclaimed that and moved on forgetting all about it apart from avoiding Amazon like the plague and never using any of their services thinking that would keep me free from false payments.
    Early this week, I noticed a large drop in my balance in the bank account I use for eBay. Investigating I found that Amazon had helped themselves to £79 for an Amazon Prime subscription (it starts getting a little more interesting now) I got on to my bank who told me that while they agreed that it was bad practice, it wasn't quite fraudulent and advised me to contact Amazon and ask them to put it right. They even transferred my call to Amazon!
    Anyway, after frustrating hour on the phone, I terminated the call and contacted Amazon by email. After several reminders and about 48 hours they finally contacted me to say, wait for it, the only way they could refund me was for me to register as a Prime user and add my card details!
    I question how they can charge me for a service I did not want, did not sign up for and how they can only refund me if I sign up for a service that I did not ask for?
    If anybody wants to tell me that I must have clicked on a free trial or something or that as one of the phone operators suggested a family member must have used my card to sign up and before going any further I should phone family members in Cornwall, Yorkshire, Scotland and ask if any of them have visited my flat when I wasn't here and signed me up without telling me or even hanging about for a cup of tea I shall get very cross! .
    Rant over (for now).
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Jun 18, 8:08 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    If anybody wants to tell me that I must have clicked on a free trial or something or that as one of the phone operators suggested a family member must have used my card to sign up and before going any further I should phone family members in Cornwall, Yorkshire, Scotland and ask if any of them have visited my flat when I wasn't here and signed me up without telling me or even hanging about for a cup of tea I shall get very cross! .
    Originally posted by john823

You're going to have to get very cross then because I would say that accidentally clicking on a free trial offer is by far the most likely explanation (your other scenario is a lot less likely unless you have a particular family member in mind already).
    • john823
    • By john823 6th Jun 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john823
    Sorry, but even Amazon accept that I haven't accidentally clicked on anything.
    The only contact I've had with Amazon in the last year or so was a purchase from an eBay seller using Amazon FBA and that I was only aware of on delivery.

Surely if I'd accidentally subscribed to prime I would now have a Prime account and would not need to sign up for Prime to get a refund?
    Last edited by john823; 06-06-2018 at 9:10 PM.
    • john823
    • By john823 7th Jun 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john823
    Latest is that Amazon is now denying ever charging me for Prime.
    Do you think the police would be interested
    • Pat Malone
    • By Pat Malone 10th Jun 19, 10:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pat Malone
    'technical error'
    I think some of these posts are a little unfair. I was signed up to Amazon Prime without my knowledge. I did not knowingly click on anything that would sign me up to Prime, even for a free 30-day trial, because I have no use for it.
    Amazon has refunded two monthly contributions that were taken out of my credit card account before I realised they were stealing my money. I reported Amazon for fraud to my credit card company, and they issued me with a new card so the fraudsters can no longer make claims.
    Interestingly, an apologetic email from Amazon about why I was signed up for Prime says: “I would like to let you know that this was due to a technical error.”
    Normally they blame the victim.
    How many people are being robbed of their money due to this “technical error”?

Pat Malone
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jun 19, 1:20 PM
    • 23,602 Posts
    • 63,644 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think some of these posts are a little unfair. I was signed up to Amazon Prime without my knowledge. I did not knowingly click on anything that would sign me up to Prime, even for a free 30-day trial, because I have no use for it.
    Amazon has refunded two monthly contributions that were taken out of my credit card account before I realised they were stealing my money. I reported Amazon for fraud to my credit card company, and they issued me with a new card so the fraudsters can no longer make claims.
    Interestingly, an apologetic email from Amazon about why I was signed up for Prime says: “I would like to let you know that this was due to a technical error.”

Pat Malone
    Originally posted by Pat Malone
    Only those people who don't check their bank accounts regularly...
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 14th Jun 19, 9:10 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    Me too
    Amazon did the same thing to me twice in consecutive months. I am not a prime member as I will not pay for the privilege of shopping on their site. In the past two years they have refunded me £150 for unwanted prime, I always take extra care not to select anything to do with prime so how does this happen? Dodgy practice's that's why they are now the worlds richest company.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • archived user
    I purchased an item recently and it was impossible to check out without selecting free trail. I couldn't find where they had hidden the link for 'check out without this rubbish' option. I cancelled the prime next day. I had one month free access to their programmes that I didn't watch even though its free. which says something. Some of it it just home made video documentaries that you have already seen on youtube years ago.
    • cfw1994
    • By cfw1994 28th Jul 19, 2:47 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    cfw1994
    Surprisingly easy to bounce through accidentally selecting the Prime: feels like a highly dubious business practise to me.
    Then no way instantly reject it (I hadn’t even completed the translation, & still haven’t!). Reject on the web site treats it as if I wanted the trial month.
    How the heck do I instantly reject that? Their help systems gives no obvious way to email or chat to anyone: is Amazon now entirely run by wealthy ‘bots?!
    Pffft.
    • bhills
    • By bhills 9th Oct 19, 11:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bhills
    signed up to Amazon Prime without knowledge
    I have been signed up to Amazon Prime without even signing in/buying anything. I called to cancel and they say they will do that (and refunding) but will not say how I could have signed up. I have deleted my saved payments to try and stop this happening again. Has this happened to anyone else?
    • bhills
    • By bhills 9th Oct 19, 11:46 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bhills
    technical error

I too have been told my sign up was due to a technical error. This is surely illegal? I hate Amazon, I do not use it- there have been no purchases on my account for well over 2 years and I haven't logged in. I have now deleted my card (OBVS!), it is not obvious how you delete your account. Anyone know how to do that?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Oct 19, 11:57 AM
    • 23,798 Posts
    • 26,448 Thanks
    zx81
    [I]
    I too have been told my sign up was due to a technical error. This is surely illegal?
    Originally posted by bhills
    No. Errors are not illegal.

Otherwise everyone would be in prison.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,951Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter