Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Stepuptotheplate
    Time to step up to the plate..
    • 12th Feb 15, 11:24 PM
    Time to step up to the plate.. 12th Feb 15 at 11:24 PM
    Hi all

This is my first post with this username.. I have RL friends who use MSE and I'm embarrassed for them to know how much debt we have. I've been following several DFDs for a while and have found them so inspiring that I thought having one of my own would keep me to the straight and narrow. Not counting the mortgage, I owe a shade over 26000 but I had my LBM just before Christmas and that's already an improvement. I've done a first draft of an SOA and I'll post that in a bit. I'm lucky that I earn a good wage, and have a business too, which generates a variable amount every month, so I tend not to rely on that income.

Today's money saving has included switching my gas and electricity for both our properties, (our house and an annex) which should save 1000 a year!! I've also applied for (& been accepted!) for a 0% card. I'm going to wait until I see what the credit limit is before I decide which card to pay off. I'd like to pay the most expensive one off, which is the sensible choice, but it might be enough to clear my lowest card altogether so we'll see.

I'd appreciate some company.. But for now I'm off to bed. More tomorrow! (And it's payday! )
Page 28
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 26th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Happy Boxing Day! Lovely day yesterday, opened presents with parents on Skype so they could see DD. She said it was a perfect day
    More of the same planned today minus the present opening of course

I want to do some planning today.. financial, for the house, for me. I need a new 90 day goal, and it can't be fitness related as my goals usually are because of my knee. Could be health related, though, so maybe diet? Certainly needs an overhaul. Losing weight would help my knee too. For the house, it's to continue to declutter, and ideally I'd like to decorate the sitting room.
    Financial - to pay as much as I can off the debt. I've got a tax bill to pay in Jan, and then it's to attack the cards as hard as I can. We've got 3 holidays next year (one to see parents, which my darling dad has paid for) & 2 short breaks away in the caravan. I need to get my emergency fund to 1000 as well. It's currently at 600 but I may need it to pay HMRC.

All in all it's about keeping on plugging away at the debt. Small steps, one day at a time. Bit like dieting I guess
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 16208 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 1st Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Happy New Year all! I've been up for ages. No hangovers for me, I'm being much more mindful of my drinking so although I know I'm still drinking too much for my diet to ever be effective I am drinking less. Small steps again.
    Plans for today - my last day off work - include cooking a roast, and freecycling 2 chests of drawers that used to be in DD's bedroom, which now looks like one of those blue and yellow shop room displays She loves it
    I'd also like to sort out the dining room which has become a bit of a dumping ground over Christmas (again!). And then I'm going to ponder my next move career wise. There are aspects of my job that I really enjoy, but not enough of them. The money is good though, and DH shows no sign of job hunting for anything near his previous salary so I can't think about less money. And I (because it is just me) still have the debt to pay off. He's been looking at sailing holidays to which the answer is of course no. Sigh. Hard not to feel like I'm the wicked stepmother.. and quite alone.

Still I do have a lot to be grateful for, and I do count my blessings. Today I am grateful for a warm house, a fantastic relationship with my DD, and a job that pays the bills. And a very soppy dog. Not quite so alone really.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Found your diary

Happy New Year and good luck with your goals. On the TV this morning they were talking about SMART goals - small, measurable, achievable, realistic and timescale (or something like that), makes sense really. Best to break things down into manageable chunks.

I'm the only one on the MSE bandwagon in our house too - Mr SA just wants to spend and has no concept of money, he never has done.

I'm also looking to move upwards on the pay scale at work, seen far too many of my peers do it and I'm getting left behind, although I love what I do at the moment I'm capable of more.

It's good that you can see the positives,no point worrying about things you can't change, I've learned that the past few years - focus on what you can change and forget the rest.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 1st Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    SA!!! Lovely of you to pop by thank you, I'm writing out my goals in a shiny new notebook (love stationery!) and breaking them down into 30, 60 & 90 day goals.

Currently trawling through p!nterest to find ideas for my sitting room. No new furniture is within budget, so it is just the walls, but what colour?!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 10,783 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I love new notepads too. Bought a pile of pukka project pads in H&B months ago but can't find them at the moment.

I loved hockey. There's an art form to accidentally clipping people you don't likes ankles whilst looking very innocent
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 1st Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Hi redo - I think knowing how to wield a hockey stick is an art form
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 2nd Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 13,306 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Happy New Year! Step-Up - hope you achieve all your aims in 2018.

Rx
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 2nd Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 16,734 Thanks
    abba1772
    Happy new year xxx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 3572.57 NOW 983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 4430.14
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 2nd Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Lots of lovely visitors!!

First morning at work didn't go so badly, and I've had the afternoon off to see the consultant about my knee. He thinks it could be a meniscal tear 'presentation is consistent with...' so I now have an MRI booked for next week. And now I'm cwtched on the sofa with the tablet doing work emails. Much more comfy, and peaceful than at work!

Worked out the budget, and it is definitely tight this month (surprise!). I discussed it with DH last night and we're going to have a freezer surprise month as much as we can to squeeze the grocery bill as far as possible. Tonight is leftover roast, and DD and I are off the the panto (oh yes we are!) tickets were a birthday present. I'm going to take snacks with us
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 10,783 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I think there are a lot of people having freezer surprise this month. I'm trying to find nice recipes to use up several bags of white fish for the same reason.
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 14th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Two weeks since I posted! Time flies etc..

The freezer is looking a lot emptier which is good, as I'm absolutely skint. Thank goodness it's payday tomorrow. Already all allocated of course, but I'll feel better. We've had a busy couple of weeks, and it's been a bit of a shock to the system going back to work. Everyone seems quite grumpy.

Roast chicken for lunch today, and I've got a few bit and pieces I'd like to get done, so time for a list:

* washing x3
    * ironing for holiday let
    * start collecting paperwork for tax return
    * supervise DD homework
    * meal plan for the week
    * finalise 90 day goals

Think that's enough.. first though, finish my coffee and go and dry my hair!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Everyone was really grumpy where I work on that first week back. It's the anti-climax after Xmas. All back to normal now though.

I need to empty my freezer a bit more so it's not so hard to close the drawers!
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 29th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    How are you getting on with your freezer emptying, SA? Ours has gone very well, there are two empty drawers in the one freezer now, and the other (smaller) one is looking better too. I'm aiming for two meat free dinners this week too.. in particular a lentil and sweet potato curry which I'm really looking forward to.
    Work is completely bonkers. DH is being very supportive and doing more than his fair share. Which is good, if unexpected.
    I'm waiting on my p60 from work before I can submit my tax return. Nothing like a bit of pressure!!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 29th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Don't ask about the freezer emptying. I keep buying bargains or batch cooking and filling it up again
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 30th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Don't ask about the freezer emptying. I keep buying bargains or batch cooking and filling it up again
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    If they're proper bargains that's good though, isn't it? And batch cooking saves so much time and energy. We've got leftovers tonight I think. DD is on a school trip so won't be back til very late.

Works continues to be bonkers. Not sure how much more I can actually do, so there's a need for a sit down with my manager I think. I'm opening emails with a sinking stomach, that's never good.
    And I've had confirmation that I'm on the waiting list for an op on my knee

Updated my sig, which is going down very very very slowly. At least it's the right direction, though, eh?
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 11th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Over a month since I posted on here I really must try harder.
    But not a lot to report really. Things are creeping along. My financials are always tight over the winter, we don't get the holiday let income which definitely helps ease the budget.
    I'll work out the latest totals and update the sig later on.

Happy Mothering Sunday to you.. I always find today a bit odd. I've had 3 miscarriages and it's a tricky day, even with my lovely DD here. I've had flowers and chocolates (no lie-in, although I am still in my pjs ) and I'll do a roast later. We never go out today, it's too busy/expensive.

So, progress continues. Slowly, but at least in the right direction. Work is madly busy. So much so that my boss has agreed to hire in another person to do one aspect of my role, which gives you an idea of just how busy! It'll take time to recruit, but there's light at the end of that tunnel at least.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 11th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 16,734 Thanks
    abba1772
    Happy Mother's Day step up.........I'm still in my pjs as well lol xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 3572.57 NOW 983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 4430.14
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 5,847 Posts
    • 38,634 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Have a lovely relaxing day
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 11th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 7,267 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sounds like a perfect day..roast at yours?!

And fantastic re an imminent recruitment...just hold their feet to the fire if they fail/take an age.

Have a good day
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 25/500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 11th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Hi all!
    You'd all feel very welcome, I made loads! Roast pork, lots of crackling, and all the usual. Apple pie to finish. I've even had a nap (unheard of!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

6,011Users online

Martin's Twitter